Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 184503 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The X Factour (1995 - 1996)
« Reply #1225 on: September 01, 2017, 12:44:01 AM »
Maybe tuning down would've been an admission of defeat or something. Maybe it just never occurred to him. And yea Blaze probably wasn't going to come in as a new guy and demand they alter the songs.
It probably comes down to these two reasons.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The X Factour (1995 - 1996)
« Reply #1226 on: September 03, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »
Before we move on to Accident of Birth, let's catch up on what Adrian was doing throughout the 90s. It’s easy to think that Adrian left Maiden to pursue a solo career but that’s actually not the case at all. Adrian didn’t just leave Maiden, he left the music industry altogether. Instead, he got married and began to start a family. He even put the guitar away during this time.

The beginning of his return to music actually came in 1992 when he joined Maiden on stage at Donington, as previously discussed. Around the same time, he was inspired by hearing a new band: King’s X. Shortly after, Adrian Smith happened to meet Jamie Stewart of The Cult and formed The Untouchables (Another member of the band worth mentioning is Fabio Del Rio, who played on Tattooed Millionaire). The idea was to play in a band similar to King’s X, but neither musician intended to formally return to the music business. They would play clubs around England but no more than that.

Obviously things turned out differently. The lineup went through some changes (Jamie was no longer involved) and eventually The Untouchables became Psycho Motel and the new band made two albums:

State Of Mind (1995)

Hans-Olav Solli - Vocals
Adrian Smith - Guitar
Gary Leideman - Bass
Mike Sturgis - Drums

To complete the lineup, Adrian brought in Norwegian vocalist Solli who had earned a reputation working in a project with Scott Gorham. You can definitely hear the King’s X influence in this album. Lots of traditional Hard Rock with some prog rock twists such as odd time signatures. There are heavy moments but it’s mostly blues based Hendrix styled riffing. The production is very rough, almost demo quality.

The album didn’t really do much, but it did get Maiden’s attention and Psycho Motel were invited to open for Maiden at a gig in England during The X Factour.

Welcome To the World (1997)

Andy Makin - Vocals
Adrian Smith - Guitar
Gary Leideman - Bass
Mike Sturgis - Drums

After the tour for State of Mind, Solli departed the band. Adrian decided to go for someone younger who was influenced by the popular rock bands of the time such as Pearl Jam. The result was a heavier and more modern sounding album. The production also improved quite a bit. While neither albums seem to resonate much with Maiden fans, Welcome To the World seems to be the more popular of the two.

The album also featured a guest appearance from Adrian's old bandmate: Dave Murray! Dave performed a guitar solo on the song With You Again. It was the first time the two appeared on a studio recording together since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Both albums were re-released years later but quickly went out of print and are pretty rare. Both albums seem to achieve what Bruce Dickinson was going for with Skunkworks. They don’t feel like Adrian Smith solo projects at all, just a band he’s involved with. As mentioned earlier, neither albums are considered essential by Maiden fans but they might be of interest to those who like Adrian’s playing/writing or are just curious about what he does outside Maiden.

Adrian did not intend to just make two albums in Psycho Motel. He seemed to have a good time with them and was excited to be making music again. However, his plans were put to a quick halt when he received a call from Bruce Dickinson shortly after finishing Welcome To the World...

Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth (1997)

(US Cover)

(2005 Expanded Edition Covers)

Bruce Dickinson - Vocals
Adrian Smith - Guitar
Roy Z - Guitar/Keyboards
Eddie Casillas - Bass
David Ingraham - Drums

Bruce intended to make a second album with Skunkworks, but it became evident early on that there were unresolvable musical differences. According to Bruce, Alex Dickson was going for a more Alternative direction in the vein of REM or recent David Bowie, Bruce, on the other hand, wanted something Heavier. The band agreed that to go in any one direction wouldn’t work if there were two conflicting ideas, and with that Skunkworks was disbanded. Since it was a mutual agreement, the split was on good terms. There was even a short reunion, but we’ll get to that later.

