Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183511 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Number Of the Beast (1982)
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
Yea, next installment will have a bit more on Clive, as it's the official story has changed over the years. Here's a video of Maiden doing a TV performance with Nicko on drums filling in for Clive (notice the Eddie mask): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThVmRzSAak

Re the music videos: I'm with Bosk on RTTH. One of my least favorite Maiden vids and it always irritated me that it was the only Maiden vid they ever played on the VH1 Metal program. Still, it must've made an impression in the US. I think Maiden have some good vids though. NOTB is a cool video, I like all the monster movie clips. I like the studio footage in Flight Of Icarus (you don't get that stuff often with Maiden), Can I Play With Madness is cool, Holy Smoke is fun, and the clips in Wasted Years are awesome. The videos were really bad during the reunion era IMO. Speed of Light is awesome and Ben Breeg is cool, but all the other videos are filled with cheap animation and seem like afterthoughts.
MTV certainly played the Aces High video. Actually the same thing as RttH only serious. Good video. Myself, it was the Icarus video that made an impression with me, and it actually got a fair amount of airplay.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2017, 11:17:05 PM »
That brings back memories.  I remember when the premier of the very first video/single TMTM was promoted as a major event on MTV.   Commercials ALL WEEK saying that it premiering Friday night (or something....I dont actually remember what night it was).   But man, they promoted the heck outta that thing.

Those were the glory days to be a metal head.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2017, 01:05:48 AM »
I don't know if if has been brought up yet, but the whole story about how Bruce was asked to be in the band is pretty hilareous. It comes up in the brilliant dvd 'Early Years volume I, which I highly recommend as one of the best dvd's I ever purchased. Apparantly, Rod Smallwood, Maiden's manager pulled Bruce aside after a gig to talk to him about joining the band, only they were smack in the middle of this field or square under a high light mast where every one in attendence could clearly see them. 'Wonder what that's all about, eh?!'   :biggrin:

Also, while in Samson, Bruce wasn't really known for his 'Metal' dress sense. In fact he was known to perform, (long hair and all) wearing a long sleeved flowing 'hippy' shirt. One of the first things Rod did was to give him a hundred pounds to 'go buy yourself a leather jacket' to look the part.

I do think adding Bruce to the band upped them from a local known band to a world class act.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2017, 05:23:51 AM »
I'm can only assume that Rod made sure he dropped the " Bruce Bruce" name. Not sure who thought that was a good idea in the first place lol.

I agree that Iron Maiden early days DVD is quite the interesting viewing and is definitely recommended if you're a fan.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2017, 06:19:54 AM »
I wonder why... 'Dick-in-son' nudge nudge, say no more, wink- wink know wot I mean?' 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »
I agree that Iron Maiden early days DVD is quite the interesting viewing and is definitely recommended if you're a fan.

I love that DVD, it's bloody excellent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »

I love that DVD, it's bloody excellent.

I haven't watched it since release, I should watch it again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »
Here's a video of Maiden doing a TV performance with Nicko on drums filling in for Clive (notice the Eddie mask): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThVmRzSAak

Wow.  They really had a hard time in their younger days figuring out how to use all that space on such a huge stage.  Glad they eventually figured it out.  :lol

You know, I don't remember ever seeing any videos from POM or Powerslave.  I remember Run To the Hills being played relentlessly.  And then I remember Stranger in a Strange Land.  But beyond that, I don't really recall any.  Did MTV relegate them mostly to Headbanger's Ball, or was I just not paying attention?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
As I stated...I remember them making a very big deal out of the Two Minutes to Midnight premier.

I love that video.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
Here's a video of Maiden doing a TV performance with Nicko on drums filling in for Clive (notice the Eddie mask): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThVmRzSAak

Wow.  They really had a hard time in their younger days figuring out how to use all that space on such a huge stage.  Glad they eventually figured it out.  :lol

You know, I don't remember ever seeing any videos from POM or Powerslave.  I remember Run To the Hills being played relentlessly.  And then I remember Stranger in a Strange Land.  But beyond that, I don't really recall any.  Did MTV relegate them mostly to Headbanger's Ball, or was I just not paying attention?

They had a video to Flight Of Icarus, which I liked, and then another one for The Trooper, which was basically them on stage IIRC. They released a 4 track VHS called Video Pieces (I suppose we're getting ahead of ourselves) containing the vids to RTTH, TNOTB, FOI, and The Trooper..

