Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183510 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The X Factor (1995)
« Reply #1085 on: August 22, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »
I've always just felt so bad for him over the Maiden thing!

Same.  He tried his best and put everything into it, it just didn't work.  Why Steve would make him sing some of these songs live and not alter the tunings is beyond me.

I feel sorry for the guy, but he would have gone nowhere with Wolfsbane so at least he has had something of a career even after the awesomeness of being in Iron fucking Maiden! And at least he isn't a nut job like DiAnno 😀

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1086 on: August 22, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Right. I think all in all, Blaze has done alright for himself.

I mean, even the fans that think he wasn't the right guy has to respect his courage and character. And he's developed a pretty strong solo discography. Endure And Survive, the album he released earlier this year, is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1087 on: August 22, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »

Same.  He tried his best and put everything into it, it just didn't work.  Why Steve would make him sing some of these songs live and not alter the tunings is beyond me.

I feel sorry for the guy, but he would have gone nowhere with Wolfsbane so at least he has had something of a career even after the awesomeness of being in Iron fucking Maiden! And at least he isn't a nut job like DiAnno 😀

This is a valid point. People show a lot of sympathy toward the guy, which is fine, but he's lucky to even be in the position he is in now thanks to Maiden. He might not draw a huge crowd but he gets to make albums and sing professionally. And yea he's way better off than Di'Anno ever was post-Maiden.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1088 on: August 22, 2017, 08:45:03 PM »

This is a valid point. People show a lot of sympathy toward the guy, which is fine, but he's lucky to even be in the position he is in now thanks to Maiden. He might not draw a huge crowd but he gets to make albums and sing professionally. And yea he's way better off than Di'Anno ever was post-Maiden.

Career-wise, yeah. But man, Blaze's life has had some tragedies in his post-Maiden life (i.e. his first solo album being overshadowed by Brave New World being released on the same day, his wife going into a coma and then dying back in 2008).
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1089 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
But man, Blaze's life has had some tragedies in his post-Maiden life ......his wife going into a coma and then dying back in 2008).

For those who have not heard it, the final four songs from his 2010 album Promise And Terror deal with the loss of his wife.

Surrounded By Sadness
The Trace of Things That Have No Words
Letting Go of the World
Comfortable in Darkness

This "suite" is absolutely mind blowing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1090 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »
I saw Dianno live twice, and he was embarassing. Blaze at least put out some great albums - Silicon Messiah is quite unique - and does not live in the shadow of his former band.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1091 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:02 PM »
But man, Blaze's life has had some tragedies in his post-Maiden life ......his wife going into a coma and then dying back in 2008).

For those who have not heard it, the final four songs from his 2010 album Promise And Terror deal with the loss of his wife.

Surrounded By Sadness
The Trace of Things That Have No Words
Letting Go of the World
Comfortable in Darkness

This "suite" is absolutely mind blowing.

Preach.

I'd argue that suite is almost definitely the greatest work Blaze has ever done in his career. Dude poured his heart out on that album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1092 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:56 PM »
Yup Mr. G. Phenomenal. The lyrics to The Trace make my hair stand up. Anyone reading this that hasn't heard these needs to live through these four tracks.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1093 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
We won't cover everything, but we'll briefly touch on some of Blaze's solo work later on.

I saw Dianno live twice, and he was embarassing. Blaze at least put out some great albums - Silicon Messiah is quite unique - and does not live in the shadow of his former band.
Blaze has definitely managed to acknowledge his past in Maiden while also being his own artist. When I listen to his solo work the last thing I'm thinking about is how he used to sing in Maiden. Unlike Paul Di'Anno who makes a living singing screaming the first two Maiden albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1094 on: August 23, 2017, 05:56:53 AM »
Dianno's work in the 80's was pretty interesting though. He released a self titled AOR style album, and the two Battlezone albums.
His voice was pretty much clean on these.

Offline Art

« Reply #1095 on: August 23, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
At least Maiden done right by Blaze when they fired him, in his own words, he got a nice paycheck in the end. Which he used to start his solo career. The first three Blaze solo albums are produced by Andy Sneap.

I know it's not something everybody would like, but i wish that, in a possible final Maiden show/tour they would ask Dianno and Blaze to sing some songs from their era live once again. Just a special event, a treat to the fans.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1096 on: August 23, 2017, 06:29:34 AM »
Dianno's work in the 80's was pretty interesting though. He released a self titled AOR style album, and the two Battlezone albums.

I'd say that up until his album Nomad, he's done some cool stuff. But his reliance on his past with Maiden has taken over completely since then, to the point that he sings ONE song off his solo stuff live, and the rest of the setlist is all Maiden...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1097 on: August 23, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »
I prefer Bruce overall, but I think, maybe, that Blaze's inexperience in the studio environment on those two Maiden records, along with not having a very experienced true producer, may have impacted the quality, no doubt.

Yes, totally.

Look, no knock on the guy.  Clearly a class act, and though I've never met him, he seems to be a stand up guy all the way.  I watched a live version of Wasted Years (yes, the Maiden song he didn't play on or do when he was in the band) and the intro was just pure class.    Grateful, humble, all the things you like to see.

