Author Topic: Official Bootlegs You WISH Existed  (Read 2826 times)

Online Skeever

Official Bootlegs You WISH Existed
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
Inspired by this post
Regarding the official bootlegs and fan club cds:

Fan Club cds were actually closed down in 2004. The fact that we managed to continue on with the fan club releases for 4 years after that was luck and persistance from our part - i made a proposal for a project for 2005, and we used stuff we filmed in that project for the 2006 release as well. The 2007 release was IAW 15th and the 2008 release was prog nation tour. But we were quite clearly told to "get by by ourselves" already from 2004, and finally it "stuck" in 2008.

Official Bootlegs:
"Demos" portion was already done. No more to be released from this series. Simply because DT stopped doing demos.
"Studio" portion could probably be compiled more of, but in reality these were not highly sought after.
"Covers" portion could probably have a few more compilations, but the "album series" was done.
"Live" portion is where you could do stuff, but after a while it gets pretty darn repetetive, and not very interesting for anyone but the hardcore fans and the people attending a specific show. Those live shows selected were pretty much chosen due to their notoriety in DT history.

So I do not think we'd see that many official bootlegs even with MP continuing in the band.

XMas gift; same thing. When did MP last release a xmas gift?

Personally, here are some things I can think of that I'd be interested in, if they were ever released:
-Other live sets from the Train of Thought tour - Budokan was great, but there were supposedly better setlists and performances on that Tour (which is peak DT in my opinion)
-Full audio/video (if possible) from the acoustic shows they did with Derick (only some of this on 5 Years)
-Reprints of some fanclub CDs that are inaccessible for new fans

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Bootlegs You WISH Existed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
If there are more cover songs they performed and have in the vaults, so similar to the Uncovered album if such material exists.

Also, as I mentioned in that thread, a TA live set.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
Good thread.

Regarding some of Skeever's:

-Other live sets from the Train of Thought tour - Budokan was great, but there were supposedly better setlists and performances on that Tour (which is peak DT in my opinion)

Yeah, the sets were pretty varied.  That tour really did have a lot to offer.  Personally, I would love it if they released the San Francisco show.  I'd love a better quality version of Mother, Father (the one on the covers bootleg is from sound check and not the actual concert performance).  And the rest of the set was pretty good too.

-Full audio/video (if possible) from the acoustic shows they did with Derick (only some of this on 5 Years)

Eh, I don't really have any desire for this.  But I can see how other fans might.

-Reprints of some fanclub CDs that are inaccessible for new fans

I seem to recall there was an issue with them being able to do this, which is why they never did in the past.

Other things from my personal wishlist:
-Video of the rest of the LSFNY show (second set)
-BCSL tour
-More drummer audition video, even if it is only Mangini and not the others.
-TA tour video (there is still a very remote possibility of it being done again and filmed)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
-Video of the rest of the LSFNY show (second set)
-BCSL tour
-More drummer audition video, even if it is only Mangini and not the others.

Yea I'll gladly take these as well

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »
The only one I would be interested in if a band recording existed (which I suppose is possible, given MP's recording proclivities) would be the Glasgow show from October 18, 2000, which has to be the craziest DT show in history.  I have a fan-recorded bootleg, and it is hilarious and awesome.  The band obviously played hard, but they just as obviously are strung out and punch drunk from over a year of touring (at that point) for SFAM.  Just awesome.

Oh, here's the setlist.

