Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185073 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Skunkworks (1996)
« Reply #1190 on: August 29, 2017, 06:54:19 PM »
Skunkworks was kinda meh for me, but oh boy the next one . . .

Yeah, Virtual XI! :metal

Haha, indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1191 on: August 29, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
The X Factour (1995 - 96)

After being off the road for nearly two years, Maiden were eager to return to the stage. They had a new singer and a new album they were ready to play live. Unfortunately, Maiden’s popularity was declining and they found themselves playing smaller venues in Europe and especially North America. It’s no secret that the two tours with Blaze had problematic moments, but there were some highlights too. Here’s a quick look at how Blaze’s first tour with Maiden panned out.

Of course this tour was higher pressure than usual because they were showing off a new singer. Blaze wasn’t just replacing a singer, he also had to fill Bruce’s role as one of Rock’s greatest frontmen. It’s pretty obvious watching the tour that Blaze was out of his element with Maiden. His stage presence was very stiff compared to Bruce and he didn’t contribute much in the way of stage banter. He was also tasked with singing Bruce’s old vocal parts, which brings us to the show’s setlist.

There was no getting around the material with Bruce and the majority of the setlist was made up of songs that he sang on. Obviously Blaze had a much more limited range and struggled with several of the songs. It didn’t help that the band didn’t adjust the tunings to better accommodate Blaze’s lower voice. However, he did have his good moments. His rendition of Afraid To Shoot Strangers is probably the closest he came to touching one of Bruce’s performances. The song also fit quite well with the darker material from The X Factor. There surprisingly wasn’t much played from the Di’Anno albums. Going back to the early days for songs that better fit Blaze’s voice would’ve made sense, but Maiden didn’t seem very interested in deviating much from the staples of the recent tours. In fact, apart from the new songs, these were all songs that had previously been featured on the Fear Of the Dark and A Real Live tours. They did deviate from the typical ending of Sanctuary/Running Free by closing instead with The Trooper. It was a very interesting choice for set closer and remains a choice unique to the Blaze era.

Probably in acknowledgement of Blaze’s limited vocal abilities, the setlist was very heavy on new material. 7 songs were performed from the X Factor, which is a higher number than usual and much more than the 5 performed from Fear of the Dark. A few of these songs were also on the lengthier side, so they made up a large portion of the set. The X Factour was also the first tour since Beast On the Road where the opening song wasn’t the first song on the album. Ironic since Beast On the Road was Bruce’s first full tour with the band. Unlike Beast On the Road, the album’s opening track was played later in the show. Instead, they opened with Man On the Edge. The other songs played were Lord Of the Flies, Fortunes Of War, Blood On the World’s Hands, and The Aftermath. With the exception of Lord Of the Flies and Man On the Edge, these songs showed the album’s more complex and darker side. Still, the energy of a live performance greatly benefited these songs. Blood On the World’s Hands in particular was a highlight with Steve Harris’ bass intro.

For staging, the band decided it was finally time to begin moving away from the “bare bones” style of the last few tours. The wall of Marshall Amps disappeared and was replaced by a stage setup that was themed after the new album’s cover artwork. The centerpiece was Eddie in an electric chair during Iron Maiden. A big walk on Eddie also appeared earlier in the set. Overall, it was probably the most “classic” stage design of the decade so far, although the production was considerably smaller to accommodate the smaller venus Maiden were playing on this tour.

The X Factour was to continue Maiden’s exploration of new markets and began with a tour of the Middle East and Africa. Maiden kicked off the tour with their very first appearance in Israel, followed by their first performance in Africa. The tour was mostly a success, the band even filmed the video for Man On the Edge in Israel, although unfortunately the last show in South Africa was cancelled due to issues with the local authorities.

The tour hit its low point in the US. By 1996, Maiden’s popularity in the US was at an all time low. They had gone from playing arenas to playing small clubs and theatres. In Colorado, Maiden played Red Rocks on the Fear of the Dark tour and were downgraded to a small theater on The X Factour. A string of dates toward the end of the tour was also cancelled. The official reason is that Blaze had a voice infection, although it’s often speculated that the low ticket sales had a lot to do with it.

