Author Topic: The "Home Assistant" Thread v. Ceiling Amazon is watching you  (Read 1837 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Amazon's new product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186JAEWK

I actually own a Google Home, but frankly more out of professional interest (as I'm in speech recognition myself), but it's just a glorified light switch for me.

Anybody else got  a Home or Echo? What do you think about this new product above?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The "Home Assistant" Thread v. Ceiling Amazon is watching you
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »
Amazon's new product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186JAEWK

I actually own a Google Home, but frankly more out of professional interest (as I'm in speech recognition myself), but it's just a glorified light switch for me.

Anybody else got  a Home or Echo? What do you think about this new product above?

I think most of the home tools are useless TBH. Connecting your house to the web and having smart devices is one thing, but the listening devices (echo) are something I'm not interested in. Not because I'm afraid of the government or anything, but I just don't see the need. My friends (husband and wife) outfitted their home with Echos for like $400 and I just don't see the point. The can say "Alexa. Play Pandora" and the speaker turns on, but I can say "okay google. Play pandora" to the phone in my pocket which is already connected to my bluetooth home speakers.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
I can see a market for this product.  All you need is an instagram account to know this product is right up many people's ally.  Not for me, shit I don't put enough thought into my outfit to ask an electronic device and take pictures. And like Chino, I don't care much for talking to robot to do simplistic things I can already do easily.  I don't feel the need for it.  However, smart things in your home, I"m not totally against.  I have a smart AC/Heater unit and I love being able to control it remotely.  Even from my own bed (beats getting up in the middle of the night to turn down the heat). 

My brother was telling me about a new fridge that has an LCD screen and you can push a button and through a video camera, you can see what's in the fridge from the LCD screen.  I think that's technology going too far that it's useless.... but then again, being able to access that camera when in a grocery store to determine if you need/don't need something, could actually be useful. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
I heard they are close to developing something called a pen and a piece of paper. Something abut making a list of some sort. Could also come in handy at the store. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
I can see a market for this product.  All you need is an instagram account to know this product is right up many people's ally.  Not for me, shit I don't put enough thought into my outfit to ask an electronic device and take pictures. And like Chino, I don't care much for talking to robot to do simplistic things I can already do easily.  I don't feel the need for it.  However, smart things in your home, I"m not totally against.  I have a smart AC/Heater unit and I love being able to control it remotely.  Even from my own bed (beats getting up in the middle of the night to turn down the heat). 

My brother was telling me about a new fridge that has an LCD screen and you can push a button and through a video camera, you can see what's in the fridge from the LCD screen.  I think that's technology going too far that it's useless.... but then again, being able to access that camera when in a grocery store to determine if you need/don't need something, could actually be useful.

Yeah, I don't see the need for the product, but I'm sure many will.

As to the fridge - I think the big consumer benefit is being able to see what's in your fridge when you are at the store or work or wherever, not so much when you are standing in front of it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
I don't know how much energy it saves, but I think the camera fridge is suppose to allow you to think about what you want without having to open the door and letting all the cold air out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
As a privacy nut I have nothing but disdain for these sorts of products. As a dirty old man, I'm intrigued by the inevitable hacking aspect, though. Interesting that the very first scene in the commercial is a partially obscured look at a girl sacked out on the couch.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:54 PM »
I don't know how much energy it saves, but I think the camera fridge is suppose to allow you to think about what you want without having to open the door and letting all the cold air out.

I like letting that cold air out, cools me down.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »
I will just use a mirror  :P

And I honestly don't even remember the last time I took a picture of myself. I will spare the world of that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
As a privacy nut I have nothing but disdain for these sorts of products. As a dirty old man, I'm intrigued by the inevitable hacking aspect, though. Interesting that the very first scene in the commercial is a partially obscured look at a girl sacked out on the couch.

I probably don't take it as far as el Barto - in fact, I know I don't - but this is getting to the line for me.  As it is (and I'm not at all joking here) on the odd occassion when I might happen to view NSFW pictures/videos on my phone I make sure the camera lens' are covered.   Paranoia?  Maybe. 

The one thing I would like, though, are master switches for the house.  I would love to be able to turn on the dishwasher or turn out the lights in the basement from a central location, but I don't need Kaley Cuoco talking at me from the ceiling. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
 :lol Yea I'm not always so big on talking to humans, I have no interest in talking to amazon bots or even worse, having them talk to me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »
Call me a luddite, but I am happy enough pressing buttons.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Call me a luddite, but I am happy enough pressing buttons.

PEASANT!

:heart

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »
We have an Echo and it's really nothing special. It's neat for my kiddos....although within the first twenty minutes of having it my 6 year old said "Alexa, What is Sex?" My wife quickly said "Alexa, Cancel" and we asked him...."why are you asking about sex"  He said "Well, all the commercials are always saying 'ask your doctor if you're healthy enough for sex' so I wanted to know what sex is"  :lol

I told him that it's nothing a kid needs to know or worry about....although later that night when tucking him in he said he knows that sex has something to do with Dads and Moms and babies.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »
 :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
Awesome! :lol

Kids are hilarious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
We have an Echo and it's really nothing special. It's neat for my kiddos....although within the first twenty minutes of having it my 6 year old said "Alexa, What is Sex?" My wife quickly said "Alexa, Cancel" and we asked him...."why are you asking about sex"  He said "Well, all the commercials are always saying 'ask your doctor if you're healthy enough for sex' so I wanted to know what sex is"  :lol

I told him that it's nothing a kid needs to know or worry about....although later that night when tucking him in he said he knows that sex has something to do with Dads and Moms and babies.

Not at all telling you how to parent, but if he's asking those questions, I see that you have two choices:   give him the answers he is looking for, or let him get them elsewhere (in progressively worse fashion:  books, friends, tv, the interwebs).   "Don't worry about it" is not going to cut the mustard for long, and you might as well get in front of it.   When my daughter started asking - I'd say around 7 or 8 - we told her straight up, and we didn't use euphemisms.  She's 16 now, and while she doesn't talk to me about any of it, she does to my wife and my other daughter, and it seems to be a normal fact of life for her, as opposed to something to be feared or revered to the point of recklessness.   

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »
"ok kiddo, here it goes. Dad's penis swells up through an inflood of blood, and then he projectiles semen into mommy. Usually mommy would bleed out of her vagina shortly after, but not this time. It all gets lodged in there and starts to breed. A few months in, your mom's organs are all displaced, and when she finally gives birth it's blood everywhere, including some nasty piece of afterbirth. Oh yeah, and poop got into her ripped perineum, and now she will have to be on antibiotics for a while, and have a hard time enjoying anything down there for a while.

Any questions? Good night."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »
"Echo, what's a perineum?"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »
"ok kiddo, here it goes. Dad's penis swells up through an inflood of blood, and then he projectiles semen into mommy. Usually mommy would bleed out of her vagina shortly after, but not this time. It all gets lodged in there and starts to breed. A few months in, your mom's organs are all displaced, and when she finally gives birth it's blood everywhere, including some nasty piece of afterbirth. Oh yeah, and poop got into her ripped perineum, and now she will have to be on antibiotics for a while, and have a hard time enjoying anything down there for a while.

:lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
"He said "poop"."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »

You forgot to mention "sometimes daddy eats the placenta".

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
And when the woman has four penises in her at the same time, then stands over the men and pees on them, is that part of being in love too?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
 :rollin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
And when the woman has four penises in her at the same time, then stands over the men and pees on them, is that part of being in love too?

:rollin :rollin

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 09:36:10 AM »
This thread is gold.  :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.