Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185697 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The Chemical Wedding (1998)
« Reply #1330 on: October 09, 2017, 01:33:53 AM »
Speaking of Bruce being so respectful of Maiden during this time, I always wondered if he was having a but of a stab at them in Machine Men with the line 'Iron bites the dust.' Doesnt seem like him though.

Funny thing - in the english language we all shorten Iron Maiden to Maiden, but the way the italian language is structured, it comes easier to shorten it to Iron. We italian people often casually talk about the band as "Iron", so in the italian language that line stands out even more.

But of course, in the same song he says "Iron in the soul" so it was a sign of the reunion to come  :D

About the album - of course it's a damn masterpiece, his best solo album, that eclipses even some of the Maiden albums, and one of the best heavy metal albums in general.

I remember hearing it, I wasn't even prepared for it! at first maybe I almost didn't love it 'cause I just wasn't ready for such an heavy, dark and uncompromising effort.

All the songs are wonderful and memorable, the heavy tracks are, well, heavy (detuning done right and not for the sake of being heavy and noisy) and the mellower pieces are otherwordly in their beauty. To have on the same album stuff like King in Crimson and Jerusalem and make them feel part of a cohesive piece of work is gorgeous. Everything works on this album, if I really have to choose a lesser track, it might be Killing Floor, but even that is good. And the lyrics are top notch.

Allow me to quote, about the magnificent closer, The Alchemist, this interview from back in the day:

Terrorizer: The lyrics on your past two albums seem less personal than those on 'Balls to Picasso' and 'Skunkworks'. More like stories.

Bruce: I don't think that when you make lytrics into stories you necessarily make them less personal. In many ways the lyrics on 'Chemical Wedding', while they're not obviously personal, still have a very personal element to them. 'The Alchemist', for example, is about the physical process of alchemy, but where I associated with it was when I started thinking about Blake in the chorus and put words into the mouth of the alchemist. I tried to think of him more as an artist than some miserable old chemist. This idea that he had this single-minded devotion to something and that he actually didn't care about the rotten world that he lived in. The whole point of the songs is that he's throwing everything back in the face of the world. He's got his experiments, he's got his quest, he's got this devotion to light and the truth, and whenever people try and do shitty things to him, he's just like, 'Oh, you're so small and what I'm trying to do is so big. You don't even know it and I don't even care!' I just love that attitude because it's so strong.

Awesome attitude from Bruce, I didn't quote further but he agreed with the interviewer that this kind of attitude is also his own.

Speaking about The Alchemist - the climax of the song was meant to be a standalone piece, but Bruce felt it was too good to be just a closing piece to a song, and so he turned it into the title track.

A personal, sad story about the record - 1998 was a time in which the internet was not so spread yet, and therefore I didn't have a proper and full internet access. So, sadly, I missed news of both the concert, and of a signing session at a store - I went there the day later and the owner gave this sad boy that missed his hero a leftover posted signed by Bruce, it was the album cover and I still have it in my room to this day. I don't consider however to really have Bruce's autograph - sure, his sign is on the poster, but I wasn't there when he was signing it so it's not the complete experience. Still, it's a memento of how it's good to have the internet  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1331 on: October 09, 2017, 02:11:48 AM »
This is such a remarkable album. Bruce not only justified his decision to pursue solo career, but also recorded one of the best metal albums of all time. It's just as excellent as the classic Maiden records. The Tower, Book of Thel, Gates of Urizen, King in Crimson, Chemical wedding, The Alchemist... Just fantastic songs all around.

It's also smart that he decided to reunite with Maiden after this release - this would be a hard album to surpass.

Offline Art

« Reply #1332 on: October 09, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
TCW is simply a top 3 metal album of all times, IMHO. Perfect.

And i was present at the Sao Paulo Show recorded for SCFMB.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1333 on: October 09, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »
Revisited this album recently and it's really great. I think Jerusalem and Book of Thel stand on their own level, but then you add songs like The Tower, Killing Floor, Trumpets of Jericho & The Alchemist and you get a damn fine album. I have a hard time picking a favorite Bruce album, but Chemical Wedding is a strong contender and one of the 3 albums of his I would consider just slightly above the rest. (The other 2 being Skunkworks and Tyranny of Souls, but Accident of Birth is great too ofc)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1334 on: October 09, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »
Great album and probably my favorite solo record.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1335 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
I still remember getting this record in 1998, maybe early 1999?  I was in college and went to the small record shop on campus.  I was just at the beginning stage of my Maiden worship - just getting into them and starting to buy all of their records.  So I see this album at the store and realize that it's THE Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden.  I had never heard one note of his solo albums, but the cover art looked cool and thought I'd give it a try.

