Author Topic: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)  (Read 68677 times)

Offline LordCost

Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Round 10 First Impressions)
« Reply #980 on: September 03, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
I don't think my song has received 3/10, it's probably around  6

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #981 on: September 03, 2017, 04:58:03 AM »
I knew my song was bad but not this bad :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #982 on: September 03, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
To tide you all over while I finish up relistens here's tidbits from the round 10 writeups.
Warning: No "being nice" filter on these like on the first impressions  :corn

Like I said it all sounds nice but there’s nothing that grabs me or sticks out, nothing to make me go “oh yeah this is that song”. I am listening to this for the fifth time now and I feel like I’m still just hearing it for the first time.

This song… hmm. I really have had a hard time holding any sort of opinion towards it, either positive or negative. It’s not a bad song by any means, certainly not, but there’s just… not a lot about it that makes it stand out or makes it particularly memorable.

But is it memorable, does it stand out it any way, does it have any real emotional weight, does it justify its runtime? I’d have to answer no to all of these questions and that’s a bit disappointing in the end.

Mostly I am just wondering what qualities about this made it worth sending to you, though? I don’t see how anyone could get passionate over this song, how this could be anyone’s “jam”. I can see that with a lot of the other songs in this roulette, but there’s just… so little personality to this one.

But here… honestly it feels like he’s just checked out, making his voice sound as rough as possible without putting any feeling or emotion into it, and it just sounds plain unpleasant to listen to.

As a whole… I can see why you like this, this definitely feels like something you’d be more into than I am, but I still like it, I just can’t say my feelings go far beyond “yeah, it’s solid”. Not especially memorable, doesn’t really grab me in any way, has a few glaring flaws, but it’s pleasant overall and has decent energy to it.

I don’t think I’ve immediately fallen in love with a roulette song this hard since Limousine back in my very first roulette. And unlike some other songs that left a really good first impression but grew weaker over time, yeah, this one just continued being awesome.

I honestly can’t stand this much at all. I plan to do another relisten for this round just to solidify my scores but I will be excluding this song when I do because I never want to hear it again in my life. I’m almost worried my score here is too nice to this one.

This song, though, just falls flat because the lyrics are so impersonal and broad in their nature. What is this song about?

It hasn’t been invading my brainspace much at all in the past week and a half, I didn’t even really remember how it goes until about 15 seconds into the song. But that doesn’t necessarily mean I dislike it.

And here's the scores at the moment:
3.0 - 5.25 - 6.25 - 6.5 - 6.5 - 6.75 - 7.0 - 7.5 - 8.0 - 9.0

Still not 100% sure how this is gonna play out since I do have the secondary judge scores already & know who's going to the final round automatically because of them, but I haven't put together the relisten scores I have & this round's scores yet to see where everything here pans out. Might be exciting & might end up with 4 people in the finals, but might only be 3, I really have no clue. I'm not even going to see how the scores add up until I've solidified and locked in all my opinions just to keep myself in suspense  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #983 on: September 03, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
I am not confident at all, pretty sure I'm in the 'below 6.5' bracket. I enjoyed this roulette but have pretty much blown my chance of progressing to EP land....

Unless you've come to your senses and rescored King Prawn with a 7/10  :corn

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #984 on: September 03, 2017, 05:49:11 PM »
LOL now I'm actually scared I sent that 3.0 :lol c'mon it's not that bad :P

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #985 on: September 04, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
Mostly I am just wondering what qualities about this made it worth sending to you, though? I don’t see how anyone could get passionate over this song, how this could be anyone’s “jam”. I can see that with a lot of the other songs in this roulette, but there’s just… so little personality to this one.

As a whole… I can see why you like this, this definitely feels like something you’d be more into than I am, but I still like it, I just can’t say my feelings go far beyond “yeah, it’s solid”. Not especially memorable, doesn’t really grab me in any way, has a few glaring flaws, but it’s pleasant overall and has decent energy to it.

I honestly can’t stand this much at all. I plan to do another relisten for this round just to solidify my scores but I will be excluding this song when I do because I never want to hear it again in my life. I’m almost worried my score here is too nice to this one.

This song, though, just falls flat because the lyrics are so impersonal and broad in their nature. What is this song about?

And here's the scores at the moment:
3.0 - 5.25 - 6.25 - 6.5 - 6.5 - 6.75

So, I fall somewhere in that.  I'm not over 7.0 and one of those write-ups is mine (gun to head, I would pick the "impersonal lyrics" as the actual one for my song.).

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #986 on: September 04, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
Results when

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #987 on: September 05, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »
Train of Naught – Artificial Language – These Aren’t Mirages

I will fully admit that my frustration with this song probably contributed to a lower score than it deserved, because there are good moments here – the “stars cross and implode” bits in particular are the moments where atmosphere and feels takes precedence over prog wank, though it’s still there in the background. And this is genuinely the most frustrating song of the roulette because I’d love to like this more than I do. But I just fail to understand why they built over half the song around one not particularly strong melody? It gets annoying. I’m feeling a bit kinder to this now but it’s still among the weakest songs in the roulette.

