Poll

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE song!

Octavarium
25 (49%)
A Change Of Seasons
26 (51%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: May 10, 2017, 01:23:49 AM

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - The Finals - THE FINAL ROUND!!!  (Read 15660 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - The Finals - THE FINAL ROUND!!!
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
So, everyone complaining about Scar and multiple accounts - did anyone report that? Because if all you did was talk amongst yourselves about it, the mods didn't know.
They were caught red-handed in the beginning when they only had two accounts, because they posted from the wrong account in the chat thread. They made a thread shortly thereafter and were called out on it, and you simply said that it was "being looked into" and told us not to talk about it, a sentiment that Rich and bosk echoed. I guess if you wanted further information on the ongoing actions of this person, you shouldn't have shut us down in the beginning? So you certainly did know.

I do remember being told to drop it because it was being investigated. It's just too easy to create multiple accounts without getting caught.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2017, 03:01:55 AM »
He voted for ACOS on the Scar account, so it's all too easy to assume the other 3 accounts he used at least in this round were votes for ACOS as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2017, 03:27:34 AM »
So, everyone complaining about Scar and multiple accounts - did anyone report that? Because if all you did was talk amongst yourselves about it, the mods didn't know.
They were caught red-handed in the beginning when they only had two accounts, because they posted from the wrong account in the chat thread. They made a thread shortly thereafter and were called out on it, and you simply said that it was "being looked into" and told us not to talk about it, a sentiment that Rich and bosk echoed. I guess if you wanted further information on the ongoing actions of this person, you shouldn't have shut us down in the beginning? So you certainly did know.

inb4 thread locked
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
He voted for ACOS on the Scar account, so it's all too easy to assume the other 3 accounts he used at least in this round were votes for ACOS as well.

Ok.. So, if he voted 8V for the win, then it's possible that he voted for Metropolis in the tiebreaker round to save it.. The difference between Met and 8V was 4 votes, and if he has 6 or 7 accounts as Parama said, then the result did get screwed..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
Octavarium continues its stranglehold on the annual DTF tournament, despite the change of format. Effectively its fourth straight championship. It's pretty safe to say this is the community's number 1 DT song. (And, like democratic elections, if you didn't take part, you have no right to complain about this statement.)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
Octavarium continues its stranglehold on the annual DTF tournament, despite the change of format. Effectively its fourth straight championship. It's pretty safe to say this is the community's number 1 DT song. (And, like democratic elections, if you didn't take part, you have no right to complain about this statement.)

Not sure where you're getting this from, if rigging of four or five votes is in the discussion and it won by one vote, but go ahead.

It still sucks, though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
Comparisons can be made to the US government where you're okay with the result because it aligns with your interests even though it's blatantly clear the result has been tampered with very visibly

this round should've been metropolis vs. acos without the known tampering

Also 8vm is overrated as heck but dtf is bad like that in general so ehh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »

Ok.. So, if he voted 8V for the win, then it's possible that he voted for Metropolis in the tiebreaker round to save it.. The difference between Met and 8V was 4 votes, and if he has 6 or 7 accounts as Parama said, then the result did get screwed..

:tup

(And, like democratic elections, if you didn't take part, you have no right to complain about this statement.)

wtf does that have to do with it?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
Octavarium continues its stranglehold on the annual DTF tournament, despite the change of format. Effectively its fourth straight championship. It's pretty safe to say this is the community's number 1 DT song.

Not sure where you're getting this from, if rigging of four or five votes is in the discussion and it won by one vote, but go ahead.

It still sucks, though.

Because, until the rigging is proven for certain, we have to take the result at face value.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
Perhaps we could redo the last two rounds, without polls, and hand count votes that come in the form of replies.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
Yeah that's what we did in the pain of salvation survivor

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
Comparisons can be made to the US government where you're okay with the result because it aligns with your interests even though it's blatantly clear the result has been tampered with very visibly

this round should've been metropolis vs. acos without the known tampering

Yep, pretty much this (about Metropolis vs ACOS, not the political stuff). Metropolis was very comfortably on its way to the final until the last hour or so when a sudden flurry of votes put Octavarium in the lead. And I'm 'glad' Octavarium won, I voted for it to win the final, but it's a shame it happened through blatant vote rigging.

Thanks again though to the organiser of these survivors, they've been fun, and it's a shame some guy or girl messed around with it at the end. I brought attention to Scar's rigging of his own Opeth poll (which he admitted to in the thread itself) in his album cover thread, but as others have noted, there's a defensive culture on here of moderators demanding things get reported to them and then insisting on a deathly silence on the issue. Whatever. At least the top 3 of this survivor seem to have been legitimately arrived at. Thanks again, Letter M, for doing this.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
Perhaps we could redo the last two rounds, without polls, and hand count votes that come in the form of replies.