I was completely blown away by how heavy the album was, especially compared to Maiden.  I've actually never cared to go back to Bruce's pre-AOB records because the following albums have been so awesome and so heavy.  I go back and forth between AOB and this album as my favorite.  TCW is definitely the better album, but I love the light-hearted feel of AOB at times compared to the dark feel of this one.

Sadly, the record store where I bought this album closed a number of years ago, directly as a result of music piracy.  College kids have no interest in buying physical albums and the store's prices were rather high ($15+ per cd, if I remember right), so they had no choice but to close as a result of slower and slower sales through the late 2000's.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1336 on: October 09, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
I love this album.

Book of Thel used to be my ringtone.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1337 on: October 09, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »
Sadly, the record store where I bought this album closed a number of years ago, directly as a result of music piracy.  College kids have no interest in buying physical albums and the store's prices were rather high ($15+ per cd, if I remember right), so they had no choice but to close as a result of slower and slower sales through the late 2000's.

That's a pity.

Earlier I talked about me going to the music store a day too late to find Bruce's signing session - that store too has closed, by now there's a bar inside, and that store is tied to my biggest musical surprise ever.

The lack of internet was a downside when I didn't learn in time of Bruce coming, but a year later prevented me from learning any kind of information whatsoever about the then new Dream Theater album, so I went to the store knowing only that a new DT album was to be released on that day, and nothing  else at all.

A year later since 1998 it was 1999 - I'll let you figure out the rest, and my reaction in the shop  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1338 on: October 09, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
that fucking Book of Thel riff!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1339 on: October 09, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
I gravitate to Accident of Birth, myself, but the differences are minimal.  These are two AMAZING records, and I revisted both in the last week, and both blew me away like they did when I first heard them.  It was around this time that I began calling Bruce the "Greatest Heavy Metal Frontman Ever" and these albums are a part of that.   Creative, cohesive, yet timeless and energetic.   Amazing stuff. 

Offline Art

« Reply #1340 on: October 09, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
Vocally, i think this is Bruce's best performance. Outstanding.

And he absolutely NAILED it live  :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1341 on: October 09, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
I gravitate to Accident of Birth, myself, but the differences are minimal.  These are two AMAZING records, and I revisted both in the last week, and both blew me away like they did when I first heard them.   

Same here. But back to back, these are legendary achievements.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1342 on: October 09, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
heavy metal perfection!

Best album ever!!

This is The Greatest Pure Metal album of all time, my friends!

The Book of Thel has one of the greatest riffs of all time, as well!

There are simply zero flaws on this record. The band is hitting on all cylinders, and this is Bruce's most perfect performance in a mostly incredible career. In fact, as much of an Iron Maiden fan that I am, I would go so far as to say that this album eclipses anything that they ever put out (as an entire album). It's so unfortunate that there isn't proper live footage to go along with Scream for me Brazil. That's the only thing lacking in an otherwise incredible time for this band.

I have to admit, since this discography thread began I've been waiting for this entry more than any other.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: October 09, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
This is a top 5 all time album for me.  While I love Iron Maiden more, IM don't have a whole album that is as good as this IMO.  Just a masterpiece.  Also, the b-sides, Return of the King maybe one of my favorite Bruce songs.  Real World is also awesome.  I'd put Killing Floor as my least favorite track.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: October 09, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
When this album was reissued a few years back, it definitely got even better with the bonus tracks. Real World is awesome!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1345 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:18 AM »
When this album was reissued a few years back, it definitely got even better with the bonus tracks. Real World is awesome!

True, but my preference goes to Return of the King, the song itself wouldn't have been out of place on the album.

Confeos is just silly instead  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1346 on: October 10, 2017, 01:36:18 AM »
This is a top 5 all time album for me.  While I love Iron Maiden more, IM don't have a whole album that is as good as this IMO.  Just a masterpiece.

I also lean toward AOB but they really are both exceptional records. Steve Harris must have done some very serious thinking on the back of these two...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:32 AM »

True, but my preference goes to Return of the King, the song itself wouldn't have been out of place on the album.

Return of the King is definitely as good as anything else on the album, and for me, I feel it's pretty much part of the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1348 on: October 10, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
This is probably the best metal album out there, imo. It's just perfection.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1349 on: October 10, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
Just piling on with the compliments for The Chemical Wedding. One of the best metal records of all time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1350 on: October 10, 2017, 06:15:46 PM »
The Chemical Wedding is far and away the greatest thing anyone involved in Iron Maiden ever released, even over the classic Maiden albums themselves. It's a masterpiece in the heavy metal genre. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: October 10, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
It's kind of amazing how much everyone here agrees on this album.  There isn't usually so much positive agreement on this forum.

Return of the King is definitely as good as anything else on the album, and for me, I feel it's pretty much part of the album.