As J-Dude said, the video to 2MTM was a big deal. More on that when we get there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
So since he's about to fully come into the picture, here's some Pre Maiden Nicko:

With Pat Travers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvec0ZVGBnk

..and Trust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUwkh961f4
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
Not really into Trust (I remember hearing them on a late 80s metal comp and I wasn't impressed) but the Pat Travers stuff is awesome. An under appreciated side of Nicko IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
One thing that's very similar to early Nicko and early Clive was how much fun they both had playing the drums. They are both really captivating.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2017, 08:14:54 PM »
Yea, next installment will have a bit more on Clive, as it's the official story has changed over the years. Here's a video of Maiden doing a TV performance with Nicko on drums filling in for Clive (notice the Eddie mask): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThVmRzSAak

Re the music videos: I'm with Bosk on RTTH. One of my least favorite Maiden vids and it always irritated me that it was the only Maiden vid they ever played on the VH1 Metal program. Still, it must've made an impression in the US. I think Maiden have some good vids though. NOTB is a cool video, I like all the monster movie clips. I like the studio footage in Flight Of Icarus (you don't get that stuff often with Maiden), Can I Play With Madness is cool, Holy Smoke is fun, and the clips in Wasted Years are awesome. The videos were really bad during the reunion era IMO. Speed of Light is awesome and Ben Breeg is cool, but all the other videos are filled with cheap animation and seem like afterthoughts.

Brighter Than a Thousand a Suns is a great video.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
Did that have a video? Only thing I can think of is that Live at Abbey Road thing, which wasn't really a "music video" in the traditional MTV sense.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
This is just out of curiosity, Dennis Stratton and Clive Burr in the same band, live in 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJ3ljWY8II
Aparently this was the last recording by Clive.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »
I listened to Beast Over Hammersmith today. Damn, what an awesome live album. One that is far too underplayed and underappreciated.

I will say that Clive is on point. And the live version of Total Eclipse is excellent.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »
I listened to Beast Over Hammersmith today. Damn, what an awesome live album. One that is far too underplayed and underappreciated.

I will say that Clive is on point. And the live version of Total Eclipse is excellent.

Yes, and a legendary live rendition of HBTN by Bruce.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »
OK, lets move on to that. Post incoming!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »

Brighter Than a Thousand a Suns is a great video.

What video?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »
Beast Over Hammersmith (2002)

Beast Over Hammersmith actually wasn’t released until 2002 as part of the Eddie’s Archive set (which we will discuss), but it makes more sense to discuss it after TNOTB.

The Beast On the Road tour started in the UK in February 1982 and and ran all the way to December of that year. The band made their usual stops as well as visiting new markets, such as Australia. They also performed their first headlining dates in the US on this tour, although they hadn’t completely moved to full headline status. They were attached to some pretty high profile tours with Rainbow, Scorpions, 38 Special, and, of course, Judas Priest.

Beast Over Hammersmith captures was one of the earliest dates on the tour. In fact, the album wasn’t even out yet by this point! It’s really surreal hearing the intro to TNOTB and nobody is chanting along. Anyway, it was filmed and meant to be released but there was a lighting mishap and the band decided it wasn’t up to their standard of quality. Some clips from the show were eventually released in the 12 Wasted Years video and another excerpt was eventually released on The Early Days DVD. It looks fine to me and I really think they should put the whole show out on video at some point. This performance is great. Everybody is on top form, Bruce sounds fantastic, and it’s a solid setlist. I actually prefer this to Live After Death.

The Beast On the Road setlist is pretty interesting. First of all, it’s one of the few tours where the opener wasn’t the album opener, and the only tour where the opener wasn’t a song from the latest album (Sanctuary was at least on the US version of the debut and was used to promote the debut). This was a good decision though. Bruce sounds great on Murders In the Rue Morgue, it fits his voice much better than it did Paul. It is also important to consider the timeline: Bruce was brand new, unless you caught one of his warmup shows the only idea you had of him in Maiden was the Run To the Hills single. Also the album wasn’t out yet when the tour started. So starting the album with two “safe” songs and fan favorites from the previous album followed by the single made a lot of sense. By then they had won over the crowd and could debut new material.

Another oddity with this setlist is that they played Total Eclipse, a b-side that was left off the album. Another good decision. Not only is it far superior to Gangland, but it comes off even better live. A true highlight of the tour. The rest of the set consists of highlights from the first two albums, making Beast Over Hammersmith a definitive collection of their early material. This is the best way to hear these songs IMO.

Of course the Beast On the Road tour marked another major change for the band. After three albums and three years of touring, it was time for Clive Burr to go. Clive Burr’s departure is eerily similar to Paul’s in that it isn’t totally clear if Clive quit or was fired because the story has changed over the years. Clive did have to leave the tour midway through because of a death in the family, which is when Nicko McBrain was hired to fill in. Clive returned, but was then dismissed from the band at the end. It is not clear whether Clive felt he needed to leave, if Maiden decided they were better with Nicko, or if Clive declined when he returned. Either way, Clive was out and the band’s classic 80s lineup was complete. More on that later.

