Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 186163 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: World Slavery Tour (1984 - 85)
« Reply #455 on: June 21, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »
I asked about the Bruce albums because my opinion on Bruce changed over time. And it was one of his solo albums that convinced me of his true value to the band.

You're not going to tell are you?

I will when Mosh gets to it.

Hint: "Seaman Stains".....nah just kidding. ;D

CW my number 1 album of all time, just came along at the right time and still knocks my socks off.  Skunkworks I rate really highly too, amazing album that one.

Have you done a Top 50 Thread? That'd be a Must Follow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #456 on: June 21, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
I had Chemical Wedding as my favorite Metal album of all time for awhile, over all the Maiden albums. It definitely gives the best of Maiden some tough competition. Still somewhere in the top three, with Piece of Mind and Painkiller.

Bruce's solo albums give you an interesting look at the man as an artist, after only getting short glimpses of it with Maiden. He also returned to Maiden as a better singer and songwriter thanks to his solo work.

More on topic: I watched the LAD DVD today. Probably the most fun Maiden video. They're really portrayed as a larger than life act. We'll get to this more later, but it's really fascinating comparing LAD to Maiden England, which gives a completely different perspective on the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: June 21, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
I had Chemical Wedding as my favorite Metal album of all time for awhile, over all the Maiden albums. It definitely gives the best of Maiden some tough competition. Still somewhere in the top three, with Piece of Mind and Painkiller.

Painkiller is so good. Saw that tour a couple of times. First was in Dec of 1990. They had Megadeth (Rust In Peace) and Testament (Souls Of Black) opening. Amazing show all the way around.
Then the following summer, they headlined the Operation Rock n Roll tour with Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Metal Church, and Dangerous Toys. Alice Cooper f'n blew them off the stage. Alice's band on that tour was Vinnie Moore, Stef Burns, Greg Smith, Eric Singer, and Derek Sherinian.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: June 21, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »
More on topic: I watched the LAD DVD today. Probably the most fun Maiden video. They're really portrayed as a larger than life act. We'll get to this more later, but it's really fascinating comparing LAD to Maiden England, which gives a completely different perspective on the band.

Hmm...that's interesting. Would love to hear you expound on those thoughts. LAD was a band, killing it on the way up whereas on Maiden England, they were kings of the heap. They were tired. Points only proven by Adrian leaving, Bruce practically leaving, and the band not getting back together for almost 2 years.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #459 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:46 PM »

Hmm...that's interesting. Would love to hear you expound on those thoughts. LAD was a band, killing it on the way up whereas on Maiden England, they were kings of the heap. They were tired. Points only proven by Adrian leaving, Bruce practically leaving, and the band not getting back together for almost 2 years.
I'm thinking less the performance itself and more the way it was filmed, as well as the setlist. There are a lot more close shots between the band and the crowd. The stage doesn't look enormous the way it does in LA. Plus it was filmed on their home turf. It seems like a more intimate performance meant to show how Maiden has stayed in touch with their fans.

The setlist wasn't the greatest hits package that LAD was. A lot more deep cuts and the newest album gets more attention. The original version didn't contain the encore, so no Run To the Hills, Sanctuary, or Running Free. Still Life instead of The Trooper, Killers instead of Flight Of Icarus, The Clairvoyant instead of Two Minutes To Midnight, etc.

Painkiller is so good. Saw that tour a couple of times. First was in Dec of 1990. They had Megadeth (Rust In Peace) and Testament (Souls Of Black) opening. Amazing show all the way around.
That's an incredible lineup. Obviously with Painkiller Priest were trying to keep up with the new blood like Megadeth and Testament. How did they compare to these groups then?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #460 on: June 21, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
  I'm thinking less the performance itself and more the way it was filmed, as well as the setlist. There are a lot more close shots between the band and the crowd. The stage doesn't look enormous the way it does in LA. Plus it was filmed on their home turf. It seems like a more intimate performance meant to show how Maiden has stayed in touch with their fans.

The setlist wasn't the greatest hits package that LAD was. A lot more deep cuts and the newest album gets more attention. The original version didn't contain the encore, so no Run To the Hills, Sanctuary, or Running Free. Still Life instead of The Trooper, Killers instead of Flight Of Icarus, The Clairvoyant instead of Two Minutes To Midnight, etc.