But we're spending a LOT of time making excuses for this guy, vocally, in Maiden.    The production; the writer(s); Harris; the inexperience; the fans; Trump.     Look, Maiden is one of the three best metal bands IN HISTORY.  It's not as if "anyone can do that!", because they can't.   They wouldn't have been as big with Di'Anno or Bayley, or virtually ANYONE else.  It's not a knock on Blaze, necessarily, to say that it didn't work.   Gary Cherone is probably the best PURE singer in Van Halen, but no one (virtually) is putting "Van Halen III" in the "Classic" pile.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: August 23, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
At least Maiden done right by Blaze when they fired him, in his own words, he got a nice paycheck in the end. Which he used to start his solo career. The first three Blaze solo albums are produced by Andy Sneap.

I know it's not something everybody would like, but i wish that, in a possible final Maiden show/tour they would ask Dianno and Blaze to sing some songs from their era live once again. Just a special event, a treat to the fans.
I get the sentiment, and it's not a bad one, but based on what I've seen from Di'Anno in recent times, that would not be a treat at all, and honestly?  To have Di'Anno, Bayley, and Dickinson on the same stage, with Bruce singing at his full powers?  That would be embarrassing.   I don't see that happening. 

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »
I've listened to X Factor a few times and feel the need to channel my inner Tim.

This record's ass sucks it's own underwear! [shudder]

Next record please.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1100 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:46 AM »

Yeah, was going to back him on these but you beat me to it. Some very good albums there.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1101 on: August 23, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »

I get the sentiment, and it's not a bad one, but based on what I've seen from Di'Anno in recent times, that would not be a treat at all, and honestly?  To have Di'Anno, Bayley, and Dickinson on the same stage, with Bruce singing at his full powers?  That would be embarrassing.   I don't see that happening.

I'd like that, maybe for their last ever show. And maybe bring Dennis Stratton back for one song too, since he's made amends with Steve now.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1102 on: August 23, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
I don't want to see that.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1103 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
The main absence of course would be Clive... I guess Paul would find a way to embarrass himself, as he always does.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: August 23, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »

I'd like that, maybe for their last ever show. And maybe bring Dennis Stratton back for one song too, since he's made amends with Steve now.

I think it would be cool to see these guys get to do some songs with IM again, but at the same time, there's not a huge level of interest IMO.  Like people would just rather see Bruce sing those songs than have those guys come back out.  It would be nice for the hardcare fans and for the singers as well, but I don't think the fans overall are really itching for something like this and I doubt Steve would want to (or Bruce).  I'd rather just see Bruce sing Sign of the Cross or even do something different like Bruce singing The Educated Fool.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1105 on: August 23, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it'd be all that good of an idea to try and have Paul and Blaze both come on stage to perform with the rest of the band. Even if it were for a special event, such as the band's final live show.

Paul would be insanely out of his league if he shared the stage with Bruce and Blaze. His voice just isn't all that good anymore. And while Blaze has grown as a singer since his time in Maiden and still sounds pretty damn good, I don't think he has that same sort of charisma that Bruce has with commanding the stage and audience (tbf though who does?). Bruce would be jumping back and forth all across the stage as he sings the usuals, while Blaze and Paul would probably just be standing in one place and kinda hunched over as they sing.

And that would almost certainly be the case, because let's be honest- they won't ask Bruce to leave the stage for a few songs so that Paul or Blaze can helm the stage instead.

Dennis Stratton could maybe handle being on the stage with everyone else, but I dunno if that'd be an event that would really interest many people besides the diehard fans.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1106 on: August 23, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
Full set with Bruce

Encore:
Blood on the Worlds Hands w/Blaze
Wrathchild w/Paul
Iron Maiden with everyone including Stratton
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1107 on: August 23, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
Full set with Bruce

Encore:
Wrathchild w/Paul

I know it's the band's title song and all, but c'mon... if they were gonna ever do a song with everyone, it should at least be Phantom of the Opera.

Actually that makes me wonder... has Blaze ever sung Phantom before? I'd be interested in hearing his take on that song.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: August 23, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
Full set with Bruce

Encore:
Wrathchild w/Paul

Honestly, that's a pretty uninteresting encore from a song choice perspective.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1109 on: August 23, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
Full set with Bruce

Encore:
Wrathchild w/Paul

How about Running Free?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: August 23, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
Dennis Stratton could maybe handle being on the stage with everyone else, but I dunno if that'd be an event that would really interest many people besides the diehard fans.

Stadler=Diehard fan
Stadler=not really interested in seeing Dennis Stratton on stage with Maiden.  It would be a curiosity at best.

Though, having said that; I would love to see a four night run in a theater - ala Metallica - where you have the sets take the form of:

Couple songs
<Themed block>
Couple songs
Encore

The "Themed Block" could be:
- The Di'Anno years
- The Bruce years
- The Blaze years
- The Reunion years

The "Couple songs" could be the standards, or maybe it's a fan-voted thing, and the themed years could be the six-man band, with guests.   

