Author Topic: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting  (Read 116068 times)

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting
« Reply #3920 on: January 10, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
I dunno. After Trump literally walked out of a meeting because they didn't give into his demands, I can't say Trump is being left out of this or being denied responsibility.
Having to veto or ignore a bill passed by both houses would be a huge step beyond that. There would be no more deflections about ownership.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3921 on: January 10, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken the last bill they had that Trump was originally going to support before changing his mind not only had bipartisan support in both houses, but enough votes in the senate to override a Trump veto.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3922 on: January 10, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »
I seem to recall a time in the distant past where "I was for it before I was against it" was a major point of ridicule. In any case, it the Senate actually had the votes to override a veto this should really be called the McConnell shutdown. It's more on him than Trump at that point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3923 on: January 10, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
Also found a great 2004 Trump quote to put all along his wall.

"If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it. Go over it. Go around it. But get to the other side of that wall."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #3924 on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
Going completely under the radar on all of this is McConnell's role in the shutdown.

<AND>

Mitch has replaced Cheney now as my most despised person in Washington. The man's really managed to outdo just about every act of shameful political behavior I've seen.

That fucking guy is teflon, I'll give you that.   Given my theory that none of this is new, and just a matter of degree, it's amazing how much of the behavior we find abhorrent in Trump (or Democrats) can be traced back at least through him, if not to him.  And yet you never hear about the "McConnell Shutdown" or the "Biden McConnell Rule".  Having said that, though, you never hear Schumer or Pelosi throwing him under the bus, so maybe he has photos of them coming out of the bathhouse, who knows? 

I dunno. After Trump literally walked out of a meeting because they didn't give into his demands, I can't say Trump is being left out of this or being denied responsibility.

I find little fault in that, though.  That's what he was elected to do.  I'm finding enough blame to go around, here.  I've done enough negotiations where if you go in the room and say "Look, the one thing you want is the one thing I'm not willing to budge on, AT ALL", what's the point?   Especially behind closed doors, that's just posturing, and I can't blame Trump for saying "I'm not interested in that".

Of all the nonsense you can pin on Trump in this - and there's plenty, believe me - the one thing he's signaled is that he's willing to compromise, even down to "let's just call it something else, and we all win".  Say what you want about him, even though he's making some hay out of the "Democrats are extreme and just don't care about the law!" he's not throwing any specific people under the bus, and he's giving them a way of saving face.  In negotiations like these, that's really a gift, even if it doesn't seem like it.  Pelosi and Schumer have to be smart and aware enough to take it. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3925 on: January 10, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »
Going completely under the radar on all of this is McConnell's role in the shutdown.

<AND>

Mitch has replaced Cheney now as my most despised person in Washington. The man's really managed to outdo just about every act of shameful political behavior I've seen.

That fucking guy is teflon, I'll give you that.   Given my theory that none of this is new, and just a matter of degree, it's amazing how much of the behavior we find abhorrent in Trump (or Democrats) can be traced back at least through him, if not to him.  And yet you never hear about the "McConnell Shutdown" or the "Biden McConnell Rule".  Having said that, though, you never hear Schumer or Pelosi throwing him under the bus, so maybe he has photos of them coming out of the bathhouse, who knows? 

I find little fault in that, though.  That's what he was elected to do.  I'm finding enough blame to go around, here.  I've done enough negotiations where if you go in the room and say "Look, the one thing you want is the one thing I'm not willing to budge on, AT ALL", what's the point?   Especially behind closed doors, that's just posturing, and I can't blame Trump for saying "I'm not interested in that".

Of all the nonsense you can pin on Trump in this - and there's plenty, believe me - the one thing he's signaled is that he's willing to compromise, even down to "let's just call it something else, and we all win".  Say what you want about him, even though he's making some hay out of the "Democrats are extreme and just don't care about the law!" he's not throwing any specific people under the bus, and he's giving them a way of saving face.  In negotiations like these, that's really a gift, even if it doesn't seem like it.  Pelosi and Schumer have to be smart and aware enough to take it.
He's not throwing them under the bus, yet. You call it a gift they should be smart enough to take. Is there really any doubt in your mind that if they did take it he'd be on TV the next day gloating over his glorious victory? Calling Chuck and Nancy weak to undermine their support? Touting his Stedfast Resolve to defend America from Dem Cowardice? It'd be his go-to tweet anytime he needed a diversion. Is that really a gift?  I'm not saying they shouldn't take it if it's the right deal, mind you, but let's not be naive and believe that this is Trump just wanting to get a deal done to benefit the nation. In any case, Trump was willing to compromise before he was unwilling to compromise, and I suspect that's a direct result of Mitch being willing to provide cover for him. I haven't seen much willingness to compromise since.