It wasn’t all bad, however. Similar to the Fear Of the Dark tour, when Maiden hit South America they once again became superstars. The tour was kicked off with a headlining performance at Rock In Rio Brazil. As usual in South America, the crowd was huge and proved that some parts of the world still supported Maiden. The short South American tour was probably the highlight of the tour and also included their first visit to Chile. It is also here where we find video footage of the tour. Three of the South American performances were broadcasted on TV: Brazil, Chile, and Argentina. The Brazilian show is incomplete but still covers a large portion of the show. The Chile performance is complete and better video quality, but it also features what is probably the most infamous clip from the Blaze years. I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t seen it yet, but make sure you stick around for The Trooper. The Argentina show is pretty low quality, but worth checking out anyway since this era is so undocumented by the band. I also included a clip from the Bulgaria show which is very high quality, but unfortunately incomplete.

Brazil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLW5xZ72hw

Chile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3QkKfV6E8&t=4003s

Argentina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk14RKCC50A

Bulgaria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKPKjHDPOrI

Overall, like most of the Blaze era, the tour was a mixed bag. The tour had some obvious pitfalls and Blaze’s performances were hit and miss, but there were plenty of memorable moments and aspects of the tour that make it worth revisiting years later. For one thing, this was the third tour in a row where the bulk of the new songs were instantly retired afterwards. Most didn’t even make it to the next tour. There was also no lull in the band’s on stage energy. With Bruce gone, Steve took the opportunity to act as a frontman in a similar way to when Paul was in the band. Bruce or no Bruce, it was still Maiden and Maiden still knew how to put on a fantastic live performance.

Best Of the Beast (1996)

Toward the end of The X Factour, Maiden released their first compilation album. Maiden has put out several greatest hits albums since then (there was one every three years from 1996 to 2011), but Best Of the Beast remains the best and probably the only one that is essential unless you’re a hardcore fan or collector. Not only is it a solid retrospective of the band’s history up until this point, it also contains some unreleased material. Two versions of the album were released. The first is a single CD that mostly features the band’s most popular songs, singles, and live favorites. There is also a 2CD version that has the songs resequenced in reverse chronological order with some extras and ending with two cuts from The Soundhouse Tapes, including the previously unreleased Strange World. There is also an LP version that contains the entire Soundhouse Tapes.

What makes this album especially unique is the presence of a new song: Virus. Maiden were never a band with non-album tracks. Aside from b-sides that were never meant for the album anyway, they only recorded enough to fill an album. Every single since Women In Uniform was a cut that appeared on a studio album. Maiden began to buck this tradition with The X Factor when they recorded more music than what would fit on a CD. The tradition was broken again just a year later when Maiden recorded Virus as a one-off, the first time they did such a thing since Women in Uniform. The song was released as a single a few weeks before the album and also became the first Maiden single to never be performed live.

The song itself is a pretty rough recording, even more raw than The X Factor. It has a similar dark tone to The X Factor with a long slow interest before finally kicking off almost 3 minutes in. When the song gets going, it has a high speed feel that’s almost more reminiscent of the next album. Appropriately, Virus seems to be the missing link between the two albums. Lyrically, the song deals with the negative press Maiden were receiving with Blaze and the new album. It's also one of the most unique writing combinations in the band's catalog: Harris/Murray/Gers/Bayley. This is the only time in the band's history that two of the guitarists collaborated directly and the only Maiden song to feature more than 3 songwriters.

For the artwork, the band returned to Derek Riggs for a return to the classic style of Maiden covers. It’s a neat collage of various Eddies over the years with an obvious focus on the 80s. It’s a nice nod to the band’s past and I can’t think of a more appropriate album cover.

Overall, Best Of the Beast is a fun retrospective of the band’s career. It’s a solid selection of songs that naturally focuses on the band’s more accessible side. The 2CD version is best in terms of sequence and song selection, plus the added bonus of the Soundhouse Tapes cuts, but is harder to find. It’s worth picking up for Virus alone if you find it at a used CD store for a good price.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:48:48 PM by Mosh »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The X Factour (1995 - 1996)
« Reply #1192 on: August 29, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
Another awesome post, Mosh. But let me just correct one thing: they played the Brazilian version of the Monsters of Rock festival, not Rock in Rio. I saw the Rio show, which also had Motorhead and Skid Row.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
Best of the Beast was the first Maiden cd I bought and that's what got me into the band.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1194 on: August 29, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
Another awesome post, Mosh. But let me just correct one thing: they played the Brazilian version of the Monsters of Rock festival, not Rock in Rio. I saw the Rio show, which also had Motorhead and Skid Row.
Oops, you're right. I swear I was thinking Monsters of Rock as I typed Rock In Rio.  :mehlin
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1195 on: August 29, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
REALLY REALLY wish I would have saw this one. 

