Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185030 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Powerslave (1984)
« Reply #385 on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
TAC, I've heard the Metal goes Egyptian thing described as a trope before but I can't really think of any other bands going with that theme at the time, at least not to the extent Maiden did. Metallica did Creeping Death, but that was just the one song. Kiss had the Vinnie Vincent makeup, but that's as far as it went. Can you give some examples?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »
    I've just gotten back into Back in the Village 

So you're...back in the village?
:neverusethis:

Marty, you're back!   Yes, I'm Back!   BACK FROM THE FUTURE.   :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #388 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
TAC, I've heard the Metal goes Egyptian thing described as a trope before but I can't really think of any other bands going with that theme at the time, at least not to the extent Maiden did. Metallica did Creeping Death, but that was just the one song. Kiss had the Vinnie Vincent makeup, but that's as far as it went. Can you give some examples?

Well, Dio's Last In Line tour earlier that summer had a Pyramid styled stage. Probably based on the Egypt track. In fairness, Iron Maiden probably had their plans laid out before that.

All I can say is that those were my feelings "at the time". It just felt very unoriginal. It felt clichéd. It felt like an easy way out. I just remember getting Powerslave and thinking, really?

Plus, after they "killed" Eddie off, the fact that he came back as a mummy was ...predictable.

Mosh, you are familiar with the 2MtM riff used by those other bands, right?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:36:52 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #389 on: June 12, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
A minor riffs with a flat5/blue-note have been a staple in rock music since the 1950's, and possibly even before that. It's something that most guitarists learn within their first year of playing the instrument. If Adrian Smith is guilty of stealing that, then you need to cite just about every other guitarist in the genre' as being a thief as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #390 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
A minor riffs with a flat5/blue-note 

Wut? :lol

Ok, but think of what I said. I've just turned 16 and this is now the 6th song in my collection that starts out the exact same way. My collection at that point was only so big. I already had Maiden on a pedestal. I felt let down.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: June 12, 2017, 08:18:50 PM »
A minor riffs with a flat5/blue-note have been a staple in rock music since the 1950's, 

I would love, LOVE to hear a 50's version of that riff.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #392 on: June 12, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
A minor riffs with a flat5/blue-note 

Wut? :lol

Ok, but think of what I said. I've just turned 16 and this is now the 6th song in my collection that starts out the exact same way. My collection at that point was only so big. I already had Maiden on a pedestal. I felt let down.

Sorry. A little bit of music/scale theory.

I understand your point, but I can guarantee you that almost every band in your record collection has a sample of that exact same thing somewhere in their song writing. Every guitarist with a blues influence in their playing has used that in one form or another since the invention of rock music. Individual approaches may vary, but there are only 12 notes in western music to choose from. People are going to trample all over each other a lot of the time. It's unavoidable after a certain point, and the year 1984 was well beyond that point.

A few other examples of the same thing are:

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple (G minor key)
Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent (A minor key, same as 2 mins.)
Ghost of a Chance - Rush (F# minor if memory serves me right)

There are countless other songs, but those are just a few examples that came to mind. I haven't picked up a guitar in a couple of years, but I know that there were several other songs that I could play at one point or another that shared that.

However, it wouldn't be the only time that AS would lift a riff off of one of his peers. Wicker Man riff is lifted off of Judas Priest's Running Wild.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #393 on: June 12, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple (G minor key)
Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent (A minor key, same as 2 mins.)

Hey, now that you mention it... Hmmm..

However, it wouldn't be the only time that AS would lift a riff off of one of his peers. Wicker Man riff is lifted off of Judas Priest's Running Wild.

*grabs iPod*

Edit:  :omg:

Offline Mosh

« Reply #394 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »

Well, Dio's Last In Line tour earlier that summer had a Pyramid styled stage. Probably based on the Egypt track. In fairness, Iron Maiden probably had their plans laid out before that.

All I can say is that those were my feelings "at the time". It just felt very unoriginal. It felt clichéd. It felt like an easy way out. I just remember getting Powerslave and thinking, really?