1. Metropolis part 1 (w/ excerpt of Mean Street (Van Halen))
2. Overture 1928
3. Strange Deja Vu (w/ excerpt of Hot for Teacher (Van Halen))
4. Fatal Tragedy (Ass and Balls version)
5. The Mirror/The Mirror (reprise) (w/ excerpts of Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin) and Wipe Out)
6. The Canadian Rap
7. War Pigs (Black Sabbath) (w/ audience member on vocals)
8. Another Day (w/ extended keyboard solo at the end)
9. guitar solo (w/ Loch Lomond (Scottish bagpipe piece))/
10. Gladiator Theme
11. Home
12. keyboard solo (w/ excerpt of The Dance of Eternity)
13. Erotomania (w/ extended drum fills)
14. Voices
15. The Spirit Carries On
16. Learning To Live (w/ extended keyboard solo and excerpt of Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) on the last chord)
~~~encore~~~
A Change of Seasons:
17. I The Crimson Sunrise
18. II Innocence
19. III Carpe Diem
20. IV The Darkest of Winters (w/ new solos)
21. V Another World
22. VI The Inevitable Summer (w/ extended guitar solo)
23. VII The Crimson Sunset

I mean, they did an impromptu cover of War Pigs and got some drunk Scotsman out of the crowd to sing it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:31:19 PM »
Of Pigs and Chicks.  That's one of my favorite bootlegs to listen, too.

There IS a full video bootleg of Live Scenes floating around somewhere but I remember the quality not being that great. I had it at one point but lost it with a lot of stuff in the move a few years back.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:16:26 AM by Prog Snob »

Online Skeever

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
Glasgow in 2000 sounds amazing. I definitely want that.

Didn't think of Live Scenes, but yeah, that'd be great. Both sets, and given the BluRay treatment (maybe lose those special effects, and let people toggle the filmed parts on/off too).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
^ yes please, just take my money

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
Dear lord, yes. That set is awesome  :lol

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
I recall MP posted on his forum some years ago revealing what the next wave of YtseJam CDs would have been had he remained with the band, but I can't find the original post.

Anyone remember what they were, or can find the original post? I recall one would have been a compilation of pro-shot footage from the BC&SL tour... which I would dearly love to see someday, somehow...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »
I remember BCSL tour being mentioned, but that's it.  I don't remember that there was anything more specific than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
The House of Blues did a recording of Live Scenes. It was streamed live way back when. I wish this was released in full quality.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
I would looooove a video version of An Evening with JR and JP.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 02:14:13 PM »
I would looooove a video version of An Evening with JR and JP.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
When they covered The Necromancer and went into Teenage Wasteland (B.o.R).  I think it may have been at Jones Beach amphitheater, not positive on that. Also when they covered The Camera Eye in Toronto.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »
The Glasgow show was indeed glorious. "We're all burned out, you're all drunk, let's get wasted anyway between a wonderful song and another"  :metal

I wish something like that would happen to me once.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
The House of Blues did a recording of Live Scenes. It was streamed live way back when. I wish this was released in full quality.
I have that boot.  During the guitar solo intro to Through Her Eyes, JP did Amazing Grace.  *weeps*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
For starters, the bootlegs MP had lined up were:
Live series: 1998/12/30 Poughkeepsie, NY
Cover series: compilation of Rush covers
Studio series: making of SDoIT
Video series: 2009/06/14 (Download Festival) and 2010/08/08 (Summer Sonic Festival)

As for demos, yes those were completed. But since MP's left, it sounds like to a degree the guys might be demoing some songs again. I think a compilation of demos from the latest 3 albums should be doable. And as for the studio series, I think interest in it was somewhat minimal because of the lack of complete songs or near complete songs. The making of SFaM was much better than the making of FII for that very reason (and not just because of the second CD with the original mix). If the making of SDoIT, 8v or any other album was more in the format of the making of SDoIT, I think there might be more interest.

BTW, regarding the reissuing of fan club CDs as official bootlegs, I don't think there's a problem with doing that. Perfect example is the fact that the making of FII is exactly the same as the 1997 fan club CD, aside from the artwork.

As for my wishes, hold on to your britches kiddies! There's a reason why I dream about being let loose in the vault that's at MP's house!
1986/06/10  Freeport, Long Island, NY (Right Track Inn) - MP explained that unlike other early CC shows, the ones at the Right Track Inn were properly mixed, so he should have soundboard recordings of these shows (others were recorded on boomboxes from the audience)