You hinted at IM playing clubs and small theaters in NA.  But I have friends who saw them at the Off Ramp (now El Corazon) in Seattle.   This is a *DIVE*.   It's Seattle's most famous dive, and there is a lot of history in that building.  All four of the Seattle "big 4" got their start there, and the bar scene from the movie Singles was filmed there.   But I'd be shocked if that place could hold 500 people....and if it did they would be packed in lips to asses.   

But thats actually what would have made it cool.  Ive always envisioned IM as the WORLD SLAVERY TOUR band.   But this would have been my one and only opportunity to see what it might have been like to see Maiden in a club in London before they were even signed.   Just that atmosphere alone would have been worth it.    That, along with the fact that I love TXF, and BotWH especially, would have made it magical.   But alas, I was just not into Maiden at this point in time, and wouldn't discover the genius of TXF until much later.   But wow....major missed opportunity.   

When I think back on concerts that I could have actually seen, but missed, this comes up as my #1 missed opportunity. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1196 on: August 30, 2017, 01:14:54 AM »
Brazil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLW5xZ72hw
This is the first time I'm seeing this and I really like it. The bootleg starts with Heaven can wait, which is one of the few Bruce era songs Blaze performed fairly well. He nails the "take my hand" section, the way he changed up the second half sounds great. The rest of the band is top notch as always - it's important to know the rest of the band never lost their step.

Also, Virus is one fine song.  :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1197 on: August 30, 2017, 01:16:15 AM »
As mentioned earlier, I was still too young, shy and inexperienced to go to the show, but at least I attended the free meet n' greet that was held on my birthday and I hold on to the signed autographs with "Happy birthday!" written on it  :metal

Virus is quite a fun song, the video however was kinda meh  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1198 on: August 30, 2017, 01:17:31 AM »
I'm watching more of the Brazil bootleg - holy shit, the TXF songs sound amazing!  :o

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1199 on: August 30, 2017, 03:40:32 AM »
Those clips just make me feel sorry for Blaze. Hallowed wasalways going to be an insurmountable challenge but even Sanctuary was just awful.
Maybe they'd have been better advised to just let the crowd sing the old songs...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1200 on: August 30, 2017, 04:26:17 AM »
Maybe they'd have been better advised to just let the crowd sing the old songs...

They should have downtuned AND picked songs good for Blaze's voice, going back more to the Di'Anno era would have been a ncie treat. But uh well, Steve knows best. (most of the times, that's it)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: August 30, 2017, 05:36:03 AM »
I've always wanted to get a copy of the 2cd BOTB but never been able to find one. I'm sure it would be easy enough to get online somewhere.

Virus is a fantastic song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1202 on: August 30, 2017, 06:12:39 AM »
This was the first tour that I would miss. I haven't gotten into it, but 1995 was also a crazy year for me which carried a little into 1996. I also got divorced during this time period, and it was just a weird time. Maiden's new album, which should have been comforting, just wasn't.

But I had taken some time off and my boss did me a number of favors, but I could NOT get the nights off that they were playing in Boston and Providence. I was so pissed.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1203 on: August 30, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »
I've always wanted to get a copy of the 2cd BOTB but never been able to find one. I'm sure it would be easy enough to get online somewhere.

Virus is a fantastic song.

I finally found it - in okay condition - but it's not easy to find at a reasonable price. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1204 on: August 30, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »
Man those videos were awful. Blaze was just not the right choice for that music.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: August 30, 2017, 08:28:15 AM »
Love Virus.  That's up there with some of the best Blaze songs.  Actually really like the b-sides from TXF as well.  It's a shame those songs didn't make the album because it's pretty good stuff, just didn't fit the album and therefore kind of gets lost in the IM catalogue since b-sides weren't really a thing with IM. 

That Chile performance, that's really unfortunate and kind of shows just how unliked Blaze was overall though.  I liked his music and all, but he just wasn't really good enough to front IM. 

Also, just like the mix of TXF that really didn't help Blaze, the selection of live songs also didn't help him.  It almost seems like Steve just threw him into the fire with some of these decisions. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: August 30, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
But isn't that why Bruce IS the right guy for the job?   Steve decides, and Bruce delivers.   It's really that simple, more often than not. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: August 30, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
But isn't that why Bruce IS the right guy for the job?   Steve decides, and Bruce delivers.   It's really that simple, more often than not.

Of course

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: August 30, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »
I have to wonder whether Steve Harris refusing (presumably) to tune down (as well as asking Blaze to sing songs that were all but impossible for him) was part of hazing Blaze a la Jason Newsted, tied-in with pent up anger at Bruce's temerity to leave the band. Was Blaze someone Steve could manipulate in a way that Bruce would never have allowed?