I bought the VHS of Maiden England, and it was obviously not the full show.
Personally, I was never a fan of how LAD was filmed. There's a couple great angles but that's about it.

To me, the best "filmed" live show was Death On The Road. It's the most glorious footage I've ever seen of the band. Too bad the editing renders it almost unwatchable.

That's an incredible lineup. Obviously with Painkiller Priest were trying to keep up with the new blood like Megadeth and Testament. How did they compare to these groups then?
Getting Scott Travis made all of the difference in the world. It allowed them to really keep pace with the younger bands. Too bad Halford would leave in the mid 90's.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #461 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »

I bought the VHS of Maiden England, and it was obviously not the full show.
Personally, I was never a fan of how LAD was filmed. There's a couple great angles but that's about it.

To me, the best "filmed" live show was Death On The Road. It's the most glorious footage I've ever seen of the band. Too bad the editing renders it almost unwatchable.
That's an interesting choice. Never really noticed the way the footage was shot because yea the editing is terrible. It is by far their most theatrical live show so it makes sense that they put more effort into filming it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #462 on: June 21, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
I just feel like the angles, the film lighting, the performance, it all gells. When you get to it ITT, hopefully you'll see what I'm talking about.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #463 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
Yea, I'll pay attention to it. I've only watched the video maybe once or twice, probably my least watched Maiden vid (it's either that or Raising Hell).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #464 on: June 22, 2017, 05:45:42 AM »
Hah, I don't even count Raising Hell. :lol

So when I watch DOTR, I really can only take a couple songs at a time. Either that or I'll put it on as background on my day off as I do stuff around the house.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: June 22, 2017, 05:47:14 AM »
I think Raising Hell is awesome.  Such a raw, energetic performance.  It's one of my fav performances from Dave.  It's Bruce's last show with the band, but he plays like it's the last time Maiden will ever play live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: June 22, 2017, 05:58:02 AM »
It's been 20+ years since I've watched it. I'll have to get it out for that part of this thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #467 on: June 22, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
Getting Scott Travis made all of the difference in the world. It allowed them to really keep pace with the younger bands. Too bad Halford would leave in the mid 90's.

Yeah, that's when they lost me.    I actually really liked Dave Holland's drumming (he kind of always played that same fill, but it worked), though Les Binks was no slouch either.   "Trying to keep up with the younger guys" was not why I listened to Priest.   It's kind of why I love Maiden so much.  They never bothered to try to keep up with the younger guys.  If anything the younger guys are still trying to catch Maiden!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #468 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »
Also Maiden managed to be more their own thing and isolated from the scene of the time than Priest. For me it's so blatantly easier to realize that the Priest albums of the '80s were made, well, in the '80s, than the ones Maiden did.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #469 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »

Yeah, that's when they lost me.    I actually really liked Dave Holland's drumming (he kind of always played that same fill, but it worked), though Les Binks was no slouch either.   "Trying to keep up with the younger guys" was not why I listened to Priest.   It's kind of why I love Maiden so much.  They never bothered to try to keep up with the younger guys.  If anything the younger guys are still trying to catch Maiden!
Maiden definitely have that on Priest, though Priest had several moments where "modernizing" their sound worked in their favor. SFV and Painkiller are both great records that were totally reactionary to what was going on around them. Turbo and Point of Entry, not as successful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: June 23, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »
Friggin' LOVE Point of Entry.  I'm not arguing it's a great PRIEST record or anything - it's clearly an odd step between British Steel and SFV (which is the superior record) but for wathever reason, other than "Hot Rockin'" (which is just dumb) I love that record. 

"Turning Circles", "Desert Plains", "Solar Angels", "Headin'..." (except let's not talk about that video).

Offline Art

« Reply #471 on: June 23, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
I agree about PoE. Not a bad record, just not as good as the one that came before and the one that followed it.

Desert Plains is awesome.  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
Maybe someone should start a Judas Priest discography so we can have a bit of a chat about Iron Maiden. Stadler?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mosh

« Reply #473 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Busy week at work this week so I haven't had time to work on the next entry, expect it today or tomorrow.

And a Priest discog would be awesome!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #474 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
No problem, we'll consider this as celebration of the six months break the band had before coming back together to work on Somewhere in Time  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
Maybe someone should start a Judas Priest discography so we can have a bit of a chat about Iron Maiden. Stadler?