Plus, after they "killed" Eddie off, the fact that he came back as a mummy was ...predictable.

Gotcha. I just ask because you're not the first to bring it up. Didn't know about the Dio tour, it's a cool stage but it's no Powerslave.

I am aware of the 2MtM riff, it's definitely one of Maiden's less creative riff. However, despite the riff, the rest of the song is very original. One of their best tracks. Love that instrumental section.

PowerSlave: It's less to do with the notes used and more the rhythmic pattern. I wouldn't use the examples you mentioned. Try these instead, all before 2 Minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pESK87BCn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUbLtdqdg9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JruuMkV0gM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzC0bGCdxis

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, or that Maiden were aware of all these songs (although they had to have been aware of Rory Gallagher and Saxon at least), but it was definitely a Metal cliche by the time they used it.

Going off that, I would also argue that Adrian Smith was not the master riff writer of the band. He's a great songwriter, but he excels more at lead melodies and hooks. Most of his riffs are fairly simple.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #395 on: June 12, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
I love how there are comments on each one of those videos talking about 2 Minutes ...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #396 on: June 12, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »

Gotcha. I just ask because you're not the first to bring it up. Didn't know about the Dio tour, it's a cool stage but it's no Powerslave.

I am aware of the 2MtM riff, it's definitely one of Maiden's less creative riff. However, despite the riff, the rest of the song is very original. One of their best tracks. Love that instrumental section.

PowerSlave: It's less to do with the notes used and more the rhythmic pattern. I wouldn't use the examples you mentioned. Try these instead, all before 2 Minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pESK87BCn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUbLtdqdg9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JruuMkV0gM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzC0bGCdxis

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, or that Maiden were aware of all these songs (although they had to have been aware of Rory Gallagher and Saxon at least), but it was definitely a Metal cliche by the time they used it.

Going off that, I would also argue that Adrian Smith was not the master riff writer of the band. He's a great songwriter, but he excels more at lead melodies and hooks. Most of his riffs are fairly simple.

Yeah, those are all better examples of the pattern. I thought that he was more focused on the flat5 than the pattern until I listened to those riffs. I've always been aware of those bands, but I never really listened to them. You guys definitely have a broader perspective of the early 80's metal movement than I do. I kind of stuck to a few bands at that time, and let a lot of other stuff pass me by.

One of you guys should start a thread for that era of metal bands. I, for one, would be very interested in learning more about a lot of those bands.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #397 on: June 12, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
Always up for more Metal discussions!

Good call on Wicker Man and Running Wild btw. The first time I heard Running Wild I couldn't believe it. Even the guitar tone is spot on. Also another Adrian Smith riff.

Maiden recycling other bands' ideas was fairly rare, although whenever it happened it was extremely blatant. Whenever they did copy something else, it was always something fairly obscure. That was more common later on though and I've got some great examples. If anything, Maiden copied themselves more often than not.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #398 on: June 13, 2017, 04:25:38 AM »
Big four of this album are part of the reason why I'm IM and metal fan. When I used to listen to songs more than albums, Aces High, 2 Minutes and Powerslave were some of my favorites. Too bad I didn't check the whole album until few years ago because there are no bad songs. It's hard to choose but I think this one is my favorite out of first 5 albums.
Also, doesn't matter how much I like Powerslave or albums before, two albums to come are peak of their discography IMO.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
...this is now!

Let me say first that Powerslave has really aged great for me. I still think it's miles behind TNOTB and POM, but I have a true appreciation for it now. This was the last album before they introduced synthesizers. So this really closes out an era in my eyes. Those are days of my youth that I can never have back, so instead of looking at it with expectations, I just accept it as "bonus music" from my favorite band's pre synth era.
I find if I just relax and let it wash over me, I enjoy it so much more. While I still know how I felt originally about the songs, and I understand why I felt that way, I feel that many of these songs have outgrown my youthful critiques.