6.25/10 (+.75)

Bolsters – MØ - Red in the Grey

Was a little on the fence with this one to begin with and I think it’s a little better than I gave it credit for – not super into it still but it’s fun enough and that chorus is pretty solid, so, ehh.

7/10 (+.25)

Stadler – Marillion – Neverland

Mmyeah this is definitely the kind of song where listening to it a lot makes it feel weaker but putting some time between it and then coming back to it made it better upon relisten. So basically just, don’t spin this one a lot, is what you’re supposed to do, sure.

7.75/10 (+.5)

Evermind – Suspyre – Reign

On relisten this at least got some reaction out of me, which I can’t really say for most of this round, so. It’s probably that chorus, it’s a good chorus.

7.75/10 (+.25)

Evermind – Airbag – Broken

Ehh, relistening to this one it’s really quite nice and the 7.75 I gave it feels just a bit too low. So yeah. Nothing new to say on it really.

8/10 (+.25)

Luoto: Nerve End – Thrive

I think what really makes this work are the vocals, they’re right up my alley. I was already a bit uncertain about my score before & I liked this a fair bit on relisten so I figured I’d bump this up a tiny bit, yeah.

8.25/10 (+.25)

LordCost: Black Peaks – Saviour

This is a little unfair because this is the only roulette album I’ve bought & given a lot of listens to at this point, but I mean, the song only got better? So, you know.

9/10 (+.25)

Updated Standings:
Luoto – 79.25
Nekov – 76
home – 75
Bolsters – 75.25
twosuitsluke – 74.25
Train of Naught – 74
Evermind – 73.75
LordCost – 73.25
Tomislav95 – 72.75
Stadler – 69

Again not too many updated standings here but hey maybe it'll make a difference?  :corn
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:08:44 AM by Parama »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #988 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »
Round 10 Results

home: NO BS! Brass Band – Khan

First Impressions:
Sorry about the vid only available in the US but I couldn’t find anything else. Anyways this kind of gimmick band is often one I can find interesting but also tends to not do a ton for me beyond the initial interest. I checked out Brain Tentacles last year which had a decent concept for a band but the songwriting wasn’t there and I got bored of it really quickly. Like the song itself is pretty fine? I’m not sure why this specifically has to be all brass though, or if that was the right compositional choice. You certainly *can* have this song be all brass but some of these instruments could easily be guitar, bass, violin, piano, whatever you want and it wouldn’t make a difference, and would probably make the song more dynamically diverse. Also the random screaming is weird. I will say, it’s a somewhat fun sounding song and there’s some impressive soloing on it. That’s about all I can say positive on this though, unfortunately. Don’t really expect you to make the finals after this entry, I don’t think this is going to grow on me, if anything it’s likely to get worse.

Final Thoughts:
I did find the main motif of this kind of memorable in the end. Not in a good way. Oh lord not in a good way. It plays throughout way too much of the song and it’s almost inevitable for it get stuck in my head after several listens. But god did I wish it didn’t. Because I don’t like it. I don’t  like this at all. I don’t like any of this at all. Genuinely thinking this may be my least favorite song of the entire roulette.

And it is exactly the problem I mentioned in my writeup. Decent concept. Weak songwriting. Got bored of it quickly. And I didn’t even really like this that much to begin with. For starters. I don’t tend to like brass sounds on their own. I like some horns adding flourishes to a song, providing a solid climax. But I think the instruments themselves lack a lot of elements that basically all other types of instruments have. There’s a significant lack of dynamics and the tones always just sound stiff. And it’s not a tone that sounds very good to begin with. It’s just like a more aggressive sounding saxophone that loses the slickness that instrument is capable of.

And the random screaming of “Khan” is stupid too. It’s completely out of place and I assume this entire song is probably a star trek reference I don’t get because of that but I have no clue really. If there’s one part of this song I do like it’s those quiet moments, but don’t think I don’t notice that it’s basically just the same section repeated twice. It sounds nice and breaks up the monotony of the rest of the song well enough, but it’s maybe 30 seconds total in a over 5 minute song and definitely isn’t enough to salvage this.

Also I previously complimented the soloing on a technical level, but listening to it over and over again, it actually sounds pretty awful. It’s fast yeah but there’s a wild lack of tonality that just doesn’t fit. And the song ends really abruptly too, not even any cooldown period.

I just. Honestly can’t find much of anything to like in this. There’s one part I kind of like repeated twice throughout, and the rest of this is just two variations of one main riff with one okay recurring melody and some inane, wanky soloing. Nothing wows me and a lot of it is just plain unpleasant.

I honestly can’t stand this much at all. I plan to do another relisten for this round just to solidify my scores but I will be excluding this song when I do because I never want to hear it again in my life. I’m almost worried my score here is too nice to this one. And yeah, it’s absolutely no question you won’t be making the finals with a score this low, but I can’t really apologize for that when I’ve just gotta be honest about my feelings here.

Quick addition since I forgot to remove this from my relistens and decided… ehh. I might be giving this a bit too little credit, the main bits of this song kind of suck but the melodies are okay (the bit that pops up over the main riff and the quiet bits) and make this at least… not completely insufferable the whole way through, though there’s still a lot I dislike here. So ehh. The score bump isn’t going to save your score either way though, unfortunately.