I actually talked with el Barto about that a couple months ago.  I'll do it; I'm not as up on the boots and stuff as here, but well-versed in the albums and tours.   I'm on vaca next week, but I can start it when I get back.   

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #476 on: June 23, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
Awesome. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
That would be awesome, Stadler!

I'm listening to Sad Wings right now. Love me some old, classic JP
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: June 23, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »

I actually talked with el Barto about that a couple months ago.  I'll do it; I'm not as up on the boots and stuff as here, but well-versed in the albums and tours.   I'm on vaca next week, but I can start it when I get back.
:metal :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #479 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
Since it doesn't belong strictly to any album, throwing the idea around here... anyone else in my same situation, of having Iron Maiden as the favorite band or one of the favorites anyway, but not listening to them anymore?

I'll explain better - Iron Maiden were one of the first bands I discovered, and the first metal band at all for me - after starting, as a young teen, to dig into heavy and foreign music with Bon Jovi and Guns n' Roses, Maiden were the jump from rock to metal in 1995, and I've always hailed them as my favorite band ever since.

At the time without a widespread internet, all I had were the cassette tapes a schoolmate was making for me - there must have been a time where the ONLY cassettes I had were 2 compilations of Bon Jovi, one of Guns n' Roses, two of Iron Maiden (and Metallica came shortly after) and literally nothing else. So I listened to those songs over and over and over, in repeat, all the time, and they were carved in my mind and my soul, I know them inside out, in my sleep, and I'll probably know them after I'm dead and I'm summoned through an oujia board.

So, 22 years later, with my musical taste greatly developed, and so many bands to listen and so many new albums from the band I still follow coming out, and with work and other time consuming hobbies such as travelling and watching TV series, and with generally being an adult taking up time, when do I listen still, after all this time, to songs I heard a gazillion times? well, simply, I don't.

All those bands I discovered more than 20 years ago, I simply don't listen to them anymore, I will always call Iron Maiden my favorite band, but if you want to know how many times I've heard in the last years The Number of the Beast or The Trooper, just ask me how many times I've seen them live recently, the answer will basically be the same.

And I don't say this on a dismissive way, "I'm bored of those songs" - on the contrary. Sure, I don't feel the need to listen to Run to the Hills for the gazillionth time, nor today nor any other day, but when I go to a Maiden concert, even the history tours with so much old stuff, I don't need to rehearse. For example, in 2013, for the Maiden England tour, at the festival Megadeth was on the bill, and since I know the band but I'm not a regular listener, I was hearing some songs on the days before the festival just to remind myself better.

With Iron Maiden, I didn't need to do it. I went there, literal years after I've heard their classic albums for the last time, and whatever was in the set, I sang them all by heart from start to finish  :metal

These songs are so deep inside me that I don't need to "do my homework" with them... whenever they will come up, I will always remember them instantly. So that's my wonderful paradox: I don't listen anymore to my favorite band (well, of course I listen to the new albums until they eventually fall out of my daily, then weekly, then regular rotation, just like anything else), but no one else will be able to dethrone them as my favorite band  :coolio

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #480 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
That would be awesome, Stadler!

I'm listening to Sad Wings right now. Love me some old, classic JP

Nice! I'm actually listening to Unleashed in the East myself! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #481 on: June 23, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »
I didn't listen to as much Maiden after TFF came out because I started discovering other bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, etc. Also since the wait for the next album was so long and they spent a lot of time on that Maiden England tour, it didn't feel like there was much going on in Maiden world to get excited about. In the time it took between TFF and TBOS, I started and graduated from high school. I had a lot of other music to discover and listen to in that time. TBOS has definitely resparked my interest and I'm as into them now as I was when they were new to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: June 23, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
IM are my favorite band but I hardly listen to them on any sort of regular basis.  There's just too much other music to continueally listen to just one band that I've listened to so many times already.  They've also been my favorite band for longer than any other band (growing up I would love a band and then discover another band I liked more and so on.... until Maiden).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #483 on: June 23, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
I basically have three favorite bands. They are somewhat interchangeable, but they are Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, and UFO.
I've been a fan of Iron Maiden the longest, since I was 14. Actually became a UFO fan about a year later.

