Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183622 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Brave New World (2000)
« Reply #1435 on: October 24, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
The Nomad has always been one of my favorite songs on the album. My only gripe is that I have never really liked the transition from the middle part back to the vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1436 on: October 24, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
Lots of good stuff on this album. The part in The Thin Line where Bruce sings the high chorus:

I will hope, my soul will fly, so I will live forever
Heart will die, my soul will fly, and I will live forever

gets me every time. Very emotional.

That is for me the only highlight of the song. The rest doesn't grab me as much.

After so many praise for the album, there had to be a lukewarm comment for a song  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1437 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:56 AM »
The instrumental part of TTLBLaH is my favorite and always reminded me a lot of fates warning (Band), with the 3 guitars working very well together.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1438 on: October 24, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »
I never really rated Blood Brothers that high, but on TBOS tour is was a highlight and possibly my fav song on the night, it was brilliant.

This.  Blew me away in fact.    I was like Jammindude:  really looking forward to the reunion and the album, and very disappointed in what I got.  It's grown on me to be sure, but it's still in the bottom half of reunion albums, for me.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1439 on: October 26, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
Wicker Man, GoTN, OOTSP, TTLBLAH are great. Rest of it never gets played anymore. Was a solid comeback though.

Saw them in London on this this tour supported by Entombed and Slayer. They ran out of beer so I got plastered on white wine and kissed my mate during Blood Brothers. So metal.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: October 26, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
 :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1441 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:58 AM »
I guess it's one of those tracks that are pretty good in the studio - but really comes alive in a live setting. I've never seen them in concert but I can bet it's a monster live.

Listen to Rock in Rio. Blood Brothers, Sign of the Cross, all stellar versions.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1442 on: October 27, 2017, 02:45:39 AM »
I guess it's one of those tracks that are pretty good in the studio - but really comes alive in a live setting. I've never seen them in concert but I can bet it's a monster live.

Listen to Rock in Rio. Blood Brothers, Sign of the Cross, all stellar versions.

I love that version on RiR.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: October 27, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
The Nomad has always been one of my favorite songs on the album. My only gripe is that I have never really liked the transition from the middle part back to the vocals.

I agree with all of this.  I always thought when it went back into the vocals it just falls a bit flat, like something else was suppose to be there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: October 27, 2017, 07:08:20 AM »

I agree with all of this.  I always thought when it went back into the vocals it just falls a bit flat, like something else was suppose to be there.

Like Blaze?  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1445 on: October 27, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »

Like Blaze?  :lol

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1446 on: October 28, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
Brave New World is a great album but far from the best thing the reunion era has to offer. I think of it more as a great starting point for the band to reestablish themselves. A culmination of the previous ten years of experimentation and (often) misdirection. That being said, there's an energy and sense of triumph that makes it a special album to this day. The classic status is deserved but, like Number of the Beast, it's just the beginning of what they would go on to achieve.

If we're talking vinyl, the first side (Wicker Man/Ghost Of the Navigator/Brave New World) is just as good an album side as anything they did in the 80s. It's an awesome live sequence too (stay tuned for the tour writeup). In fact, I'd say the first 7 songs are top tier Maiden. It's just one killer track after another. The Mercenary and The Fallen Angel have been sort of forgotten compared to the big epics (a trend for modern Maiden) but they're up there with the classic short rockers, especially The Fallen Angel. The album kind of drops off at that point. I can see what they were going for with The Nomad but it doesn't really work for me. The best part is the middle section and learning that they plagiarized it has further ruined the song for me. Out of the Silent Planet is pretty good but a notch below the rest of the album. Thin Line has some interesting moments but, like The Nomad, seems like an unsuccessful experiment. Great vocals from Bruce during the choruses though.

The fact that this album is only my 3rd or 4th favorite reunion album says more about the quality of their recent output than anything else.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1447 on: October 28, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
The nitpicks I'd have to make are so minor, that I'll basically say that, give or take, I agree with you on most anything you wrote.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1448 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
It’s an ok album but I never feel drawn to playing it. The repetitive choruses drag it down, but it’s competing against too much in the back catalogue I’m going to play instead.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1449 on: October 28, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
I've always enjoyed the last two songs on the album. It's true that those songs sound a bit like they were experimenting, but when this band steps out of their comfort zone and executes that experiment well then I always like those songs. That being said, other than the intro, Dream of Mirrors is by far the best song on the album.