Bruce then went through a period of uncertainty with what to do next. His first solo attempts were commercial disappointments and Bruce was beginning to feel defeated. He decided to give Roy Z a call and, after hearing Roy Z play the riff for what would eventually become Accident Of Birth over the phone, all doubts were put to rest. Bruce decided that the next album would be an all out traditional Metal album. It wouldn’t be a different take on Metal the way Balls to Picasso was, it’d be a “balls out Metal record” in the style Bruce was known for. 

Accident Of Birth was exactly the kind of album Bruce tried to avoid making when he left Maiden. As mentioned earlier, he felt that the traits he helped popularize in Maiden had become cliche by the 90s and wanted to avoid creating a parody. Needless to say, Bruce was reluctant to return to Metal, but he was so impressed with what Roy Z presented to him that he knew it was the best direction to go in. The time seemed right and, with Roy Z as a main writer and the producer, things were working in the album’s favor. History seemed to be repeating itself. When Bruce worked with Roy Z the first time, he had just spent almost two years in uncertainty over what to do with his solo career. When Roy got involved, things happened very quickly. The same events took place with Accident of Birth. Once Bruce and Roy Z began working together, the music started coming extremely quick. Before long, there was an entire album’s worth of songs written.

The backing band for the album was naturally going to be Tribe of Gypsies again, however this time they weren’t credited as such. The music was also not in the Tribe’s Latin Metal style. While some elements of Latin music sneak in at various moments, mostly in some of the acoustic work and Roy Z’s guitar solos, it doesn’t have the same feel or groove as Balls to Picasso. Metal “cliches” such as twin guitar harmonies and the Maiden gallop are abundant and unapologetic on Balls to Picasso. Bruce wanted the album to be relentlessly heavy but also very musical.

To complete the album lineup, Bruce felt it was appropriate to call up Adrian and invite him to make a guest appearance. Adrian had a very recognizable guitar sound that would further drive the Maiden-ness of it all, but Bruce thought this was right as he wanted the album to sound as good as Maiden’s best work. Adrian and Bruce also had an effective writing team in Maiden which was put to good use on Accident of Birth. The duo wrote three songs together for the album: Road To Hell, Welcome To the Pit, and Ghost of Cain (a song that was left off the original UK version but included on the US and Japanese releases). Road To Hell especially showed that the two could still deliver the goods. The song had a classic 80’s Maiden feel with a catchy anthemic chorus, twin guitar harmonies, and an instrumental break that was very similar to The Prisoner. The other two songs were still unmistakably Smith/Dickinson, but a bit more modernized. Adrian seemed to be bringing in some influence from what he was doing at the time with Psycho Motel.

Initially, Adrian was only brought on as a guest. He’d write some songs and add some parts where a second guitarist was necessary. However, Adrian ended up playing on most of the album and even joined the band for the following tour. His plans with Psycho Motel were going to be put on hold as he was now a full member of Bruce’s solo band. Adrian’s presence was also great PR for the album and he was heavily involved with the promotion for the album. He would appear in interviews alongside Bruce and was even included in some of the photoshoots while the rest of the band worked more behind the scenes.

While Adrian’s involvement was naturally what drew most fans to the project, Accident Of Birth is very much the vision of Bruce and Roy Z. Roy Z was the producer and wrote most of the songs with Bruce. Roy Z had a much more modern playing and producing style, he also incorporated alternate tunings into his music. Songs such as the title track and Freak were far heavier than anything Bruce had done before, even with Maiden.

While Accident Of Birth isn’t a concept album, several of the songs are thematically related. Since Bruce was making a traditional Metal album, it made sense to go back to familiar topics. One such was a favorite subject of Bruce’s during the 80’s: Aleister Crowley. Man Of Sorrows and The Magician were both based around his character and life. This was a twist on songs like Moonchild and Revelations which were less about the man himself and more inspired by his works. According to Bruce, Toltec 7 Arrival, Starchildren, Omega, and Arc Of Space are all connected and deal with an apocalyptic future. While not technically part of the aforementioned sequence, The Darkside of Aquarius also has an apocalyptic theme and includes the Four Horsemen of Death, as well as Nostradamus and Marvel Comics’ Silver Surfer. The allegory that Bruce spoke not so fondly of a few years later was back in full force on this album.