I'm not one of those guys that can play 4 or 5 random albums in a day. I generally go through phases. I'm good for about two to three Maiden phases per year that basically last about 3 weeks.

This thread has put me square in the middle of one. That and seeing them again next month.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #484 on: June 23, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »
This is where I find my recent iPod acquirement has been the MOST beneficial. 

If I do ever "burn out" on a band, or not listen to them any more just because I've moved on, it's usually more because I'm burned out on the sound more than the actual songs.   I think that's why we have a tendency to romanticize about older albums, and not think newer material is as good.   The "glory days" of any band are usually about our personal experience of the discovery of a new sound.   When that sound is no longer new, it doesn't quite have the same impact....even when we hear new product. 

I find that with my iPod on shuffle at work, I don't suffer the same fatigue of a single bands "sound" as if I were to try to sit through an entire new album in one sitting.   Because I'm so used to Maiden's trademark gallop, I'm not sure if I could sit through the entirety of The Final Frontier in a single sitting without eventually thinking, "I've heard this...."   But when I'm shuffling through Bjork, Parliament, Mudhoney, Between the Buried and Me, Jane's Addiction, Jamie Cullum, Devo, Michael Jackson, System of a Down, Barenaked Ladies, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa, and Primus.....and then The Alchemist comes on?   It seems much fresher in that context. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #485 on: June 23, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
Maybe someone should start a Judas Priest discography so we can have a bit of a chat about Iron Maiden.

:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: June 23, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »
But when I'm shuffling through Bjork, Parliament, Mudhoney, Between the Buried and Me, Jane's Addiction, Jamie Cullum, Devo, Michael Jackson, System of a Down, Barenaked Ladies, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa, and Primus.....

Umm, yeah, I'll just stick with Iron Maiden thankyouverymuch. ;D

Offline Mosh

« Reply #487 on: June 24, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »
Somewhere In Time (1986)

After taking the rest of 1985 off following the grueling World Slavery Tour, Maiden reconvened in early ‘86 for their next album. They returned once again to Compass Point Studios, but this time the process would be significantly different. The band were no longer on a tight recording deadline, so the album didn’t need to be rushed the way the previous albums were. They were able to take their time and experiment. As a result, Somewhere In Time became the band’s most experimental album to date. They experimented with new styles of songwriting, new production techniques, and, of course, synthesizers.

Up until this point, the band were very anti-synth. There was a clip of Bruce proclaiming that “you can’t play Metal with synthesizers” and the band often printed in the liner notes that they don’t use synthesizers (I believe Queen also did this). This was a common attitude in Metal at the time but by the mid 80s many groups were giving in to the new technology. Adrian Smith was experimenting with the new guitar synthesizers and introduced them to the rest of the band. They seemed right for the material and everyone warmed up to the idea. Somewhere In Time ended up being drenched in guitar synths, with every song except Wasted Years containing the synths. They were all guitar synths, the band had not yet started using keyboards. In addition to the synthesizers, they experimented with reverbs and chorus effects to give the album a lush spacey sound.

Thanks to the break, there was more material to choose from. Everybody brought in completed songs and, for the first time since the debut, Maiden had a surplus of material. This was both a positive and negative. The positive is that Somewhere In Time doesn’t contain any filler tracks. The negative is that a lot of songs had to be cut, mostly from Bruce. Bruce supposedly came in with 9 completed songs, but they were mostly acoustic and influenced heavily by Led Zeppelin and Jethro Tull. Exhausted and burnt out from the previous tour, he wanted to make a more stripped down album; however, everyone else favored a different direction and Steve preferred what Adrian was bringing in. So, for the first time since Number Of the Beast, and the last time in the band’s history (minus the two albums Bruce doesn’t appear on), Bruce has no writing credits on the album. This sort of thing often leads to bands splitting over “creative differences”, but Bruce being a professional was able to put his ego aside and allow more room for other ideas.