Aces High and 2MtM back to back are amazing. Crank it up!!! I'll also go on to say that Aces High is the standout track from this album.

Losfer Words still blows, but it's Maiden so I have an appreciation for it. I was listening to QFF last week, and I felt like if they removed the vocals, and put in a little leads, it'd be a better instrumental than Losfer Words. I still think Flash is pretty weak.
But now I love The Dualist. That extended instrumental part is awesome. Similar to The Red And The Black, it's a relatively weak track that delivers you into a great instrumental section. The Duallist is one of my favorite "second tier" tracks because of that section.

Back In The Village, which happened to strike me right off, is now simply an OK track.

The title track, OK, it's awesome!!! Awesome. Not sure when I had my epiphany on it, but I'm glad I did.

And Rime. To me, I feel like I'll always be a bit conflicted. I still find it a tad monotonous. But while it can sometimes be a bit of a chore to get through, there are other times where I'm totally into it. I love the solo section after the mellow section with the harmonized guitars. That part is brilliant. But I still don't like the way the song ends.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #400 on: June 13, 2017, 05:22:17 PM »
...this is now!

Let me say first that Powerslave has really aged great for me. I still think it's miles behind TNOTB and POM, but I have a true appreciation for it now. This was the last album before they introduced synthesizers. So this really closes out an era in my eyes. Those are days of my youth that I can never have back, so instead of looking at it with expectations, I just accept it as "bonus music" from my favorite band's pre synth era.
I find if I just relax and let it wash over me, I enjoy it so much more. While I still know how I felt originally about the songs, and I understand why I felt that way, I feel that many of these songs have outgrown my youthful critiques.

Aces High and 2MtM back to back are amazing. Crank it up!!! I'll also go on to say that Aces High is the standout track from this album.

Losfer Words still blows, but it's Maiden so I have an appreciation for it. I was listening to QFF last week, and I felt like if they removed the vocals, and put in a little leads, it'd be a better instrumental than Losfer Words. I still think Flash is pretty weak.
But now I love The Dualist. That extended instrumental part is awesome. Similar to The Red And The Black, it's a relatively weak track that delivers you into a great instrumental section. The Duallist is one of my favorite "second tier" tracks because of that section.

Back In The Village, which happened to strike me right off, is now simply an OK track.

The title track, OK, it's awesome!!! Awesome. Not sure when I had my epiphany on it, but I'm glad I did.

And Rime. To me, I feel like I'll always be a bit conflicted. I still find it a tad monotonous. But while it can sometimes be a bit of a chore to get through, there are other times where I'm totally into it. I love the solo section after the mellow section with the harmonized guitars. That part is brilliant. But I still don't like the way the song ends.

You're trying to win me back, aren't you?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: June 13, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »
 :natalieportman:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: June 13, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
Yeah, I just enjoy it a lot more than I did when I was a kid. To me, by trying to hard to stand out, it kind of didn't. I don't know. It's hard to explain. I love that pre synth era on Maiden. That's what I fell in love with, even if Powerslave didn't hit me right off. But I've totally come to terms with it, and now for the most part, I love it. I think if I did a total ranking of all of their albums, it'd probably fall right in the middle.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #403 on: June 13, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
Yeah, I just enjoy it a lot more than I did when I was a kid. To me, by trying to hard to stand out, it kind of didn't. I don't know. It's hard to explain. I love that pre synth era on Maiden. That's what I fell in love with, even if Powerslave didn't hit me right off. But I've totally come to terms with it, and now for the most part, I love it. I think if I did a total ranking of all of their albums, it'd probably fall right in the middle.

I know how you feel. Some of the albums that are coming up were not very favorable for me in the past, but I've grown to have more of an appreciation for them in recent years. I've only given up on a few of their albums for good. The others that I didn't like as well still have a separate place in my heart where they could eventually become closer to being a favorite.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: World Piece Tour (1983)
« Reply #404 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:29 PM »
The greatest thing I've probably ever heard in all of my music years was Mission From 'Arry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90AURC1SGg

I always thought, what band releases something like that? The answer. The coolest band in the world, that's who.