1986/07/06  Freeport, Long Island, NY (Right Track Inn)
1986/07/24  Freeport, Long Island, NY (Right Track Inn)
1989/11/14  New York City, NY (Ritz Club) – video of full show (part of which can be seen on the WDaDR video)
1992/10/04  Deer Park, Long Island, NY (Sparks) – killer performance by JL
1993/01/02  Deer Park, Long Island, NY (Sparks) – rare show with LFaGA with JL and KM
1993/04/12  Bonn, Germany (Biskuithalle) – the other show with JL singing the original version of ACoS
1993/11/24  Nottingham, England (Rock City) – show where JL jumps into the audience to confront a heckler
1994/10/25  Toronto, ON (RPM Warehouse) – show where MP’s back goes out, resulting in improv jam/also is an early Waking Up the World show (before IF and TOWHtStS are dropped)
1995/01/31  London, England (Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club / Uncovered gig) - complete
1995/12/29  Old Bridge, NJ (Birch Hill Nite Club) – arguably the best of the HftH 95 shows
1997/04/19  Bonn, Germany (Biskuithalle) – premiere of Nightmare Cinema
1998/01/16  Tokyo, Japan (Tokyo Koseinenkin Hall) – rare performance of YNM and NC doing both Perfect Strangers and Suicide Solution
1998/05/17  Los Angeles, CA (House of Blues) – companion to the 5/18 show (already officially released) with fairly different setlist
1998/06/22  Rotterdam, Netherlands (Nighttown) – complete
1998/06/25  Paris, France (Le Bataclan) – complete and undoctored
1998/12/26  Old Bridge, NJ (Birch Hill Nite Club) – all of the HftH 98 shows!
1998/12/27  Philadelphia, PA (The Electric Factory)
1998/12/28  New Haven, CT (Toad's Place)
1998/12/29  New York City, NY (Irving Plaza)
1998/12/30  Poughkeepsie, NY (The Chance)
2000/05/16  Tokyo, Japan (Shibuya Kokaido) – complete SFaM show with all the medleys played up to that point
2000/10/18  Glasgow, Scotland (The Garage)
2002/02/18  Barcelona, Spain (Razzmatazz) – complete
2002/02/19  Barcelona, Spain (Razzmatazz) – complete (not just MoP) and not doctored
2003/07/11  Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach Amphitheater) – Necromancer cover
2004/01/29  Paris, France (Le Zenith) – long early ToT show
2004/04/03  New York City (The Theater at Madison Square Garden) – homecoming ToT gig
2004/09/01  Ottawa, ON (Capital Music Hall) – club show with full SdoIT, stand alone improv jam, LtL and ItNoG
2005/10/24  London, England (Hammersmith Apollo) – complete
2005/10/25  London, England (Hammersmith Apollo) – complete (not just DSotM)
2006/03/28  Upper Darby (Philadelphia), PA (Tower Theatre) – love this setlist
2008/03/03  Buenos Aires, Argentina (Luna Park Stadium) – between this show and next, good mix of songs
2008/03/04  Buenos Aires, Argentina (Luna Park Stadium)
2009/08/29  Los Angeles, CA (The Greek Theatre) – crazy show including Dweezil and Vai soloing
2009/12/07  Melbourne, Australia (Palais Theatre) – between this show and next, good mix of songs
2009/12/08  Melbourne, Australia (Palais Theatre)
2011/07/04  Rome, Italy (Ippodromo delle Capannelle – Rock in Roma) – first show with MM
2012/08/30  Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Citibank Hall) – second last show of Dramatic tour
2012/09/01  Brasilia, Brazil (Ulysses Guimaraes) – last show of Dramatic tour
2014/10/30  Sydney, Australia (Big Top Luna Park) – last show of Along for the Ride tour
2015/08/02  Helsinki, Finland (House of Culture – Radio City South Park) – full 2015 setlist
2016/11/06  St. Louis, MO (Peabody Opera House) – last complete Astonishing show
2017/01/31  Rome, Italy (Auditorium Parco della Musica) – show before 2 songs dropped
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »
Quite the list  :lol

I was thinking back on the shows I personally went to and if there was anything worthy of being on a live release. 

I'd say one DVD/CD of both of these shows combined might be a sick concert (no overlapping songs) back to back nights at Terminal 5 in NYC from the ProgNation tour plus the CiM DVD was kind of a dud in terms of quality:

May 21, 2008:

Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
The Dark Eternal Night
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo (percussive nation)
As I Am
The Ministry of Lost Souls

Encore:
Metropolis Pt. 1/Learning to Live/A Change of Seasons: VII The Crimson Sunset

May 22, 2008:

In the Presence of Enemies, Part I
Beyond This Life
Misunderstood
Forsaken
Erotomania
Voices
Repentance (with Mikael Εkerfeldt) (and keep the mic fuck up in the video, it's great)
Take the Time

Encore:
Schmedley Wilcox

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
I would love the ADTOE demos with the drum machine but I doubt they will ever release it thanks to the inevitable comparisons to the real drums and people crapping on Mike for not changing things enough in some songs vs. others. 

I remember Mike saying that at times he played the parts pretty close to what JP programmed them as because that's how he would have played them anyway but other times he let loose. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
Honestly, I don't think we'd ever see the demos to the entire album, but I don't think say, OTBOA should be out of the question.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:30:18 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »

I was at that show! :metal

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 04:50:06 AM »
