Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185166 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Piece of Mind (1983)
« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »
I always got the feeling 'Somewhere in Time' was the most forgotten album of the classic run, even the band themselves don't tap into it much for live sets.

I like POM.  But I think i'm odd in that I personally think each of the albums from the classic run (NotB > SSoaSS) got slightly better.

Piece of Mind is my least favorite of the classic run, but otherwise i agree. The albums got better each time, with SSoaSS being the best Maiden album imo!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
World Piece Tour (1983)

In 1983, Maiden became a worldwide headline act. The World Piece Tour saw them headlining the US for the very first time in addition to other high profile gigs. It was a slightly shorter tour compared to Beast On the Road, as they only performed in Europe and the US. Still, it was a another step up for them featuring a brand new stage, a new Eddie, and a setlist that very heavily focused on the new album (7 songs!). Once again, the tour began shortly before the release of the album and Maiden showed confidence in their new material by performing 5 new songs right at the beginning, with only one brief break for Wrathchild. The setlist also included the usual suspects for early 80s Maiden, including Phantom Of the Opera, Sanctuary, and Hallowed Be Thy Name. A few staples would also be shelved for a pretty long time after this tour, namely Prowler and Drifter.

The tour was punctuated by their headline performance in Dortmund at the ZDF Rock/Pop Festival. The festival was a who’s who of Heavy Metal acts at the time, including Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest (now opening for Maiden, Maiden were opening for them just a year earlier), Quiet Riot, and Def Leppard, among others. The festival was broadcasted for German TV and Maiden officially released their performance on The Early Days DVD, making it the only relic of the tour officially available. It’s a great performance and you can tell that the band is having a good time celebrating the end of another successful tour. Unfortunately, it’s not the greatest representation of the tour in terms of the setlist.. Being that it was part of a festival, they only played for an hour so you get an abridged version of the set. No Where Eagles Dare as an opener, instead you get Sanctuary. Also no To Tame a Land, which was only played on this tour. The TV broadcast also omitted three songs, most notably Iron Maiden, where the band “murdered” Eddie on stage. The German censors found this to be too violent and it was cut from the original broadcast. Disappointingly, the three songs weren’t restored for The Early Days DVD. However, the performance of Iron Maiden was included on the 12 Wasted Years tape, but we’ll get to that later. The other officially released document of the tour is a short TV special called ‘Ello Texas, which shows some performance clips and interview footage.

Luckily, there are some amazing bootlegs for this tour. 1983 is when we start to see a lot more video bootlegs, the best one is Montreal, although it’s still not particularly high quality, but it’s decent. As far as audio goes, there are some really good ones. The best of which is without a doubt Ipswich, and that’s the one I’ll be sharing today. Similar to Beast Over Hammersmith, Ipswich was recorded before the album was released, so the audience is hearing the Piece of Mind songs for the very first time. Again, it’s so surreal hearing them play The Trooper and nobody is singing or clapping along. Other than that historical significance, the main reason to check this out is Where Eagles Dare and To Tame a Land. Eagles wasn’t performed often after this and the only official release (from 1993) isn’t nearly as good as on this tour. To Tame a Land was never performed again after this tour, even though it was really exciting live. The sound quality is also excellent. It could almost pass as a soundboard, despite being an audience recording.

Montreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmfeANYec9M

Ipswich: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tkgg1rxqrlurkt/1983-05-08%20Live%20in%20Ipswich%20.zip?dl=0

And that's the end of what Maiden considers their Early Days. While they had already dramatically advanced their music, it makes sense to lump the World Piece Tour with the early years because after this the band’s live show would more closely resemble what we expect from Maiden. The classic lineup was complete, the first headline tour was a success, and Maiden were on their way to even bigger things.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: World Piece Tour (1983)
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
I was busy being a little child when this tour happened. Lucky those who have seen it!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »
Nice write up about the tour.