It does seem like Blaze was almost set-up to fail.

Disclosure: I love the two Maiden albums with Blaze.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1209 on: August 30, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
It's almost like, subconsciously, they chose an expendable singer to make room for Bruce's eventual return. Finding the most amazing singer on the world that fans would have loved and embraced would have made harder a reunion. (Even though one could argue that Ripper was killer with Priest, and 99% of the fans welcomed back gladly Rob Halford anyway)

I know it's not like that, but the thought crossed my mind.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1210 on: August 30, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »
I don't think either of those are true. As great as Steve is, every decision he makes is not necessarily a good one. Steve does not seem the type to undermine anything on purpose, especially Iron Maiden at such a critical time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: August 30, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
I don't think either of those are true. As great as Steve is, every decision he makes is not necessarily a good one. Steve does not seem the type to undermine anything on purpose, especially Iron Maiden at such a critical time.

Why would he undermine the singer process, out of his anger at Bruce for leaving?  If anything, he'd WANT to show Bruce that he's not the cat's meow and Maiden doesn't need him.  If anything, THAT was what was fueling his decisions; "hey Bruce, you fencing little twat, we got a guy. Nameless, faceless and he stepped right the fuck in, played what I told him, in the original keys, and we're bigger than ever.   Go fly a kite plane."  Alas, it didn't work out that way.

I don't want to quibble, but "good one" is subjective here; Maiden is Steve's band.  By that definition, I think every decision IS good.  Maybe not what I want to see, or maybe doesn't work out as he intended, but I don't know that we KNOW what he intended (though the success of the reunion band certainly has given us insight, hasn't it?)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: August 30, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »
I doubt it's the case but psychology, it's one potential angle that would fit. (Not to get at Bruce, but to get out his internal anger and frustration.)

I think I read somewhere once that Rod Smallwood had a lot to do with the appointment of Blaze. Perhaps in the Mick Wall biography. Just an inkling. Could be a false memory.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1213 on: August 30, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
Just chiming in to say I'm seeing Blaze tonight. Good setlist (and includes Virus, since it's a hot topic here). Oughtta be a great show. Looking forward to it.

Also worth pointing out that he's got a MP/RJD level of personability with the fans. Probably more-so, in fact. He does meet and greets after every show, "bring whatever you want, I'll sign it." Seems like a helluva guy.

Saw the X-Factor tour here at a smaller but still decent sized venue. Recall that it was pretty good. His material was fantastic. Unlike Tim, that was the first Maiden show I went to after a long absence. The last couple of albums just didn't do much for me and they tended to stick to Fort Worth rather than Dallas.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:14:00 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: August 30, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
Nice, enjoy the concert tonight.  His tour came to Brooklyn but that's really not easy for me to get to, I would have gone if he played closer or on an easier date for me.  I'd like to support him, I know he needs it and he does seem like a really good guy who does make music I enjoy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: August 30, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
Just chiming in to say I'm seeing Blayze tonight. Good setlist (and includes Virus, since it's a hot topic here). Oughtta be a great show. Looking forward to it.

Also worth pointing out that he's got a MP/RJD level of personability with the fans. Probably more-so, in fact. He does meet and greets after every show, "bring whatever you want, I'll sign it." Seems like a helluva guy.

Saw the X-Factor tour here at a smaller but still decent sized venue. Recall that it was pretty good. His material was fantastic. Unlike Tim, that was the first Maiden show I went to after a long absence. The last couple of albums just didn't do much for me and they tended to stick to Fort Worth rather than Dallas.

What size venue?   That should be a good small club show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1216 on: August 30, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
I've seen him live with his band supporting Helloween in 2001 and the following year at a festival, and as a guest for Doro at Wacken. That show (with the orchestra) was awesome, they started with Fear of the Dark  :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1217 on: August 30, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
What size venue?   That should be a good small club show.
Never been there, but looking at the pictures I'd reckon about 750. So yea, small club show.

I'd like to support him, I know he needs it and he does seem like a really good guy who does make music I enjoy.
Yeah, tickets were only like $10, so I'll certainly buy a shirt from the dude.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1218 on: August 30, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
I was supposed to see Blaze for the fourth time a month ago, but it got cancelled. Blaze is a dear visitor to us, so it's no problem, he'll be back.