Adrian Smith was having a surge of creativity during this time with the Entire Population Of Hackney project. On Somewhere In Time, he submitted his only three solo contributions in the band’s history: Wasted Years, Stranger In a Strange Land, and Sea Of Madness. Wasted Years and Stranger were also the two singles from the album. Wasted Years in particular showed Adrian’s more commercial side and was a departure for the band. It was very melodic and contained an anthemic chorus. Stranger In a Strange Land was inspired by a story Adrian read about an explorer who was frozen in ice. This song is more mid tempo and features one of Adrian’s most popular guitar solos. Strangely, the most typically Maiden sounding track wasn’t a single and is among the forgotten SIT songs. Sea of Madness is an uptempo rocker with a crushing riff that wouldn’t be out of place on Powerslave. These songs combined with the guitar synths gave Adrian and increased presence on the album.

The album also contains a Dave Murray contribution, something that wasn’t present on the previous album. Deja Vu is your typical Murray tune with a bluesy opening and lots of melodic leads in between the heavy vocal parts. It was one of two songs from the album that was never played live and seems to be forgotten even among fans of the album.

The rest of the songs are Harris contributions. Steve also had a ton of material to submit to the album that didn’t make the cut. The four songs that did make it on the album show a much more progressive side of Steve than what we’ve heard before. The opener Caught Somewhere In Time is an epic and the total opposite of Aces High. It contains an extended instrumental section and an unpredictable structure. The Loneliness Of the Long Distance Runner is another tune that showcases Steve’s prog tendencies with some amazing guitar harmonies. In my opinion, Heaven Can Wait is an indication of what Steve’s songwriting style would be like in the 90s. Similar riffing style and repeated choruses.

Finally, there’s Alexander the Great. Probably the most enigmatic and divisive Harris epic. Following Rime was a tall order, Steve approached the challenge by dialing back the length and vocal parts and increasing the complexity in the instrumental. I see Alexander as an instrumental that was bookended with vocal parts to make it more accessible. The instrumental part is Maiden at maximum prog. There are time signature changes, sharp tempo shifts, dynamic buildups, and majestic solos. It’s the most complex piece of music the band has composed. The vocal parts, by comparison, seem less creative. The lyrics are rushed and frankly kind of goofy. Still, the instrumental makes the song worth hearing and the fact that it has never been played live has given it a cult status. Steve didn’t quite surpass Rime, but he turned in a solid effort.

The band also jumped around several different locations to make the album. The bass and drums were recorded at Compass Point, but Adrian Smith insisted on recording the rest of the album elsewhere. The band relocated to Holland and recorded the guitar and vocals there. Afterwards, Steve, Adrian, and Martin Birch went to Electric Lady Studios in New York to mix. Because of his increased role in the creative process, Adrian Smith also took a more active role in the post production.

There’s a Bruce Dickinson interview for a French fan club magazine that was conducted sometime before the band left the Bahamas. It’s interesting because it paints a very different picture of what the album would be. Bruce mentions that there are 9 songs instead of 8, including one of his songs. He says that there’s no “epic” tracks and all the songs are in the 3-4 minute range. He also says that Steve Harris brought in an instrumental track. Interestingly, he also says that there are no synths. There isn’t a lot out from the band regarding the making of this album and they’ve never been the type to release rejected songs. They also usually only write enough material to fill an album, so SIT is an oddity. I would love to hear some of the rejected songs or an alternate version of the album. We do know that Run Silent Run Deep was one of Bruce’s proposed songs (obviously was in a different form when he presented it) and Tears Of the Dragon was also supposedly in the mix. As far as the instrumental goes, my personal theory is that it was Alexander the Great and the vocal parts were a last minute addition. That still doesn’t explain when/how other songs were extended or changed.

The album was finally released in September of 1986. Powerslave was actually also released in September. So despite the studio hopping and the band taking their time, they ended up being on schedule anyway. However, unlike Powerslave, the band took their time to release the first single. Wasted Years was released just a few weeks before the album. It hinted at a departure for Maiden and helped warn the fans that they were in for something different with the next album. It was a success charting at #22 in the UK charts and is by far the most popular and well known song from the album. We will talk b-sides later, but I will mention that the b-side to Wasted Years is notable for featuring Adrian Smith on vocals. It’s a tune from The Entire Population of Hackney called Reach Out. Very poppy and commercial sounding tune.

The album was yet another commercial success for the band, charting at #3 in the UK and #11 in the US. The US position was their highest ever and a major improvement from Powerslave, which peaked at #22.