From The Early Days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzN9JvDT0Oc

He's Nicko talking about it in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmOeEj47qrc
Man, I'd pay good money to see Nicko just sit and tell stories. Great find.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #405 on: June 13, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
Bart, you have to sit through the Eddie Trunk link I posted in the other thread. F'n hilarious.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #406 on: June 14, 2017, 02:16:19 AM »
Powerslave was a huge album for me. I remember buying it and sitting at home studying the artwork for more than a half hour. It's insanely good. And that's just the artwork.
Musically, it is another huge step forward in sound for the band. Aces high/2 minutes.. is a fantastic one-two punch, and the rest of the album only gets better. I loved Back in the village, the Duellists and Flash of the blade. Beyond me why they haven't played that song live (or have they?). Los ' fer words is a pretty much standard Maiden instrumental. That leaves the two 'Big Songs'  of the album: Powerslave and Rime. Powerslave is a fantastic classic Maiden track, but Rime of the Ancient Mariner is where it was for me. A ten plus minute Maiden song?! Wow. The whole song is so fantastically well executed and the atmosphere was so thick you can cut it with a knife. The whole 'middle ' break'  part' of the song just left me spellbound listening to it. The creaks of the wood, the ropes, Steve's fantastic bassline, everyting was just beyond belief for me and the pinnacle of what they had done up until then. Then the whole ' Finale'  with Bruce screaming ' Then down in falls comes THE RAAAAIIIIIIINNNN!!!'  And BOOM! that lightnigh crash and the tension building even further. Could metal get any better? Not in my book. And then Live after Death comes out and it turns out the live version even tops it!  :eek
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #407 on: June 14, 2017, 02:20:59 AM »
You brilliantly described Rime!

I remember discovering the song and being spellbound by it, at the time I wasn't fully formed in my musical tastes and knowledge so I probably thought it was the creepiest and spookiest thing ever recorded  :lol I remember sending my cousins in the dark greenhouse of our grandparents to listen to it for maximum effect.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: June 14, 2017, 08:55:22 AM »
  The creaks of the wood, the ropes, Steve's fantastic bassline, everyting was just beyond belief for me and the pinnacle of what they had done up until then. Then the whole ' Finale'  with Bruce screaming ' Then down in falls comes THE RAAAAIIIIIIINNNN!!!'  And BOOM! that lightnigh crash and the tension building even further. Could metal get any better? Not in my book. And then Live after Death comes out and it turns out the live version even tops it!  :eek

:metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: June 14, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
Listening to it now :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #410 on: June 14, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
I had trouble getting into Rime. It was the second longest song I knew (the first was 2112) and it seemed to really drag, especially once that middle section hit. Once that part clicked for me, the rest seemed to come together. There are so many classic Maiden riffs in that song. It's a little different from a Dream Theater epic. There's no huge ending, it's just a repeat of the first verse. The instrumental section is fairly simple, but oozes in melody. Getting ahead of myself here, but I thought it was really interesting that they managed to surpass Rime twice on the last album in terms of length, yet neither TRATB or Empire really matched Rime. TRATB isn't really telling a story the way Rime does, and it's really more of a long jam than anything else. Empire has the storytelling down, but nothing nearly as musically exciting, the music is in pure service to the story. Rime somehow captures the best of both worlds and then some. As far as Metal epics go, I don't think it has ever been quite matched. Truly a special moment and a definite influence on progressive Metal.

I think Losfer Words is a highly underrated track. I will concede that it feels more like a studio outtake or a b-side, which makes its placement on the album a bit odd, but it's still a ripping track. I seem to have odd opinions on Maiden's instrumentals overall. Transylvania is easily my least favorite and my favorites are Losfer Words and Genghis Khan. That said, instrumentals were never Maiden's strong point and I don't miss them.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #411 on: June 14, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Empire has the storytelling down, but nothing nearly as musically exciting

The riff in Empire that starts right around the 10:30 mark puts my ass in motion every time I hear it. True that the music is more in service to the story in that song, but THAT RIFF!!!  :metal

Offline Mosh

« Reply #412 on: June 14, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
Oh yea, that's my favorite part of the song and one of the best Maiden riffs. And the singer came up with it!

