Author Topic: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)  (Read 68745 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (#5 - What They Call Hard Feelings)
« Reply #1120 on: September 26, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
Current Overall Rankings
10. Moon Safari – Too Young to Say Goodbye
16. Fishmans – Long Season Pt. 5
18. No-Man – Back When You Where Beautiful
20. Agents of Mercy – Between Sun and Moon
24. Saltillo – Giving In
26. Talk Talk – After the Flood
28. The Flower Kings – Poor Mr. Rain’s Ordinary Guitar
31. No-Man – Song of the Surf
37. Karmakanic - Turn it Up
38. Karmakanic - Alex in Paradise
39. Saltillo – I’m on the Wrong Side
40. The Flower Kings - My Cosmic Lover

Four of the five EPs main have at least one song in the top 10, for the record. Get hyped.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1121 on: September 26, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Wow, I'm not last, I'm genuinely stunned  :eek

I could take a guess at which song of mine is in the top 10 but knowing your tastes it's probably the one you hated most  :lol

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1122 on: September 26, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
What does it mean that one song was lost from Nekov's EP?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1123 on: September 26, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
Wow, I'm not last, I'm genuinely stunned  :eek

I could take a guess at which song of mine is in the top 10 but knowing your tastes it's probably the one you hated most  :lol
Take a guess, I'm curious  :corn
@LordCost Nekov accidentally sent me a really King Crimson-y instrumental as the first song on his EP but the file had the name for the song he meant to send

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: September 26, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
Well, to be honest I was looking at doing an indie rock EP at first which I wasn't very confident about and also a post rock one but given the low score Immanu El got I decided to go another route. I remember you said you liked beautiful music and to me all those songs I sent are beautiful in their own way. In all honesty, I don't read the comments for every song people write in the roulettes, I usually pay attention to mine and maybe some other if I know the song so I totally missed you saying happy and cheerful music is not your thing which explains why I sent this.

So, I never thought the vocalist would be such a big thing for you and while Roine Stolt is not someone you can easily get into, I find his voice usually matches the kind of music he makes.
Some of these bands have songs that I think are a lot better than what I sent but most of them were longer than the permitted amount (because prog) so I had to leave them out. I would encourage you to listen to The Flower Kings since they have some darker tunes and Stolt is not their sole singer, you could actaully get into them. Karmakanic is kind of a mized bag and Moon Safari is pure sugary cheerfulness so keep the good image you have of them from that song and leave it as it is.

Anyways, this was a fun roulette even if I totally fucked up in the end. I hope you check out more of the things you did like  :smiley:

What does it mean that one song was lost from Nekov's EP?

When I was assembling the EP I was doing so using my google play music account. However, when sending the stuff I did so with youtube links except for that first song which wasn't there so I decided to send him the MP3 version I had in my computer. As it turns out, the MP3 version I have of that album is wrong so to speak and the song I sent him wasn't the one that was intended, it was something else entirely.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1125 on: September 26, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »
There's a few songs from earlier rounds where I'll definitely be checking out the album, yeah. I did spin that Dream the Electric Sleep one a bit ago, it was pretty nice but a bit overlong but I'll probably relisten when putting together my order for October. Gonna have a loooot of EP albums to check out on top of all the other stuff I want, haha

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (#4 - The Moments I Play in the Dark)
« Reply #1126 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »
4th Place: twosuitsluke: “At Least I Managed to Finish the Roulette”

Buckethead – For Mom

First Impressions:
Your EP is actually nine seconds under the thirty minute so you’re automatically disqualified corn corn corn. But no okay fine. I have heard some Buckethead before (though there’s certainly a lot of Buckethead to hear) and I find him a decent songwriter and talented but also sometimes kind of boring musician. Soothsayer is a song I quite like even with its shredfest bits. This seems to be leaning on the more emotive side too, with some chill guitar melodies and a lot less wank. Though I really don’t like how those drums sound, they sound out of place and really blocky. Doesn’t have much else to it besides that though. Ehh.

Final Thoughts:
It is a bit weird that the quiet intro track turns out to be the longest track on the entire EP. I mean, sure, not necessarily a bad thing to be certain. I like me some chill music. Though usually more when it’s atmospheric, which this isn’t really even making much an attempt to be. But it’s still nice enough regardless. The guitar work is, unsurprisingly, quite nice and hits upon a number of pleasant melodies and motifs.

It’s just a bit… simple beyond that. It’s basically the thing a lot of Buckethead music seems to have, where he’s playing over loops so the rest of the music doesn’t ever come into focus. Though I think the drums here are doing enough little things that I can’t really be certain it’s a loop, it might not be, but regardless the drums are pretty static. And there’s moments between the “chorus” of this song where it really feels like not enough is going on with the guitar either.

I just don’t think there’s enough really going on in this song for my interest to hold throughout. Sure, it hits upon a bit more of a “heavy” vibe towards the end with some bigger chords, and there’s a lot of little soloing going on throughout, but I like my songs to change in big strides even if they keep a constant flow going – that’s a problem I have with another song on a different EP that I may or may not have already posted, but. Anyways, the point is… this is fine but not much of a step above background music, at least for me.

5.75/10 (#32 out of 40)

Kylesa – Unspoken

First Impressions:
The album from these guys I checked out wasn’t this one so sure. I mean, I wasn’t much a fan of that album when I checked it out. And if I’m gonna complain about something here right out of the gate, I really do not like the tones and production of this. Everything sounds really muffled, at least during this starting bit. I think it’s a bit better when the heavy guitars kick in, or at least it doesn’t matter as much. I’m three minutes deep into this though and it’s been an intro I didn’t like and not much else besides one riff that’s just… okay. Yeah I’m sorry the production in general just really sinks this one for me, it’s hard to even say much nice about it. It’s got decent heaviness to it and is fairly dynamic as a whole, or at least as dynamic as the muddy production lets it be. But even that is a stretch honestly.

Final Thoughts:
I feel like this band should be at least a little bit up my alley, but everything I’ve ever heard from them has just not impressed me. I don’t know what it is. Obviously this track is no exception if I’m starting out this way, but it really is what it is. And more than anything I just don’t dig the production on this. I said it like three times in my first impression and it didn’t really get better. It’s to the point where it almost seems futile to have real instruments at all with the amount of effects put on some of them.

The intro guitar line I’m not a huge fan of, especially with the tone, but the bassline there is at least pretty solid. And the heavy riff that comes in after the intro, it’s a solid riff. The choir “aahh”s going on at some points are also a nice touch, I appreciate that. It really does feel like this lacks in content a little though. That one riff goes on and on and then the first thing that happens after is a guitar solo reprising the intro guitar lead. It’s not until about 3:30 that the song hits on a completely new idea with a solid sludgy riff and some decent guitar soloing buried into the mix.

Again, the songwriting itself is alright enough, a bit too little happening at some points but I could see it working with a bit of tightening up… but yeah, that production really just sinks this for me overall. And the song as it is, even aside from that, just doesn’t have enough to hook me.

5.5/10 (#34 out of 40)

Kvelertak – Ulvetid

First Impressions:
I got sent a song by these guys in my first roulette and, well, suffice to say I wasn’t a fan. This one seems to be a lot more straight up black metal in nature though if the intense intro with blast beats has anything to say about it. This is at the very least something I’d be more likely to stick around for. I’m way more into the atmospheric bits of this, which are pretty nice, than the more standard heavy metal bits, which are just okay. But I mean yeah this is a lot better than I was expecting from this band in all honesty, even if I’m not in love with it or anything.

Final Thoughts:
It’s really telling when the black metal song has better production than the Kylesa song. But yeah, for a genre where the production seems to be random chance whether or not it’s good, I think this track does a good job.

I think what this band does that works here is balancing the really intense blastbeat moments out with some more straightforward metaling that keeps the song from ever sounding exhausting without burning away the moment the more intense bits build up entirely. And then there’s the bit in the middle where everything just cuts back to a wall of guitar noise & some tom-heavy drumming providing a frantic pace. Momentum is really the key word here and they do quite well to manage it all throughout this song, while still remaining dynamically interesting.

There’s a bit that happens towards the end of the song where they have this descending triplet hit taking the song straight to an abrupt key change and that moment is just so goddamn brilliant. That one second of music seamlessly turns the song into something completely different & they even hit on a 50’s style rock riff for a moment after, puts a smile on my face.

So yeah… it’s not like, a massive hit with me or anything but it certainly ups the ante of the previous tracks on the EP by quite a good margin, I only wish it was a touch longer honestly, but it’s still pretty damn solid stuff.