Of course the album can’t be discussed without mentioning Riggs’ incredible painting. This is his most extravagant and complex album cover. Appropriate for the music contained inside. There are tons of references to the band’s past and hidden messages. So many that describing them all would be an entry of its own. Eddie is depicted in a futuristic world as a cyborg. Despite evolving so much since the debut, it’s still the same iconic character. The artwork is also heavily influenced by the film Blade Runner.

Somewhere in Time shows Maiden at their proggiest. While their current music is frequently described as prog, it has yet to reach the level of complexity or experimentation found on Somewhere in Time. The album has achieved a cult status among hardcore fans. Partly for its uniqueness and partly because it is practically ignored in the live sets. Since 1988, only 3 songs from the album have been played live. Yet to some it is Maiden’s best album. For others, Maiden’s golden age ends with Powerslave and Somewhere in Time is the beginning of Maiden’s “non-essential” period. Either way, it was a watershed moment in the band’s career and once again showed they were capable of more than your average Metal band.

12 Wasted Years (1987)

Instead of putting out a live album or video in 1987, Maiden released a long form video that combined interviews and archival footage. The title refers to the band’s formation in 1975, rather than their first single or album.

Much of the archival footage was released on The Early Days, which makes parts of this video obsolete, but there are a lot of clips that are still exclusive to this video. There are songs from Beast Over Hammersmith that weren’t included on The Early Days, several TV appearances including a really funny  performance of Wasted Years (I won’t spoil it), and the unaired rendition of Iron Maiden from Dortmund ‘83 featuring Eddie’s murder. This video also contains the only officially released live footage of their Somewhere on Time tour, albeit only short clips.

The clips are showcased alongside interview footage with the band members and various people involved including Rod Smallwood (their manager), Doug Hall (live sound man), Dave Lights (stage designer), and Derek Riggs (the artist of all their covers until 1992). The only former member interviewed is Paul Di’anno, who had just recently recorded the debut album with his new band Battlezone. No other former members are included, and few are even mentioned (including Clive Burr, which seemed strange).

For those who haven’t checked out The Early Days: First of all, you’re missing out. But check out 12 Wasted Years because it serves as a nice highlight reel of the band’s first 12 years (although the archival footage doesn’t go any further back than 1980). For those who have seen The Early Days and Live After Death but not this, I still highly recommend it. The interview portions are also great. It tells a very different story of the band looking back on their career in 1986 as opposed to The Early Days which shows the band 25 years into their career.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere In Time (1986)
« Reply #488 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »
Mosh, these write-ups are excellent.

It's a toss up between this album and Seventh Son as my favorite Iron Maiden album.  I think Stranger in a Strange Land is one of the bands most underrated tunes; its one of my personal favorites.

And the album cover is spectacular and would make the top of my list.  But then again, Blade Runner is my top movie as well.

Offline jammindude

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere In Time (1986)
« Reply #489 on: June 24, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »
This album for me marks the beginning of the "lazy chorus"...   Repeat the title of the song over and over, and BOOM...instant chorus.   This was not unknown, but pretty rare on the first 5 albums.   

Plus, it's the first IM album with "skip tracks".   

Personally, I love Sea of Madness, and I consider that to be my favorite song from the entire album.   Wasted Years, and Stranger are also easy to like.  I like the title track, but not the chorus.   Heaven Can Wait grew on me after I heard it live...but still think the chorus is lazy.   Loneliness doesn't grab me at all.  Deja Vu is OK, but the lyrics seem more silly than usual for a Maiden track, so to me it is this albums "Quest For Fire".     And Alexander the Great, while great instrumentally, feels "phoned in" by Bruce.    I love about half of this album, and I'm pretty luke warm on the rest of it.   The synths were a big disappointment when I first heard it, but I eventually got used to them. 

I will repeat what I said earlier.   This album along with Judas Priest's Turbo were the albums that sent many metal fans over the fence to "the big 4", and were partially responsible for the explosion of thrash between 86-89.    Metal fans *wanted* heavier, and were very proud of the organic approach that metal bands had always had.   You had to be there, but trust me....IM and JP both going synth heavy at the same time really made it feel like our heroes had abandoned us in favor of trying to gain more popularity. 

In retrospect, it's a pretty good album.   But Seventh Son is an improvement on the same style. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude