Author Topic: Is it special "guest" or "guests"?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Is it special "guest" or "guests"?
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »
My band is working on doing some openers, starting with one for my old band, so I'm doing up a promo flyer for it and have the term "with special guest" and our band name/logo "Scarlett".  I'm not sure if it should be special guest singular, because the band Scarlett is a single entity or special guests plural, because the band is a group of several individuals.  I've seen it both ways and I guess it REALLY doesn't matter, it's more nitpicky than anything, but I'm curious what anyone else thinks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Is it special "guest" or "guests"?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Hm, if you make it singular, people might mistake you for a chick named Scarlett. But if you make it plural, people will expect more than one guest entity.

Maybe "with special guest band"? Is that a thing perhaps?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
You are referring to the entity, so I think "guest" is more grammatically correct.  But since the plural is so widely accepted and generally sounds more correct even though it isn't, I might go that route instead.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
With Special Guest

SCARLETT

It's guest.  If it were Simon & Garfunkel, it would be guests.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
I believe if your band is the only opener, or special guest, then it should be singular.  Not sure anyone would complain if you said guests though

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »
With Special Guest

SCARLETT

I think Simon & Garfunkel would still be singular. They're performing as a group. If they were performing separately then it would be special guests Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
With Special Guest

SCARLETT

I think Simon & Garfunkel would still be singular. They're performing as a group. If they were performing separately then it would be special guests Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.
I agree.  Again, the entity is what is being referred to, and that is singular.  But, again, it is one of those situations where, correctness aside, it doesn't sound right, so convention is to often use the plural form even though it isn't technically correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
With Special Guest

SCARLETT

I agree.  Again, the entity is what is being referred to, and that is singular.  But, again, it is one of those situations where, correctness aside, it doesn't sound right, so convention is to often use the plural form even though it isn't technically correct.
I think clarity would be more important than sound, though. In the S&G example they could be performing as a duo or playing separately and the syntax would convey that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »
They are British though  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
They are British though  :lol
:lol  Yeah, that.  Plus, as I said, it has just become the convention to use either form.  Once it becomes generally accepted practice, it just is what it is.  Kinda like how a LOT of people nowadays think the term "meme" means any picture with a caption.  That isn't what the word means, but that usage has become such common convention that it's futile and pointless to insist that people stop using it incorrectly. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
Kinda like how a LOT of people nowadays think the term "meme" means any picture with a caption.  That isn't what the word means, but that usage has become such common convention that it's futile and pointless to insist that people stop using it incorrectly.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
:lol  Yeah.  Precisely.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »
With Special Guest

SCARLETT

As much as I am loathe to go against the mighty Iron Maiden - even in matters of syntax - these two have it right.

I would use "Special Guest", then when I took the stage I would say "We're SCARLETT, and we know our fucking GRAMMAR!  ...two...three...four!" and slam into your opener.   That's very rock and roll. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »
And when they play the M3 Festival, "We're Scarlett, and we know your gramma!"  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »
 :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 07:34:31 AM »