This is the first time I see that Montreal bootleg, it's very good. Such a shame To tame a land never returned to the set list after this tour, it's just as brilliant and exciting as their other 80s epics.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
Bruce said at the concert the other night, if you were born in 83 and are into IM, then you must be a children of the damned!  I was born in 84 so that's not me, but that Ipswich concert was one of my favorite boots.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
The Ipswich boot is excellent. I also enjoy the Chicago one very much.

Mosh, I didn't know you were doing a tour writeup after each album, which I like. I'll hold off my Concert Programs for the next two albums until you do so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
Bruce said at the concert the other night, if you were born in 83 and are into IM, then you must be a children of the damned!  I was born in 84 so that's not me, 

That would make you a Revelation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #322 on: June 09, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »
The Ipswich boot is excellent. I also enjoy the Chicago one very much.

Mosh, I didn't know you were doing a tour writeup after each album, which I like. I'll hold off my Concert Programs for the next two albums until you do so.
Yea I'll do something for each tour as long as there's interest in that.

I agree that it's a shame that TTAL was retired early. I loved the early days tour but they should've included it as the centerpiece epic, like Rome and Seventh Son were for the subsequent history tours.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #323 on: June 09, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »

Count me as interested.  For most bands, I probably wouldn't be.  But given how much of an "event" Maiden tours are, how unique they are, and the fact that I missed them all, I am interested in reading your write-ups on them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: June 09, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Definitely.

I agree that it's a shame that TTAL was retired early. I loved the early days tour but they should've included it as the centerpiece epic, like Rome and Seventh Son were for the subsequent history tours.

Maiden setlists are usually headscratchers. I mean, they are likely in a position where they can't please everyone, but some things they do don't make sense.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #325 on: June 09, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
I saw that tour in '83, and honestly?  TTAL is not what I remember.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

Funny, I came in to post some of my recollections of the show, and I actually felt the same way.

What I remember:

* The intro music was Ride Of The Valkyries. EVERY time I hear it, it takes me back to this Maiden show.
* Sanctuary was perfect in the second slot
* Loved the drum solo/guitar solo section.
* This was my 2nd concert after seeing Def Leppard two months earlier. Iron Maiden was SO MUCH better.
* They were so energetic, I remember thinking that they'd even be great on a small stage, in a club. Not sure why this 14 y/o was thinking about a club show.
* Drifter was a great closer
* I bought a shirt and a program (which I've posted)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
And that's the end of what Maiden considers their Early Days. While they had already dramatically advanced their music, it makes sense to lump the World Piece Tour with the early years because after this the band’s live show would more closely resemble what we expect from Maiden. The classic lineup was complete, the first headline tour was a success, and Maiden were on their way to even bigger things.

I have some thoughts about this, but I'll hold off as it'll be more relevant when discussing Powerslave.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
This is the first time I see that Montreal bootleg, it's very good. 

That guy in Montreal filmed a lot of great shows in the early/mid 80's. They are all basically the same view. I wish he filmed the Powerslave tour.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »

Funny, I came in to post some of my recollections of the show, and I actually felt the same way.

That's amazing, but speaks to how strong their catalogue was already so early in their career.  I do think it's a shame they've never come back to it, but at least it was played unlike so many other songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »

That's amazing, but speaks to how strong their catalogue was already so early in their career.  I do think it's a shame they've never come back to it, but at least it was played unlike so many other songs.

Actually if I may add, I remember being fairly surprised that they were playing it in the first place.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
So relistening to PoM, which I really don't listen to much (usually Beast, and then reunion albums), I was reminded of what really introduced me to IM, even if I didn't get super hard turned on till years later.

In high school, my best friend was a member of the Paul Green's School of Rock.  Basically kids enrolled in the school learned guitar/bass/drums/keys/vox and then they put on cover shows at local venues.

Well, in 2007 they put on a Thin Lizzy / Iron Maiden show. My buddy played bass, and sang lead or backing vox on several songs including Flight of Icarus and Boots.  (And Phantom of the Opera.. but thats not what we are talking about right now).