8/10 (#9 out of 40)

Killer Be Killed – Wings of Feather and Wax

First Impressions:
I’m not really sure what this is trying to be other than “heavy”. I’m definitely not a huge fan of this vocal style, neither the cleaner bits nor the harsh vocals. I’m surprised the drummer isn’t the member of Mastodon in this because the drumming style reminds me a lot of him. And honestly the drums are easily the most interesting and most driving part of this one, they’re really way more in control of the feel of the song than anything else. It feels like a bit disjointed of a song overall and could definitely use a bit more dynamic production – it feels wall of sounding hard & just constantly trying to be loud, but there’s some decent riffs here and that drumming is pretty cool, so, ehh.

Final Thoughts:
If there’s one thing I can say about this song, is that the energy it carries throughout the first half of the song is enough to sell the emotion of the track on its own. I actually think the Icarus myth is completely played out as a metaphor and it’s quite cliché, but the mixture of energy and power in the singer’s voice at least makes it permissible here.

Then the song goes off and does a lot of random things in the middle of the track, slowing down for a bit but then turning into a thrash metal tune for a little bit? Sounds kinda like Slayer, but not as sucky. That middle bit is really a weird diversion from the simple but effective meat of the song and while it’s not a bad interlude by its own it doesn’t quite work for me.

Oh and the vocals. I think they’re okay. Not huge on the style but there’s enough passion in the delivery that I can’t help but at least appreciate them. So yeah, here’s another song that is pretty damn solid. I dig the chorus especially. Not something I’m likely to remember outside of the chorus but I enjoy what’s here well enough.

7.75/10 (#11 out of 40)

Kvelertak – Sultans of Satan

First Impressions:
I was expecting a black metal cover of Sultans of Swing from a title like that. That would’ve been pretty amusing if nothing else. This feels more like a blackened Ghost track though, especially with that chorus. And it’s a song title they’d probably make too. That riff in the middle definitely has some fun groove to it too. Aaand cowbell. Yeah, this is a fun enough song, it mixes in a lot of styles but does it fairly cohesively. I’m not like, huge on it, but I enjoy it well enough.

Final Thoughts:
Mmmhm… coming back to this after several listens I’m just not sure what to think about it. I am definitely preferring the straighter black metal approach of Ulvetid to this track that leans more heavily on the classic heavy metal sound throughout. And yeah, that chorus is solid though not the most memorable.

Probably the coolest bit of this is that slower groove in the middle – it’s not that unique of a groove but it’s one I can definitely feel and nod my head to. And the guitar line immediately following it leading back into the rest of the song is pretty cool too. And the guitar solo immediately after. It’s all like. Pretty solid stuff, there’s no part of this I dislike. It goes maybe a bit too many places in too short of a time but it’s got a throughline of “heavy metal, but with black metal vocals” that still makes it cohesive overall, with a solid singalong chorus to ground it.

At the end of the day I can say with confidence: Yeah, I like this one. I certainly like both of the Kvelertak songs on this EP more than the one sent in my first roulette and I’d say that these two are the only time across any EP that both songs by an artist are about equally as good & I enjoy them both a fair bit.

7.5/10 (#13 out of 40)

Glassjaw – Ape Dos Mil

First Impressions:
I’m only aware of these guys because they were touring with Coheed and TYS in 2015 but the show I got where I lived at the time had Cursive instead. And I’m glad it did since, well, I really like The Ugly Organ, quite a bit. But I didn’t actually check out these guys as a result. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of this vocalist though. He’s kind of… all over the place here. I think this song has a pretty solid progression & arc to it, it feels like it goes a fair number of places while still feeling cohesive and succinct. I just kind of wish I liked the places it was going more, nothing is really sticking out for me on first listen.

Final Thoughts:
This one grew on me quite a bit. I’m not too huge on the vocalist’s tone and he goes offkey on random notes quite often. But there’s something to some of these really weird melodies that works better than it has any right to, and the moments where his voice gets a slight rough edge to it adds a layer of realness to it. I think that’s what it is – there’s a lot of high-pitched singers that seem to be doing it mostly for the style but I don’t get the sense of that here, and as a result the emotion of the voice can come through. But seriously get this man at least a few singing lessons.

As for the music, it’s more accompaniment to the mood of the vocals at any given time – palm muted restrained and a downtempo beat for the verses and the bridge, some melodic leads, power chords, and heavier drums for the more explosive chorus. There’s a bit of a buildup to the last chorus too. I think the bass might be doing some kind of cool stuff here and there, I hear at least one solid repeated melody during the chorus for sure.

It’s just the kind of song where nothing really stands out that strongly, but it’s for the most point enjoyable, I can’t really say there’s anything about this I dislike and it doesn’t go on longer than it should either. But aside from the vocals occasionally hitting upon something cool there’s not a huge power to this for me, at least not enough to make it truly great.

Addendum: So this is the only bit I’m writing after doing my initial write-ups because this song has been on my mind quite a bit since I did the writeup, moreso than any other song in the round, even the ones I still like more. There’s like, a lot of little things here that really help this click for me – the force behind “GOD DAMMED SINNER” on the verses, some great melodies during the chorus, it’s just a better song all-around than I feel like I gave it credit for in this writeup. And having said that, I think I still prefer the other Glassjaw song just a smidgen over this one. Oh well. Guy still needs singing lessons though.

8.25/10 (#7 out of 40)

Glassjaw – Cosmopolitan Blood Loss

First Impressions:
This is a bit more explosive right out the gate, it seems. I’m still wondering if these are in the right order on this EP because apparently they’re in the opposite order on the album & back to back there so. Who knows. I do think the music here does a better job of keeping me interested, probably because I’m a loser and it’s heavier and a bit more dissonant. But this feels like it doesn’t have much else besides that heavy riff and its chorus, really. A bit light on substance even for three minutes, I dunno.

Final Thoughts:
The chorus of this one is certainly a lot more striking and immediate – another one of those I’ve had bouncing around in my head almost from first listen. It’s a good singalong chorus for sure, the music behind it isn’t really that special but there’s enough little subtleties to keep it from being completely dismissable.

There’s also that one pounding heavy riff that shows up at a few times, and as basic as it is? Yeah, I dig it a lot. I especially dig when you have what basically amounts to a noise solo on top of that riff. That’s a heavy freakin’ sound right there and it doesn’t really overstay its welcome either.

The one thing this doesn’t have that the other Glassjaw song did have was a bit of an emotional pull to it – it’s a bit of a dry song, one that really succeeds more on its noisiness and heaviness mixed with a memorable chorus than reaching for powerful emotions like Ape Dos Mil. It’s actually kind of hard to compare the two and if not for the offkey singer on both it’d be hard to pin these two songs as being by the same band, much less as being right next to each other on the tracklist of this album. They both work well in different ways and I can’t really say which I prefer.

8.5/10 (#4 out of 40)

Overall EP Thoughts:
The one thing that makes this EP stand out from the rest is that it is not very cohesive. Yes, that’s not a good thing at all, I’m just saying. It does sound more like a collection of songs vaguely organized into a passable track order than a cohesive whole, and that hurts the EP score of this considerably more than the rest of them here. I dig the use of the Buckethead song as an intro, and the Glassjaw song works as a closer, though I honestly would’ve probably swapped the two – have the heavier, shorter one following the heavier Kvelertak song, then the slower, more emotional one as the closer. But that’s more of a nitpick.

The EP is all over the place in terms of styles though. You have the acoustic intro which, while fine as an EP opener, is a bit disconnected from most of the rest of this – the only thing that remotely connects is Ape Dos Mil all the way towards the end of the EP. And the Kylesa track is more of a stoner metal tune. The two Kvelertak songs are both pretty different, but cohesive against each other well enough (no surprise there) – one is heavier on the black metal and the other heavier on the hard rock/classic heavy metal, but beyond that they work together well enough. The Killer Be Killed song is… hard to classify but it’s somewhere between post-hardcore and thrash metal, I guess? And the two Glassjaw songs are both different shades of emo/post-hardcore, the former leaning more on the former and the latter on the latter. I just don’t quite see the throughline connecting all these.

And that’s fine when, at the end of the day, the average bar of quality on this EP is definitely set a bit higher than on some of the other EPs, and aside from the lack of cohesion most of the rest of the EP score is there – variety for sure, flow and ordering both done well enough to not be distracting. But the lack of cohesiveness is probably the biggest dealbreaker on an EP and I do have to judge it on that basis.

