Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 186102 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere On Tour (1986 - 87)
« Reply #560 on: July 01, 2017, 03:50:00 AM »
Raymond Briggs did a graphic novel called When the Wild Wind Blows, which is also the name of a track on The Final Frontier, right?

I remember that for some reason the tourbook for the Somewhere on Tour was translated and released in Brazil, and was sold at newstands. It showed statements from all band members about what they did after the World Slavery Tour, which left everyone absolutely drained. Bruce said he had gone through a divorce, and the only album he'd hear in that period was Marillion's Misplaced Childhood.

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere In Time (1986)
« Reply #561 on: July 01, 2017, 04:33:42 AM »
I'm a runner, and what I choose Somewhere in Time as my soundtrack for a race, this bit always hits the right spot: "must be so determined and push myself on" (and Adrian's solo comes in)
Beautiful moment.

Whenever I see footage from this tour, I think it looks fantastic even though it's hilariously over the top. Too bad there isn't official footage, Steve mentioned the band really regrets not having released anything from it. Luckily, it was great seeing this Eddie back in 2009.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #562 on: July 01, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »
I think there's footage of the guitar solos on YouTube as well. In terms of setlist, that tour was quite bizarre... Phantom, Where Eagles Dare, Mariner, Children of the Damned...and of course the tracks from the new album.

I have a question - did they play Caught Somewhere in Time during the whole tour? I think I read somewhere that Steve thought it didn't translate well on a live setting.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2017, 06:09:32 AM »
This concert was my very first concert and was a great, though loud show! I think at the time it was billed as the loudest show on the road that year.  My ears rang for a day or two afterwards!

The set list was:
Blade Runner Intro
Caught Somewhere in Time
2 Minutes to Midnight
Children of the Damned
Stranger in a Strange Land
Wasted Years
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Guitar Solo
Heaven Can Wait
Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden

Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Running Free

Yes, they didn’t play Alexander but they did play Rime so I was satisfied. I loved the rest of the set list, especially Children and Phantom. It would have been awesome to see Where Eagles Dare but even at this point still somewhat early in their careers they had to make concessions.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »
Wait, they didn't play anything from Piece of mind? Not even The Trooper?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: July 01, 2017, 09:14:47 AM »
Such a shame this ended up becoming the forgotten tour. Besides the sick setlist heavy on Sit material, they had a cool stage show to go along with it. I feel like I am always going to relate this tour to DTs TA tour.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #566 on: July 01, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
Outside of the US they played Where Eagles Dare and some of the early dates included Flight of Icarus.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #567 on: July 01, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »

I had to rely on set list .com for this info. I do remember some die hard fans leaving the show disapointed with the song selection but this being my first concert ever, and my favorite band playing, I didn't care.

Besides, I got to see Rime.... live, my favorite song from them up to this time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #568 on: July 01, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
Awesome tour. At work now so I'll post more later including pictures!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #569 on: July 01, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
BTW, in addition to all the SIT songs that were never played again after this, Somewhere On Tour also featured the last performances of Flight of Icarus.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #570 on: July 01, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
BTW, in addition to all the SIT songs that were never played again after this, Somewhere On Tour also featured the last performances of Flight of Icarus.

I was under the impression that they brought it back on certain dates of the Ed Hunter Tour, but I could be wrong.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #571 on: July 01, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »

I was under the impression that they brought it back on certain dates of the Ed Hunter Tour, but I could be wrong.
Not that I know of.
Bruce did perform Icarus with Adrian on some of his solo shows before they returned to Maiden though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #572 on: July 01, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
Mosh is right, Flight of Icarus was played by Bruce solo but never by the reunited Maiden.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #573 on: July 01, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
My Maiden fandom was at a fever pitch when I saw this tour. Likewise, this might be my all time favorite Maiden show.

My memories of the show start with the opening band, Waysted. I've been a UFO fan almost as long as I had been a Maiden fan., so seeing Pete Way and Paul Chapman live was awesome. We were right down front in front of Tonka. He was totally cool.

Anyway for Maiden..