Yea, it's part of my album on my phone so I always consider the three bonus songs part of the album since I never heard the album without them and they are just solid tracks.  Return of the King makes the album so much better IMO, it's just a really strong song.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1352 on: October 11, 2017, 02:18:33 AM »
I love this album and it's definitely a highlight of his career as a solo artist.

I can only echo the universal praise for this album, the only "negative" thing I can think of and this might surprise some but I actually feel that the music is sometimes too heavy to suite his voice. King Crimson for example is a great song but I do feel during the verse that a more raspy voice would have suited better, the chorus works better though. However it's such a small complaint and overall his vocals are awesome on the album.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
It's kind of amazing how much everyone here agrees on this album.  There isn't usually so much positive agreement on this forum.

I was pretty much going to post the exact same thing.

I love this album and it's definitely a highlight of his career as a solo artist.

I can only echo the universal praise for this album, the only "negative" thing I can think of and this might surprise some but I actually feel that the music is sometimes too heavy to suite his voice. King Crimson for example is a great song but I do feel during the verse that a more raspy voice would have suited better, the chorus works better though. However it's such a small complaint and overall his vocals are awesome on the album.

I have kind of thought this before too, so I can understand where you are coming from.  Although, I would really only think this might be more of a problem if it were anyone else but Bruce.  The guy could sing the nutritional information from a can of cat food and I'd buy it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: October 11, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »

And why I give the slightest of edges to the Accident of Birth record.  I'm not really into the "seventh string as bass string, make it as sludge-y as is humanly possible" school of metal.    Jimmy Fucking Page and Ritchie Goddamn Blackmore didn't need a seventh string, and neither do you. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »
As an aside, I got a text last night from my daughter - she's 16 and at school - that said something to the effect of "Hey, I'm listening to Iron Maiden.  I want to listen to "Number of the Beast" but I think it will scare my roommate".

I wept.   My work here is complete.   

Offline DTA

« Reply #1356 on: October 11, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »
My friend let me pillage his music collection many years ago and it turns out he gave me The Chemical Wedding and I've never listened to it. I put it on my phone and listened through once at the gym and I'm pretty damn impressed. It's a really solid album with some great melodies and I like the songwriting quite a bit. I'm really anxious to listen to it more! I also have Tyranny of Souls and Accident of Birth so I'm going to dig into them once I burn out on TCW.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1357 on: October 12, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »

And why I give the slightest of edges to the Accident of Birth record.  I'm not really into the "seventh string as bass string, make it as sludge-y as is humanly possible" school of metal.    Jimmy Fucking Page and Ritchie Goddamn Blackmore didn't need a seventh string, and neither do you.

I'm almost certain (but not entirely) that they still used 6 strings with alternate tunings. And that's something that Mr. Page certainly did do a few times. In fact, Celebration Day is tuned down so far that the string sounds like it's ready to flop out of it's slot in the nut in the studio version.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1358 on: October 12, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
Yea I’m not really seeing your point Stadler. No seven strings on the album and Chemical Wedding has about the same amount of downtuned songs as Accident of Birth.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1359 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
flop out of it's slot in the nut

not sure why, just felt the urge to quote this
Winger would be better!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1360 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
flop out of it's slot in the nut

not sure why, just felt the urge to quote this

Sounds paiful, doesn't it?    :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1361 on: October 13, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
sounds like it's describing a birth control technique
Winger would be better!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1362 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
Sounds like he's got a short one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: October 13, 2017, 12:18:23 PM »
Yea I’m not really seeing your point Stadler. No seven strings on the album and Chemical Wedding has about the same amount of downtuned songs as Accident of Birth.

It was more euphemism/hyperbole than anything else.   I get it, I really do.  I'm a massive Jimmy Page fan, and while it's exasperating to try to figure out a song and find that Jimmy tuned one string up a step and a half (or down), it adds a nice color (and Keith Richards is worse).   What I meant was to poke fun on the idea of "heavier", by using bass strings on the guitar and adding a seventh string.   I read in the write that they "began to use bass strings on their guitars (similar to Petrucci’s baritone guitars)" and made the wrong assumption that they used seven strings.  I know they used bass strings (it's in the CW booklet), and I know what a baritone guitar is; I mistakenly saw "Petrucci guitar" and jumped to seven strings.   I was just trying to say that for me, a good song is a good song, and that "heavier" isn't, in and of itself, necessarily "better".  I think the "seven strings" is a little Spinal Tap for me.     

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1364 on: October 13, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
I think The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are both incredible. I give the edge to Chemical Wedding, not because it's heavier, but there's just something about it. It has this vibe that's there throughout the whole album and just makes it feel like this really cohesive piece of work.

I don't at all think that the music is too heavy for his voice - I think his vocals are perfect for it. But that's down to personal preference.