6/10

Song Score Breakdown:

Total EP Length: 29:51 -> 1791 seconds (you cheater)

For Mom - 5:10 -> 310 seconds
310/1791 = .173
5.75 * .173 = 0.99475

Unspoken - 4:47 -> 287 seconds
287/1791 = .161 (rounded up .001 so the sum is 1.000 instead of .999)
5.5 * .161 = 0.8855

Ulvetid - 3:29 -> 209 seconds
209/1791 = .117
8 * .117 = 0.936

Wings of Feather and Wax - 3:40 -> 220 seconds
220/1791 = .123
7.75 * .123 = 0.95325

Sultans of Satan - 4:35 -> 275 seconds
275/1791 = .154
7.5 * .154 = 1.155

Ape Dos Mil - 5:03 -> 303 seconds
303/1791 = .169
8.25 * .169 = 1.39425

Cosmopolitan Blood Loss - 3:04 -> 184 seconds
184/1791 = .103
8.5 * .103 = 0.8755

Sum: 7.19425
EP Song Score: 7.19425 * 3 = 21.58
EP Score: 6
Bonus Points: 0.25

Final EP Score: 27.83/40

I'm going to be honest, I actually thought your EP would fare a lot better than it did until right when I did my points breakdown here. Based on the individual song scores alone, you would’ve easily taken second place. But those first two tracks being particularly weak really hurt this EP overall, and the slapdash nature of the flow overall didn’t help matters either. If it helps this did have some of my favorite songs in the entire round and the song standings board is proof of that – you actually had the best ranking average of anyone in the entire roulette, even more than the EP that took first place. I’m standing by my scores though, so that’s how it is. Definitely gonna check out that Glassjaw album though, and maybe give Kvelertak another chance too.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: September 26, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Current Overall Rankings
4. Glassjaw – Cosmopolitan Blood Loss
7. Glassjaw – Ape Dos Mil
9. Kvelertak – Ulvetid
11. Killer Be Killed – Wings of Feather and Wax
13. Kvelertak – Sultans of Satan
24. Saltillo – Giving In
32. Buckethead - For Mom
34. Kylesa – Unspoken

Really makes me wonder if I'm weighting the EP score too highly given how many of Luke's scores are near the top of the rankings - 5 songs in the top 15! Geez. Oh well, too late to fix that now  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (#4 - The Moments I Play in the Dark)
« Reply #1128 on: September 27, 2017, 12:00:27 AM »
Changing ep round results, train gets 5th now
:corn

Seriously thinking the only reason I rank above luke is flow score now, I bet Kauan had a pretty good score at least though.

During hangman I kept my mouth shut and closed the page after having written a post where I guessed both Glassjaw songs and then continued to say I love their instrumentals (very similar to Deftones) but absolutely hate the vocals, and that you'd probsbly hate them as well. :lol I continue to be terrible at figuring out your tastes

Checked out both because I was curious what the fuss was about but meh, vocals still don't grab me

Also I forgot to say this like 3 months ago but congrats on winning Parama's roulette, Luoto!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: September 27, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
I mean even i admitted the vocals are kind of bad but in a way that works  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1130 on: September 27, 2017, 03:41:12 AM »
I've been vocal about how I was totally scraping the bottom of my 'Parama' barrel for a while.

I totally agree about the flow letting my EP down, it's hard when you struggle to find enough music, and when you do, arranging it to a cohesive piece. Also, I wish I'd had the time to edit all the tracks into one file, with crossfades etc.

But still, I did much better than in your last roulette  :lol

Bit gutted though as it was only my 'flow' that cost me the win in Tomi's roulette as well  :tdwn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: September 27, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
3rd Place: Luoto: Songs From the Edge of the Earth

In Vain – Image of Time

First Impressions:
I am basically just expecting an EP full of good, solid metal here and if this song is any indication of what’s to come I’m going to get exactly that aren’t I. Cool. Though if I’m being brutally honest this one is a bit dull. Decent, but not really doing anything I haven’t heard done better elsewhere. There’s a nice power and energy running throughout the entire song and there’s some moments of melodic reprieve. But mostly I am finding the riffs pretty uninspired, the rhythms a bit too straightforward, the vocals not really up my alley, it’s just a bit too simple all around. It’s a good solid EP opener nonetheless but not one I see myself getting much out of on relistens.

Final Thoughts:
I find this one hard to talk about because… it’s just a phenomenally “okay” metal song. It’s the kind of song where I don’t really mind it in isolation, but an entire album in this style is almost certainly something I wouldn’t listen to the whole way through.

Like, it’s got a stubborn commitment to melody the whole way through that kind of makes it lose any sense of strife or conflict? That’s something metal should have at least some amount of to really work but here, nah, the melodies are all simple and there’s always something bright and clean sounding happening at any given moment. I mean, yeah, of course there are growls, quite a bit of them. I guess you could argue they provide that element of conflict but I don’t think they’re enough.

Really though it just comes down to not much of this being musically very interesting at all. There’s that one 6/4 bit near the start of the song that’s probably the most memorable part, and it’s an okay riff, but it doesn’t really stick around much. I can still kind of get the energy of this one, but it’s the kind of song where I feel like what’s really making this a standout song worth sending.. I’m just not seeing.

So yeah, I can’t say it’s a bad song by any means but it’s also just not a song that does much of anything for me aside from a small few moments. Don’t dislike it but it’s not something I find myself likely to even remember at all after the roulette.

6/10 (#29 out of 40)

In Mourning – From a Tidal Sleep

First Impressions:
A minute into this one and it’s already doing a lot more for me than the last one. I’m a sucker for the 6/8 rhythms but no the instrumentation is just a lot more interesting. The riffs have a more majestic feel to them, the bass gets some cool licks in the quieter moments, and mostly it’s just dynamic in an interesting way. Not a huge fan of the vocals again when they come in, but. There’s also moments where it devolves into more jagged and proggy riffage and I am also wholly on board with that. I dunno if the song really does much more to keep me invested or continue impressing me after but it’s at least at a very solid baseline of quality throughout that I can appreciate.

Final Thoughts:
This basically fixes the main problem I had with the first track you send, which is that, while it’s still certainly pretty melodic, there’s a lot of moments where it goes towards a bit less clean of a sound and more towards heaviness and jaggedness. It’s basically just a better balance of the melodeath sound, at least for me.

That aside, I can’t really say any of this hits particularly hard unfortunately. Like, yeah. There’s some solid riffing, some nice triumphant melodies, a quieter bit in the middle to give the song a bit more dynamics. “Solid” is just the word that comes to mind here more than anything else.

Is this a band I’d go and check out more from though? No. Even with how little melodic death metal I have, I am just not too interested in seeking out much more. There’s not a lot in this that makes it stand out from other songs in the genre, or heck, other songs you yourself have previously sent. It’s still an enjoyable enough song on its own merits, for sure, but not much beyond that. Just… fine.

7.25/10 (#19 out of 40)

Pressure Points – Between the Lies

First Impressions:
The death vocals for the third time are quite not up my alley but I’m used to not really caring for this style of growl. So whatever. The music itself seems a lot brighter in comparison and take away the vocals and I wouldn’t think this is death metal at all. I don’t have much to say about this that I didn’t already say about the first two tracks. Riffs are pretty decent. I dig the clean vocals at least. The clean bit in the second half is maybe a bit uninspired but it breaks the pace up nicely. It’s a pretty well-structured song on the whole and while it doesn’t really blow me away it’s again pretty enjoyable throughout. It’s going to be hard to do first impressions for this round if everyone keeps sending these really samey EPs where I would say basically the same thing about every song, lol.

Final Thoughts:
I guess basically the one thing this has that the first two tracks on your EP didn’t have is that synth that shows up sometimes. A big problem I have with this is that whenever the synth is intended to take center stage, it seems like the instrumentation wants to become really generic to give it more room to breathe. Like there’s a bit where the synth has a plucky sound to it and the guitars, bass, and drums are all just playing this chuggy riff/rhythm together. Which just feels like not enough.

Beyond that, well, I honestly have a hard time finding much to say about this. You have that clean bit in the middle, and what I’m finding with the kind of clean break they’re going for here – the bass is super important and should be accentuated a bit more. I do here it there and it has a few moments in there, but letting the rather basic clean guitar line take up most of the mix instead of the bass is a mistake I feel. The guitar leads are cool though.

I do dig the riff that takes the song out of the quieter middle and starts building it back up to heaviness – add in the piano giving a bit of melodic texture there too and it’s a great escalating moment that leads to a nice reprise of the guitar lead from earlier in the song – one of the few bits in the first half of this that I really did like, I probably should’ve mentioned it earlier in this writeup but whatever. I’m basically just commenting on anything that stands out at this point.

The song… doesn’t really capitalize on its climax though, it just goes back to that really uninteresting chugging riff for a repeat of the chorus and a brief outro. So there’s definitely some wasted potential in there.

I dunno. I think there are parts of this that do work well enough, but there’s also some parts of this that just don’t interest me much. And even the best parts aren’t really blowing me away, there’s nothing that really resonates with me. It just bounces between “kind of mediocre” and “pretty solid”. It’s… okay.