Don't get me wrong, Empire is awesome. But more on that later.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #413 on: June 14, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »
I think they came pretty damn close with Empire.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mosh

« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
I would argue that WTWWB actually came pretty close.

Offline Mosh

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: World Slavery Tour (1984 - 85)
« Reply #415 on: June 16, 2017, 05:59:03 PM »
World Slavery Tour (1984 - 1985)

In August 1984, two months after recording Powerslave and one month before release, the band embarked on their largest tour ever. The itinerary would’ve made today’s bands recoil in horror. They only paused for a two week break in Christmas ‘84 and ran until July 1985. It included a full UK tour, a European run that took them to the Eastern Bloc, two massive North American legs, a Japanese tour, an Australian tour, and their first South American gig. There were long stretches in gigs, from 3 night runs to 4 night runs to even 7 night runs (Radio City, but the last two gigs were cancelled when Bruce got sick). To accompany this tour, the band brought their largest and most bombastic stage show ever. It featured, for the first time, two Eddies instead of one. The regular walk on Eddie during Powerslave and a massive Eddie that was revealed during Iron Maiden. There was pyro, elaborate lighting, and backdrops to punctuate the Ancient Egypt theme. Maiden were truly on top of the world and this tour marks their peak as a touring band.

The World Slavery Tour was really the beginning of the Maiden live show as we know it now. The stage set up became the standard for every tour since, with the platforms and the drapes in the background. The previous tours were similar in design but slightly different. The tour also began the tradition of two Eddies: one that walks on stage and a big Eddie that appears during Iron Maiden. The setlist for this tour also established many of the traditions that continue today. Hallowed won the competition with Phantom over which would become the staple epic, as this tour became the first not to feature Phantom in the regular setlist (it was played occasionally). Running Free replaced Drifter as the fun audience participation closer. This was also the beginning of the band cutting back on the number of new songs played live, with only 5 out of 8 songs played from Powerslave as opposed to 7 out of 9 from Piece of Mind and 6 out of 8 from NOTB (plus one of the b-sides). Losfer Words was also dropped midway through the tour, cutting the number down to 4. 5 or 6 new songs would become the standard going forward.

The World Slavery Tour was massive, and as a result there is a lot to talk about here. While Live After Death is the main event, I’d like to go in order so we can see how the tour developed.

Behind The Iron Curtain (August, 1984)

The band were already making history at the very start of this tour when they decided to begin the tour in the Soviet controlled Eastern Bloc, also known as the “Iron Curtain”. Not many bands toured there and nobody brought a full production there. Maiden became the first to bring their full production to the region, and it was for Powerslave of all tours. Behind The Iron Curtain is a documentary that originally aired on MTV, was subsequently released on VHS, and again on DVD as a bonus feature on Live After Death. The Live After Death version is definitive, as it’s an extended cut. It follows the band’s tour both on and off stage. The live clips are fairly low quality but it’s pretty incredible seeing how they crammed the whole stage show into the tiny auditoriums. Compare the footage on this video to Live After Death and it’s hard to believe that it’s the same stage. As far as I know they didn’t take any shortcuts either.

The documentary footage is also pretty fun. There are some behind the scenes clips here and there from before 1984 but this was the first look at what Maiden were like offstage. You get to see them play football/soccer, hang out on their bus, and go sight seeing. One of the most memorable moments is when they were invited to a Polish wedding. They showed up and played Smoke On the Water on a tiny stage and mingled with the attendees. This was also the scene of what is probably the most infamous moment on the documentary: Bruce Dickinson declaring that “you can’t play Heavy Metal with synthesizers”.

