Author Topic: new to dream theater; need help with  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Af

new to dream theater; need help with
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
Need some help. Brand new to discovering DT after being a huge RUSH fan for 35 years and coming across DT as "similar". Have the "Dream Theater" album, which took a while to grow on me, yet after several listens, I love songs 2,3,4, and several of the hard guitar riffs of some of the other songs. The guitar (when used), drums, and tempo changes, musicianship are fantastic, yet the soft piano, the lyrics, the interludes, and the song lengths are a detriment. The new concept album is too soft and cheesy for my taste after 2 listens, but maybe ti grows on you like RUSH does after 10 listens or so.

So I'm on here because I want to know why you like DT, what I would like next of theirs,  based on above, and whether my initial assessments are accurate or not. Thanks

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: new to dream theater; need help with
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »
If you like Rush, but like a bit of the heavier side of DT, I think I might recommend the following first:
-Scenes from a Memory:  This album is almost always in most fans' #1 or #2 spot.  It is a concept album, but also just has pretty strong individual songs.  Some of the musical themes are intentionally derived from the song Metropolis, pt. I, which is from their Images & Words album, so many might recommend that as a starting point.  The only reasons I am hesitant to recommend that is a first choice for you is, (1) the production sounds dated (it is from 1992), and (2) while it has their biggest hit (Pull Me Under) and plenty of other strong songs, it does have a couple of sappy ballads.

-Images & Words:  See above.  If the two issues I mentioned are not a problem for you, you will probably love this album.

-Awake:  Fairly concise songs (for Dream Theater).  This album is dark and moody.  There is plenty of heaviness.  The production of the album is a little different, and can catch a new listener off guard a bit at first.  If you are a fan of classic Queensryche (which I am guessing you may be based on how long you have been a Rush fan), it's sort of similar to how "harsh" the production values sound on Mindcrime.  It is jarring the first time or two that you listen, which can be distracting.  But after a few listens, you generally come to understand how it fits the album, and it transforms into a positive rather than a potential negative. 

-A Dramatic Turn of Events:  Somewhat similar to the self-titled album you have, but in many ways, also calls back to Images & Words in a more modern way. 

-Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence:  FANTASTIC ALBUM.  This one is my personal #1.  It is a double album, but only six songs, as the last song is 43 minutes long (divided into several movements that are separated with "courtesy track breaks" so fans can go straight to certain movements without listening to the entire thing if they choose).  Overall, the album is heavy.  It is experimental.  It represents the best of what makes Dream Theater who they are as a band, in my opinion.  The only reason they are my #5 choice for you instead of #1 is because, as a new fan, I could see the idea of a 43 minute song to be offputting.

I will say that, pretty much no matter which album you go with, the things you did not like "the soft piano, the lyrics, the interludes, and the song lengths," will be present to varying degrees in all of them.  The song lengths are something that will likely grow on you the more you become familiar with their music.  They do heavy and complex very well.  But they have a pretty wide variety styles and influences that they like to bring to their music, so there is generally always something to love and something to hate on every album.  :lol 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:17:21 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:56:36 AM »
Very classy for a Mod to take that kind of time assisting a new member with a DT question.

Props.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
I am a new DT fan for a little over 1 year.  I started listening on spotify when I thought, "what about that band with that rockin' song Pull Me Under?"  I think I must have started with the Greatest Hit album and found several that were heavy that I really liked. Peruvian Skies, Sacrificed Sons, Root of all Evil, Home. As I jumped around at first I was a little turned off by what I call the softer, lighter music. I then noticed that they had a new release, The Astonishing, and started to listen. Bought it, an Iron Maiden and Judas Priest disc for a road trip with my teen son.  I didn't care for Astonishing at first, it seem like just a few  heavy songs. (but I skipped a lot) 

I was curious and went to their web site and saw they were coming to a city new me and decided to go. I am an older mom and hadn't been to a concert since Metallica 18 years ago. I tried to learn the album as much as I could and read about the story and the characters. It is quite confusing otherwise. But, then, well, the concert blew me away. I could not get enough. The Astonishing was in a new light for me and I discovered that there is a Whole Lot of great music in it. Once you know it, the album is fantastic.

Then, getting more into them and giving more time to listen to the songs in their entirety, ( the songs are long, which I dig, and you miss a lot if you skip because at first your are like, "meh") I bought Scenes From a Memory. This album really is fantastic and the story (knowing the story's or the meaning of the songs makes them even better or "click") is interesting and weird.  I played the heck out of that one. It kick's butt.