As far as the rest of the album goes, Wicker Man (despite it being a JP ripoff) is an awesome opener, and there are no complete clunkers. There's a few that I haven't heard in many years, and don't feel the need to return to very often, but everything is performed very well.

On a side note, this is the best guitar sound since PowerSlave. The guitars are very raw, up front and have the perfect level of distortion. That's something that the band lost touch with beginning with Somewhere in Time, and failed to recapture until this point. I have to imagine that it was a point of focus for them when entering the studio.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1450 on: October 28, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »
I've always enjoyed the last two songs on the album. It's true that those songs sound a bit like they were experimenting, but when this band steps out of their comfort zone and executes that experiment well then I always like those songs. That being said, other than the intro, Dream of Mirrors is by far the best song on the album.

As far as the rest of the album goes, Wicker Man (despite it being a JP ripoff) is an awesome opener, and there are no complete clunkers. There's a few that I haven't heard in many years, and don't feel the need to return to very often, but everything is performed very well.

On a side note, this is the best guitar sound since PowerSlave. The guitars are very raw, up front and have the perfect level of distortion. That's something that the band lost touch with beginning with Somewhere in Time, and failed to recapture until this point. I have to imagine that it was a point of focus for them when entering the studio.

I definitely appreciate them stepping out of their comfort zone both here and on the next album. My opinion on those last two songs has improved over time.

I like the guitar sound on The Final Frontier, especially from Adrian. It's a saving grace of an otherwise bland production.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1451 on: October 28, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
I think his guitar sound on A Matter of life and death is loads better. Compare the Lord of light riff to Starblind riff and it will be clear.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1452 on: October 28, 2017, 08:01:33 PM »
The ending to TTLBLAH is magnificent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1453 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:31 PM »
Yea the song picks up big time toward the end. Honestly it's mostly those annoying vocal harmonies in the verses that put me off from the song.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1454 on: October 29, 2017, 03:59:28 AM »
I just read Bruce's autobiography. Anyone else?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1455 on: October 29, 2017, 04:15:12 AM »
Yea the song picks up big time toward the end. Honestly it's mostly those annoying vocal harmonies in the verses that put me off from the song.
I think the verses are the best thing about it, although I like the soaring vocals on the chorus. The second half drags too much and hardly anything interesting happens.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: October 29, 2017, 04:35:29 AM »
Thin Line is definitely one of Maiden's most underrated tunes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1457 on: October 29, 2017, 06:24:17 AM »
Amazon says my copy is arriving 10/31.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #1458 on: October 29, 2017, 09:05:39 AM »
I was pretty excited to hear what Maiden would do with Dickinson and Smith back in the band, especially after releasing The Chemical Wedding. I read somewhere, maybe even in this forum, that many considered Brave New World as the "Perfect Strangers" of come back albums. Even though I think there is some truth to this I think it was a result of this album being an evolutionary step in their sound more than it being planned. To me this was the best release the band had done since Seventh Son. The only song that repeats the lyrics enough to annoy me is Out of the Silent Planet. In other songs, like Blood Brothers, I find myself following the rhythm section and listening to the music more than the vocals.

I love the sound of this album more so than most others of the reunion era.

When this album came out and the response was positive there was still some question about how successful the band would be and could they do a follow up to match.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1459 on: October 29, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »

Yeah, I just finished it. Great read.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1460 on: October 29, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »

Yeah, I just finished it. Great read.

He's certainly done plenty of cool things!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1461 on: October 30, 2017, 12:46:19 AM »
I expected a bit more piss taking on Rod Smallwood though, the chapter about his bout with cancer is almost hilarious.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: October 30, 2017, 05:49:38 AM »

I just picked mine up, will start reading tonight.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: October 30, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »
I didn't purchase because I had been debating about trying to get to one of his in store appearances but that seems very unlikely as it's happening soon so I am going to just order the book online.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1464 on: October 30, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »
It's not even distributed in Italy so far so I'll just wait.