The title track supposedly has a double meaning. Bruce describes it as being about the family from Hell, with one member of the family accidentally being born. However, I’ve also heard that the title is autobiographical, referring to Bruce’s mother telling him around this time that he was the result of a botched abortion. I’ve never come across this story coming directly from Bruce, although I suppose we’ll probably get confirmation of that in his upcoming book.

Again similar to Balls to Picasso, the only song on the album to be credited solely to Bruce is also the song with the longest history: Man of Sorrows. The song actually dates back to the Tattooed Millionaire sessions. Bruce had been involved with a film called The Chemical Wedding and wrote the song for its soundtrack. As previously mentioned, the song is about Aleister Crowley, although it is also partly autobiographical. Like most film scripts, The Chemical Wedding wasn’t picked up and the project was quickly abandoned (although it was eventually made years later). Bruce held on to the song and finally recorded it for Accident of Birth. As expected, it’s very unlike the rest of the album, but works well as a break between all the heavy songs. The original version of the song with Janick Gers on guitar was eventually released in 2002 on The Best of Bruce Dickinson.

To further push the album’s Maiden connection, Derek Riggs was enlisted to create the artwork. Of course Derek couldn’t use Eddie, so he created a new mascot for Bruce to use. The hand puppet he created was named Edison and the album cover showcased Riggs’ classic comic book style that had been absent from Maiden’s last release. However, similar to Maiden’s latest album, the violent cover had to be altered for some markets. The original cover depicted Edison bursting out of a stomach, but the US version of the album was simply a portrait of the puppet. The 2005 2CD edition also features different artwork: a sleeve with a crucified Edison (originally the single artwork for Man of Sorrows) and the actual booklet cover with the full version of the original artwork.

While the album still wasn’t a commercial hit, it performed better than Bruce’s last couple efforts and brought a lot of Maiden fans back in the fold. The timing was perfect, Maiden had finally released their first album without Bruce and seemed to be taking a different direction. With Accident of Birth, Bruce was returning to the classic Metal style that Maiden fans were craving. The album was a hit with fans and was widely considered to be better than anything Maiden had done during the decade. Many fans, myself included, consider it just as essential as the classic run of Maiden albums.

Unlike Balls to Picasso, Bruce got to take the band on tour this time. Bruce was playing similar markets to Maiden, performing limited tours in small venues in the US but performing to larger audiences in South America. The typical setlist featured 6 songs from Accident of Birth (the old Maiden standard), a small selection of other songs spanning his solo career, and, in a bold move, some Maiden songs. Bruce was easing Maiden material back into the set on the Skunkworks tour, but with Accident of Birth he went all out including 4 Maiden songs. They were good picks too. Powerslave hadn’t been performed since 1985, Flight of Icarus hadn’t been performed since 1986, and Run To the Hills wasn’t being performed by the current incarnation of Maiden. The only song that both artists were performing was 2 Minutes to Midnight, which was a song Bruce and Adrian wrote. The sound of the new album, the presence of Adrian, and the inclusion of Maiden songs in the setlist was sending a clear message to the fanbase. Bruce was back and he was now in direct competition with his former band.

Unfortunately, Accident Of Birth is the first Dickinson album not to have an official live release associated with it. However there is some great footage out there. Similar to Maiden, Bruce was doing extremely well in South America and many of his gigs there were televised. There are two on YouTube. One recorded in Chile is just an excerpt, however it’s worth watching for the energetic performance. His performance in Brazil is just as good and the broadcast is complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLj6i7zq5RM&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeCqSmEjVaU&
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:00:38 PM by Mosh »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Accident of Birth (1997)
« Reply #1227 on: September 04, 2017, 02:19:31 AM »
Now THIS is a great album. Bruce knocked it out of the park and Adrian's contribution is wonderful as well. Darkside of Aquarius, Freak, Road to hell, Omega and Arc of space are my favorites.