On a side note, the only people who ever use glorious in a political context are despots and tyrants. Am I the only person who got a shudder when he tweeted that the other day?
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #3926 on: January 10, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »

<AND>

You're interpreting this as Trump wanting to compromise and the democrats demanding no? From what I've seen, the Trump is demanding the specific amount of money. The democrats offered less. Trump basically said all or nothing. Seems like the opposite of compromise. But what do I know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #3927 on: January 10, 2019, 12:16:11 PM »
From what's read and heard, (which I will admit is limited), Trump asked for x.x billion, Pelosi responded with a witty "how about $1?" If accurate, to say the Ds "offered less," while correct, isn't reflective of their attitude. They are both being obstinate.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3928 on: January 10, 2019, 12:35:46 PM »
To be honest, Dems shouldn't have to compromise on a fundamentally stupid/bad policy demand. This isn't "you think we need to raise taxes and I think we need to cut spending and we both have reasonable arguments backing up our positions so at the end of the day we do a little of both". This is "Trump wants to do something idiotic and nobody (not even his own party) wants to give him money for it". If he was shutting down the government because he was demanding 5 billion dollars to explore mining the moon for cheese to solve the homelessness problem in this country, we wouldn't be sitting here saying "well can't they compromise and give him a few billion to go mining for moon cheese".
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3929 on: January 10, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »
To be honest, Dems shouldn't have to compromise on a fundamentally stupid/bad policy demand. This isn't "you think we need to raise taxes and I think we need to cut spending and we both have reasonable arguments backing up our positions so at the end of the day we do a little of both". This is "Trump wants to do something idiotic and nobody (not even his own party) wants to give him money for it". If he was shutting down the government because he was demanding 5 billion dollars to explore mining the moon for cheese to solve the homelessness problem in this country, we wouldn't be sitting here saying "well can't they compromise and give him a few billion to go mining for moon cheese".
Dude, where have you been the last 20 years? Of course we would.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3930 on: January 10, 2019, 01:54:42 PM »

One of the most pathetic for me was his line about "One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said "Mr President, you will not fill this Supreme Court vacancy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNx7cBaBxWs

(In a subsequent FOX interview with Chris Wallace he gleefully explained that he couldn't imagine a Republican majority in the United States senate would want to confirm a nominee opposed by the National Rifle Association. Refreshing to have such a candid window into who pulls the strings in the American government).

It speaks volumes for his career that after 33 years as a United States senator, that's one of his "proudest moments".

And then of course later on, when a Republican was in the Oval Office, he came out with this gem: "Apparently there's a new standard now, which is not to confirm a Supreme Court nominee at all. I think that's something the American people simply will not tolerate".

The guy's everything Trump said he was going to drain away. Hypocritical self-serving career politicians who have been embedded in the system for so long that partisan acts of obstruction are what they're most proud of.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3931 on: January 11, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »

One of the most pathetic for me was his line about "One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said "Mr President, you will not fill this Supreme Court vacancy"

(In a subsequent FOX interview with Chris Wallace he gleefully explained that he couldn't imagine a Republican majority in the United States senate would want to confirm a nominee opposed by the National Rifle Association. Refreshing to have such a candid window into who pulls the strings in the American government).

It speaks volumes for his career that after 33 years as a United States senator, that's one of his "proudest moments".

And then of course later on, when a Republican was in the Oval Office, he came out with this gem: "Apparently there's a new standard now, which is not to confirm a Supreme Court nominee at all. I think that's something the American people simply will not tolerate".

The guy's everything Trump said he was going to drain away. Hypocritical self-serving career politicians who have been embedded in the system for so long that partisan acts of obstruction are what they're most proud of.

Hence the reason why I feel there should be term limits for Reps and Senators. I know that people keep voting for these clowns but I never understood why you get 2 terms as president and infinite terms in the House or Senate. The lifers on both sides need to go.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3932 on: January 11, 2019, 07:29:17 AM »

Hence the reason why I feel there should be term limits for Reps and Senators. I know that people keep voting for these clowns but I never understood why you get 2 terms as president and infinite terms in the House or Senate. The lifers on both sides need to go.

As technology continues advancing at an exponential rate, I feel this way more and more as the years go by. We have people in congress voting on things like net neutrality that probably need an assistant to set up gmail accounts for them.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #3933 on: January 11, 2019, 08:07:36 AM »
Totally agree, Zuckerberg's hearing showed clearly how out of touch they were with current technological trends.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3934 on: January 11, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

<AND>

You're interpreting this as Trump wanting to compromise and the democrats demanding no? From what I've seen, the Trump is demanding the specific amount of money. The democrats offered less. Trump basically said all or nothing. Seems like the opposite of compromise. But what do I know?

That's not at all my understanding.  Pelosi and Schumer have both said "NO WALL."    Trump started at $5B, went down to $2B+, and even as low as somewhere under $2B.  He has also moved from concrete to steel, from wall to border barrier, and in all that time, Pelosi and Schumer have stuck with "NO WALL."   

To Bart's point, it's all posturing, and no doubt he WOULD gloat.  So?  If it's cruel for Trump to hold the people of the country hostage over a wall, it's equally cruel to hold the people of the country hostage over fear of giving a douchebag gloating rights.   I thought it wasn't personal, wasn't about "Trump"?   (Rhetorical). 

Even a couple Democrats are now seeming to advocate for the declaration of National Emergency, though I can't tell if that's sardonic or not.

By the way, how about  Trump getting another whack at the Supreme Court?   You think we've sunk to new levels so far, wait until RBG has no option but to retire and we get Amy Farrah-Fowler* into confirmation hearings.  Booker is going to have to muster up more than Spartacus for that one. 

* I know it's Amy Coney Barrett, but Amy Farrah-Fowler is funnier, in my head.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
Dude, where have you been the last 20 years? Of course we would.  :lol

I'm up for moon cheese. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3936 on: January 11, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »

I think you were right at one point, and I would have agreed with you then.  A 30-foot concrete border wall stretching from Tijuana to Brownsville is moronic (and still is).  But he's backed off on that to a point that is not as outlandish as it perhaps was.   He's been pretty clear that he is at or close to the border security measures that were set forth in the Secure Fence Act of 2006.   (Please note that name.)

Let's not kid here; it doesn't take a partisan look to see that the obstinance has as much to do with TRUMP and personal preference than it does the actual policy at hand. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3937 on: January 11, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »
I stand by my original idea. If the democrats want to kick in some wall funding, it should come with the caveat that the Trump logo be prominently displayed, we're talking 10 foot letters here, every 100' or so. On both sides. If we're going to pay (twice) for a worthless monument to Trump's ego, I want everybody for the next 200 years to see what an idiot he was. In 20 years it'll be rusted, crumbling wreck with large gaps and holes blown through the parts still standing. I think that's a fitting monument to a simpleminded manchild.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3938 on: January 11, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
I stand by my original idea. If the democrats want to kick in some wall funding, it should come with the caveat that the Trump logo be prominently displayed, we're talking 10 foot letters here, every 100' or so. On both sides. If we're going to pay (twice) for a worthless monument to Trump's ego, I want everybody for the next 200 years to see what an idiot he was. In 20 years it'll be rusted, crumbling wreck with large gaps and holes blown through the parts still standing. I think that's a fitting monument to a simpleminded manchild.

Online Adami

« Reply #3939 on: January 11, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
Barto brought up a good point about how this wall will look in 20 years.

5.7 billion or whatever for the wall.

How much for upkeep?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3940 on: January 11, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »
Doesn't matter because it won't get paid. We don't pay to take care of what we've already got down there. Last I heard there was a huge percentage of security cameras that are inoperable. Even the FOBs are in poor condition.

In the meantime, I don't see how those steel slats Trump is on about are really going to work out. My first thought was that thermite is pretty easy to make. So are shaped charge explosives, and my hunch is that the required stuff would probably be much easier to obtain in Mexico than it it here. Chino's and my Mexican counterparts could put their heads together and come up with 5 ways to knock enough of those things down to drive a truck through in 2 hours.
E.F. Benson

Online RuRoRul

« Reply #3941 on: January 11, 2019, 01:22:47 PM »
Also of note is that there is no concrete (or steel) plan for "the wall" or any measurable milestones of what that $5 billion would get when put towards it or what completion of it would entail. There is already money for border security (which I believe the administration didn't even spend last year after the spending was increased). It's not about some amount extra for border security. It's $5 billion for a "Win For Trump" in the press and a slush fund labelled "Wall".

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3942 on: January 11, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »
It's too late for the wall, America has already been "invaded":

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083756525196320773

In the normal course of events the President of the United States formally announcing that America has finally been the subject of an "invasion" after 242 years (all those trillions you spend on your military only to end up being "invaded" by Honduran teenagers. Shame on all your servicepeople for letting this happen, no more Super Bowl flyovers for them!) would be cause for major geopolitical alarm. Thankfully, everybody recognises the histrionic prick is full of nothing but fear-baiting, panic-mongering, MAGA-crowd-pandering horseshit (though of course as I write this FOX News is peddling out the pre-arranged backlog of manufactured outrage porn about gunned down police officers and opioid statistics - I ask again, at what point will the land of freedom, choice and personal responsibility stop blaming others for its own drug problem?).

I just wrote this elsewhere but it ought to be absolutely fucking shameful how easily this dickhead tosses around the word "invasion" (if he needs an example of an actual invasion he need only look into America and Iraq circa 2003, and it's tempting to wonder if a wall would have prevented that), but of course it won't be. Nothing is anymore. There is literally nothing in American politics these days that is shameful or disgraceful or cause for genuine alarm. "Hey, the President just wrote on Twitter that we've been invaded by Mexicans who bring drugs into our country. Fuckers! Anyway, pass me the bong". It's incredible how desensitized the Trump era has made people to things that ought to be shockingly egregious.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:57:15 PM by Dave_Manchester »
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, September 26th 2018.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3943 on: January 11, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »
Same tactic and same word that "worked" in Italy. We had a huge migrants crisis some years ago, the numbers have finally dropped and basically stopped, but still the populist minister of internal affairs and de-facto, unofficial premier of Italy makes a biiiiig fuss about every random boat that has 50 migrants on them nearing our shores talking about how Italy was "invaded" and with him the ports are now closed. And everyone praised him on FB and call a wimpy idealist anyone who disagree.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #3944 on: January 11, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
Also about the wall, especially for drug delivery.

.......can't some drones just take care of that? Like you walk up to your side of the wall, attach some drugs to a drone, fly it over, drop it, leave. I dunno.

Wall just seems largely pointless.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3945 on: January 11, 2019, 02:04:26 PM »

.......can't some drones just take care of that? Like you walk up to your side of the wall, attach some drugs to a drone, fly it over, drop it, leave. I dunno.

That plus the vast majority of the kinds of drugs FOX News anchors and Republican senators shovel up their noses come in by plane.

But nevertheless, you're making the mistake of thinking with your brain here. I've found that to be futile when trying to figure out Trump's political strategy. Just keep on repeating to yourself: "This side good and safe. The other side bad and dangerous. Wall keeps the other side out". As Trump keeps on demanding we all do: try to think in medieval terms.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3946 on: January 11, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »
you know maybe Trump once saw an episode of Attack On Titan and thought giant naked mexicans were going to storm the border.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3947 on: January 11, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »

The majority of drugs coming over the Mexican boarder go right through customs, concealed in a truck. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3948 on: January 11, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »

The majority of drugs coming over the Mexican boarder go right through customs, concealed in a truck.

in buckets of fried chicken sauce, right?  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #3949 on: January 11, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »
 :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3950 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
Chino's and my Mexican counterparts could put their heads together and come up with 5 ways to knock enough of those things down to drive a truck through in 2 hours.

I'd use jet fuel.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3951 on: January 11, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
Chino's and my Mexican counterparts could put their heads together and come up with 5 ways to knock enough of those things down to drive a truck through in 2 hours.

I'd use jet fuel.
JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL!!!!
E.F. Benson

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3952 on: January 11, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »
If the Democrats had an ounce of gumption between them (spoiler alert, they don't) they'd use the idiot's words against him. By his own official statement America has been "invaded" on his watch, after he promised time after time that he had built the bestest, awesomest, most expensivest military the world had ever seen. Yet now the USA has, according to his own words, been "invaded", despite that ridiculous generation-crippling budget he signed off on last year. As Commander-in-Chief, he's failed his country in his first and most important task. CNN have been handed a gift here. Tomorrow's headline needs to be "President Trump Says USA Has Been Invaded, Months After Saying He Alone Could Protect Us".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #3953 on: January 11, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
If the Democrats had an ounce of gumption between them (spoiler alert, they don't) they'd use the idiot's words against him. By his own official statement America has been "invaded" on his watch, after he promised time after time that he had built the bestest, awesomest, most expensivest military the world had ever seen. Yet now the USA has, according to his own words, been "invaded", despite that ridiculous generation-crippling budget he signed off on last year. As Commander-in-Chief, he's failed his country in his first and most important task. CNN have been handed a gift here. Tomorrow's headline needs to be "President Trump Says USA Has Been Invaded, Months After Saying He Alone Could Protect Us".

Sure but using Trump's own words against him is always done and doesn't make a difference.  Just another day in America.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #3954 on: January 11, 2019, 03:48:02 PM »
 :corn

That's directed at 'Murica, not the present company.

Oh, and me while I wait for Stadler to log back in to DTF Monday morning.
I think Jingle is right as rain
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".