It's not that I'm not skilled enough in english to read it, I could, but I never really read english books so if I start I'm afraid I'll go down a rabbit hole and want to re-read all my books in original language  ;D like it happened with movies and TV series, once I started to watch them in the original language, there was no turning back.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
You could always go for the audio book. Quite enjoying that version myself. (It's read by Bruce.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1466 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
Sorry for the delay folks. Life has become unbelievably busy and these updates are going to slow a bit. Hopefully this next one will be worth the wait as it covers quite a bit (BNW tour, Bruce solo tour, Eddies Archive, Clive Burr MS)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1467 on: November 01, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
Sorry for the delay folks. Life has become unbelievably busy and these updates are going to slow a bit. Hopefully this next one will be worth the wait as it covers quite a bit (BNW tour, Bruce solo tour, Eddies Archive, Clive Burr MS)

No need to apologize. Each and every post has been a pleasure to read. Take all the time you need!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1468 on: November 04, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
Metal 2000/Brave New World Tour (2000)

If there was anything more heavily anticipated than Brave New World, it was the massive tour to follow. Unusually, the band were hyping up the Brave New World tour before the Ed Huntour had even ended. In interviews they made it clear that Ed Huntour was just a test run and that the next tour would be far more extensive with their biggest stage production ever. Just a couple weeks after the release of Brave New World, Maiden delivered with what was probably their biggest tour since the 80’s. In Europe, it was advertised as the Metal 2000 tour, hence the two names in the title.

The stage featured Maiden’s largest production since the 80’s. There was a large stage show with backdrops for a majority of the songs, pyro, stage props for Sign Of the Cross, and of course, Eddie. For the third time in a row, the Ed Hunter themed Eddie was used as a walk on. The big Eddie was a stunning Wicker Man design that housed Bruce and a variety of “maidens.” One aspect of this and other Maiden stages was that it looked immense in any venue, but they were able to fit it in stadiums and smaller amphitheaters.

As usual, the setlist put heavy emphasis on the latest album. However, this time it was fairly controversial. For hardcore fans who had followed Maiden their entire career, it was expected to hear a lot of new songs. For casual fans who were hoping for a nostalgia act, the amount of new material was a surprise. However, the band were very explicit in interviews that this would not be a nostalgia act and they intended to move forward. It was tradition to include 5 or more new songs and this was not going to change, especially considering how proud the band was of Brave New World. To prove how proud they were, the show opened with the first three songs off the album. Also included were Blood Brothers and Dream of Mirrors, the latter acting as the show’s epic centerpiece. Early on in the tour, they switched back and forth between The Fallen Angel and The Mercenary before eventually settling on The Mercenary. Later on in the tour, the label released Out of the Silent Planet as a single apparently in spite of resistance from the band. Since the song was going to be a single, they decided to add it to the setlist on the South American leg as part of the encore. The Fallen Angel was also brought back, resulting in 8 out of 10 songs from Brave New World being played at these gigs, more songs played than any album since Killers.

That’s not to say the show was without classics. In fact, the Brave New World tour probably had more variety than any tour since. Every studio album was represented except Somewhere In Time and No Prayer For the Dying. Most of the “classics” played were songs that were already played on the Ed Hunter tour. The one addition was actually, surprisingly, a track from the Blaze era: Sign Of the Cross. This was a great addition though and was a treat to hear with Bruce singing. In another controversial move, Maiden opted not to play Run To the Hills on most of the tour, although it was added for the South American leg. Regardless, it was hard to complain about such an expansive varied setlist. To this day, it is probably one of the band’s most well balanced setlists and the new songs are tastefully sprinkled in. 