Four Nights At Hammersmith (October 1984)

(Single artwork for the Live After Death recording of Run To The Hills, which included two songs on the b-side recorded at Hammersmith)

With all the officially released material from this tour, bootlegs hardly seem necessary. But, as discussed earlier, in the 80’s the USA got a shorter setlist than Europe. So what you get on Live After Death is the abridged setlist. In addition to the four night run in Long Beach, Maiden recorded an earlier four night run in Hammersmith. By recording two different stops, they were given a lot of material to work with. Ultimately they went with Long Beach, but they did include some recordings from the first night at Hammersmith on side 4 of Live After Death and as b-sides to the two singles that were released for the album. So all the songs that were played on the tour were released officially, just never a full length concert recording.

With all that in mind, here’s the third night at Hammersmith. It’s fun to hear how the show evolved, from the setlist to Bruce’s banter to the tightness of the band. They’re a little more loose here and there’s always an energy level when Maiden are playing their home turf that’s unlike any other location in the world. It feels less “rehearsed” than Long Beach. It’s also one of the rare instances of Murders In the Rue Morgue and Phantom Of the Opera being performed on this tour. You also get Losfer Words, which was still a regular at this point.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9bzw5yxogezqlr/1984-10-12%20-%20London%2C%20England%20-%20V2%20%28Taped%20by%20Gig%20Addiction%29%20%28Balls%20Up%20in%20the%20Balcony%29%20%28DMM%20024%29%20%2868.48%2C%2047.09%29%20copy.zip?dl=0

Rock In Rio (January 1985)

The band took a detour in their North American tour to fly down to South America and perform at the very first Rock In Rio. They were on directly before Queen (can you imagine following the Powerslave show? Even Queen would struggle) and performed a complete set. An excerpt of the show is also included on the Live After Death DVD, but bootlegs exist of the full performance (it was broadcasted live on TV and radio). The concert was massive and probably the largest audience Maiden ever played to. Capacity rules were less rigid in 1985 than in 2001 so there was less of a limit on how many people were allowed into the venue. Exact figures are unknown, but attendance is said to be around 30,000.

There are a few moments of note in the officially released video of Rock In Rio. You can hear Bruce yelling at someone to turn up his monitors, a rare video recording of Dave Murray’s guitar solo, and Bruce splitting his head open on one of the guitars during Revelations and continuing to perform. It’s a solid performance and another legendary moment in the band’s career.

Live After Death (March, 1985)

Of course the crown jewel of the Powerslave tour is the live album. Released two months after the tour ended, Live After Death was the band’s first full length live album. It’s their Alive!/At Budokan/Made In Japan. A classic live album that helped cement Maiden as one of the premier live bands.

The album and video were recorded over a 4 night stretch at Long Beach Arena in Los Angeles (in addition to being their first live album, it’s the only complete performance they recorded in America). Both cull from different nights, so when you watch the video you get a different performance than when you listen to the album. Side 4 of LAD was taken from the first night of their previously mentioned Hammersmith run. The b-sides from the Live After Death single contained more songs from the Hammersmith show, so you get a nice selection of songs that weren’t performed at Long Beach.

Live After Death, especially the video, really captures the spectacle of live Maiden. It depicts the band and their stage as larger than life and features an onslaught of future classics. It could be argued that many of the songs that are live staples today became that way because of their presence on this album. At this point the band had been on tour for 8 months and the show was refined and rehearsed to the point where the everything ran extremely smoothly. The band is tight and the cues all occur without errors. Bruce’s voice has started to wear by this point (he was generally pretty inconsistent live in the 80s), but he doesn’t compromise as a performer.

While it’s unfortunate that only four songs from Powerslave were being played at this point, it actually works in the album’s favor. Live After Death serves as a “Greatest Hits” package for the band’s early days with each album getting time in the spotlight (only Killers is underrepresented with just one song).

Live After Death was a huge success for the band and is up there with Number Of the Beast as a landmark album. Many consider it their greatest album and one of the great live albums of any genre. It’s a great way to commemorate such a legendary tour.