1. The intro felt excruciatingly long. But when Maiden hit the stage I thought I was going to stroke.
2. Love Caught Somewhere In Time. A great opener, and Bruce's electric jacket.
3. This was before setlist spoilers. I thought it quite odd that they would play Rime again. I really didn't consider it in lieu of Alexander, but I wasn't really in love with it, and having already seen it live, I thought they wasted a huge part of the show on it.
4. Hearing the beginning notes of Phantom Of the Opera might be the most stunning moment of my concert life. I was so not expecting it.
5. We were right down in front of Adrian, but seeing Steve up so close was amazing. He is THE MAN!
6. Managed to get some good pics. I remember just staring at them for hours on end.
7. Thought the Eddie coming up from underneath the stage was really cool.

Also, the very first bootleg video I ever got was from this tour. It is the Troy NY show. It is still my all time favorite bootleg. It is a really great representation of what it was like. Plus, it has a great view of Nicko, which is actually quite rare it seems.
Here is the youtube link of the Troy show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu64ESskzR4

Also, my ticket stub:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:38:25 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #574 on: July 01, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
March 30, 1987
Providence Civic Center

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:42:43 AM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: July 01, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:46:36 AM by TAC »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #576 on: July 01, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »
My Maiden fandom was at a fever pitch when I saw this tour. Likewise, this might be my all time favorite Maiden show.

My memories of the show start with the opening band, Waysted. I've been a UFO fan almost as long as I had been a Maiden fan., so seeing Pete Way and Paul Chapman live was awesome. We were right down front in front of Tonka. He was totally cool.

Anyway for Maiden..

1. The intro felt excruciatingly long. But when Maiden hit the stage I thought I was going to stroke.
2. Love Caught Somewhere In Time. A great opener, and Bruce's electric jacket.
3. This was before setlist spoilers. I thought it quite odd that they would play Rime again. I really didn't consider it in lieu of Alexander, but I wasn't really in love with it, and having already seen it live, I thought they wasted a huge part of the show on it.
4. Hearing the beginning notes of Phantom Of the Opera might be the most stunning moment of my concert life. I was so not expecting it.
5. We were right down in front of Adrian, but seeing Steve up so close was amazing. He is THE MAN!
6. Managed to get some good pics. I remember just staring at them for hours on end.
7. Thought the Eddie coming up from underneath the stage was really cool.

Also, the very first bootleg video I ever got was from this tour. It is the Troy NY show. It is still my all time favorite bootleg. It is a really great representation of what it was like. Plus, it has a great view of Nicko, which is actually quite rare it seems.
Here is the youtube link of the Troy show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu64ESskzR4

Also, my ticket stub:

$14 fucking bucks. God damn, I was born in the wrong decade

Multiply that by 10 and that's what I paid for my IM show. Totally worth it though  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #577 on: July 01, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »
Awesome pics, man!!! Thanks for sharing!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: July 01, 2017, 08:49:58 PM »
Awesome pics, man!!! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. I have shots from the next few tours. The Seventh Son shots are basically from the same spot, albeit a different arena.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #579 on: July 01, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »
Keep them coming!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #580 on: July 02, 2017, 02:54:57 AM »
Great pics!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #581 on: July 02, 2017, 03:18:47 AM »
That's fantastic, TAC!  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: July 02, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
Love that you still have the ticket stub and awesome pictures and experience.   :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: July 02, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
So I wanted to squeeze this in before Mosh moved onto 7th Son.

Ross Halfin released a book of his photography of Iron Maiden called What Are We Doing This For? about the same time as 7th Son was released. It is a photographic journal of the band up to and including the Somewhere In Time tour. It is filled with amazing shots of the band throughout the years. It includes, backstage pics, family and wives/children pics, as well as on stage and at various scenic shots around the world. Love the 80's fashion they were wearing at the time too!

(Bruce with his half shaved face!)