I haven't heard all of the Psycho Motel stuff, only several tracks. Interesting to know they opened once for Maiden during the The X Factour, that seems like a sweet show for all that attended.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1228 on: September 04, 2017, 07:01:59 AM »
I must say, despite I loved Bruce's returning to Maiden and the fact that I like a lot Maiden's outputs since then, I REALLY miss this phase of Bruce's career and the fact that this Tribe of Gypsies + Adrian line-up hasn't continued to make more albums. IMO nothing Maiden released after Chemical Wedding is as good as those records and this only says how much I think those albums are TOTALLY AWESOME!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1229 on: September 04, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
I have both Psycho Motel albums, and the second one is really a step up in terms of production and songwriting. It's like a version of Alice in Chains with better musicians.

Bruce's solo albums at this stage were in direct competition with Maiden, and to this day I regret the fact that I couldn't go see the show that would become Scream for Me Brazil - I'd had tonsillitis a few days before the show, and was still too tired to go.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1230 on: September 04, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
Accident is the 2nd best metal album of the decade(90's) in my opinion. Number 1 will be his next release. As big of a fan of this era of Dream Theater that I am, the two Bruce Dickinson albums prior to his rejoining IM are what define this time in my mind. They have the very best qualities that are contrary to what was being pushed by the music industry of the time.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1231 on: September 04, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
Love Accident; really like the second Psycho Motel release.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1232 on: September 04, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
I'll just go ahead and say it; as much as I love Iron Maiden, the band has only made one or two albums that ever topped Accident of Birth imo. Bruce, Roy and Adrian knocked it out of the ballpark with that album. And Maiden has never topped what Bruce and Co. would come up with next...
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1233 on: September 04, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
This is a great album and I always get alot of flashbacks from my youth when listening to this. I was 15 when this came out and I was deep into discovering Maiden and metal but this was a side of Bruce i've never heard before. I think the riffing is what I love most about this album that's until, I heard the follow up....  :biggrin:

Btw at 15 that album cover was the most bad-ass thing ever, I used to have a poster of the full album cover.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:56:20 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1234 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
I came across the title track to Accident of Birth on a record company sampler cassete tape - my local stores would have free tapes by the door that record companies would send out to promote upcoming releases.  I remember listening to it all the time.  I loved the chugging riff and vocals, but my Maiden worship wasn't yet there and funds were limited so I didn't get the album until years later when the special edition came out.  I absolutely love it and can't really decide if this one or Bruce's next one is my favorite. 

Uh, and can we also say that Freak is one of the most badass opening songs on any album?   :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are both heavy metal home runs!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1236 on: September 04, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »
I didn't bother with this at the time - I'd moved on from Maiden and Bruce. I borrowed it on cd from the library and thought it was excellent. Not played it in a good while but will do so in the next day or so.

The cover, however, is complete shit in whichever variation you choose.

I quite like the Psych Motel stuff but can't stand Kings X.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1237 on: September 04, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »
I remember seeing Edison in my uncle's room when I was about 5. Pretty creepy...yet intriguing. Later on about 20 years I finally got Accident of Birth because I saw Edison on it. Took me that long to find out Edison was Bruce Dickinson, no one knew what I was talking about when asking.

Its a great album that I may just listen to now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: September 05, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »
This is an absolutely amazing metal album, really brilliant.  The next one though is where it's at for me.