I was blown away by this band, as it was really my first time listening to Maiden songs. But at the time, I was more into the whole Bluesy Thin Lizzy shit, so  I never explored IM deeper till after 2010.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mosh

« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

Count me as interested.  For most bands, I probably wouldn't be.  But given how much of an "event" Maiden tours are, how unique they are, and the fact that I missed them all, I am interested in reading your write-ups on them.
Glad to hear it, that's pretty much how I feel. Maiden are one of the few bands where the live history is almost, if not equally, as important and interesting as their recorded history. Every album tour has songs that were never played again, they all have different stages and Eddies, and it's fascinating seeing the live show being tweaked year after year to this day. I don't know if I can think of any other bands who had a basic live show concept early on and stuck with that for the rest of their career.

Definitely.

Maiden setlists are usually headscratchers. I mean, they are likely in a position where they can't please everyone, but some things they do don't make sense.
The problem IMO is that most of their supposed setlist limitations are self imposed. The current setlist is a good example. Now I was extremely happy with Children Of the Damned. I had never seen it played live before and it was a highlight at both TBOS shows I attended. So don't take this as a complaint about its inclusion. But prior to the tour they hyped it up as a song they hardly ever play live. COTD isn't that common but I still think it would've been cool if they used that opportunity to throw in a song that hasn't been played since the 80s. The unspoken "never play a song if it wasn't played on the album tour" rule is also kinda goofy. A song like Flash Of the Blade probably wasn't played in the 80s because it would've been impossible to do it justice with only two guitarists. Well now they have 3 guitarists, so how was that not on the setlist for the very first tour with three guitarists? I get there's a concern with going too obscure and alienating fans, but if they can do a tour of nothing but reunion era material certainly they can afford to do an unplayed 80s song that a large part of the audience would probably recognize.

That being said, they do continue to have a couple surprises every tour. Afraid To Shoot Strangers on the Maiden England tour was totally out of left field and a great choice. Early Days didn't get To Tame a Land but Where Eagles Dare? Who expected that?

I believe it, although you probably didn't think it would be the last time they'd play it live? It's a good song but definitely weaker than Hallowed and Phantom, which the band themselves were comparing it to at the time. My guess is that the band came to their senses after playing it for a year. Still, the mystique around it (and other songs like it) is more that they only played it on the one tour. If TTAL somehow did become the next Hallowed and was played on every subsequent tour, we'd be talking about Hallowed instead.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #333 on: June 10, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »
The only downside of getting Afraid to Shoot Strangers on the Maiden England tour is that it was a blatant stand-in for Infinite Dreams... it didn't work for whatever reason and that's another kinda-somehow-slowish song that took its place.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #334 on: June 10, 2017, 05:31:20 AM »
For a while, PoM was my favorite. As I started listening to more of their albums, the task of picking favorite became impossible.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #335 on: June 10, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
The only downside of getting Afraid to Shoot Strangers on the Maiden England tour is that it was a blatant stand-in for Infinite Dreams... it didn't work for whatever reason and that's another kinda-somehow-slowish song that took its place.
Yea, it was also a pretty clear signal that there will be no 90s history tour either (which was a stretch to begin with). Infinite Dreams being left off Maiden England was a big disappointment, that was probably the song I was most looking forward to. Glad I looked at the setlist when the tour started so I was over it by the time the tour started.

BTW worth mentioning that Ipswich and Montreal have two slightly different setlists. It seems in the 80s they often played shorter sets in North America. No Still Life, no Prowler, and Sanctuary was bumped up to the second slot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: June 10, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
Yes, all of their English shows had an extra track or two on each tour. Continued right up through No Prayer.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
From my european point of view, it looks like a general thing. I check setlists of american shows of bands I follow and they're always shorter, I don't know if maybe it has to do with more support bands, more rigid rules about curfew and opening times etc... but I get the feeling that it happens quite a lot.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #338 on: June 10, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
A lot of amphitheaters have strict curfews (the first time I saw Maiden they dropped three songs and in 2010 they skipped their P.A. intro and went straight into Wicker Man) but in the 80s they were playing arenas so I dunno.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #339 on: June 10, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
The greatest thing I've probably ever heard in all of my music years was Mission From 'Arry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90AURC1SGg

I always thought, what band releases something like that? The answer. The coolest band in the world, that's who.