As far as bootlegs go, there are some really good ones out there. Their performance in New York was recorded for an FM broadcast and it really sounds great. It’s a bit later in the tour after Hammersmith, so the band is more comfortable in the setlist. But Hammersmith is such a great and complete recording that the bootlegs aren’t all that necessary unless you’re a hardcore fan of the band or this tour in particular. So I thought I’d do something different. The Maiden/Priest tour has already been discussed by some members here and hopefully we’ll get some stories from those who attended, but I always thought that was one of those dream concerts. Judas Priest touring off of one of their greatest albums with Maiden as an opener is an insane combination. So instead of sharing New York, I thought I’d go with bootlegs of that tour, so people can get a glimpse at what it was like. I wanted to find recordings of the same date, but the only one I found was very low quality. So here’s Maiden in Philly and Priest in Chicago about a month earlier. Both shows featured both bands together, so it’s an accurate representation of the tour. Two legendary bands at the top of their game with two solid setlists.

Maiden: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1aj2j7aqkkk925d/AADJv5ddo0X1J6QjEVBsUlQIa?dl=0
Priest: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jdwfs6whd1zo8s5/AADx2MuseBhL0r5-Xj5dLQG5a?dl=0

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Beast Over Hammersmith (1982/2002)
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
Maiden and Priest together on the same show would just be unreal!!  They real should do one more tour together.

I don't want to even say how much I paid for Eddies Archive a few years ago, but it was actually worth it for Beast Over Hammersmith.  Excellent live album and just showed the upgrades the band was making.  Also the b sides on EA was also very cool.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2017, 11:42:35 PM »
This is a nice live album. Good performances, solid set list, and I enjoy Bruce's occasional banter.

I remember reading Clive was fired purely because of his performance. He used to speed songs up uncontrollably and some live versions can confirm this. Whether that was the reason or not, I'm not completely sure.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »
Maiden and Priest together on the same show would just be unreal!!  They real should do one more tour together.

I don't want to even say how much I paid for Eddies Archive a few years ago, but it was actually worth it for Beast Over Hammersmith.  Excellent live album and just showed the upgrades the band was making.  Also the b sides on EA was also very cool.

I bought it when it originally came out and sold it a few years ago on ebay.  All of my box sets were just sitting around in a closet, so I unloaded them.  I had the original version with the purple (?) velvet interior.  I think I sold it for $80-100, which at the time, was a really nice price for a 3-double disc box set. 

I still listen to Beast Over Hammersmith quite often.  I love having a live album from that early in the Bruce period, though I prefer his live vocals in the later periods.  It's great to have recordings of him singing a lot of the Dianno songs. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:12:16 AM by Grappler »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
I didn't know that show was from the beginning of the tour. Another cool information!
Also, maybe at first Total Eclipse was chosen for the set because it was an already known song from the Run to the Hills EP. And they continued to played it because also it was so damn good that they regreted to not included it on the album  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:21:53 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »

I'm repeating myself now, but this was my first concert EVER.   Maiden on the NOTB tour opening for Priest on the Screaming... tour.   Needless to say, standards were set very high.   I was blown away.  I didn't know humans could make that kind of sound, and Bruce was just a FORCE on stage.   He was a MANIAC, in a good way.  I really feel privileged to have seen that show, and it is indelible in my mind to this day (Priest were no slouches, either, but they couldn't compare - energy wise - to Maiden.   I think it took tremendous balls, class and confidence for them to "let" Maiden open for them night after night.   It could NOT have been easy to follow that tsunami every show.)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
I saw them on this tour but they were supporting Scorpions at the time. For various chemical reasons (mainly mushrooms), I don't remember this concert all that much and only really remember leaving half way through the Scorps...my ride didn't like them. My first clear memory of seeing IM live was a couple of tours later.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this thread. As a huge Maiden fan I check this thread daily for updates. Much appreciated!  :hefdaddy

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
Beast over Hammersmith has the best version of Phantom of the Opera imo. Bruce goes for broke on that one. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »
  this was my first concert EVER.   

I saw them on this tour 

;D

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
Hey, TAC

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
I know that's not you. That dude is too young! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »
  So here’s Maiden in Philly 

Thank you for the show, Mosh. I have the Baltimore boot from a week later and I love that.

I absolutely remember this tour. A kid on my hockey team went. They came in Oct of 82. It was my freshman year of high school, and my parents wouldn't let me go. I was  >:(. I would attend my first concert the following summer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
Amazing live album, everything about it is just magic.  I really love the videos that are on the 12 Wasted Years video, and I really wish they would just release the whole show.

I got this when I got the Eddie's Archive for XMas, great boxset.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »

I'm repeating myself now, but this was my first concert EVER.   Maiden on the NOTB tour opening for Priest on the Screaming... tour.   Needless to say, standards were set very high.   I was blown away.  I didn't know humans could make that kind of sound, and Bruce was just a FORCE on stage.   He was a MANIAC, in a good way.  I really feel privileged to have seen that show, and it is indelible in my mind to this day (Priest were no slouches, either, but they couldn't compare - energy wise - to Maiden.   I think it took tremendous balls, class and confidence for them to "let" Maiden open for them night after night.   It could NOT have been easy to follow that tsunami every show.)

I can only vaguely imagine what it must have been like to start one's life of concerts THAT way!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!