The tour saw Maiden returning to the large venues after a decade of decline. They kicked off with a run of mostly festivals in Europe with some stadium gigs in between. The band was already fulfilling their promise of returning in full force with this tour by playing to huge crowds in their home continent. Some of these gigs were also broadcast on TV, most notably an excerpt of their performance at the Dynamo Open Air festival in the Netherlands. Unfortunately, the European contained what was probably the largest roadblock of the tour in Germany. At the end of the gig, Janick fell off stage 10ft into the photographer pit.  He was immediately knocked unconscious and received multiple injuries to his head and spine. Janick was told to take a week off which resulted in several shows being cancelled. Fortunately, Janick quickly recovered and the band were able to finish the European run.

After finishing Europe, Maiden returned to North America where they were slowly gaining back their popularity. This was meant to be a grand return to North America, which required an immense touring package. The support on this tour consisted of Queensryche and Halford. The latter is particular interesting because Rob Halford was following a path parallel to Bruce’s. He too had left his main band and had spent a few years floundering in fairly unsuccessful experimental projects before making a return to Metal with Resurrection, probably the 2nd most popular Metal album of 2000. The album was even produced by Roy Z and featured a duet with Bruce Dickinson: The One You Love To Hate. Around this time there was also talk of a project between Bruce, Rob, and Geoff Tate of Queensryche. Unfortunately, it never took off. Still, seeing the three groups sharing the stage (especially Maiden and Halford) helped cement the message that Metal was making a huge comeback.

The tour then made its way to Japan before a second trip to Europe (including a short UK run) to close out the year. After taking a month off for Christmas, the band quickly reconvened for a couple more UK shows and then the South American leg of the tour to coincide with a headline performance at Rock In Rio. As usual, several of these shows were broadcast live. The broadcasts of the Argentina and Chile shows are worth checking out for the extended setlists, unfortunately only Run To the Hills was added to the setlist in Rio.

Argentina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6yO5kMlOM

Chile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1TbLXN4uE

Which brings us to:

Rock In Rio (2001)

The last show of the Brave New World Tour was also the one that the band chose to immortalize the tour on film. This was the band’s second time headlining the legendary Rock In Rio festival, the first time being the largest crowd they ever played to. Since then, new limits were put in place to prevent the venue from overflowing again, so this time the crowd wasn’t quite as large. Despite that, it was still the band’s second largest performance ever and was the perfect way of documenting Maiden’s return.

The performance itself featured a highly energized band that was celebrating the end of a successful tour and were feeding off the large crowd. There were some technical glitches, a P.A. monitor broke down during the set and the cameras sometimes got in the way of the band (mostly Bruce) but none of that comes through in the recording. As expected from a South American crowd, the audience were with the band through every moment.
Rock In Rio was to be the band’s first live video since Raising Hell and their first live album since Live At Donington. Steve Harris was once again the producer and video editor, although that actually wasn’t the original intention. An outside company was hired to edit the video but Steve was unhappy with the early cuts and decided to do it himself anyway. For this reason, the release ended up being delayed until 2002. Steve’s editing choices are fairly controversial, with fast cuts that are sometimes hard to watch. Steve also altered the audio quite a bit. Some vocal sections were added in, most notably parts where Bruce prompts the audience to sing, because the crowd was out of time and out of tune. Because the show was officially broadcast on TV and heavily bootlegged, these edits were obvious to a lot of fans.

In the video, a lot of Bruce’s rants were also edited out, although most of them were left on the CD. Bruce’s rants were also a point of controversy in the early 00s, usually being filled with vulgarities and lacking the substance of his introductions in the 80’s. For that reason, many fans were grateful that Steve cut them from the DVD, while other fans were disappointed that the video was not a complete concert experience.

Rock In Rio was also the band’s first DVD, which meant there would be bonus features. With the format still being pretty new, the special features weren’t quite as expansive as what we’d get later. Still, there’s some interesting stuff. There’s the documentary “A Day In the Life” which follows the band’s activities on the day of the Rio concert, some short clips of what the band members do on their days off, and a photo gallery. It’s no Flight 666, but it’s fun footage, especially getting to see Bruce fence.

Controversy aside, Rock In Rio is highly regarded as one of their greatest live albums and videos and is usually mentioned in the same breath as Live After Death. If Brave New World is a modern classic, Rock In Rio is the modern classic live album. It’s a great entry point for the band and really lays to rest any doubt of the band’s relevance in the 21st century. It’s hard to think of a recording that better captures the band’s spirit.