Those PM albums are solid, the second much better than the first.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1239 on: September 05, 2017, 02:29:37 AM »
Uh, and can we also say that Freak is one of the most badass opening songs on any album?   :metal
It's one of those songs that people don't mention too often even though it's not disliked either. I personally think it's brilliant and one of the best songs of Bruce's solo career. That chorus is godly.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: September 05, 2017, 05:56:03 AM »
It's one of those songs that people don't mention too often even though it's not disliked either. I personally think it's brilliant and one of the best songs of Bruce's solo career. That chorus is godly.

Plus it's in drop C which I think is the only Bruce song to feature that tuning.  The 'somersault into the flood' section is one of the clooest moments of Bruce's career too.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1241 on: September 05, 2017, 07:38:02 AM »
Accident of Birth is a fantastic album. I remember reading interviews with Bruce about the Skunkworks fallout, and how he was unsure that people would even want to hear something from him anymore, and then he goes back to Roy Z, brings back Adrian Smith among all, and delivers an album that is "the best Maiden album since Seventh Son" (so I've seen it defined once), and to think that he had even something better in store just a year later!

I have also fond memories of the album, released in the still "pioneristic" era of the early internet: trying to catch Man of Sorrows on the radio, hearing someone playing it at school one afternoon when there was a concert of school bands, using the technological fair held here in Milan to sneak on the internet to download the lyrics... aah, good times :D

The album, needless to say, is gorgeous from beginning of the end. The lows are very moderate and the highs are beyond excellent. Freak maybe is not the best opener ever, but after that oh my, what a string of songs: the crushing Starchildren, the enchanting Taking the Queen, the massive Darkside of Aquarius, hell, as I'm writing I'm realizing I'd have to mention the whole tracklist: Road to Hell, a wonderful anthem, the big power ballad of Man of Sorrows, and the wickedly heavy title track.

Magician and the sleazy Welcome to the Pit are maybe the lesser tracks of the disc, but they're still good. And what a way to close the album: Omega and the acoustic / orchestral Arc of Space, what an emotional way to end up such a fantastic album. And since I've talked about all the tracks, let's just round it up and mention that Ghost of Cain, the bonus track, is quite good as well.

After finding his way through a couple of experimental albums, Bruce returned to do what he did best... and he returned with a bloody and triumphant vengeance. Looking back to this time it's glorious, also because we know can grin knowing, as I said earlier, that this was not even the peak for Bruce.

One of the best metal albums of the '90s, no doubt.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
Listening to this now, it's excellent.

I never became much of a Maiden fan. In the early/mid 90s during HS for me I felt that Maiden was 80s metal cheese.  I was into Megadeth, Metallica, Pink Floyd and of course Nirvana, RHCP and some of the other big names from the early 90s.  By the later half of the 90s I had moved into my punk/ska phase where all I listened to was third wave ska and bands like NOFX/Lagwagon/etc for the punk side.    Sad to say I missed this gem when it came out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1243 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
As I said, I love it, and it holds up over time.

BUT... as a Maiden fan, and someone who was there at the (relative) beginning, I couldn't shake the thought that "if Bruce is back to this kind of metal, his most Maiden-like of any of his solo albums up to that point, and Maiden is struggling with a guy that can't sing half the back catalogue, WTF?  Why don't they just sit in a room, bury the hatchet, and be done with it?  I generally don't say that, but I always thought - with the change in vocal stylings - that Bruce was out because he wasn't into that kind of music anymore.  But he clearly was, so... again, WTF?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1244 on: September 05, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »
Great writeup Mosh.

I did not check out the Psycho Motel albums when they were current, but I checked them out years later, and honestly, they do nothing for me.

Accident Of Birth! :metal

So, even though I wasn't in love with Skunkworks at the time, a new Bruce album was a no brainer. I was shocked to see Adrian in the booklet. What a fantastic album. So full of greatness all the way through.

