Author Topic: Dream Theater ruined me  (Read 3717 times)

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

Dream Theater ruined me
« on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
It started innocently enough. Fourteen months ago I had a road trip coming up and wanted something new to listen to. I knew I would be driving for at least twelve hours so just for fun I used Google to track down some longer rock songs. My music collection had grown stagnant. I was basically listening to the same bands I did growing up. Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Megadeth. Trying to find something new and exciting was an uphill battle since the music industry seemed content on pushing nothing but manufactured, bland pop. My search led me to a song called Octavarium. Dream Theater? The name didn't ring a bell. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was 24 minutes long! Keep in mind that at this time I thought the 10:13 "Coma" by Guns 'N Roses was long. My curiosity was piqued and I decided to pick up the entire album.

I liked both the title track and the rest of the album immediately. The technical abilities of the band members blew me away. They were on a totally different level than what I was listening to. I knew this wasn't a band for "normal' people. From here, I decided to explore their other "epic" (20 minutes and over) songs first. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. A Change of Seasons. Illumination Theory. I was hooked. By June I had all of their albums on CD. This led me to the supergroups. Liquid Tension Experiment. Transatlantic. From there I discovered other prog rock bands. Classics like Rush, niche groups like Spock's Beard, lesser known groups like Seventh Wonder, popular ones like Symphony X. I've spent more on music over the past fourteen months than I did in the decade preceding it. My music collection has more than doubled in slightly over a year. Thankfully my wife has been very patient as I geek out about these new bands.

The newness has worn off but I still find myself preferring prog rock/metal to the stuff I listened to over the last two decades. I still like it, of course, and maybe my zeal will fade a bit as these new bands become more familiar to me. Time will tell. Dream Theater really raised the bar for what I consider high end musical talent.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater ruined me
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »
Welcome...and great username, BTW!  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
Quick, choose sides now: MP vs MM, JR vs KM, CD vs JLB. So many choices, so little time!!!  :o
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
 :metal

Welcome!

Quick, choose sides now: MP vs MM, JR vs KM, CD vs JLB. So many choices, so little time!!!  :o

Also - this.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »
Welcome and I felt the same way when I first started listening to DT  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
Welcome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
Yeah, been there, my friend.  ;)

Welcome!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:14:24 PM »
They've ruined my ability to be responsible with my finances.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »
DT ruined my sex life, I can only come in 5/8.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
Probably closer to 5 than 8.

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
This thread was not what I thought it was gonna be :(
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

When you don't want to cum think of 4/4.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »
But MM taught me to reinterpret a 4/4 as a 7/16 followed by a 9/16!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:49 PM »
Get a tissue now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Skeever

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 08:50:35 PM »
Now you gotta learn all the acronyms for all the albums and song titles if you really want to be taken seriously.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »
Awesome first post, welcome to DT forums. I've been following DT for 25 years and have never gotten tired of them.  They certianly know how to keep it interesting!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 11:52:21 PM »

And also because prog fans don't get laid. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 12:09:06 AM »
Title is misleading. DT hasn't ruined you. It's enhanced your life by introducing you to the best music ever made. Welcome aboard, sir!  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:10 AM »

And also because prog fans don't get laid. :neverusethis:

Never had a problem here. ;)  It must be my charm and friendly personality.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
I am with you!!!  Made the discovery about 1.5 years ago and cannot listen to anything else.  I have tried.  Every time I listen to other music, I just can't wait for it to be over and return to what I really want to hear.   I was able to see them 3 times last year, (1 meet and greet)  and that totally put me over. Check out their bio book Lifting Shadows, a great read! I read that before I had listened to ACOS. I checked it out the song and it literally gave me the chills..  Oh and check out the you tube (3 parts) video of MM interview..

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
Welcome!!  Glad to have you!

Some lots of good things to discover. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Welcome mate!  Great first post.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »

And apparently his last, as well.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »

And apparently his last, as well.

:rollin

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
Title is misleading.

This..

Now you gotta learn all the acronyms for all the albums and song titles if you really want to be taken seriously.

:lol

Judging by his username though, I think he already knows how to be a DTFer as he's already making fun of DT's lyrics..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
Title is misleading.

This..

:lol

Judging by his username though, I think he already knows how to be a DTFer as he's already making fun of DT's lyrics..

I minored in History in college and have a beard. I picked my username to both reflect that and to poke a bit of fun at the silliness of TCOT lyrics.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
I wonder whether JP knows about the general opinion about his apparently silly lyrics or not.. He puts so much dedication into them that he seems like a child when explaining their meanings in an interview.. I don't think he'd like to read what most of you guys think about some of them.. Idk, just a guess.. ;V

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 12:23:59 AM »
Cool stories, bros.

Next step is to own all of Jordan Rudess' apps.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
JPs lyrics are just fine to me, they seem to work well in the context of the music. Illumination Theory has depth and meaning and the music drives the point home. The Bigger Picture is another good example, and they beat Metallica to the chase with the moth into the flame part.. Ha!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline V_R11

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 03:14:11 PM »
I wonder whether JP knows about the general opinion about his apparently silly lyrics or not.. He puts so much dedication into them that he seems like a child when explaining their meanings in an interview.. I don't think he'd like to read what most of you guys think about some of them.. Idk, just a guess.. ;V

JP lyrics are,at least to me, pretty good excluding Illumination Theory and The Count of Tuscany. Those kinda had me go like "I know you can write better stuff"
Seasons change and so can I

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »

JP lyrics are,at least to me, pretty good excluding Illumination Theory and The Count of Tuscany. Those kinda had me go like "I know you can write better stuff"

IT has good, complex and -as Architeuthis said- deep lyrics, which TCoT has not, so Idk how they can be matched at all.. I don't think all JP's lyrics are good, but I just don't care for what I don't like.. So I don't get why almost everyone tends to joke about them; I mean, they're not that bad.. Is one guy, which isn't a writer but a guitarist, this is what he does, and also the main composer of the band... and, apparently, the rest of the guys in the band don't wanna write a thing.. So it's really all about him since MP's departure..

Unfortunately TA gets that same feeling for most people, that it's not serious lyrics because they don't talk about RL's issues but "only" tell a story*.. Two things about this argument: first, it'd be very boring having in every album lyrics like the ones in I&W, ADToE or DT12, and also it'd be boring for JP to write always the same... How many times might have happened that he wouldn't have anything to write about and kind of feel forced to it because the song wasn't an instrumental and had to have *any* lyrics? (see Wither's meaning).. And second, there are ppl -like me- that just prefer these kind of fictional lyrics every once in awhile..

*which isn't true; TA has a straightforward meaning about what music might become if it continues in the way it's going right now [Just like a Black Mirror episode].. The story is sort of an excuse to compliment that argument... and, again, coming from a guitar player, I wasn't expecting the super mega mindblowing plot as many seem to have expected...

Offline PetFish

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 11:36:06 PM »
I mean, they're not that bad.. Is one guy, which isn't a writer but a guitarist, this is what he does, and also the main composer of the band... and, apparently, the rest of the guys in the band don't wanna write a thing.. So it's really all about him since MP's departure..

... which really wouldn't have changed anything if MP was still around cuz he said he really didn't want to write anymore either and would be perfectly happy if JP did the rest of the writing going forward.

I also don't understand the IT to TCoT comparison.  O_o

Offline V_R11

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 02:16:07 AM »
I mean, they're not that bad.. Is one guy, which isn't a writer but a guitarist, this is what he does, and also the main composer of the band... and, apparently, the rest of the guys in the band don't wanna write a thing.. So it's really all about him since MP's departure..

... which really wouldn't have changed anything if MP was still around cuz he said he really didn't want to write anymore either and would be perfectly happy if JP did the rest of the writing going forward.

I also don't understand the IT to TCoT comparison.  O_o

I wasn't exactly comparing them. I know IT lyrics have a deep meaning but I just never liked them
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 02:48:18 AM »
But you're not allowed to dislike them. You might upset DT-Side and we wouldn't want that, so to make peace quick and avoid a full scale war, here is a vampire holding a teddy bear.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »

Didn't know that..

But yeah, hopefully in the next album we see some JM and/or JLB lyrics.. I think TA was just a separate case and that there were only JP's writing on it because it was some sort of novel or play... although in SFAM that didn't happen.. Anyways, I guess we'll see...