I would love the ADTOE demos with the drum machine but I doubt they will ever release it thanks to the inevitable comparisons to the real drums and people crapping on Mike for not changing things enough in some songs vs. others. 

I remember Mike saying that at times he played the parts pretty close to what JP programmed them as because that's how he would have played them anyway but other times he let loose.

I agree fully with this assessment - and in fact I have inquired as to whether this was something possible to do, and their reasoning for why it may not be interesting to do is exactly the reason you proposed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »

*snip*

I knew your list would be something phenomenal.  :lol  You mentioned quite a few on my list, which I am too lazy to even write out. I'm surprised you didn't put the Huntington shows from a couple of years ago, when they played TLF.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »

Video series: 2009/06/14 (Download Festival) and 2010/08/08 (Summer Sonic Festival)

*snip

Great list.  We can always count on you :)

This is what immediately came to mind when I saw this thread.  I know that BC&SL is not that popular but I just love it.  To not have a live video for that album is just a shame.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »

I agree fully with this assessment - and in fact I have inquired as to whether this was something possible to do, and their reasoning for why it may not be interesting to do is exactly the reason you proposed.

Meaning you just inquired and are waiting for a response or have they already answered? 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »

Yeah, it was a Florida show.  I recorded the live stream on cassette tape the day it was happening.  Have not listened to any unofficial bootlegs to compare quality, so I'm not sure if what I have is any better or worse of what already exists.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
Most of the bootlegs out there are all based off the live stream, just with different titles.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 04:16:06 AM »
This one, I have always lived in hope of this appearing at some point.
Reason highlighted at the end.

3/20/2002 Toronto, ON

Venue: The Docks
Other Act(s): no opening act

Set List:
Finally Free outro (intro tape)
1. The Glass Prison
2. Strange Deja Vu
3. Through My Words
4. Fatal Tragedy
5. guitar solo/
6. Scarred/
7. 2112 Grand Finale (Rush) (w/ YYZ (Rush) snippet)
8. Surrounded
9. Another Hand/
10. The Killing Hand
11. Misunderstood
12. Lie (w/ Tool jam)
13. The Spirit Carries On
14. Pull Me Under
~~~intermission~~~
15. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence:
I Overture (orchestra-only intro tape)
16. II About to Crash
17. III War Inside My Head
18. IV The Test That Stumped Them All
19. V Goodnight Kiss
20. VI Solitary Shell
21. VII About to Crash (reprise)
22. VIII Losing Time/Grand Finale
~~~encore~~~
23. Home
24. Hollow Years
25. Take the Time (w/ excerpts of Working Man (Rush) and By-Tor (Rush))

Vocals: James LaBrie
Guitar: John Petrucci
Keyboards: Jordan Rudess
Bass: John Myung
Drums: Mike Portnoy

Notes: Wrestler Chris Jericho (who happens to be a huge DT fan) joined in on vocals for Pull Me Under.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 05:32:23 AM »
The last batch that MP mentioned would have been great to hear. It's a pity things can't be amicable enough so that some more of the earlier nuggets could be released periodically like they were when Mike was actively involved. I really anticipated & looked forward to each batch. Too bad not everyone was on the same page in regards to bootlegs. We're just all children of divorced parents & miss out on all the goodies in this instance....

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a resurgence of these official bootlegs (maybe branded differently) after DT either slows down or retires.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »
Fan Club reissues:
Cleaning Out The Closet - It baffles me that Mike didn't do this while he was still in the band. For me, it's the #1 thing for them to do if they bring the official bootlegs back.
Romavarium - It kicked ass!

Live shows:
1998-12-30 - The most complete(And apparently best performance) of all the December '98 shows. The GDT compilation of the December '98 shows apparently used this show as the main source.
1998-06-22 - Full video of it. The audio version is my favourite DT bootleg, and I'd kill for a proper video version of it.

Other live stuff:
Majesty-era compilation DVD - Material from the Collins and Dominici eras, including the Dominici-era A Vision and pieces of A Change Of Seasons, aswell as a Collins version of Afterlife where you can actually hear the lyrics.
Black Clouds DVD - Compilation like 5 Years or Chaos In Motion, covering the Black Clouds tour. This was in the pipeline when MP left, allegedly.
Deleted scenes compilation DVD - Full video of all the songs cut from Live In Tokyo(We got Another Day on Score, but we're still missing Metropolis, Mission Impossible/Afterlife, Eve, and Learning To Live), and Metropolis 2000(Some of it was on disc 3 of the CD version, but in very low quality), plus maybe some of the stuff Mike Portnoy originally wanted to put on 5 Years In A LIVEtime that had to be cut for time, if there's any space for it.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal