Author Topic: I'm turning my oldest daughter into a DT fan.  (Read 2704 times)

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

I'm turning my oldest daughter into a DT fan.
« on: May 15, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
My wife and I, along with our four daughters, decided to drive to my parents house for Mothers Day in two cars this year. Something happened along the way. My oldest daughter rode with me and asked if we could listen to ADTOE on the roughly hour and a half long drive to Grandma's. I was more than happy to oblige. My wife is not a musical person. My three younger daughters (ages 9, 8 and 5) have also shown little to no interest so far. Along the way we talked about the rest of the DT albums she has heard me play. She told me she really liked TA, ADTOE, FII, IAW and SFAM. I thought I was destined to be the only one with an aptitude for music in the family until she showed an interest in the saxophone last year. I knew she was serious so I bought her one for her 11th birthday last October. She practices as often as she can, sometimes hours a day. She specifically mentioned "Through Her Eyes" and "Another Day" as favorite songs.

I'm proud that not only is she interested in learning to play a musical istrument but that she is taking to so seriously. Who knows. Maybe my other three will discover the gift of music as they get older. Do any other DTFers have kids that are budding musicians?

Offline Mladen

Re: I'm turning my oldest daughter into a DT fan.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
I'm proud that not only is she interested in learning to play a musical istrument but that she is taking to so seriously. Who knows. Maybe my other three will discover the gift of music as they get older.
I see what you did there.

No similar experiences here, but it's wonderful to hear about such things.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
Don't have kids yet,but will try DT with my future kids. Not sure if by that time they will still be an active band though

I was personally turned into a fan by a friend when I was 13. With SFAM
Seasons change and so can I

Offline t-bone2112

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
Something a bit similar here.  Huge DT and Rush fan.  My kids have heard me playing both bands' cds since they were born while in the car.  Both like music although they certainly aren't the DT fans I am.

Took my son to see DT on the SC tour.  Took both to see them on the ADTOE tour.  Didn't have to talk them in to it either time.

Another related story:  My daughter took a music appreciation class her senior year of high school.  The teacher would have music playing when the kids would enter the class each day.  One day, she walked in and he was playing a DT song (I don't know which one).  My daughter said to him, "Oh, Dream Theater.  My dad is a huge fan."  The teacher asked her what else I like, to which she replied "Rush is his other favorite band."  The teacher replied, "Wow, your father has a very sophisticated taste in music."

I was proud of her for recognizing the DT song and not being embarrassed enough to admit it (you know the crap other HS kids listen to)!

Offline PB1

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
Lol, just lol if your kids haven't memorized the acronyms for every DT album before their third birthday.

Offline wrighty

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:16:12 PM »
My eldest daughter is a flute player - to a pretty high level too.  I recorded us playing a bit of Octavarium.  I've spent the last year indoctrinating her and her brother into the music of DT, culminating last month in the three of us seeing them on the I&W tour. 

Here's the link, if it works! https://www.facebook.com/ian.wright.94009841/posts/1185855224771757

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
Dad of the year.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »
My wife and I, along with our four daughters, decided to drive to my parents house for Mothers Day in two cars this year. Something happened along the way. My oldest daughter rode with me and asked if we could listen to ADTOE on the roughly hour and a half long drive to Grandma's. I was more than happy to oblige. My wife is not a musical person. My three younger daughters (ages 9, 8 and 5) have also shown little to no interest so far. Along the way we talked about the rest of the DT albums she has heard me play. She told me she really liked TA, ADTOE, FII, IAW and SFAM. I thought I was destined to be the only one with an aptitude for music in the family until she showed an interest in the saxophone last year. I knew she was serious so I bought her one for her 11th birthday last October. She practices as often as she can, sometimes hours a day. She specifically mentioned "Through Her Eyes" and "Another Day" as favorite songs.

I'm proud that not only is she interested in learning to play a musical istrument but that she is taking to so seriously. Who knows. Maybe my other three will discover the gift of music as they get older. Do any other DTFers have kids that are budding musicians?

https://www.reddit.com/r/thatHappened/
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:00:32 AM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 02:27:57 AM »
I admit I was drinking a little bit and I read the titled of this thread as "I'm burning my oldest daughter in a RV van"  :lol

I'm glad that is not the case, it freaked me out for a second  :'(

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 02:47:41 AM »
My two boys absolutely hate DT and anything that sounds remotely like "rock". They've been programmed by commercial radio to hate any song which has a guitar or lasts more than 3.5 minutes.

I have failed as a parent..

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 05:31:39 AM »
My two boys absolutely hate DT and anything that sounds remotely like "rock". They've been programmed by commercial radio to hate any song which has a guitar or lasts more than 3.5 minutes.

My brother was like that when he was young. He did it more out of spite than anything. It's the same reason he used to root for the Mets. I'm not sure for which offense I should have kicked his ass. Maybe both.  ;)

Offline PB1

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »

Time to give your kids up for adoption.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
I admit I was drinking a little bit and I read the titled of this thread as "I'm burning my oldest daughter in a RV van"

:lol And instead of a fire extinguisher or calling the police, he desperately run to DTF to confess while it still happening..

lol.. This is the thread..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 05:42:23 AM »
I found the photo of my daughter in the ADTOE shirt my best friend bought for her. She is seven now and loves Dream Theater, along with Epica and Haken.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »
Very cute!

I missed this comment, but don't tempt me..  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 06:25:09 AM »
Very cute!

My magical sperm creates beautiful offspring.   ;)

I missed this comment, but don't tempt me..  :lol

I would love to see the adoption agency's reaction when you give them that reason. :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 06:40:05 AM »
If there's a form to be filled in I'd just put "irreconcilable creative differences". I'm sure they'd be good with that..

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 06:52:18 AM »
Father of the Year   :biggrin:

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 07:04:10 AM »
As you can see with my signature, the brainswashing started when my daughter was really young. I got her into Dream Theater by showing her the animation videos especially Enigma Machine and Octavarium. Now she is nearly 3 and she always laughs when Jordan turns into Santa Claus (with the Jingle Bells excerpt) and when I'm driving, she always wants to listen to "The Big Diamond" aka Enigma Machine (because of the big diamond that appears in the video).
She can recognize all the Dream Theater members and when asked what she wants to do later, she wants to play keys like Jordan :D Parenting done right!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »
I bow to your superior parenting abilities..  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
Mine doesn't recognize the members of DT yet. She does recognize Simone and Mark from Epica. As a matter of fact, whenever Mark does his beast vocals she always asks me why he's angry.  :lol

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 03:02:42 AM »
Parenting done right 2.0: when shopping at the toy shop, my daughter had to choose between a Rapunzel doll (she loves the movie) and a guitar. No pressure from me but she said: I want a guitar to play like John :metal :metal
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 03:39:25 AM »
Good job!  :biggrin:

Next step: getting her to play like this girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he7WgkbiWwU