7/10 (#21 out of 40)

Amendfoil – Darken Waters

First Impressions:
This one stands out by being a bit more succinct than the other songs as well as being a bit more straightforward and accessible. Like, that opening riff is just a hard rock riff with a bit of extra distortion. And I dunno, this song feels like it has a fun vibe to it throughout, at least to me. It’s not really taking itself too seriously but it’s not overtly that goofy or cheesy either. It does lean a bit too far on the edge of just being a bit too straightforward and lacking any real instrumental depth, since nothing is really that impressive on a technical level here. But it’s got a good driving groove and I can at least appreciate that.

Final Thoughts:
I think inevitably this one actually ends up being my favorite off your EP on the basis of actually standing out and sounding different from the rest of these tracks. It doesn’t feel out of place at all, it’s still got a solid heavy vibe to it, but it’s just so much more fun and immediately striking.

It’s also definitely got the best vocal performances of all the tracks here, I prefer the rough-edged deep vocals to straight up growls and there’s some moments of harmonizing, especially on the chorus, that work well with the vibe of the song. And you have some moments of driving intensity too, especially the bridge leading into the last chorus, the riffing there and tremolo-picked leads really help the song build and maintain momentum.

It sort of evolves over time from that more fun vibe to a more immense and energetic vibe, sort of power metal-y really, without ever really de-escalating to the very end. It doesn’t really need to be showoff-y or technical to be compelling, basically.

So uh yeah. Definitely the highlight of the EP but because of how songs get weighted on EPs it’s unfortunately going to count the least towards the overall song score, which is maybe a bit of a shame.

8.5/10 (#3 out of 40)

Ghost Brigade – Elämä on Tulta

First Impressions:
I think I did check out an album from this band (though not the one this is off of) in the past but wasn’t too impressed by it. Is this better though? I don’t know really, it’s got an emphasis on this driving, melodic riffs mixed in with some more harsh vocals that aren’t doing a ton for me. I think if anything is the real appeal here it’s the drumming, which seems to evolve and drive the song more than anything else does. Unfortunately it’s not a Djakninn-like case where the guitar riff is good enough on its own than excellent drumming only accentuates it – the guitar work here is really damn dull, especially towards the end where it’s just hammering on one note, over and over. Ehh. Kind of feels like a bit lazily-written of a song as a whole if I’m being honest.

Final Thoughts:
This one starts off pretty solid with a cleaner bit that builds up until the real song kicks in – the kind of intro that work well for the more atmospheric angle this song seems to be taking. Or at least I assume that’s the angle it’s taking because the straightforward nature of the song and basic guitar work give that sense.

It’s the kind of song where I think the small differences in the instrumentation are supposed to be the hook? Unfortunately I don’t tend to have the attention span for that. It’s not slow enough and doesn’t have enough groove or power to really drive the hypnotic vibe I can really get lost in that some atmospheric metal has. It does build up its atmosphere a small bit but it’s not a lot.

The drum work, mostly all the fills in between phrases, really is the highlight of this track. I sort of wish the rest of the instrumentation was up to that standard because it’s the one element here that really works and works well, creating this stop-start frantic feel that has its own slow escalation to it – the fills get longer and more involved the further into the song it gets. And yet at the same time the guitar work gets less interesting towards the end, going from at least having slight melodic variance to literally just hammering on one chord.

So uhh. In a word this is definitely a very frustrating song. I would compare it to Djakninn for the drumming style, but that also had a really compelling guitar line that drove emotive power on its own, and the combo of that great and always slightly varying guitar combined with the intense, unrelenting drums make that song work as well as it does, whereas here? It just feels like one idea stretched out to five minutes without enough variance or weight to sustain itself, it really feels like this should’ve been shorter.

For the elements I do like about this, it’s still earning at least a decent score, but they really should hire their guitarist and find a much more capable replacement before they do anything else. Serious wasted potential.

6.75/10 (#22 out of 40)

Overall EP Thoughts:
Okay, I understand wanting to keep at least somewhat of a cohesive sound but I think there’s a way of doing that without having all the songs sound as similar as they do. The Amendfoil track is the only one that feels notably different from the other four, and the first three tracks in particular are all in a very similar melodeath vein to the point where them all being from the same album wouldn’t surprise me.

I do think the Ghost Brigade song could’ve been a good pick as a closer if not for how… frustrating it is, but putting aside the actual quality of the song, and really all the songs, the structure of this EP is pretty good. Energetic opener, longer, more progressive tunes after, then a cooldown shorter and more upbeat track before an atmospheric closer. In concept it works just fine. I mean, the songs really needed to have more differentiating them for it to really work for me, but as far as things go structurally I don’t have a problem there at all, it’s well done on that front.

So yeah, cohesiveness, flow, and structure are pretty good here, but variety is seriously, SERIOUSLY lacking and that really hurts each individual song as well as the EP as a whole. Not enough to totally tank your EP score since everything else is fine, but enough to bring it down a few notches.

7/10

Song Score Breakdown:

Total EP Length: 34:04 -> 2043 seconds

Image of Time - 5:37 -> 337 seconds
337/2043 = .165
6 * .165 = 0.99

From a Tidal Sleep - 6:51 -> 411 seconds
411/2043 = .201
7.25 * .201 = 1.45725

Between the Lies - 9:36 -> 576 seconds
576/2043 = .282
7 * .282 = 1.974

Darken Waters - 4:35 -> 275 seconds
275/2043 = .135
8.5 * .135 = 1.1475

Elämä on Tulta - 7:22 -> 442 seconds
442/2043 = .217 (rounded up .001 so the sum is 1.000 instead of .999)
6.75 * .217 = 1.46475

Sum: 7.0335
EP Song Score: 7.0335 * 3 = 21.10
EP Score: 7
Bonus Points: 1.25

Final EP Score: 29.35/40

I do feel like your EP has it worst in terms of lacking variety and that some of these songs failed to stand out because they were so similar to other songs on the EP – most notable in that the one song with a bit of a different feel ended up being far and away my favorite and one of my favorite tracks of the entire round to boot. And I didn’t dislike any of the tracks here, at the very least, I was just a bit… underwhelmed, on the whole.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1132 on: September 27, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Current Overall Rankings
3. Amendfoil – Darken Waters
4. Glassjaw – Cosmopolitan Blood Loss
7. Glassjaw – Ape Dos Mil
9. Kvelertak – Ulvetid
11. Killer Be Killed – Wings of Feather and Wax
13. Kvelertak – Sultans of Satan
19. In Mourning – From a Tidal Sleep
21. Pressure Points – Between the Lies
22. Ghost Brigade – Elämä on Tulta
24. Saltillo – Giving In
29. In Vain – Image of Time
32. Buckethead - For Mom
34. Kylesa – Unspoken

Two EPs left. Who will win? Find out tonight  :corn

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1133 on: September 27, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
Also I forgot to say this like 3 months ago but congrats on winning Parama's roulette, Luoto!

:rollin

Yeah, I sort of warned about running out of the good stuff, and this EP ended up being more melodeath-based than the earlier rounds (I also mentioned that one band that would've changed everything about variety). That in mind I consider myself being a winner on a personal level for making my first ever roulette finals.

Really happy you liked the Amendfoil track, and I'm sure there are many more on these forums who'd like their stuff. Ghost Brigade's score is a bit underwhelming, but at least we both liken the song to Djakninn in terms of drum work :D
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (#2 - It's Time We Danced With the Truth)
« Reply #1134 on: September 27, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
2nd Place: Train of Naught: The Intercontinental Train (of Naught) of Impending Doom... Extravaganza

Tusks – Toronto

First Impressions:
I’ve never been to Canada. I should visit sometime though I live pretty close really.  Anyways I know exactly why you sent this and it’s because of Daughter. Similar vocalist, similar guitar style. I don’t feel like this pulls as much emotional weight, but I mean, it’s still pretty dang nice and hits a stronger climax if I’m being honest. So yeah. Short but satisfying start.

Final Thoughts:
I think the one failing of this song is that the singer just isn’t great at conveying a sense of emotional power in her performance. I mean yeah, she can sing very technically fine and has decent power to her voice during the louder moments here but I am just never really sold on the emotional power the song is going for and I’m pretty sure the vocals are why.

Beyond that this is musically pretty dang solid, having some quieter moments driven by guitar but having the synths and drums really providing some swell and atmosphere during the more intense parts of the song, especially the last minute or so which really ties all the elements together for a great climax. Though I kind of wish there was more than just the one guitar line throughout this.

I also think having some vocals for the climax of the song would’ve improved it significantly too, it’s still a pretty solid close for the tune but doesn’t hit the peak it really should & I feel the lack of vocals is why. But really overall? Yeah, solid tune. Don’t think I love it but I enjoy it plenty.

7.5/10 (#17 out of 40)

White Moth Black Butterfly – Rising Sun

First Impressions:
The male vocalist here is a bit weird and not really to my taste, but he’s got a more interesting style than the female vocalist here, who instead just sounds better but doesn’t really sound too unique. Musically I am getting a decently atmospheric indie rock vibe from this though the music seems really downplayed throughout this. It sounds nice on the whole for sure and I wouldn’t say it’s boring but due to how downplayed the music is and due to me not really being in love with either vocalist it feels like a bit of a nothing song.

Final Thoughts:
Huh, so apparently this is the Skyharbor/TesseracT guy. Somehow he does not sound the least bit familiar here and honestly his vocal style does sound a bit out of place here. Not bad, just a bit… weird. And  as for the chorus… it’s underwhelming as heck really, those female vocals are just way too understated to carry the hook or have any emotional weight to them.

The music on this track is a bit… strange too. Now that I know this comes from a djent background, the heavy emphasis on the bass makes total sense. I actually really like that, but I do wish the bassline had a bit more to it than what actually is here. Aside from that… the jagged guitar bits are kind of cool but don’t really ever come together, and most of the rest of the instrumentals are atmospheric mush that blends together and sounds pleasant without really grabbing me in any real way.

So overall I’d have to say… ehh. I wish I liked this more than I do but it’s just kind of… okay. It also ends super abruptly without ever hitting any sort of peak which makes the entire song feel like a meandering mess in the end. Yeah, can’t say I’m hugely behind this, there’s elements here and there I do like but nothing that really makes me want to return to this.

6.75/10 (#23 out of 40)

Wardruna – Raido

First Impressions:
Okay I know you played this artist at least once or twice in plug.dj but I didn’t really check them out after so I figured I’d give a pass on sending them regardless. I mean, I allowed Kauan, whose album I totally listened to at some point (two of them, I think, but I don’t recall either much at all). Anyways the song itself. Seems like another of those where all the elements slowly build upon each other, though I think the 5/8 rhythm doesn’t really work in favor of the track here. Regardless of that I still think it’s a song that builds up to a pretty decent climax, though not as strong as the similar song you’ve sent before.

Final Thoughts:
At the end of the day this one is totally fine but gets completely overshadowed by the song after it. Like same artist, same buildup, but without the melodic hook that makes that song really come together and stick in my mind. This one just feels like… background music, mostly.

It has varied enough instrumentation, for sure, but between the 5/8 rhythm that just doesn’t flatter this style of music, and the kind of musical mish-mash of sounds competing without ever coming together, it ends up feeling like a meandering, directionless track that really doesn’t capitalize on its potential. Even the climax near the end feels a bit understated, with the vocals being drowned out by the rest of the music, and it ends a bit abruptly as well.

Really that just makes it “a song to pass time to while waiting for the next track” in the end. Which is a bit of a shame, I mean, it’s still a decent enough track on its own merit, but between its own failings and how it doesn’t hold up against the better song from this artist I just don’t find myself too interested in this one.

6.25/10 (#27 out of 40)

Wardruna – Odal

First Impressions:
And another one. I’m pretty sure this is the one you played in plug.dj actually. Not 100% sure but it sounds vaguely familiar. The percussion is definitely a lot more driving on this one. It feels like it hits a peak near the middle of the track and then just kind of, drops off from there. I guess it’s another song that feels a need to repeat its same loop twice? I’ve already made it clear I’m not a huge fan of that kind of song structure but I mean. Beyond that it’s still pretty great from an atmospheric standpoint and the big moments of the song have the kind of power I’m looking for in stuff like this. It’s a bit weird to put both of these tracks next to each other in my opinion since I do think this one overshadows the previous one and makes it feel redundant by necessity, but ehh.

Final Thoughts:
So I basically spoiled in my writeup of the previous song that I like this one a fair bit. And yup, this has basically none of the problems of the last track. For one, it has a great base to the song with that locked drum groove. It’s a solid, pounding rhythm, and being in 6/8 rather than 5/8 gives it a bit more of a straightforward and driving feel, which basically just serves to give the song some direction.

On top of that, this has an actual refrain with a memorable melody to it – that great bit of vocal harmonization that comes at the end of the song’s buildups. It’s both great on its own merit, with all the instrumentation coming together to back up the vocals, and a satisfying climax to the build and groove the song has been riding on up to that point.

Basically the only complaint I have about this is the same thing I said in my first impressions, and the same issue Skuggsja had – it just repeats basically the same loop of buildup twice without any significant variation, which mostly serves to make the song feel longer than it needs to be, and makes sure the second climax can’t really have the power of the first because it’s no longer fresh. And I dunno how much I care for the child vocal ending bit but, whatever.

At the end of the day I do like this but it’s got basically the same issue as Skuggsja and hits me about as hard as that one, which is to say – I do like it a fair bit but it’s got a bit of wasted potential all the same.

7.75/10 (#12 out of 40)

Les Discrets – Song for Mountains

First Impressions:
So yes I’ve also listened to this artist before, or I’m almost positive I have, back when I was first getting into blackgaze. Since they often come up alongside Alcest. I think. I’m pretty sure I recognize the artist at least so yeah whatever. I see that this is kind of continuing off the folk undertones of the previous track a little bit, but not too intensely either. Beyond that I really don’t have much to say about this uhh. It’s decent blackgaze-lite stuff? It’s got some melodies grounding it and it has its moments of atmosphere too, though I can’t say it really does much to stand out in the genre it occupies.

Final Thoughts:
I’m already two minutes into this one during my final writeup and I just don’t have anything to say about this. It’s very much “just another atmospheric metal song”. That’s the only way I can really describe it. The textures the song provides are nice but nothing I haven’t heard before. Same with the vocals, pleasant but without any strong melodies to keep me interested.

It doesn’t even really have a sense of crushing heaviness at any point, even in its louder moments it’s still rather subdued. It doesn’t give the sense of being overwhelmed that a lot of the best atmospheric metal has, I guess. I don’t know what else to say about it really. It just doesn’t work for me. Honestly it’s kind of dull. Not unpleasant, just… uninteresting and without any real emotional weight to it.

5.5/10 (#35 out of 40)

Kauan – IV

First Impressions:
I got halfway through this without having a ton to say, oops. I am digging those strings for sure, they’re probably the most interesting thing about this. The rest of it being… you know, pretty solid atmospheric metal? Probably something I’ll like more on relistens. That piano break in the middle comes in at a great time and really resolves the tension the song had been building up in an effective way, I dug that a lot. I think the one thing here is that this doesn’t quite get heavy enough? It’s got a low roaring guitar line throughout the louder moments but it never really approaches “crushing” or “overwhelming” like the best atmospheric metal does.

Final Thoughts:
I think the start of this works pretty well, the twinkly guitar tones provide a solid backdrop for the slow start. But I don’t think this really comes alive until it hits that main melody bit about two minutes in. I can’t tell if that’s strings or some weird vocal effect, or both? Whatever it is it really does well to ground the song and give it a sense of cohesiveness as well as a bit of a folky vibe in the melody.

Beyond that it’s hard to really find much about this to comment on other than “it’s very pretty” and “it flows well enough to stay interesting throughout”. I wouldn’t say much of it is particularly memorable given that the main melody is the only part of this I remember to any significant degree and even on fifth listen I still feel like I’m hearing some of this for the first time.

There’s even a bit of growls towards the end of the song but I don’t quite feel like the song builds up enough to really earn them? Yes, that part of the song is a bit heavier and doomier but the guitar is still understated enough to not really be that powerful in the end. It definitely leaves me wanting a more satisfying climax, something I can really feel, but I don’t really even get that. There is certainly -a- climax, but not one that hits hard enough to work.

So… overall I can see why this might work for you but for me I just don’t think it’s quite there. I like it more than most of the tracks on this EP, sure – it’s probably my second favorite behind Odal, but not by that much over the Tusks song, and even the best track here isn’t exactly wowing me in any real way. I guess that makes this a bit disappointing in the end, both as a song and as an EP closer. It’s alright but could’ve been better.

7.5/10 (#14 out of 40)

Overall EP Thoughts:
As far as overall EP score goes… this is probably going to rank the highest of all of them. There’s variety, for sure – two tracks leaning more towards indie rock, two atmospheric folk tunes, two atmospheric metal tunes – but they all feel like they belong together as well. And there’s a gradual build up from the more understated tunes to the heavier stuff at the end of the album, though as is clear from my write-ups I wish there was even more of a build than we got. So in terms of structure and flow it also does really well.

The real failing here is only in the individual songs, none of which grasped me – but that’s an issue with the songs themselves, and I can’t really find any major fault with how the EP is structured. It’s probably because you had to cut the So Hideous song, which would’ve likely completed the buildup throughout the EP, but hey, it was on the banned list not only in this roulette but my last roulette too, so.

9/10

Song Score Breakdown:

Total EP Length: 31:39 -> 1899 seconds

Toronto - 3:21 -> 201 seconds
201/1899 = .106
7.5 * .106 = 0.795

Rising Sun - 3:32 -> 212 seconds
212/1899 = .112
6.75 * .112 = 0.756

Raido - 4:56 -> 296 seconds
296/1899 = .156
6.25 * .156 = 0.975

Odal - 5:31 -> 331 seconds
331/1899 = .174
7.75 * .174 = 1.3485

Song for Mountains - 5:58 -> 358 seconds
358/1899 = .189
5.5 * .189 = 1.0395

IV - 8:19 -> 499 seconds
499/1899 = .263
7.5 * .263 = 1.9725

Sum: 6.8865
EP Song Score: 6.8865 * 3 = 20.66
EP Score: 9
Bonus Points: 0

Final EP Score: 29.66/40

That EP score really propped this one up a good bit and I’d stand by it, I do sort of get the sense this was a “thrown together quickly” kind of EP (but feel to correct me if I’m wrong) but it’s one that lines up well enough that you probably didn’t need to spend more time. Heck, cutting the So Hideous track may have actually worked out for the better as I’m guessing it has a level of intensity that would’ve caused a bit too sharp of an increase compared to the rest of the EP, but I didn’t actually listen to it so I don’t know for sure. Regardless, I did enjoy a few songs on this EP, though I also don’t think anything here has convinced me to check out any of these bands aside from maybe revisiting that Kauan album.

And that means...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (#1 - Move Along With the Truth)
« Reply #1135 on: September 27, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
1st Place: Bolsters: The Ghost in You

BT - The Ghost In You (Intro)

First Impressions:
Hey, you included it separately in the track listing so I’m counting it. I am listening to the single track version of this so I actually have no clue where this ends or where the next song begins but this sure is a decent intro. And it’s over, I think. Bye.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah, I’m not going to rate this or include it in the overall runtime of this EP because I’m pretty sure the entirety of this is present in the full song on the EP, so whatever.

Passion Pit – Take a Walk

First Impressions:
Stompy, cheery intro to this one but that gives it a rock edge I like so, yeah, definitely on board with that. I didn’t realize the chorus had started until it was half over, whoops. I think the lyrics are actually a lot darker than the tone of the song would let on but I’m also not entirely sure as I don’t have them in front of me. Maybe a bit lacking in depth beyond that as it does feel a bit one-note but it’s fun enough.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah I think this is another one of those cases where the song is really bright and upbeat but the lyrics are kind of dark/depressing. Though I still haven’t figured out what “take a walk” means in this context. But yeah there’s definitely a lot of lyrics here that make this clearly not that happy of a song.

I am not really a huge fan of the vocal effects on the vocals here. They do fit in the style well, admittedly, I just don’t like how they sound. The backing vocals in the chorus don’t seem to have any effects though and I dig those whoa-aa-ooahs. Really the chorus as a whole is kind of catchy. Not huge on it, not huge on the synth tone especially, but it’s stompy and fun enough.

It does kind of lack depth though, there isn’t really a ton of diversity here – stompy bit for the chorus, quieter bit for the verses, buildup bit for the prechoruses and bridge. The verses are just okay, the prechorus is pretty satisfying as a buildup, and the chorus is nice but does get a little old by the end of this. So in the end… it’s fine enough, sure, but not something I expect myself to come back to that often.

6.5/10 (#25 out of 40)

Tegan and Sara – Faint of Heart

First Impressions:
You’re like the only one who did crossfades and single-tracked the EP like this but the way it’s done here works well enough especially with how the songs are all still separate entities on their own. Anyways this seems like another brighter, cheerier tune. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the effects on the vocals here. I think it’s two of them too but it’s a little hard to tell because those effects make all the voices sound really similar. I don’t really have much else to say about this one, it’s decent but a bit on the generic side and isn’t doing a ton for me on first listen.

Final Thoughts:
Another case where there are two songs from the same artist on an EP and I very decisively prefer one over the other. And not this one. It’s the other one. That’s the one I really like. This one is just… honestly, really generic. At the very least, it doesn’t really hook me in the same way.

The chorus is fine, I guess? Another instance of a synth tone I’m not particularly a fan of. The vocal melody is alright but not that catchy, at least for me. I have had several songs stuck in my head in this round, and this was just not one of them, at all. I guess, the harmonizations are at least pretty alright. That’s about all I really have to say here, it’s just not too memorable or too effective for me.

5.25/10 (#36 out of 40)

Tegan and Sara – Dying to Know

First Impressions:
It’s weird to think this is apparently on the same album as the last track since it has just a completely different vibe to it, it feels like it falls way more in line with modern pop. It also has a way, way better groove to it that I immediately like a lot more. Still some of the same vocal effects I don’t really care for but the voices are at least a bit more distinct here. I guess there’s not a ton more to say about this one but having that groove does make a world of difference in my opinion, though I also feel like this could’ve been a bit shorter than it is.

Final Thoughts:
This one on the other hand… ooh man, I love the groove of this song. Like, that electronic percussion just completely dominates this song but it’s an interesting enough rhythm that has a good groove to it. And the vocals play off it really well, especially that damn chorus. It’s really damn fun and catchy as hell. Especially the first half, the title drop bit is good too but definitely not as strong.

It’s not limited to the chorus though, the verses also have some great vocal bits, they definitely exemplify the pissier side of this song that’s pretty evident in the lyrics. They provided great contrast to the booming chorus that sounds more desperate and very much “not over it”. There’s just, a degree of complex emotions here that makes this more interesting than just another cheery pop track. And the quieter moments give you a bit of room to breathe between the louder choruses.

So yeah. It’s not on the level of the CHVRCHES song previously sent but probably about on the same level as the HAIM track, which was still pretty great. Good stuff, will probably at least look into them further based on this track.

8.25/10 (#6 out of 40)

Glades – Drive

First Impressions:
I guess we’re definitely turning towards the more downbeat stuff now, as of this track. It certainly starts out a lot more dreary than the previous few tracks. I think the percussion is a bit of a detriment to this one, it just feels like an element that’s out of place. There’s a lush atmosphere and ambience to all the instrumentation here besides that one element and if it had focused on that more ethereal sound throughout it’d be more effective, at least to me. I’d still easily say it’s my favorite of the tracks on your EP so far, which means I’m already kind of wishing you’d stuck to the more downbeat stuff, but hey, whatevs.

Final Thoughts:
Mmm… in hindsight I don’t really agree that much with my writeup. This is a lot like the London Grammar song in that it would work better without the more rhythm elements that give a sharp edge to what seems to want to be a more ethereal, atmospheric track, and it never hits a loud enough moment for the buildup in the song to really feel warranted.

Like, yeah, the chorus is somewhat dense in nature, but it still has the guitar and percussion bits going on that I’m not huge on. It just doesn’t strike an emotional chord with me, I guess, and it also has the misfortune of being stuck between two tracks on the EP I do quite like, spoilers by the way. Anyways this ended like a minute ago now I wanna write about the next track so I’m gonna go do that.

6/10 (#30 out of 40)

Amy Shark – Drive You Mad

First Impressions:
Musically it doesn’t feel like this would be too out of place on a Lorde album, though probably more her debut than Melodrama. Even the vocal melodies and phrasing are kind of similar, though her voice is a lot deeper and less breathy, which I’m totally fine with. It’s also got the kind of percussion I wish the previous track had, though also more of it. It’s another nice tune that has a fair bit going on in its atmosphere and pretty solid vocals to carry it. Can’t say it’s standing out hugely but it’s more than pleasant enough to listen to.

Final Thoughts:
I don’t know why you were worried about me disliking that siren synth, because it actually works really dang well? It’s an element that provides a serious degree of tension and contrasts nicely with the vocals. Like, I like how softly the vocals come in, with the siren effect getting more muffled when they come in alongside the piano – but then everything clicks back into place when the chorus starts and provides a satisfying payoff to the tension.

It’s just, a great chill tune. I really like her as a singer, at least on this track – she sells both quiet moments and big emotional climaxes, and the harmonies on the last chorus especially are breathtaking. It’s just… a really powerful track, I would be okay with this one going on longer than it does honestly.

Not really much else to say, I just have no real complaints with this one. It’s right up the alley of the kind of pop I like, it’s memorable, atmospheric, and emotional. That’s… really all I ask for.

Addendum: Okay… I am actually seriously wondering if this isn’t the absolute best track of the entire round now. I gotta do a relisten to Gunship real quick and that’s great to compare them, but this song literally has everything I want in a pop song. It’s on that top-tier level as stuff like Sia’s Chandelier in terms of pop for me. And that final chorus really pushes it over the edge. Whew. Yeah.

9/10 (#2 out of 40)

M83 – Another Wave From You

First Impressions:
Hmm. As an interlude track this is actually pretty nice, atmospheric and kind of massive by its peak, actually wish it was longer. But it’s already over so you know. That was nice.

Final Thoughts:
Umm? I am really pissed that this is as short as it is? This is a fantastic ambient piece. The breadth of the music when it hits its peak is fantastic, so many tiny things going on but there’s just enough rhythm to keep it also having this driving feel to it. Like, the only bad thing about this track is that it isn’t three times longer so I could really let it wash over me but damned if this isn’t still great regardless.

8.5/10 (#5 out of 40)

Gunship – Tech Noir

First Impressions:
Didn’t you have this album cover as your icon for some time? I’m pretty sure you did. I dig the darker intro of this even with the spoken word stuff going on, it builds up the atmosphere quite nicely. A bit less a fan of the 80’s synth stuff when the song kicks in proper but it’s relatively downplayed and not too intrusive. The climax of this also has some really great atmosphere going on too & feels like a proper climax for what the song has been building to. I dunno, I dug this more than I was expecting to, it feels like a very complete song with several moments that really clicked with me. Ending felt a touch abrupt though.

Final Thoughts:
Congrats. The intro of this song is one of the best uses of spoken word stuff I’ve ever heard, probably. That synth bit feels goddamn cinematic and it’s pretty solidly atmospheric too, it feels just absolutely natural for there to be narration over it. And it’s low enough in the mix to kind of blend in without overwhelming the music.

Anyways then this kicks in with a chill groove that the song rides  on for a bit. I’m fine with the verses, they’re nice. But hot damn. That chorus actually sounds utterly terrifying in the best possible way, and it’s memorable as heck too, I had it bouncing around in my head after just a single listen here. It’s nice to have the quieter bits in between those peaks of the song to give the listener a bit of room to breathe and it’s not like the verses don’t sound just as polished as the rest, they’re good.

Hell, I’m even forgiving of the 80’s synths because they absolutely fit the aesthetic. When I think of a “tech noir” film, I think of Blade Runner. Guess what. The synths sound like Blade Runner synths. It’s probably at least somewhat intentional here. Oh, and that bridge, just building up an insane amount of tension before letting it break free with that wailing bit into the last chorus. The vocal melody on that bit sounds really familiar but I can’t quite put a finger on it. I do think the song does kind of end abruptly though.

But yeah overall? Whew. Best song of the entire EP round, almost certainly. Not quite on the level of the best stuff in the roulette, but still, pretty damn close. Very few complaints, and it goes way beyond a lot of the other, more simpler songs on this EP in terms of composition too. Like I said, it feels very complete, aside from the very abrupt ending. Definitely can see why this would be your AOTY if the rest of the album is up to this bar of quality.

9/10 (#1 out of 40)

Amy Shark – Adore

First Impressions:
Another track that fits nicely into the “laidback rock tune”. Though this one feels almost a bit too minimalistic at times, and I’m not a fan of the percussion here either. It feels too loud compared to the rest of the mix, and a bit too robotic against the lusher, more natural tones of the instrumentation and vocals. Yeah, that really does kind of overshadow the rest of the song in an unfortunate way. The vocals here are, again, pretty solid though and easily the highlight of this one. Just wish the instrumental backing did more for me.

Final Thoughts:
Mmm… this one just doesn’t quite work for me. I know from the other song on this EP that she can sell emotion really well, but in this track it sounds like she’s just kind of half-drunk all song. Maybe that’s the aesthetic it’s going for, it’s literally a line in the chorus, but there’s just a lumbering, seasick vibe to a lot of the vocal melodies I’m not a fan of.

And I really am not huge on that percussion either, it feels out of place compared to the rest of the instrumentation here. The guitar line is nice, there’s decent atmosphere, but you have this blatantly fake percussion just kind of ruining the atmosphere.

Another case where I just wish I liked this more than I do, it’s not bad, not one of the weakest tracks on the EP or even in the round but it definitely doesn’t do much for me, especially compared to the other song by her this round. Also, again, it’s stuck between two much better tracks. So that doesn’t help either.

5.75/10 (#33 out of 40)

BT – The Ghost in You

First Impressions:
And back to this one that you chopped the intro off of before, I guess, cool. The guitar sound is definitely a nice change of pace on this one, it’s got a lot of clean, natural tone to it. Better than the previous track for sure. And the quiet roaring guitar distortions in the background provide atmosphere I really dig. It makes the song feel pretty tense throughout, just waiting for the moment when it’s really going to explode. The vocal tone and melodies feel a little standard but they’re fine enough for what they are. And oh, there’s female vocals in there too eventually. Yeah, it definitely reaches a more full sound by the end of the track that makes the build more satisfying. Though it maybe stays at that peak a little too briefly, feels like there was more that could’ve been done there. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of that drum break either but it’s short enough so, ehh. I think it’s the next song now so I’m gonna switch to writing for that one, okay.

Final Thoughts:
I do think you are kind of right when you thought I’d find this a bit too slow-paced. Or at the very least, it feels like it takes a bit too long to get to the real meat of the song. Not that I mind the long instrumental intro – there’s a lot of texture to it and it’s all pretty gorgeous stuff really. But the song just does not really get going until the vocals kick in.

I mean, even then it’s a pretty downbeat track, there’s like no percussion besides the drums near the end. But those vocal melodies are pretty solid, both the verses and chorus – though I think I honestly prefer the verses to the chorus, the emotion is sold a bit better there in the singer’s softer tones – whereas when he’s giving it his all on the chorus, it feels a bit lacking in comparison, a bit dry.

Also this is a total nitpick, but I hate the stuttering effect on the line of female vocals near the end. Every single time I think the CD is skipping, except that I’m not even listening to a CD, just mp3 files on my computer. I skipped over the bridge, woops. I like the bridge, it’s kind of a louder verse but that’s okay – and the last chorus I do think does actually sell the emotion much better than the previous choruses, but I’m not sure why he couldn’t have done that for every chorus. Ehh, whatever.

At the end of the day I do like this one but it doesn’t blow me away either, and having it be the only lengthy track and the track the EP was named after I guess I was expecting to be a bit more impressed by it? I still like it but it’s just that, not much beyond “like”.

7.5/10 (#15 out of 40)

M83 – Outro

First Impressions:
This is… hmm. More ambient stuff I guess but then it like, just cuts out for low rumbling noise. Okay and then it builds up to something. The start of this is just kind of weird then, huh. This is certainly a pretty satisfying climax for the EP as a whole, really both this and the shorter track before had some really good atmosphere so maybe I should actually care about this band at least a little. Yeah, as a way to close the EP and tie everything together I think this does its job quite well and is a pretty solid track on its own too.

Final Thoughts:
As an ambient track and finale for the entire EP, I do like this, but… honestly? The shorter interlude track just hits upon this kind of atmosphere a bit better for me. But I do appreciate having more of it here, and this is still a pretty damn solid track on its own.

I think it does at least get pretty damn close though, especially the last minute and a half or so. You have the guitars, strings, synths, and drums all coming together for a satisfying emotional climax and a nice piano bit for some falling action. It’s just not quite the level of overwhelming and I think the big difference is the lack of driving tension that the other track has.

But I sort of feel like I’m nitpicking.  Aside from that the entire first minute of this feels a bit disconnected from the rest, it’s still a pretty solid track and a nice way to close the EP. Obviously not the kind of thing that’d work so well on its own but I do include context in my scores for EP songs because I kind of have to. So yeah, solid stuff for sure.

8/10 (#8 out of 40)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
Overall EP Thoughts:
I think there are a few weird moments with the transitions here that hurt the flow score a little bit but the way all the songs are sequenced makes a lot of sense, at least for the most part. Though it’s not my least favorite of the entire bunch, I think Adore feels kind of out of place where it is, though I really don’t know how you could’ve followed up the Gunship track well.

As far as diversity goes I think this does a great job, there are only a few songs I feel were a bit too similar – obviously the two Tegan and Sara songs are kind of in the same vein, though one is far better than the other, and Drive and Adore both kind of feel like they hit in a similar vein, or at least have a few of the same problems that make me not as big a fan of them. But beyond that every track feels like it does have its value here, even if the quality is a bit inconsistent. And it’s pretty cohesive too, I think the transition from the brighter stuff to the darker tones, and eventually back to a nicer and triumphant song towards the end is all done well.

Overall your EP was the longest of the bunch and yet it had less issues with keeping me interested than some of the shorter EPs, which I think speaks to how good this EP is as a whole – honestly, as a whole it’s probably the best EP I’ve received in any of my roulettes, though the song quality isn’t quite up there with the very best tracks from Seneca’s or Home’s EPs. But yeah, I was pretty satisfied with this one and I’d be surprised if the points don’t add up for you to win the whole thing at the end of the day.