I was lucky enough to see him on this tour when he came to Providence, in September of 1997. What a fantastic show. It was great to see Adrian again, and Bruce was as active as ever. he really let it hang out and totally worked the stage. What a great band too.
The setlist was:
Accident At Birth
Toltec #7
Starchildren
Two Minutes To Midnight
Darkside Of Aquarius
The Magician
Road To Hell
Tattooed Millionaire
Tears Of the Dragon
Powerslave
Taking The Queen
Flight Of Icarus
Laughing In The Hiding Bush
The Prisoner
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1245 on: September 05, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
Ah, Accident of Birth. The first album by any member of Maiden (including Maiden) that I bought. And it started my worship of Bruce as a frontman. I still consider Accident of Birth/Chemical Wedding/Tyranny of Souls to be among my favorite metal records from anyone. Just great stuff.

Thanks for another great write-up, Mosh. Mine for QR are coming to a rapid end, so I am looking forward to just reading your stuff. Can't wait for the entries for my favorite two post-reunion records - BNW and of course, AMOLAD.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1246 on: September 05, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
Who else thinks that Road to Hell is quite similar to Helloween's I Want Out?

Offline DT89

« Reply #1247 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
AOB is a great album, but The Chemical Wedding is untouchable.  Still haven't gotten around to listening to the Psycho Motel albums.

Here are some guitar tabs I did a couple weeks ago for a few songs on Accident Of Birth:

Freak: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bruce_dickinson/freak_guitar_pro_2105977id_11082017date.htm
Toltec 7 Arrival: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bruce_dickinson/toltec_7_arrival_guitar_pro_2105677id_10082017date.htm
Starchildren: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bruce_dickinson/starchildren_guitar_pro_2106049id_11082017date.htm
Welcome To The Pit: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bruce_dickinson/welcome_to_the_pit_guitar_pro_2111233id_15082017date.htm

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1248 on: September 05, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »
Hey I just downloaded those yesterday! Good work
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1249 on: September 05, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »

Not really.  The intro riff reminds me of I Want Out, but Road to Hell is so much beefier.  The riff after the first chorus ends (1:14 - 1:24) is amazing though.  Such a neck-snapper of a riff.

Favorites are Dark Side of Aquarius (GOTTA MOVE!), Freak, Road to Hell, Accident of Birth and Ghost of Cain (how was this left off of the album?).  I love how this album is so Maidenesque, but still super heavy.  Maiden has never really had those crunchy riffs. 

Offline Art

« Reply #1250 on: September 05, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
AoB is awesome!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline DT89

« Reply #1251 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
Hey I just downloaded those yesterday! Good work
Thanks!  Please rate/comment on them if you have a second, I'd really appreciate it.  I've also done songs from every other Bruce album except Tattooed Millionaire.  Here's a link to all of my transcriptions: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/contribution/1320839-DT89/tabs?sort=artist

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: September 05, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
Another great write up as always Mosh,

I never listened to Psycho Motel, just what I've read about it always gave me the impression I wouldn't be into it and therefore never really gave it a try.  After today's read, I'm not sure I'm convinced to give it a try anymore. 

But AoB, oh man what an album.  Granted, my discovery was way later, but I couldn't believe they Bruce went from his previous solo efforts to this.  Just Astonishing to think he had this metal still in him.  I like his next release better, but that's not a shot at AoB, this album is great and is up there with the best of IM. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1253 on: September 05, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
Speaking of real setlists, here's an imaginary one: AOB is by now 20 years old, so I figured it was time to create a setlist-like compilation to celebrate that album, to listen to when I go to and back from work. I won't "play" it in full and in order, but I came pretty close, and for the first time ever in creating Bruce solo setlists, I decided to try and have some Maiden stuff. That combined with going full with AOB songs left little room for anything else, but I honored all his 6 solo albums.

