Author Topic: Bill Nye Saves the World  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Bill Nye Saves the World
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
Anyone else catch this new Netflix show? I had to give up after the first two episodes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Bill Nye Saves the World
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »
Anyone else catch this new Netflix show? I had to give up after the first two episodes.
Why?

I haven't started it yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »
I planned to watch it, haven't looked much into it yet. What's wrong with it? Too watered down?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Why?

I planned to watch it, haven't looked much into it yet. What's wrong with it? Too watered down?

It's honestly really cringeworthy. Bill opens the show saying that it's a science show for adults, and ten minutes in is performing second grade caliber science experiments and speaking to the audience like they're children. The audience really drags the show down to be honest. It's like having a laugh track during what should be a serious conversation. This show was supposed to challenge and educate those to oppose or disagree with science. I love science and this show turned me off. There's no way a science denier will waste one second of their life watching this. This would be good to watch with children, maybe, but I'd be shocked if either of you made it through to the end. I was hoping for a P&T Bullshit type show, and at times this feels like it's trying to be, but it falls flat at every possible turn. There was this bit where an Indian guy was lecturing white people (his words, not mine) that was trying so hard to be hip and funny, but came off as nothing more than failed/forced humor.

You'll understand where I'm coming from about 12 minutes into Episode 1.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
That's a shame. I'll still check out the first episode, but I expect that I'll feel the same way about it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 05:36:27 PM »
To be fair, there are plenty of adults who have the IQ of a walnut, so...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »
I've seen Bill Nye on TV since the 90s. That has generally always been his style.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TL

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
I watched a few episodes. I really wish it was better. I feel like they're trying to do a good thing here, and I generally really like Bill Nye, but the show just feels scattered and unfocused. There are some good pieces here and there, but the format/script really could have used a second pass to polish it up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
I don't know how any of you could trust Bill Nye.  He doesn't even know the Ideal Gas Law.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 04:40:18 AM »
Hmm I dunno, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't go as far as calling the show cringeworthy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 05:52:12 AM »
That's a shame. I'll still check out the first episode, but I expect that I'll feel the same way about it.

Yeah i couldn't watch much more than 5 minutes or so.

Stupid whooping and cheering every time he said or did anything.

Off.