Live After Death was finally released on DVD in 2008. The DVD features pretty much everything I’ve discussed in this post and more. There are pictures, music videos, and an in depth documentary chronicling the making of Powerslave and the tour. Lots of cool stories that I haven’t even mentioned. Definitely another essential release.

The Entire Population of Hackney (December 1985)

When the World Slavery Tour concluded in California in July, the band took their first extended break since being signed to EMI. The usual protocol was to tour into December, take a two week break for Christmas, and then reconvene in the new year to write the next album and repeat the process. With Powerslave, the tour extended beyond December and into 1985, so the band took the rest of the year off.

Despite touring almost nonstop for an entire year, not everybody wanted the extended break. Nicko quickly grew frustrated and, along with Adrian Smith, rented a rehearsal studio for jamming. They invited some other musicians, including some from Adrian’s old band, Urchin, and The Entire Population of Hackney was born.

While this project was short lived, it is relevant to discuss briefly because it partially shaped the direction of the next album and serves as a nice bridge between the Powerslave era and the band’s experimental era. Several of the songs performed by this group were later recorded as b-sides for SIT singles. The project also allowed Adrian Smith to get in touch with his pre-Maiden roots, which was a more melodic almost AOR style. This style in turn influenced Smith’s writing style for the next album, but more on that later.

The band performed two gigs at the London Marquee (an old Maiden haunt) and luckily one was recorded and circulated as a bootleg. There are some Urchin songs, some FM songs, covers, and some songs that would be used in later Adrian Smith solo projects. It becomes an Iron Maiden gig by the end when Steve, Dave, and Bruce join in for Losfer Words, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and covers of Tush and Rosalie. It also features future Maiden b-sides Juanita, That Girl, and Reach Out.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxwagmkd2jzip58/The%20Entire%20Population%20of%20Hackney%20-%201985-12-19%20-%20Marquee%20Club%2C%20London%2C%20England%20-%20V4%20%28Different%20duration%29%20%2844.21%2C%2043.37%29%20copy.zip?dl=0

------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably not going to be able to update this on Sunday, so it'll be another week or so before we move on to Somewhere In Time, but hopefully there's a lot to digest and discuss here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #416 on: June 16, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »
Saw this tour on June 2, 1985 at the Providence Civic Center. Here is a scan of my ticket:

For some reason, I remember that Madonna was playing at Foxboro Stadium the same night.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:50:27 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #417 on: June 16, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
Here is a scan of the Tour Program I bought at the concert:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:55:24 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #418 on: June 16, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
What I remember about the tour.

I remember they played in Worcester (with Twisted Sister) in January. My parents wouldn't let me go to Worcester yet. Providence was only 45 minutes away, while Worcester was an hour and 45.

But they can to Providence in the summer. This was at the very end of my junior year of high school. I had my license but I'm pretty sure my father drove us.

The show..some thoughts
* The stage was incredible. It was also very bright.
* I remember Bruce singing "All of yooooouuuuuu" at the end of Revelations. I remember thinking he must think he was Dio or something.
* I vividly remember Rime, with the trusses being lowered for the slow part, and ultimately the stage exploding when the song kicked back in.
* I remember Dave and Adrian going up on the back risers during Hallowed, like they do On Live After Death. I remember that visual.

* Accept, touring Metal Heart opened and they were incredible. The best opening set I've ever seen. That is until I saw Dream Theater open for Maiden in '92.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #419 on: June 16, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
I was too young to attend the World Slavery tour, and too young to be into Maiden in general (I was 4 years old at the time), but Live After Death was one of the first albums that I picked up in the late 90's when I started getting into them and acquiring the discography.  I remember listening to the album over and over again, reading the liner notes and just daydreaming about seeing the tour when I'd get to the center of the booklet and see the full stage light up with the giant Eddie. 

My dream would be fulfilled a decade later in 2008.   :metal