Mmm, I don't think the 51 (or 45, or 46 :yeahright *realizes how ridiculous is what happened*) people that voted here will, all of them, post their votes in a new thread... but we could try, yeah..

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2017, 05:36:40 AM »
Ugh... really?  You don't like the result, are highly suspicious (and perhaps rightfully so) of voter tampering, and so you want to redo the process?  Is it really that important to those of you bitching to see ACOS as #1 (since you're convinced 8vm isn't the legitimate winner - or even 2nd place now)?  If it's THAT important to you, then I withdraw my vote, and now it's a tie.  Have yourselves a tiebreaker.

All this belly-achin is kinda insulting to Marc's efforts over the last number of months.  He's the one that put a shit-ton of work into this for all of us.  If getting the result you want is so bloody important, then bake up your own survivor, and have at it.

/end rant.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2017, 06:03:13 AM »
Ugh... really?  You don't like the result, are highly suspicious (and perhaps rightfully so) of voter tampering, and so you want to redo the process?  Is it really that important to those of you bitching to see ACOS as #1 (since you're convinced 8vm isn't the legitimate winner - or even 2nd place now)?  If it's THAT important to you, then I withdraw my vote, and now it's a tie.  Have yourselves a tiebreaker.

All this belly-achin is kinda insulting to Marc's efforts over the last number of months.  He's the one that put a shit-ton of work into this for all of us.  If getting the result you want is so bloody important, then bake up your own survivor, and have at it.

/end completely misguided rant.

Fixed that for you.

We're fine with whatever song.... we hate the cheating that DID happen. That's the slap in the face to Marc's efforts, not our complaining about it. Take it from someone who knows that effort all too well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »
Is it really that important to those of you bitching to see ACOS as #1.

Did you not see the people who voted against ACoS who were also "bitching"?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »
That's the slap in the face to Marc's efforts, not our complaining about it. Take it from someone who knows that effort all too well.

Well, I don't see Marc taking issue with it at all.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »
That's the slap in the face to Marc's efforts, not our complaining about it. Take it from someone who knows that effort all too well.

Well, I don't see Marc taking issue with it at all.

Regardless of whatever has been going on with certain fun-hating, attention-seeking, no-life-having users with multiple accounts, this was a fun survivor to run

:hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
Yeah how dare I want a fair and honest result  ::)

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »
 :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2017, 01:49:40 AM »
I'd like that idea. The rigging wouldn't have made a difference if Octavarium had clearly been in the lead, but the results were so close that the trolling skewed them and redoing the last rounds would be fair.

Anyway, thanks for running the survivor, Marc! It's a shame it had to end this way.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »
My all time favourite DT songs in the final round, so unlucky I found this thread when it was already over.. I would have voted Octavarium, by the way. Well, these two songs are too damn close to perfection for it to not have a 50-50 balance in the voting ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
still waiting for the rerun of the last two rounds  :corn

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:48 AM »
It doesn't matter now. Thing's been ruined. (Tbh, it was ruined at round 1 of 6DOIT, but that's another story.)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
It doesn't matter now. Thing's been ruined. (Tbh, it was ruined at round 1 of 6DOIT, but that's another story.)

At least that wasn't rigged, and here and there some upsets are always nice in a tournament  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »

At least that wasn't rigged, and here and there some upsets are always nice in a tournament  :D

But it would've been better if the 'upset' had been for something like ITPOE, not one of their best songs ever.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
This just in.

Marc is under investigation by the FBI for his part in using Russian hacking services to fix the ballots.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
The fact that Marc has not been seen anywhere on this particular thread tells me all I need to know regarding a potential rerun of these rounds. This thing is done, and we have to accept the result as it stands. Octavarium is the champion, end of.

Personally, I feel like this survivor doesn't need to be held every single year. It takes 5-6 months to run it, which only leaves us 6-7 months before the same cycle of frustrations and divisions starts again. I think we need a break from it. I'd be up for either doing it every other year (next one starting in January 2019), or waiting until, say, 6 months after the next album comes out (whatever time of year that turns out to be), and going for it then.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
It's official: Octavarium is the Donald Trump of DT songs :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
weird that we'd abandon the survivor two rounds before the end then. oh well. Guess we'll never know what won.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2017, 01:09:57 PM »
weird that we'd abandon the survivor two rounds before the end then. oh well. Guess we'll never know what won.

jesus christ let it go already

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
don't set a precedent for accepting rigged results then  :corn

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »

jesus christ let it go already
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »
don't set a precedent for accepting rigged results then  :corn

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2017, 11:36:11 PM »
Well, as someone who wanted ACOS to win I can say this, about the results....

THE WORLD WILL NEVER FEEL WORTHWHILE AGAIN!
fanticide.bandcamp.com