The reason why Steve and the guys didn't tune down of pick songs that suite Blaze more could be that Blaze didn't specifically ask for that. He was thrilled enough to be in Maiden and, as a younger fellow who was given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, didn't want to be picky about things. "Sir, yes, sir! I'll sing all of those songs, original key. After all, you made me an Iron Maiden singer!" Since Blaze never addressed the issue, the other guys didn't feel the need to neither.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1219 on: August 30, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
Now you got me wondering who first suggested to tune down half a step Images and Words in the current DT tour.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1220 on: August 30, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »

Even a copy of Brave New World?  :corn

Seriously though enjoy the show and let us know it goes. Been hearing a lot of great feedback on Maidenfans. Hopefully he'll stop in Denver next time around.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1221 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:22 PM »
Now you got me wondering who first suggested to tune down half a step Images and Words in the current DT tour.

I've wondered about that too.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1222 on: August 30, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »
Best of the Beast was the first Maiden cd I bought and that's what got me into the band.

Best of the Beast was my first Maiden CD as well.  Fear of the Dark was my introduction to the band, but I lived off of that one mix tape until I got this greatest hits package.  I have no idea why I bought it - maybe I wanted to get more into the band, maybe I heard a song somehwere.  I don't remember.  But I do remember the live version of Fear of the Dark giving me goosebumps when I heard the crowd sing the melody - I'd never heard something like that before.  Aces High also kicked my ass, and still does to this day.

Never saw the X Factour, but I've seen that clip of the Chile show so many times.  I couldn't imagine spitting on a musician.  I've seen a lot of concerts where I didn't like one of the bands playing, but I never would have considered to do something like that.  It's really sad that fans sink down to that level - the QR split with Tate also elicited a lot of vitriol like that from fans.  It's just music.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: August 31, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
I was supposed to see Blaze for the fourth time a month ago, but it got cancelled. Blaze is a dear visitor to us, so it's no problem, he'll be back.

The reason why Steve and the guys didn't tune down of pick songs that suite Blaze more could be that Blaze didn't specifically ask for that. He was thrilled enough to be in Maiden and, as a younger fellow who was given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, didn't want to be picky about things. "Sir, yes, sir! I'll sing all of those songs, original key. After all, you made me an Iron Maiden singer!" Since Blaze never addressed the issue, the other guys didn't feel the need to neither.

Fair enough but Steve should have been able to see the issues with Blaze singing the songs and taken more initiative to get the band to tune down.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1224 on: August 31, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
I have to wonder whether Steve Harris refusing (presumably) to tune down (as well as asking Blaze to sing songs that were all but impossible for him) was part of hazing Blaze a la Jason Newsted, tied-in with pent up anger at Bruce's temerity to leave the band. Was Blaze someone Steve could manipulate in a way that Bruce would never have allowed?

It does seem like Blaze was almost set-up to fail.

Disclosure: I love the two Maiden albums with Blaze.
It's almost like, subconsciously, they chose an expendable singer to make room for Bruce's eventual return. Finding the most amazing singer on the world that fans would have loved and embraced would have made harder a reunion. (Even though one could argue that Ripper was killer with Priest, and 99% of the fans welcomed back gladly Rob Halford anyway)

I know it's not like that, but the thought crossed my mind.

So I really don't think any of this is true. While Steve comes off as really laid back, you have to remember he's also very driven and somewhat stubborn. Remember when Bruce joined, the two of them would fight over who was really the frontman. Steve also always had the last word at the concerts early on.

Fast forward to Bruce's departure and there was definitely a question of whether Maiden would survive without him. From what we know of Steve, the thought of that was probably ridiculous to him and showed that the next version of Maiden needed to be as good as anything before and certainly better than whatever Bruce would end up doing. There's no question that Steve was dedicated to Blaze and genuinely thought he was the right man for the job.

As for the tunings, I think it's just another example of stubbornness. If there's one thing Maiden don't do, it's drastically alter the song arrangements. With very few exceptions, the way it was recorded is the way it's played live. Maybe tuning down would've been an admission of defeat or something. Maybe it just never occurred to him. And yea Blaze probably wasn't going to come in as a new guy and demand they alter the songs. Maybe in retrospect that would've been a good idea, but Blaze doesn't seem like the type to do that.

Ironically, one of those exceptions was a Blaze song. Maiden tuned down Lord of the Flies on the Death of the Road tour. That had to be a slap in the face to Blaze, if he was aware of them doing that.

Also, and we'll get to this more later, Steve was the last member to agree to bringing Bruce back. He had too much pride for that. I don't think Steve truly realized how vital Bruce was to the band until Brave New World. That understanding is partly what has kept them together so long IMO.