The above are not my scans, rather from Google Images.
Here is the Amazon Link:
https://www.amazon.com/What-are-We-Doing-This/dp/0946391653/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498519549&sr=1-1&keywords=What+are+we+doing+this+for

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: July 02, 2017, 09:11:48 PM »
The guitar solo/Walking on Air is one of the coolest things Maiden did live IMO.  Just wonderful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #585 on: July 02, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
The lack of an official recording of that guitar solo is the worst part about them not filming this tour. That was such a cool duet. The only time a Maiden solo spot was worthwhile IMO.

Cool pics TAC! Was the stage lighting for this tour particularly dark? Every photo and video I see from this tour looks a lot darker than the Powerslave tour, so I've always wondered if that was actually the case. The stage also looks smaller than the previous tour. All the props and Eddies make up for that though.

Rime being played on this tour was strange and probably not a good move in retrospect. I find it kills the momentum of the setlist. Where it works perfectly as the centerpiece on World Slavery, it just seems kinda shoehorned in there. I'm also surprised the band weren't sick of it by then. Also, people complain about how similar the setlists are today, but in the 80s they essentially played the same exact encore 3 tours in a row.

Other than that, they did a pretty good job at making the setlist unique compared to World Slavery. 5 songs from the new album and they're spread out nicely. I actually think dropping Where Eagles Dare worked out. Bruce struggles with it, especially that late in the set, and everything flows better with Heaven Can Wait directly following the guitar dual. Phantom and Children were played on the previous tour but only at select gigs, so they were probably new to most audiences, especially in the US.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #586 on: July 03, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »
The guitar solo/Walking on Air is one of the coolest things Maiden did live IMO.  Just wonderful.

Very cool. And awesome.

Was the stage lighting for this tour particularly dark? Every photo and video I see from this tour looks a lot darker than the Powerslave tour, so I've always wondered if that was actually the case. The stage also looks smaller than the previous tour. All the props and Eddies make up for that though.

I think you're right about the lighting. The Powerslave show was definitely brighter. I think the gold color scheme helped. Plus, I think the stage felt more massive as they made great use of the backdrops. The stage itself was darker for SiT. I honestly don't recall thinking it was dark during the show. I was 1-3 people deep for the entire show. Video bootlegs really started to become a thing on this tour, so it's also possible the equipment just wasn't capable of capturing the light.

I saw both tours in the same arena and the width of the stage was the same.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #587 on: July 05, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

“Seven deadly sins
Seven ways to win
Seven holy paths to hell
And your trip begins...”

The final Iron Maiden album of the 80’s and the last of their “Golden Age” opens in an unorthodox fashion with Bruce Dickinson and an acoustic guitar. The acoustic guitar had been used sparingly up until this point and never as a lead instrument. This is followed by a lead played on guitar synthesizer, something that was prevalent on the previous album but again never as a lead instrument. Right off the bat it’s clear to the listener that we’re in for something special. It’s an appropriate start, because Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a concept album. The previous album, Somewhere In Time, wasn’t a concept album but many of the songs dealt with similar lyrical themes to give it a unified feel. So a full on concept album was a natural progression.

The story was initially inspired by the death of supposed psychic Doris Stokes, which prompted Steve Harris to wonder if she could foresee her own death. Later on he read Orson Scott Card’s Seventh Son. Given that the next album would be their seventh, Steve felt it would make a good title and theme. This all influenced the first song written for the album: The Clairvoyant. Steve then called Bruce to tell him about the concept and he was on board immediately. Bruce’s fascination with the occult helped bring a new dimension to the album. This can especially be seen in Moonchild, where Bruce takes inspiration once again from Aleister Crowley.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a story based on the myth that the seventh son of a seventh son would possess clairvoyant powers. The album follows a loose storyline related to such a character, but in typical Maiden fashion there isn’t really any adherence to the general “rules” of a concept album. Several of the songs seem to deviate from the story, although they could at least be loosely linked. In the end, the story boils down to themes that are already typical to Maiden such as the afterlife, good and evil, the occult. The story also jumps around without any linear narrative. The second side of the album is the most dedicated to the story, with all four songs being obviously linked. The first side is a little more loose with story elements, although Moonchild and Infinite Dreams in particular definitely fit in.

Oddly enough, it is also one of their shortest albums. Again bucking what you would typically expect from an album that is meant to tell a story. Where the previous two albums really pushed the limits of vinyl by pushing close to an hour in length, Seventh Son is a more standard 45 minutes. This is very unorthodox considering that it’s a concept album. I’ve heard rumours that there was an intention to make a double album and Rod Smallwood urged them not to, but I’ve never seen confirmation of that. It would explain why the story seems somewhat half baked though.

Musically the album is a definite progression from Somewhere In Time. The synthesizer use continues, however this time there was less trepidation with the synth use and the band moved on to using keyboard synths in addition to guitar synths. They also use different types of synths, such as choir pads. The production is a similar reverb laden affair, but not quite as overproduced. There’s a lot more space in the music and it has more of an “airy” sound than SIT. The prog leanings go even further with Seventh Son, particularly in the Harris tunes. But it does feature a continuation of Adrian’s more commercial side, especially in Can I Play With Madness.

Seventh Son Of a Seventh Son is notable for being a much more collaborative effort than Somewhere In Time, and one of their more collaborative albums overall. Where Bruce didn’t contribute anything to the previous album, on Seventh Son he receives writing credits on four of the eight tracks. No solo compositions, but a lot of collaborations with Adrian Smith and Steve Harris. All of Adrian Smith’s contributions are also in collaboration, unlike Somewhere In Time. The classic Smith/Dickinson combo returns on the album opener: Moonchild. This is also the first time the opening track isn’t a Harris composition. Moonchild is one of Maiden’s greatest openers and features one of their most exciting introductions. Impossible to listen to this song without getting pumped.

With Can I Play With Madness and The Evil That Men Do, the two collaborated with Steve Harris. Maiden are generally somewhat secretive about who comes up with what, but there is an informative interview where Bruce Dickinson explains the process of writing Can I Play With Madness. Bruce wrote the opening riff, Adrian brought in a ballad he wrote called On the Wings of Eagles to fill out the rest of the song, and Steve Harris and Bruce worked on the instrumental section together. Of course Bruce wrote the lyrics. This gives an interesting insight into how the three collaborate. Can I Play With Madness represented one of the band’s more commercial sounding songs, but it still has plenty of merit as a Maiden track. The Evil That Men Do is more on the traditional side of things and is an equally (if not better) entry.

The final Bruce contribution, Only the Good Die Young, is unusual because it is a collaboration with Steve Harris. Prior to this album, the two had never collaborated without Adrian Smith. Given their friendly rivalry, it is a surprise to see them working together. Previously, Adrian and Bruce generally had the bulk of the song finished before Steve came in and added additional touches. Bruce and Steve would actually write more songs together on the next album. But more on that later.

This album also features the elusive Murray composition: The Prophecy. As usual, he is helped by Steve Harris. The acoustic guitars make a return for the renaissance inspired outro. I like to imagine that a young Mikael Akerfeldt was listening to this album in 1988 and took extra note of that particular section. Another typical Murray tune that has been overshadowed by the rest of the songs, but is a good song nonetheless.

The remaining three songs are monster Harris compositions. Infinite Dreams begins innocently enough as a ballad before picking up steam and exploding into heaviness with proggy time changes. The album’s epic title track, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, became the band’s second longest song at the time. It follows a similar structure to To Tame a Land, but with longer sections. It features a very extended instrumental section with an intense guitar duel. Finally, we end where we began with the first song written for the album: The Clairvoyant. This is a fairly upbeat track with a very catchy chorus. After two proggy songs, this shows Steve Harris’ more direct roots.