4.25/10

Stadler: Motörhead – One Track Mind

First Impressions:
Ahh, here’s a band I’ve heard a fair few songs from but have never been particular into. Though this seems to be a bit slower paced than any other song I’ve heard from them, so, fair enough. I may have to see if I can find a better video for this one, this one seems a bit… quiet for one, and kind of shaky quality-wise though I checked to make sure it was at least 480p so I dunno. And I’m sorry, RIP Lemmy and all but I have never and probably will never be a fan of his vocal style, it just has no appeal for me in the slightest. There’s a solid groove running throughout this that I can appreciate, at the very least, and for the most part it doesn’t sound unpleasant. But that’s kind of the nicest thing I can say here, it’s just very much not for me. Not awful or anything but not much beyond that.

Final Thoughts:
And of all the entries you’ve sent me, this is probably my least favorite of them all. I don’t even really know why. It’s less having a lot negative qualities as much as it is just a lack of positive qualities.

Okay, let’s start with this: I don’t like Lemmy’s vocals here at all. I have heard other Motörhead songs and while I was never a fan of his vocals on them, they never annoyed me this much either. But here… honestly it feels like he’s just checked out, making his voice sound as rough as possible without putting any feeling or emotion into it, and it just sounds plain unpleasant to listen to.

As far as the rest of this song… to my ears it just sounds like one repeating groove occasionally broken up by the chorus. And there’s occasionally some stuff happening on top of the groove. Some bright sounding guitar leads. A rather shreddy and not particularly appealing guitar solo. Like I said previously the groove is solid, but it isn’t that memorable either and I’m just not too into it at all.

I don’t even know what more I can say about this. I’ve already said this style of hard rock & early metal never really appeals to me much and this is just solidifying that in my mind. It doesn’t even have the energy that makes other Motörhead songs I’ve heard at least somewhat interesting. It’s a mid-paced snoozer with bad vocals and nothing to really hook me in. Far, far from the worst track this round, but not something I see myself ever returning to either.

5.25/10

Nekov: Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk – Chasing Rainbows

First Impressions:
Okay from the first 50 seconds or so I was expecting something a bit more downbeat and then I get slammed in the face with a funk groove. Works for me, ‘cause I mean it’s a pretty solid groove. Though now halfway through the song and I’m waiting for vocals to show up and realizing it’s probably an instrumental. So it’s kind of like… post-rock with a bit of a rock/funk groove to it? That’s certainly a combination alright. I dunno it makes it a lot more fun than the genre usually is but also gives more atmosphere to the groovy nature of the song and I think they complement each other pretty well. I can see myself tiring of this quickly though, so we’ll see. Also the sound quality seems to suffer during the louder parts of this a little I’m gonna check if it’s just the video but I don’t think it is… which is worrisome. …nope, it’s just that video, so I replaced it with a better one, okay.

Final Thoughts:
I usually try not to let the secondary judge scores or comments affect my opinion of songs much and I’d say for the most part I’ve succeeded. But the secondary judge this round said something about this track that just instantly ruined it for me.

This is just… a generic background music track. Like this is just something you’d play in the back of some shelled out, bland product, or as like the soundtrack to some instructional video made in the 90’s. Like, okay, if I’m being fair a lot of music is like that – I know Explosions in the Sky gets used as background music for inspirational videos and movies quite a lot, and yeah, they don’t really feel out of place there, but… at least their music inspires emotions?

I mean, not the entire song is like that, at the very least. During the louder and more atmospheric moments there’s at least something there. Some warmth emanating from this song, some power and emotion bubbling up from the surface.

There really isn’t a lot of substance here in the end though. It starts quiet, it builds up a groove, it reaches a climax with that groove, cools down a bit, then goes back to a louder bit with some added synth stuff, the end. And of course it’s atmospheric music more than anything else so there’s not a ton going on here instrumentally, though it isn’t dull or anything, I’ll give it that.

In the end, it’s an okay and inoffensive song, but it’s not one I see myself remembering much about in the future – heck, it’s barely memorable to me now, having listened to it a fair number of times already. Mostly I am just wondering what qualities about this made it worth sending to you, though? I don’t see how anyone could get passionate over this song, how this could be anyone’s “jam”. I can see that with a lot of the other songs in this roulette, but there’s just… so little personality to this one.

I dunno, Maybe I’m letting that one comment get to me a bit too much but I also can’t just ignore it entirely. Just gotta be fair as ever.

6.25/10

Evermind: Evergrey – Hymns for the Broken (Piano Version)

First Impressions:
Well, it’s a solid piano ballad. Both vocalists put a lot of passion into this and the piano does at least do a good job of matching their emotion, it definitely works as a ballad. But it’s probably not going to score great points unless I can find a real emotional sticking point, because there’s not much else here. Like that’s all I can really say.

Final Thoughts:
Piano ballads, and really ballads in general, need to have really good lyrics to work for me. Really personal and intimate lyrics. Like, I’ve been listening to the new Lorde album recently and there’s a track on their, Liability, that’s just… otherworldly in terms of the emotional potency it delivers through piano ballad form, because of how personal and passionate the lyrics (and the tone of her voice) is. That’s a ballad that works goddamn well.

And heck in the scope of DT we even have a good example – Disappear is very much about a specific topic and it’s utterly heartbreaking and emotional, a bit more complex of a song to be sure but it runs on the same idea. Hospice by The Antlers is basically an entire album full of really intimate and personal lyrics like that too, though wrapped up in a metaphor, but it’s clear the struggle and feelings the protagonist are experiencing.

This song, though, just falls flat because the lyrics are so impersonal and broad in their nature. What is this song about? The singers wanna disappear, but why? The chorus is uplifting in its tone but for what reason? What do these people have in common other than feeling sad? It’s just… nothing.

The song itself? It sounds fine. Both are plenty capable singers and emote well enough. But it’s weird to hear them passionately sing about such a nothing song. Maybe these lyrics are deeply personal and powerful to them but I don’t see it myself. And the piano, it’s pretty basic but it sticks to a few main motifs and it never overshadows the singers but gives a good foundation to the song. In terms of actually sounding decent, it passes just fine. I don’t dislike this at all.

But the emotional disconnect present here means my feelings towards this basically end at “it sounds pretty” which is not enough for me. Especially when there are so many better, more emotive ballads out there that do the same thing better.

6.5/10

LordCost: Tomahawk – Point and Click

First Impressions:
I know you basically don’t care anymore anyways but. A three minute song in my roulette is always a bit underwhelming, that’s like barely a song yo! I dig the bass groove this starts out with though… but I’ve never been a huge fan of Mike Patton as a singer and have probably said as much by now.  There’s a ton of noises in the background creating a kind of sinister atmosphere and the vocals do actually fit that tone well too. It kind of feels like it’s holding on to tension without ever releasing it but if it does at the end then that’ll probably work well. And yeah seems like there’s a loud part right at the end. Well then. Yeah, it’s alright.

Final Thoughts:
This song… hmm. I really have had a hard time holding any sort of opinion towards it, either positive or negative. It’s not a bad song by any means, certainly not, but there’s just… not a lot about it that makes it stand out or makes it particularly memorable. I’ve listened to it as much as the other songs here but aside from “has a cool bass groove” I couldn’t tell you much about this song unless I was actually listening to it.

Which I am, right now, of course, and even then I don’t have much to say. It’s quite a short song and it’s basically just a buildup to the loud bit near the end. There is atmosphere here, yes, but it’s often not too dense, though it has its moments. It’s mostly driven by the bass chugging and the sinister-sounding vocals, and it sets a mood fine certainly. It’s just not a mood I find myself really digging. It’s not a style of music I can ever get too into.

I don’t really feel like this is a bad song by any means, all the pieces are in place for it to function the way it wants to. I guess if anything, the climax feels a bit underwhelming and brief and they could probably have taken it further, but… the entire song is so brief as it is anyways.

I don’t dislike this song at all, as I’ve said, but there’s not a lot for me here that makes me want to return to it either. It’s alright. It’s a bit lacking on substance and a bit too short for what it’s going for, in my opinion; there’s no real hook besides that bass groove and the vocals don’t really do it for me. But I can see why someone would like this a lot. I just… don’t, really.

6.5/10

Bolsters: The Naked and Famous – Laid Low

First Impressions:
I am just not sure what I expected here but it’s apparently somewhere between rock and synthpop? Like I dunno I’m finding this to be Very Much Not My Thing on first listen and have basically nothing else to say. Like the vocals are fine and the song is fun enough but it doesn’t really click for me. I do appreciate the way the rock and pop instrumentation work together to make the chorus heavier but still as fun as the rest of the song. Maybe this will grow on me, I dunno, a few of your other songs did, so.

Final Thoughts:
So I know for certain that I didn’t find this one as memorable as some of the better pop tracks you sent me. It hasn’t been invading my brainspace much at all in the past week and a half, I didn’t even really remember how it goes until about 15 seconds into the song. But that doesn’t necessarily mean I dislike it.

It also definitely means I don’t love it though, a pop song that fails to be memorable and catchy is definitely doing something wrong. That one synth line is kind of catchy but that’s really the only part of this that pops out to me. The vocals are… really understated & have so much goddamn reverb on them that they don’t hit with any power. And the melodies are kind of sugary nothingness, not unpleasant to listen to but they don’t have any real hook power to them.

I don’t think the sound of the song is unpleasant though. There’s a solid energy running through this, it’s decently dynamic throughout, giving the song plenty of room to breathe, and the ending definitely hits upon a solid climax. Though there’s something bothering me about the offbeat title drops that show up in the chorus… it’s just weird and off and I can’t really understand why they made that decision the way they did.

In the end… I can’t say this is a bad song, but it’s a bit inconsequential and just not very memorable. I can totally see the appeal but for me it doesn’t hit the same notes that stuff like Purity Ring and CHVRCHES did that really made me love those tracks.

6.75/10
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:46:58 AM by Parama »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #989 on: September 05, 2017, 12:40:51 AM »
Tomislav95: Downfall of Nur – The Golden Age

First Impressions:
Well this is going to be the longest song of the entire roulette since EP rounds I won’t allow something this long, okay. And it’s supposedly black metal but you wouldn’t be able to tell from the start since it starts out with piano and acoustic guitar and flute and all that. I get the sense this is going in a somewhat folky direction though, yeah. Okay and at the four minute mark we  finally get some metal, this certainly took its time but I’m okay with that really. Oooh those drums don’t sound too great when the blastbeats finally kick in. Huh, interesting change of pace at around 8 minutes, turns to a lot more upbeat sound mostly on the basis of the drums alone. The vocals here are… here but kind of downplayed. For how good the quieter parts sound production-wise it’s a bit weird how lo-fi the heavy stuff is. I realize I somehow didn’t finish this writeup. I think this works from an atmospheric standpoint and I think stylistically it accomplishes what it’s trying to do. I just don’t know if it’s particularly interesting and the weird production choices hold it back a bit for me, as well.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah, there’s just one thing I’ve very consistently thought about this song with every listen. It’s just… too long. Like, maybe not on its own, but in a roulette setting… well, suffice to say listening to this song once takes up more of my time than listening to some of the shorter songs 5 times. And yet I get much less value out of a single listen of this than I do 5 listens of the best song this round.

Like, is this bad? No, not at all. It’s a very fine black metal tune. But is it memorable, does it stand out it any way, does it have any real emotional weight, does it justify its runtime? I’d have to answer no to all of these questions and that’s a bit disappointing in the end. The folky quiet bits are nice but not enough to substantiate the song on its own, and the actual metal here… doesn’t do much for me.

There’s one motif around the middle of the song that I do like, but it only shows up for a short while and is soon drowned out by less interesting metal. Like, sure, there is some intensity and power here, but for one, the drums really undercut it by sounding pretty bad, and for two, it’s not any sort of black metal I haven’t heard done better. I do like how the walls of guitar sound here, and the melodies are decent, but again, not really memorable or that strong overall.

Basically at the end of the day I would have to say… while this is a fine enough black metal piece, it definitely didn’t need to be as long as it is, and it probably would’ve benefitted from having better production. Is it better than the last two black metal entries you’ve sent? I’d say so, yeah, by a hair. There are at least a few parts here I do find to be pretty enjoyable, but there’s just too much that loses my interest for me to really get into this.

7/10

Train of Naught: Arcane Roots – Matter

First Impressions:
Well now you’re giving me high expectations for this one so if it sucks then I’m gonna have to score it like, 4/10. I dig the intro and I dig how it’s metal, also, metal is good. Though I think when it gets louder about a minute in the production works against the song, feels a bit muddy. Eww, electronic percussion, 2/10. But seriously no this is pretty solid, there’s a lot to like here but I don’t know if there’s anything I really “love”. And I think if the riffs came through better on the louder parts it would work better, the production is really the biggest issue I have. It’s diverse, it’s got a lot of power too it, and while it’s not exactly unique it doesn’t feel generic or recycled either. But there’s just a lack of clarity at parts where the song really could use it. Also the ending feels a bit tacked on and anticlimactic.

Final Thoughts:
The intro makes me think of Cynic a lot, both the vocal style and the effects on the voice. It’s not as heavy as the vocoder. Or maybe that new Persefone album, it starts out the same way with vocoder vocals as well I think. Anyways I always dig that kind of start, especially with the harmonizing going on here.

Really I think the vocals are easily the highlight of this song. They’re mixed oddly low at points but they have a commanding presence & just a great tone to them that really makes the louder parts of this track come together well.

The rest of this… hmm. I dig that guitar riffing in the chorus as djent-esque as it is, the rhythm emphasizes notes in the right place to create a decent groove and it’s still solidly melodic besides, not just chugga chug djenty chug blandness. The verses are maybe not as cool, I don’t really mind the electronic percussion but musically nothing about it really clicks with me, it’s just… pleasant.

And the song abruptly stops at the 3:30 mark for a quieter outro but it’s just such a clunky transition and makes the last bit feel tacked on and unnecessary, especially since it doesn’t really add much to the song anyways, it’s similar to the music behind the verses. If the song had ended right at 3:30 I’d say it would’ve felt a bit short but at the same time it wouldn’t have felt unnecessarily drawn out.

As a whole… I can see why you like this, this definitely feels like something you’d be more into than I am, but I still like it, I just can’t say my feelings go far beyond “yeah, it’s solid”. Not especially memorable, doesn’t really grab me in any way, has a few glaring flaws, but it’s pleasant overall and has decent energy to it. Don’t mind listening to it, might check out this album when it releases, but the song itself hasn’t really clicked with me in any strong way.

7.5/10

Luoto: Barren Earth – On Lonely Towers

First Impressions:
Oh god I have two long songs to listen to in a row, why do you guys do this to me. Is it because I score everything so low? It totally is isn’t it. This starts off pretty cool, atmospheric buildup leading to a sludgy but heavy guitar intro. Honestly a bit surprised this has synth at all. And there’s the harsh vocals. Ooh but screw those the bass is doing something cool here. The break in the middle with the strings is nice. I don’t know this is a lot to take in obviously but on first listen I’m finding it pretty enjoyable. It’s cohesive start to finish & while nothing really blows me away, I dig the riffs, I dig the variety, and it never bores me at any point. Looking forward to relistening & sending you to the finals. Like there’s no way this is getting anything less than a higher 7 unless I really hate it on relistens, so.

Final Thoughts:
While I would definitely say this didn’t click as hard with me as some of your better entries in this roulette have, it was still easily one of the best songs in this round just by lack of any competition, really. But honestly I can’t say I find it hugely memorable? Just a very solid & enjoyable listen.

Like, I’m sort of having a hard time even writing much about this, there’s a lot more to this song than the other songs this round and I don’t feel like I’ve fully taken it in but I plan to give everything a relisten after write-ups just to be certain of scores, but. I also sort of feel that’s part of the problem I have with this? Like I said it all sounds nice but there’s nothing that grabs me or sticks out, nothing to make me go “oh yeah this is that song”. I am listening to this for the fifth time now and I feel like I’m still just hearing it for the first time.

The only real thing that stands out is the constant repetition of “I will wait until the dawn”. I remember that. It’s an okay thing. It gets repeated over what is quite a great and intense climax, the kind of massive, majestic climax I like seeing in songs that really makes the buildup feel worth it. But that only accounts for like a third of the song and the first 7-8 minutes of this still I can’t really recall so well.

I’m wondering if it’s the song itself or just some issue I’m having with it. And like I’ve said – still one of the better tracks this round easily, I do like that last third a bit and there’s nothing I really dislike before that, it doesn’t feel overlong and it doesn’t bore me, it just doesn’t do anything to stand out until it gets to that grand climax. This writeup is a bit of a disaster as a result but I may attempt to fix that when I relisten, who knows.

8/10

twosuitsluke: The Ongoing Concept – Amends

First Impressions:
Out of the gate a little different than what I was expecting from this band. When the lyrics start coming in though man that’s a fun sound. So what the everloving hell is this, besides just being fun as hell? Well, pretty engaging and diverse, for one. Like wow the guitar is absolutely not the focus here but I’m totally okay with that? The vocals and the horns just make this a bouncy groovy song even as it firmly cements itself as a metal track. This is a band not taking themselves too seriously in the best kind of way and making something wholly unique but still cohesive and quite entertaining. Yeah, I will definitely be checking out this band as soon as this round’s over.

Final Thoughts:
You probably have the most insane luck out of anyone in the roulette. ‘Cause I probably would’ve listened to this album like, the day after you sent this since I saw they were coming here with Eidola & sounded like they’d be up my alley.

And yeah, uh, umm, on the basis of this song? I goddamn wish I would let myself just listen to this album now because this is? Fantastic??? I don’t think I’ve immediately fallen in love with a roulette song this hard since Limousine back in my very first roulette. And unlike some other songs  that left a really good first impression but grew weaker over time, yeah, this one just continued being awesome.

Like, that chorus? The insane speed of the vocal delivery still being completely audible on every word, combined with the killer riffs and the horns backing it up just make it an absolute joy to listen to, got stuck in my head from the very first listen and never left the entire time I was listening to this round. Hell, you probably had a negative impact on my impressions of all the other songs this round just because of how mind-numbingly catchy this is.

But even besides that there’s a lot here to like? The verses are more intense and hard-edged and while I wouldn’t say they stand out in the same way they’re still enjoyable and provide a nice contrast to the bouncy chorus. And the intro buildup is handled well, starting out chill & adding in more percussion until the layers of vocals come in for the first chorus. And there’s the break in the middle with that delicious guitar line and just a really fun vocal line again.

The lyrics of this are way more pissy than the sound of the song sounds like but that’s just the thing, it’s not an angry song as much as it is laughing at the pathetic attempts of the person the signer is speaking to and I can’t help but want to join in dissing them because of the infections groove and fun vibe of this track.

So umm yeah. This is great? Pretty much flawless? I don’t think it should’ve been longer because it would’ve worn out its welcome. So no complaints there. And it’s not hugely technical but it’s not boring in that regard either, the guitar does some cool stuff and the drums are no bore either. The only thing keeping this from being truly fantastic is some kind of emotional connection which is, well, obviously not gonna be found in a song like this and I wouldn’t want it to be, but it does keep it back from being the uncontested best track of the entire roulette. But damn, it’s certainly up there.

9/10

Final Standings:
Luoto – 87.25
twosuitsluke – 83.25
Nekov – 82.25
Bolsters – 82
Train of Naught – 81.5
Evermind – 80.25
LordCost – 79.75
Tomislav95 – 79.75
home – 79.5
Stadler – 74.25

Took a bit long to post this after the relisten post went up because I wanted to go over all my math and make sure it was all correct - only error I made was snubbing home .25 points on round 2, apparently, so  :lol

Luoto, Luke, and Nekov cam go ahead and start sending me EPs (I won't listen to them for a week, though). Will have some farewell posts up for the rest of you in a bit.

Of course, someone else may make it in through the secondary judge results, so... stay tuned a few minutes for those.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:11:29 AM by Parama »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #990 on: September 05, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »
Round 10 Secondary Judge Results – Judge LordCost

Arcane Roots – Matter

I knew from the first listen that would have been my favourite. A friend of mine let me listen some time ago some songs of their first album. I liked them, but Matter gave me a better first impression for sure. I have to listen to another album that comes out the 15th September.

5 points

Barren Earth – On Lonely Towers

I like both clean vocals and the different blend of styles in this songs. Sometimes Opeth come to my mind, in brief moments some other bands. The song is well written and interesting in every section. I might check out the latest album with this singer.

3 points

Motörhead – One Track Mind

It left me uninterested on first listen and all I could say was that it was a simple, old and normal plain rock track but then I started to enjoy it. All songs from 3 to 7 could get the third place and these ones are more complex or innovative with respect to One Track Mind, but I think I prefer to listen to this one.

2 points

Tomahawk – Point And Click (Judge's Song)

Good song and atmosphere, but the others have something more to show. If it was longer it could have made the top 3 maybe.

Downfall Of Nur – The Golden Age

I almost don't know what is black metal but it's better than what I imagined before for sure. It could have been higher in the list, but I fear that if I knew better the genre this could have been more generic than what I think. Luckily the growls are almost in the background and I almost enjoy it like it is an atmospheric long instrumental song. I liked the fact that the album is inspired to Sardinia island culture too.

NO BS! Brass Band – Khan

Another track totally out my comfort zone. I don't think myself anymore an eclectic listener after listening to the songs of this round. It's definitely the better instrumental of the two, I get that it's well composed too and I'm enjoying it in the last listenings, but I can't put it higher. I still liked it and it was an interesting listen.

The Ongoing Concept – Amends

Interesting song. It reminds me of Fjokra that I considered to send in this roulette, but with metalcore vocals added in the mix. There's still something that doesn't work for me and I don't enjoy much the listening. Maybe I can find some other songs in the album that I like more.

Evergrey – Hymns For The Broken (Piano Version)

I heard about this band but I didn't like them much for the few songs I tried to listen to. This one is not metal and has got a different style but I didn't like it anyway. I usually like ballads and songs with piano, and this is another reason to put the song among my least favourites. The singers doesn't emotion me and I'm more bored than when I listen to Downfall Of Nur that it's 17 minutes long.

The Naked And Famous – Laid Low

If I enjoyed this style of music I would probably never discovered prog or metal. It's not my thing at all, you were unlucky with secondary judge pick. It's also the only song of the round that becomes worse after every listen, to the point that I can't stand it anymore. It could have been at 10th position.

Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk – Chaising Rainbows

I still don't remember anything of this song after 4 listens, but it's not something I like. I usually listen to music that is either dramatic, angry, theatrical, weird, complex, with great singers, innovative and I could add other similar adjectives but nothing that can describe your song. It's an instrumental song that could work for me as a soundtrack while I study, but I don't see how a song like that could be defined as excellent.

Parama’s notes:
The final secondary scores put Train one point above Bolsters, making it the second time Bolsters gets just barely snubbed out of making the finals this round. Ouch. I am not really too surprised with any of the picks here except maybe that I expected The Ongoing Concept higher, but that’s probably because I enjoy it so much. Also Stadler finally got some points, woo.

Final Secondary Judge Standings:
Train of Naught - 18
Bolsters - 17
Evermind - 14
Tomislav95 – 12
Luoto - 10
twosuitsluke - 8
home - 7
Nekov - 2
Stadler - 2
LordCost – 0

Trainyboy made the finals just barely above Bolsters, and I feel so bad for Bolsters that I’m seriously considering breaking my own rules and allowing a fifth EP because why the hell not. Give me a night to decide on that one.

I’m going to go put up who judged which round and my comments for each round now so look out for that as well.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #991 on: September 05, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »
Holy fuck I remember listening to that Ongoing Concept song and thinking you would absolutely hate it. I'm already listening to the album now and it's awesome, thanks lukeboy :tup this is awesome. Tomislav did so bad that he didn't get a writeup?

Also yeah I was sure I wanted to send Matter cause I love it so much but I was aware of the very weird tacked on ending, sent it anyway and typing this now seems like it paid off cause I made it to the finals boiii. I have not gave the EP a single thought yet but I have a lot of songs in my Parama Roulette playlist left so I'll figure something out over the coming few days! It's weird how close I actually came to the top 3 in the end lol, that +0.75 on artilang probably helped
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #992 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:30 AM »
Holy fuck I remember listening to that Ongoing Concept song and thinking you would absolutely hate it.

well you've had pretty bad judgement of my tastes thus far, so  :corn
also what tomislav didn't have a writeup what are you talking about whaaaat  :corn
judge stuff is all up but i'm tired so i'm gonna do the farewell posts tomorrow, also gives me a night to sleep on The Bolsters Decision  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #993 on: September 05, 2017, 01:16:38 AM »
Well shit!

I honestly didn't think you'd like the song that much! You like it even more than me by the sounds of it  :lol I'm glad though, I've been contemplating sending The Ongoing Concept in every single roulette I've played but never went for it. I only did this time because I was running out of things to send and the fact they are touring with Eidola  (who I know you love). I'm with Train though, after sending it I kinda thought you were going to hate it  :lol

This goes to show, even after doing well in this roulette, I still don't fully understand your tastes. I'm homing in on it though.

So EP time. How long have we got to send? I don't want to half ass it but I have so much going on at the moment. I might be able to bash it out tonight after work. Just hope I have something left to send you.

Let's finish this...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (ROUND 10 RESULTS)
« Reply #994 on: September 05, 2017, 01:20:44 AM »
you have a week, i am not even touching this roulette for a week, i need a break  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #995 on: September 05, 2017, 01:22:26 AM »
you have a week, i am not even touching this roulette for a week, i need a break  :lol

That works for me :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #996 on: September 05, 2017, 02:29:20 AM »
I feel so bad for Bolsters that I’m seriously considering breaking my own rules and allowing a fifth EP because why the hell not. Give me a night to decide on that one.
Depends how much more suffering you would like I guess.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #997 on: September 05, 2017, 02:49:06 AM »
I thought that The Ongoing Concept was one of the candidates for the 3/10 :rollin
I still don't know Parama's tastes after 2 and a half roulettes.

I don't have enough good songs to make an EP, so I'm not sad about not going to the final round. I would have sent you Korn and Drowning Pool to fill the EP, maybe it's better for you :lol

Fun roulette as always, maybe I will organize one in the future too after trying to be the secondary judge. I cannot say more than "I like it/I don't like it" for many songs but I enjoyed round 10 overall. I never listened to the other round songs to compare to it though.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #998 on: September 05, 2017, 03:17:27 AM »
I thought that The Ongoing Concept was one of the candidates for the 3/10 :rollin

Haha, that song is too well written to get a score that low in the first place :)

I'm quite positively surprised Barren Earth got as much as that. The song is doomy and kind of through-composed so I get the argument it may not be too memorable, but the atmosphere is great.

I'll send my EP shortly.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:33:08 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #999 on: September 05, 2017, 05:14:18 AM »
Time to send the EP :corn:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1000 on: September 05, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »
Yeah like I expected.  :P.  Parama, you got to join a plug.dj session soon so I can let you hear the songs I didn't send you yet.

Also, thanks a lot for hosting this! I'm still really glad Jupiter got a great score  :metal
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #1001 on: September 05, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
7 is nice for that song. I connected with it but I understand it's hard when you have limited time and I know it's not the most interesting song ever.
Thank you for hosting and having me :tup your notes on secondary judges' scores were interesting, read some of it and will read all of them when I have more time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1002 on: September 05, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
I totally forgot that Nekov already sent his EP like two weeks ago & Luoto already sent his, nice

Also Bolsters you should go ahead and send an EP too why the heck not I hate myself enough to deal with 5 EPs sure

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1003 on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
@ Stadler..as much as I LOVE Another Perfect Day, on what planet is it a good idea to send One Track Mind. So many better Motorhead tunes, even on that album..Shine?
Do you have the King Biscuit CD from that tour? It's really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1004 on: September 05, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
@ Stadler..as much as I LOVE Another Perfect Day, on what planet is it a good idea to send One Track Mind. So many better Motorhead tunes, even on that album..Shine?
Do you have the King Biscuit CD from that tour? It's really cool.

I don't know; I just love that song.   

I do have the KB CD; I like it.  As much as I like the early Motorhead - I get why it's classic - I really like the Robo stuff.  I know it wasn't a good fit and I know the stories about what came after, but that's BY FAR my favorite Motorhead record.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: September 05, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
Wow, that was close. I knew it wasn't a strong submission but I thought you might like it anyways. As you said, me ep is already in, hope you enjoy it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1006 on: September 05, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
Also Bolsters you should go ahead and send an EP too why the heck not I hate myself enough to deal with 5 EPs sure
:corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1007 on: September 07, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
I have 2.86 EPs, trainy needs to resend one of his songs though  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1008 on: September 07, 2017, 10:08:12 PM »
I might be able to send mine later tonight but it's more likely going to be tomorrow instead.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1009 on: September 08, 2017, 05:11:09 AM »
I have 2.86 EPs, trainy needs to resend one of his songs though  :corn
You now should have at least 3.86 EPs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1010 on: September 10, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
Will give everyone until 6 PM PST on Monday to submit roulette EPs, I already have four of the five but anyone else who wants to send should do so before then

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1011 on: September 10, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
Finished making my EP, giving it a listen before sending :P

EDIT: Sent.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:03:39 PM by Sacul »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1012 on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:22 AM »
Last minute crafting of EP commencing...

This is going to be such a mixed bag. I'm not expecting to pull off a win here. Flow score...0

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1013 on: September 11, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »
EP submitted.

I really have no chance of winning this but I'm glad I just managed to knock an EP together.

I'd say enjoy...but you won't.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1014 on: September 11, 2017, 05:37:10 PM »
Yeah that's what you said about your round 10 submission too  :corn

6 EPs for hangmanen atm, I won't get to listening through every EP tonight but hangman should be up sometime Tuesday night