8/10

Song Score Breakdown:

Total EP Length: 39:38 -> 2378 seconds (I know the single file is shorter but hell with trying to time that stuff dude)

Take a Walk - 4:24 -> 264 seconds
264/2378 = .111
6.5 * .111 = 0.7215

Faint of Heart - 2:55 -> 175 seconds
175/2378 = .074
5.25 * .074 = 0.3885

Dying to Know - 3:37 -> 217 seconds
217/2378 = .091
8.25 * .091 = 0.75075

Drive - 3:07 -> 187 seconds
187/2378 = .079
6 * .079 = 0.474

Drive You Mad - 3:32 -> 212 seconds
212/2378 = .089
9 * .089 = 0.801

Another Wave From You - 1:53 -> 113 seconds
113/2378 = .048
8.5 * .048 = 0.408

Tech Noir - 4:57 -> 297 seconds
297/2378 = .125
9 * .125 = 1.125

Adore - 3:05 -> 185 seconds
185/2378 = .078
5.75 * .078 = 0.4485

The Ghost in You - 7:57 -> 477 seconds
477/2378 = .201
7.5 * .201 = 1.5075

Outro - 4:07 -> 247 seconds
247/2378 = .104
8 * .104 = 0.832

Sum: 7.45675
EP Song Score: 7.45675 * 3 = 22.37
EP Score: 8
Bonus Points: 0

Final EP Score: 30.37/40

I actually thought this EP would pull way ahead of the others score-wise when I saw how Luke's EP point total ended up, but it was only a slight step above how other EPs scored songwise and I think a big chunk of that is how a lot of the really good scores only made a minor impact in the long run due to the sheer number of songs on this EP. As well, the only significantly long song got a fairly middling score. But even scoring a flow point less than Train this EP still came out on top in the end, and honestly that's the result I feel like I'm most satisfied by. Hell, this would've come out on top even on song score alone. But yeah, this was the EP I liked the most so I'm glad to see it come out on top. And glad I decided on a whim to give you pity entry into the last round, haha. I wouldn't have done it if it had been only one or the other, but both at the same time... yeah. So anyways congrats on winning my roulette I guess?

Also yes. I had to split up the post. Geez.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1137 on: September 27, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
EP Songs Final Ranking
1.   Gunship – Tech Noir
2.   Amy Shark – Drive You Mad
3.   Amendfoil – Darken Waters
4.   Glassjaw – Cosmopolitan Blood Loss
5.   M83 – Another Wave From You
6.   Tegan and Sara – Dying to Know
7.   Glassjaw – Ape Dos Mil
8.   M83 – Outro
9.   Kvelertak – Ulvetid
10.   Moon Safari – Too Young to Say Goodbye
11.   Killer Be Killed – Wings of Feather and Wax
12.   Wardruna – Odal
13.   Kvelertak – Sultans of Satan
14.   Kauan – IV
15.   BT – The Ghost in You
16.   Fishmans – Long Season Pt. 5
17.   Tusks – Toronto
18.   No-Man – Back When You Where Beautiful
19.   In Mourning – From a Tidal Sleep
20.   Agents of Mercy – Between Sun and Moon
21.   Pressure Points – Between the Lies
22.   Ghost Brigade – Elämä on Tulta
23.   White Moth Black Butterfly – Rising Sun
24.   Saltillo – Giving In
25.   Passion Pit – Take a Walk
26.   Talk Talk – After the Flood
27.   Wardruna – Raido
28.   The Flower Kings – Poor Mr. Rain’s Ordinary Guitar
29.   In Vain – Image of Time
30.   Glades – Drive
31.   No-Man – Song of the Surf
32.   Buckethead – For Mom
33.   Amy Shark – Adore
34.   Kylesa – Unspoken
35.   Les Discrets – Song for Mountains
36.   Tegan and Sara – Faint of Heart
37.   Karmakanic – Turn it Up
38.   Karmakanic – Alex in Paradise
39.   Saltillo – I’m on the Wrong Side
40.   The Flower Kings – My Cosmic Lover

And that's that I guess? I'm gonna do a "best of" 2CD set over the weekend, one disc of lighter stuff and one disc of metal stuff, there's definitely enough for both. But beyond that the roulette is, finally, over.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1138 on: September 27, 2017, 07:27:25 PM »
Shit, that only took 6 months!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
four and a half months, for 11 full-sized rounds and one EP round with 6 EPs

plus i like doing really detailed writeups which take a while to do, shut up  :loser:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1140 on: September 27, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
That's like going to Roulette Boot Camp!  ;D

Those are some detailed writeups.  Let me guess, you were an English Major with a Minor in Statistics, or vice versa.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1141 on: September 27, 2017, 07:58:07 PM »
I won a Parama roulette? How the fuck did that happen? :lol

I'm rather surprised with some of those song rankings too. Obviously I sent Tech Noir because I thought you'd dig the atmosphere of it, but at the same time I know that 80's style production isn't your thing for the mostpart, and I kind of expected it to be one of the lower-ranked of my EP's tracks; I never would have expected it to make it to #1. Funnily enough some of the songs I had second thoughts about after sending (Adore) were the lower ranked ones, too. All in all I'd say some of my better choices were deduced but still a lot of them I was just plain lucky that you liked them that much.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1142 on: September 27, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »
That's like going to Roulette Boot Camp!  ;D

Those are some detailed writeups.  Let me guess, you were an English Major with a Minor in Statistics, or vice versa.
Computer Science actually  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1143 on: September 27, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »
Hell yeah, got you to check out no albums at all this round :metal I seem to get away with mediocre EP songs a lot lately, making up with it by having higher-than-average EP flow

I thought about the So Hideous track just yesterday, and thought the exact same. It's probably a good thing it got cut for the sake of EP flow. I agree with placing the Wardruna songs further apart, Raido is clearly better in every way, and I would agree with the Les Discrets thoughts (about missing those hardhitting moments) if I didn't love that main guitar motif so much

Congratulations Bolsters! :metal Though obviously I purposely lost this, I just thought it was time for someone else to win a roulette, but still congrats
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1144 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:48 AM »
The "wildcard" wins the whole thing, how appropriate :corn Congrats Bolsters! And of course thanks to Parama for running this.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1145 on: September 28, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
The fact that Gun Ship was the best song of the final round simply confirms what we both already knew... we are not a match.

Holy fuck do you have the gift of gab!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1146 on: September 28, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »
You wouldn't like my favorite metal tunes in this roulette either  :corn

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1147 on: September 28, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
You wouldn't like my favorite metal tunes in this roulette either  :corn

;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: September 28, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »
Congrats Bolsters!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1149 on: September 28, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
Well done Bolsters! I'll definitely wait for the "Best of Roulette" thing  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1150 on: September 28, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
Yea, cheers for this Parama. If nothing else, we can always rely on you for in depth analysis of EVERY aspect of each song. I know you have a better ear than me as you often describe things you hear in my submissions, that make me think "I can't remember hearing that in there?", only to find you are indeed right  :lol

Once again though, I'm just chuffed to have gotten this far. I don't think I would struggle half as much to find things to send in anyone else's roulette. As in, I feel I have a grasp of what you really dislike (of which I have quite a lot of) but luckily I discovered a few bands during this that I thought you'd dig (along with some stuff in my library that you didn't already know). Still can't actually believe that you loved Amends by The Ongoing Concept as much as you did  :eek  glad though.

I'd love to host another roulette one day but reading all this reminds me how much hard work it all is!!!!

Well done Bolsters! I'll definitely wait for the "Best of Roulette" thing  :corn

also, +1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Roulette Best-Of Discs)
« Reply #1151 on: October 08, 2017, 12:29:14 AM »
Didn't get time to make these as quickly as I wanted to, but, here are the best-of roulette discs!

CD 1: Crystalline Snow
CD 2: Spiraling Flame

As may be evident from the names, the first disc is lighter and contains no metal tracks while the second disc is exclusively the more metal tracks.
I am intentionally not saying what songs are on each & I have tracked both as a single file, so listen and find out~
I will say that each disc has songs from only 4 people each, and only one person made it onto both discs, with 3 people being left out entirely. Just the way it happens, the focus here was picking the best songs possible and I think I'm satisfied with my answers.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1152 on: October 08, 2017, 01:07:38 AM »
I guess it's time to use Google's music recognizer :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: October 08, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »
you're a scrub, it's no wonder you didn't make it into my roulette

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1154 on: October 08, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »
I guess it's time to use Google's music recognizer :P
It's just that one Opeth song the whole time anyway
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!