Now is a good time to talk about the influence of Progressive Rock on the Maiden guys. Maiden are such an odd band because they have more prog tendencies than most “traditional” Metal bands, but it’s really hard to classify them as progressive metal, especially when you compare them to Queensryche or Dream Theater. They are somewhere in between. But the fact is that prog had an immense influence on both Steve and Bruce. Steve was particularly into Genesis and Jethro Tull, bands that told stories with their music. The storytelling aspect definitely shows in many Harris compositions and is on full display with this album. Bruce was interested in theatrics with artists such as Arthur Brown and Peter Hammill of Van Der Graaf Generator. Bruce was also a fan of Peter Gabriel, but interestingly preferred his work away from Genesis. That influence doesn’t really show up in Maiden, but it will in his solo work so stay tuned for that. The prog influence is at its peak on Seventh Son with the different time changes, the atmosphere, and the story. It has a fairy tale feel to it that isn’t unlike a lot of early Genesis. It’s dark, but also very whimsical and English. Maiden also take a page from Pink Floyd by giving homage to Animals, Steve’s favorite Floyd album, by bookending the album with the same acoustic passage. The Pink Floyd concept of ending at the beginning would go on to influence another favorite band of ours.

After two of the most extravagant album covers in Metal history, Seventh Son Of a Seventh Son sports a more basic design, closer to Piece of Mind and Number Of the Beast. The fact is that Derek Riggs was starting to get burnt out with Maiden covers. He had been working with Maiden for 8 years straight and was beginning to have difficulties with their management. He also wasn’t getting much work outside of Maiden. I’m not sure who originally came up with the idea of having a half destructed Eddie, whether it was Riggs or the band, but Riggs was delighted with it because it meant less work for him. The background was also more minimal, showing a desolate icy exterior. The back of the sleeve also made reference to past Eddies. It wasn’t as complex as Somewhere In Time, but it was still another excellent cover. Riggs’ decline in enthusiasm for painting Eddie is much more apparent in the artwork for the singles. Can I Play With Madness, The Evil That Men Do, and The Clairvoyant all feature some of the most simplistic Riggs designs in years. There are no scenes or elaborate backgrounds, just sketches of Eddie’s heads. They are also unfinished. Riggs has expressed distaste toward these pieces and points to them as examples of his own laziness with painting Eddie.

Surprisingly, given the more experimental nature of the album, Seventh Son was a point of big commercial success for the band. It became the band’s second #1 album in the UK charts, and spawned some hit singles. Usually there were only two singles from an album, but with Seventh Son half of the songs were made into singles. The first, Can I Play With Madness, was the band’s highest charting single ever peaking at #3. The next single, The Evil That Men Do, was another impressive effort at #5. Likely because of the success, they went ahead with a third single. This time, it was a live version of The Clairvoyant recorded at Monsters of Rock 1988 (we will discuss the tour more next week). It was yet another top ten entry at #6. The fourth single, released in 1989, was technically more to promote the Maiden England video, as it was taken from the video. Infinite Dreams peaked again at #6.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son represents the end of an era for Maiden. It would be the last album with Adrian Smith (until his return in 1999) and the last of the 80s. It shows the band taking their 80s sound as far as it can go. After 8 years of evolving, the band had reached what seemed to be a creative peak. To this day it remains one of their best and most ambitious albums. It was a triumphant end of the decade for the band, both commercially and artistically. Where other Metal bands ended the 80s in more uncertain terms, Maiden ended on an absolute high note. One that would continue into the tour, which we will cover in the next entry.

“Seven downward slopes
Seven bloodied hopes
Seven are your burning fires
Seven your desires”

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
« Reply #588 on: July 05, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
Almost definitely my favorite Iron Maiden album. Such an amazing work from the band from start-to-finish, imo. I'll need to write up more on it tomorrow, but there's so much I love about this album. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2017, 02:30:33 AM »
Once again congratulations to Mosh for such an excellent recap! As I said I'm quite deep into Maiden lore so there's nothing really new for me, but to have it presented in such a way it's a great stroll down the memory lane.

The immense love I have for Maiden makes it hard for me to pick a favorite album. I always say that my favorite ones are Piece of Mind and Seventh Son, and I'd find difficult to pick just one. Maybe the heart would chose Piece of Mind, since it has Revelations which is the song that made me a Bruce Dickinson, Iron Maiden and heavy metal fan, but the mind would chose Seventh Son... because this album is damn bloody fantastic.

I love everything about it: the theme, the cover (yeah, SIT is better but I find this one awesome as well), every single song and every single minute on it. Everyone is on top of their form, Bruce has a wonderful performance, and the band is tight as ever and as Mosh pointed out, they ended the '80 at the very top of their carreer.