From The Early Days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzN9JvDT0Oc

He's Nicko talking about it in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmOeEj47qrc

Offline Mosh

« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
Mission From 'Arry is awesome.

I just spent my day watching the entire Dortmund Festival broadcast. I have no idea why this festival isn't discussed the way US festival is, which took place earlier that year. As far as the Metal portion of US goes, most of the best bands from that show were also at Dortmund. No Van Halen or Motley Crue, but the presence of Maiden more than makes up for it. Every band on the bill is at top form and many are arguably at their peak (Def Leppard, Ozzy, Priest, Scorpions). Awesome performances all around. Only lame group on there is Krokus, who always seemed like a joke to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
Krokus circa 1983 was awesome. Headhunter is a great album. They opened Def Lep's headlining tour over here.

I wish the full sets from Dortmund were available. All you have are 20-30 minute broadcasts.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #342 on: June 11, 2017, 04:08:28 AM »
Mission from 'Arry is absolutely brillant and hilarious, Nicko is truly insane. He's as funny on it as he is in docummentaries talking about it.

"I'm not concerned with- with- with- with- with- with the people..."  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #343 on: June 11, 2017, 04:29:24 AM »
The funniest thing is that the argument had already died down, but Bruce managed to spark it up again just to record it  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: June 11, 2017, 05:17:04 AM »
The greatest thing I've probably ever heard in all of my music years was Mission From 'Arry.

When I first got into Maiden, I stated with a few of their cd's from this second hand cd store around the corner from the music shop I was working at.  I remember TNOTB, No Prayer and TXF were 3 of the first I got.  They also had the Aces High/Two Minutes to Midnight single double thingy on one cd with the b-sides and of course Mission From 'Arry is on it and it was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard, especially coupling with the Listen with Nicko segment.  Made me love the band even more.  It has the greatest ending ever!!  Bruce sounds so sincere and love what he does here.

Bruce: "There's a difference between making a mistake and making a human error."  hahaha

Nicko: "The fact is, he was a dumbcock cause he don't know how to fucking communicate.
Bruce: "No he's not a dumbcock" 

:rollin

Nicko: "Fuck my old boots!!"

Nicko: "Then that's fine, if I didn't fuck up........but he made me fuck."
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2017, 05:38:48 AM »
I think he uses the German term 'Dummkopf', meaning stupid.

Otherwise, yeah hilareous piece of sonic history.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
I think he uses the German term 'Dummkopf', meaning stupid.

Otherwise, yeah hilareous piece of sonic history.

Really, I didn't know that, I'll have to listen again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2017, 07:06:46 AM »
I love how they list it like a regular track, with writing credits (Harris, McBrain).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #348 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
Quest For Fire catches a lot of flack. I bet it could've made a decent instrumental on par with Losfer Words.

Not a fan of Quest For Fire (in the context of a great album) but I love Sun and steel.

I was disappointed with Clive Burr being replaced. He was one of very few drummers I really noticed and air drummed to. Although Nicko is a nutter and a real character I was never in love with his drumming the same way.

This album is top 3 for me I think. Better than NotB, just, behind Killers.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #349 on: June 11, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »

I always thought, what band releases something like that? The answer. The coolest band in the world, that's who.

From The Early Days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzN9JvDT0Oc

He's Nicko talking about it in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmOeEj47qrc

Oh my god, that is hilarious. I never knew about that. Just another reason why they are one of my favorite bands in the world.