Here's how it'd go if the world in my mind would be a reality:

Freak
Toltec 7 Arrival
Starchildren
If Eternity Should Fail
Return of the King
Taking the Queen
Darskide of Aquarius
Road to Hell
Tears of the Dragon
Kill Devil Hill
Man of Sorrows
Accident of Birth
Soul Intruders
Innerspace
A Tyranny of Souls
Omega
Powerslave
===============
Arc of Space
Tattoed Millionaire
Bring your Daughter... to the Slaughter

Any wild guess on why, bonus track aside (Return of the King), I didn't include anything off Chemical Wedding?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: September 05, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
Any wild guess on why, bonus track aside (Return of the King), I didn't include anything off Chemical Wedding?  :D

Because you've completely lost your mind?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1255 on: September 05, 2017, 03:51:44 PM »

Because either a) you've gone completely insane or b) there's a secret second show that's the entirety of Chemical Wedding from start-to-finish that you just chose not to mention to keep it a surprise.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1256 on: September 05, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »
I heard AOB for the first time a few weeks before The Final Frontier came out. It was actually the same exact time I heard Virtual XI for the first time, as I saw them both in a record store one day. It didn't really occur to me at the time that they were released just a year apart and I didn't really compare the two, I enjoyed both. But Accident Of Birth was a huge revelation because I was previously only familiar with Bruce's first two albums. I liked both a lot, but Accident was just taking it to a whole new level. I knew these albums were popular among fans, but I definitely wasn't prepared for it to be that incredible.

Accident of Birth is also the start of what I consider to be Bruce's peak as a vocalist. This period through Brave New World represents the best vocals he's ever put on record and his most consistent live performances. Hearing Accident Of Birth, all the growing pains his voice had gone through over the past 7 years suddenly made sense. His voice was now fuller and more powerful. It was operatic but with the grit he had spent most of the decade working on. The change in style has also allowed him to continue at a high level today. I couldn't believe how incredible he sounded on The Book of Souls and at the shows I saw on that tour. His style in the 80s was great but just not sustainable. Many singers don't recognize this until it's too late, Bruce managed to overhaul his technique and style at the perfect time.

As far as where it stacks up with Maiden, I don't know if I'd say it's better than anything Maiden did but it's certainly top 5. I think one of the things that makes it stand out is the fact that for being so closely related to Maiden, you can't mistake it for a Maiden album. On one hand, it says a lot about the importance of Steve Harris and Nicko McBrain, Steve as a writer and the pair as a rhythm section. On the other hand, AoB and Chemical Wedding are able to break some of Maiden's confines, so there's a freshness to those albums that Maiden doesn't have. In some ways it's like Maiden+.

BUT... as a Maiden fan, and someone who was there at the (relative) beginning, I couldn't shake the thought that "if Bruce is back to this kind of metal, his most Maiden-like of any of his solo albums up to that point, and Maiden is struggling with a guy that can't sing half the back catalogue, WTF?  Why don't they just sit in a room, bury the hatchet, and be done with it?  I generally don't say that, but I always thought - with the change in vocal stylings - that Bruce was out because he wasn't into that kind of music anymore.  But he clearly was, so... again, WTF?
I see Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, The X Factor, and Virtual XI as necessary stepping stones for everyone involved. None of those albums (with the possible exception to Virtual XI) could've been made with the current Maiden lineup. Maiden had to do their thing without Bruce and Bruce had to do his thing outside Maiden. Even if Accident of Birth is in the style of Maiden, like I said earlier it's still a significant enough step away from Maiden. When I listen to Brave New World, I hear the influence of those four albums. Bruce himself says that he had to make The Chemical Wedding to be able to make Brave New World. Steve might not say the same thing about his own albums, but it definitely applies to him too.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1257 on: September 05, 2017, 11:06:29 PM »

Yes the main riff/chorus of Road to Hell really sounds like the melody at 3:12 of I Want Out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1258 on: September 06, 2017, 12:10:41 AM »
I've never connected the dots, even though I love both songs to death. Interesting comparison.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: September 06, 2017, 05:44:51 AM »
I've never connected the dots, even though I love both songs to death. Interesting comparison.

Yeah, I never noticed before either, but having a listen to both, yeah I can hear it.  Wouldn't call it similar enough to be a rip off or anything.  Kai has ripped off that section more in his Gamma Ray career.