Moonchild's intro and build up is their best ever. It all starts so nicely, acoustic guitars and a gentle melody... then the guitars come in, of course you'd expect them, and the melody is kinda upbeat, positive... then it all becomes more menacing, Steve Harris' bass comes "clanking" in and BOOOM, you're into fire and brimbstone as Maiden leave no prisoners with one of their heaviest, wickedest and "satanic" songs, with a killer Bruce in full evil mystical mode  :metal

Infinite Dreams is one of their best melodic pieces ever, both the slow and faster sections are equally great. Bruce's evil scream when the  fast part kicks in is irresistible! and I particularly love the musical passage that leads into the final part, the one that comes right before "There's got to be just more to it than this".

Can I Play with Madness all things considered isn't that awesome, yes, but it's still a good "easy" Maiden track and I always enjoyed the hell out of it during concerts.

The Evil that Men Do is even better, it's a somehow "commercial" trck, in the sense that you could have it digested by non Maiden fans, but it's 100% in their style, a total riot live, and graced with a memorable chorus. Personal geeky note, whenever I was hearing the song live, at the "I will call her name out loud" passage I had an habit of actually screaming the name of whoever girl I was into at the time.

The title track is the mammoth of the title tracks! Iron Maiden set this standard for me, when it comes to title track, I expect them to be the majestic centerpiece of the album, the geekiest part of me is to this day annoyed when a title track is just a random average song. This is how you do title tracks, bitches!

The predominant keys, the ohohohohoho's, the plodding verses and the chorus... everything screams royalty about this song! and then, of course, it's capped by their best instrumental passage EVER. Yeah, I know, it's a tight race - Phantom, Halloweed... my preference goes to this. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son's instrumental solo section is my favorite *EVER* by *ANY* band. Hearing it live was such an eargasm, only Octavarium's ending is even more overwhelming live.

The Prophecy, one of the two unplayed songs of the record, it's such a nice and unusual song for them. Love it and I don't consider it inferior at all to the others.

The Clairvoyant is another stellar track of course, it's impossible not to jump during the chorus when played live. Another song like The Evil that Men Do - "easy" enough to be used as a single, and yet 100% uncompromising Maiden.

And Only the Good Die Young is a worthy album closer, wicked and fast and once again with a memorable chorus. Rounding the album out the same way it started was such a great choice.

Really, I can't find anything wrong with this album even if I went looking for it. A total masterpiece of the entire history of heavy metal, and one of Maiden's very, very best.

A note on the B-Sides: Black Bart Blues is quite absurdingly funny, and the cover of Massacre is absolutely beautiful. Prowler and Charlotte's remakes are good but nothing earth shattering - ironically it could have been seen as a preview of what was to come, a return to an "early" and "raw" sound for the next album, but let's wait for that and now let's bask in the icy glory of Maiden's monumental send-off to the '80s.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:14 AM »
Favorite Maiden album by far! Also easily the best of the classic era imo.

One of my most listened album during by teenage years. :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »
Just a perfect, slick and majestic album.  Perfect from start to finish.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2017, 05:21:06 AM »
Probably my favourite Maiden album ever. There's just something magical about it, can't really describe it. As usual there's one track from every album from this era that I am not that particularly crazy over (Die With Your Boots On, Losfer Words, Long Distance Runner). This time it's The Prophecy. It's a fine track, but I'd rank it last - the others are just too damn good. Favourite track? Too many to mention.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #593 on: July 06, 2017, 05:29:52 AM »
While I'd rank The Prophecy last too only because the other songs are just too damn good, I consider Seventh Son an album without absolutely any lesser tracks AT ALL. I said earlier I call also Piece of Mind my favorite album, but putting my love for Maiden aside, I recognize Quest for Fire isn't absolutely on standard with the rest of the album. The Prophecy for me is, even though with such a tough competition, it's inevitabile that a song has to "lose" and it was correct to not play it live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: July 06, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
I'd take The Prophecy over CIPWM, perhaps even TC.