I don't know; I'm spit-balling here.   But I don't want to really hear Dennis/Paul/Blaze circa 2017, unless it's the only way I get to hear songs like "Strange World", "Drifter", "Another Life", "Prodigal Son", etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1111 on: August 23, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »
But we're spending a LOT of time making excuses for this guy, vocally, in Maiden.    The production; the writer(s); Harris; the inexperience; the fans; Trump.     Look, Maiden is one of the three best metal bands IN HISTORY.  It's not as if "anyone can do that!", because they can't.   They wouldn't have been as big with Di'Anno or Bayley, or virtually ANYONE else.  It's not a knock on Blaze, necessarily, to say that it didn't work.   Gary Cherone is probably the best PURE singer in Van Halen, but no one (virtually) is putting "Van Halen III" in the "Classic" pile.

I don't think anyone is making excuses. I think people are pointing out issues at the time, plus nobody is going to rip Blaze for what he isn't.

Oh, and Gary Cherone has to be the most boring singer ever. Talented? Sure. Exciting? Nope. IMHO of course.

If there was ever an absolute infinite final gig, I could absolutely see Blaze being invited to take part in an encore. Absolutely. Not sure about DiAnno or where he is with Steve.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1112 on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

Oh, and Gary Cherone has to be the most boring singer ever. Talented? Sure. Exciting? Nope. IMHO of course.

DUDE!!  Have you heard any Extreme other than the singles??
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1113 on: August 23, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
You mean More Than Words isn't their only song?  ;D

I have tried Extreme many times, and while I'm sure you don't follow my posts, it's not news that I cannot get into Extreme in any way. I've enjoyed some live clips and all, but their studio stuff just does not translate. I've also checked out Tribe Of Judah, and again, I just can't get into what Cherone is selling. Don't forget, I'm also here in Extreme's hometown, so even going back to the mid 80's, I've been more than aware of them.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1114 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »

I don't think anyone is making excuses. I think people are pointing out issues at the time, plus nobody is going to rip Blaze for what he isn't.

My thoughts on Cherone are actually pretty similar to my thoughts on JLB (although there's obviously a big difference in raw talent): I love both of their main bands but they're not the reason I listen to those bands and I have 0 interest in what they do outside of them. The Van Halen thing is unique because I'm a big Van Halen fan too, but the Extreme connection didn't make me more excited to hear VHIII. Cherone also doesn't hold a candle to Sammy. I will say that there are some good tracks on there though.

Blaze is almost the opposite. I don't really consider him a particularly great singer (again that's not to say he's bad), but he did a good job in Maiden all things considered. I at least had the interest to check out his solo albums, which is more than I can say for Di'Anno. Personality probably plays a big part in that as well, I just can't take anything Di'Anno does seriously.

I stand by not wanting to see a mini-reunion, but I would love to see a side project with Steve and Blaze. The vocals on British Lion are very weak, it actually would've been cool if Blaze was tapped for that.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1115 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »
BTW there are two Bruce solo albums before the next Maiden and I'm not sure how to approach them. This isn't a Bruce discography thread but there's enough interest in them to at least cover them. Some options:

Skunkworks and Accident of Birth in one post. This makes the most sense, but they're so different that it might be too much to talk about in one entry.

Skunkworks followed by X Factour, then Accident of Birth, then Virtual XI. This would actually be chronological and is my preference, but I don't want people to feel like it's being dragged out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1116 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
My vote goes to chronological. Bruce solo is a bonus to an already awesome thread.

The vocals on British Lion are very weak, it actually would've been cool if Blaze was tapped for that.

:omg:

That's an interesting thought. The BL vocals do suck.

I am more than willing to concede Cherone's talent, just as I am Russ Allen's. But they are two vocalists that just don't connect with me.

But Extreme is a live band. I love watching them, more than I enjoy listening to them, if that make sense.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: August 23, 2017, 10:45:38 PM »
The vocals on British Lion are very weak, it actually would've been cool if Blaze was tapped for that.

Interesting. For me, British Lion's music itself is the main issue and the vocals are just a subset of that. In fact, if you look up 'dull' in the dictionary, it says 'British Lion'.

How on earth Steve Harris could preside over such crushing mediocrity, I've no idea.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1118 on: August 23, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
Yea I wasn't crazy about the album in general either, but the vocals in particular ruined it.

We'll also discuss British Lion later. In fact, for anyone curious, I'm planning on including the first Blaze album and a quick overview of his carer, all Bruce Dickinson albums, Primal Rock Rebellion, and British Lion.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1119 on: August 24, 2017, 03:48:49 AM »

Interesting. For me, British Lion's music itself is the main issue and the vocals are just a subset of that. In fact, if you look up 'dull' in the dictionary, it says 'British Lion'.

How on earth Steve Harris could preside over such crushing mediocrity, I've no idea.

I only heard a handful of songs, but nothing in them captivated me enough to check out the rest of the album...I also saw some live clips, but it just seemed too weird. Harris seems so out of place there! I thought it would be cool to see him play in a different context, but it seemed very strange. Dunno how you guys felt about it.

Mosh, it´s great that you´re planning to address all the side projects. But please promise you won´t talk about Lauren Harris´ band too!  ;D