By this time I just started to listen to more and more of their stuff, getting accustomed to the progginess and loving it because it was metal, but not boring. I am bored with Metallica, and many other bands I have liked.  Octavarium came about this time for me and I am not sure I would have liked it as much at first, but it is probably the best song for me because of it's uniqueness.

The nuggets of discovery (Octavarium album, story behind Change of Seasons, 12 step suite and more) are so delightful to enjoy. I tried to take my time listening so as to not burn myself out, but it has been hard.  Just recently I fell in love with Dramatic Turn of Events and even Images and Words. (I am late to the game on that one, but who cares?- it is fresh for me  :) . I love every album for different reasons. Six degrees is awesome and as a mom, nearly cry with Goodnight Kiss.

I saw their last concert 3 times and it was just as kick-butt each time even though I had seen it already. I hope you enjoy your discovery as much as I have! :heart

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
Love, love stories like this^  :tup

Ah to be in the discovery phase again.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Need some help. Brand new to discovering DT after being a huge RUSH fan for 35 years and coming across DT as "similar". Have the "Dream Theater" album, which took a while to grow on me, yet after several listens, I love songs 2,3,4, and several of the hard guitar riffs of some of the other songs. The guitar (when used), drums, and tempo changes, musicianship are fantastic, yet the soft piano, the lyrics, the interludes, and the song lengths are a detriment. The new concept album is too soft and cheesy for my taste after 2 listens, but maybe ti grows on you like RUSH does after 10 listens or so.

So I'm on here because I want to know why you like DT, what I would like next of theirs,  based on above, and whether my initial assessments are accurate or not. Thanks

Where you been, man? What the heck took so long?

When I discovered DT back in '92, my first thought was that THIS is the music Rush should be playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:37 PM »
Where you been, man?
Psst! Hey Tim!
I am an older mom and hadn't been to a concert since Metallica 18 years ago.
:loser:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
Scotty, check who I quoted and then check who you quoted! :lol

:loser: :loser:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 05:16:51 PM »
Scotty, check who I quoted and then check who you quoted! :lol

:loser: :loser:
:blush
 :facepalm:
 :rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
#Scottshmegland

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
Welcome to the board Af!  Good to see you took an interest in the Dream Theater camp.  If you started with the self titled DT12 album, that's a great place to start. I lost my copy about 2 years ago and just bought it again from the local record store the other day. I almost forgot how darn good it is!  It is well balanced with melodic and heavy stuff. For example,  The Bigger Picture followed by Behind The Veil, those two tracks are placed perfect on the album.
 As for other albums if you like heavy, Systematic Chaos is in a world of its own but it is very entertaining, except the song Repentance is a bit of a buzz-kill. Otherwize, lots of great riffs and solos throughout with good dark stories. Train Of Thought is a good solid heavy DT album ending with a great epic track!  Octavarium is an album that well represents what DT is all about, a must have!
geeeemo is spot on about The Astonishing, it grows very well after time and is one of my personal favs too.The concert was amazing, so sad it didn't get documented for a live dvd release but that's beating a dead horse at this point (hoping that I'm wrong). James Labrie shines on TA!
 As bosk said, Six Degrees is an amazing album with some of the heaviest passages they've written. They show their lighter side too, which is appropriate for the story. Epic grand finally!
Black Clouds Silver Linings has some fantastic Petrucci solos throughout. I recommend all of their albums, a gateway to a vast adventure!  ;)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:02:41 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »
Welcome, af!

Honestly, what bosk said pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't necessarily start with the concept record though.

I'd probably go:

Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Awake

>>>Then explore from there. Those three really give you a base from which modern Dream Theater stems from, IMO.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »

When I discovered DT back in '92, my first thought was that THIS is the music Rush should be playing.

I went through about almost six months of that in the second half of 1989 after When Dream and Day Unite came out. For a while there I was listening to that album more than I was Presto in the fall of 1989. Probably totally didn't get into Presto until early 1990 just in time for the tour.  When Dream And Day Unite was largely responsible for that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
Af if you want something heavier then check out Train Of Thought. But I'd go with bosk1's recommendations.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
Images and Words
Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
A Dramatic Turn of Events

also, be sure to check out DT's best epics

A Change of Seasons
Octavarium

Offline t-bone2112

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
AF, welcome to the world of DT.  It's never too late to discover and appreciate good music.

It's difficult to recommend the next albums for you, people have such different tastes.  So many fans list Awake as among their absolute favorites, but it is one of my least favorites (too dark and moody).  You never know.

Enjoy the great ride!

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
Rush fan aye? you may as well as marathon all 13 studio albums (plus A change of seasons?), an album a day/night?  :metal