Best of Bruce Dickinson (2001)

While the rest of the band took the rest of the year off, Bruce went back to focusing on his solo career as his label prepared to release a new compilation to ride the Maiden hype. Bruce went into the studio with Roy Z to record two brand new songs for the compilation: Broken and Silver Wings. These two songs only feature Bruce, Roy Z, and Dickie Fliszar on drums (from the Tattooed Millionaire touring band and Tears of a Dragon).These songs are somewhat demo quality, although Silver Wings in particular is highly regarded among fans.

To those who are unaware of this compilation, it may come as a surprise to learn that I definitely consider this required extra curricular listening. For those who are unfamiliar with Bruce’s solo work, this is a pretty good introduction to a fairly eclectic discography. Accident of Birth is probably still the best place to start, but if you’re into compilations this one is very well done. For those who have already heard all the albums, there are more than a few rarities that make this set worth it. Of course there are the songs that were written specifically for the compilation, but there are some other songs that are also available on the expanded editions of the solo albums. The original Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter, which is on the 2CD version of Tattooed Millionaire but not the other remaster, the Man Of Sorrows demo with Janick on guitar, and the first song Bruce recorded: an odd tune called Dracula (Bruce talks about it in his book too). There are also some Accident of Birth outtakes: Wicker Man (great song that is completely unrelated to the Maiden song), Midnight Jam, and Acoustic Song. There’s also one of the few live performances of Jerusalem which was left off Scream For Me Brazil. Other songs are available on the remastered editions of the albums, but may be of interest to anyone who doesn’t have those. Finally, there’s a 13 minute track of Bruce giving the backstory to everything on CD 2. Some really interesting insights on there.

Clive Burr MS Trust Fund (2002)

Toward the end of 2001, Maiden learned that their former drummer Clive Burr was suffering from multiple sclerosis. The band responded by helping him set up the Clive Aid MS Trust Fund, releasing two singles for charity (two different renditions of Run To the Hills), and performing some UK charity gigs in early 2002. The band were technically still on hiatus at this point, so these were the only concerts performed that year and are pretty much an extension of the Brave New World tour. The stage show was the same and the setlist was mostly the same, except for one surprise. For the first time since 1986, the band performed Children of the Damned. At the end of each show, Clive was brought on stage in a mini reunion with the other members.

As if anyone needed more footage of Brave New World era Maiden, one of the shows was filmed for a live webcast (Maiden could be pretty forward thinking with this stuff). It’s worth watching for a rare rendition of Children of the Damned and the tribute to Clive at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWLqZODdyL4

Maiden continued to help Clive and run the charity over the next few years. He also made an appearance at one of their gigs in 2005. Sadly, he passed away in 2013 at age 56 after continuing to suffer from the disease.

Going to save Eddie’s Archive for later cause there’s a lot here already.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Brave New World Tour/Rock In Rio (2000-01)
« Reply #1469 on: November 05, 2017, 03:23:47 AM »
As always, a great read!!! I was there to see Maiden on the show released under the name of Rock in Rio, and to this day it's one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Halford opened for them, and Sepultura played just before him. One curiosity was that Queens of the Stone Age played early in the evening, their bass player came for the encore completely naked and was arrested because of that. One of the things that Bruce said which was cut off from the final release was that "our shows are 100% live, we're not fcuking Britney Spears" - she "played" on the festival on another date, and it was clear she used playback.

Another thing worth mentioning is that during Sign of the Cross there was a stage prop that failed, and therefore it's not shown on the DVD. I think Bruce was supposed to be nailed to a cross which was set on fire, or something like that...did anyone see this work on that tour?

Other artists on the same festival (who played on other nights) were: Sting, Foo Fighters, REM, Beck, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Oasis, Neil Young, Sheryl Crow, Britney Spears, N'Sync and Guns n Roses, who were also making a sort of comeback at the time.

One correction: Maiden didn't headline the first Rock in Rio, they actually opened for Queen.

Bruce's "best of" is indeed amazing... Wicker Man is a nice surprise, and should have made the cut to one of his official releases.