Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56463 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
To be honest i have mixed feelings about DT posting in FB this question.
I know TA has created a lot of controversy, but first the I&W tour, then this, i feel like they're doing things for the fans' (and their pockets) sake.
Of course TA is the exact opposite of this, but seems like after the criticism they are looking to re-orient themselves into what the fanbase would expect.

From my point off view, i like DT at their most experimental (SDOIT for example) so i would really love them to get together and make a record without any pre-conceived idea. Something organic and spontaneous, and collaborative.

This is spot on - basically since MP left each record has felt like it had a preconceived theme or idea. ADTOE was the "classic" DT album, DT was the "short song structure with an epic at the end" album and TA obviously was very pre-planned. Now don't get me wrong, I've liked all the MM era albums they are actually aging pretty well for me, so I'm not saying those albums are bad, just that I'd love to see them have no preconceived idea and just write and experiment. SDOIT is the perfect example of this, IMO. They had the very well thought out title track, but then also the experimental tracks.

Also, hopefully they'll mix up the engineering-mixing-producing aspect a bit. I would really like to hear a less processed, more organic sound with powerful drums and clarity. More crazy Mangini is never a bad idea.

Well, yea. Ditto, but I've seen nothing to suggest they are moving away from Rich. I really wish they would, but they seem super happy with him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
I'm sure it's just fan engagement. These guys aren't spring chickens... they'll make what they want to make, but I see nothing wrong with asking the fans what they would like to hear.

Exactly. It's just a way of engaging with the fans, it's not like JP and Jordan are waiting for the fb comments to start writing the album or whatever. Even James said they already have a very good idea of what they're going to do on the album. They only need to start writing and recording material on the direction they already planned.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
THEY ARE SPYING US!!!!!!

DT just posted on FB this very question, basically copying and pasting the title thread and the four poll options!

That guy who suggested they do bluegrass is my favorite. I'd also be curious to see how the'd rework some songs off of WD&DU (which was another popular comment) as a side release like Haken's Restoration or something.

And the number of people who want Metropolis Pt 3 really shows that the fans should not be in charge of the music in any way whatsoever. I'm seeing a lot of stupid suggestions in the fb comments really

Pretty much everyone in the band has said (repeatedly) that the album is going to be a bit on the heavy side (which, hilariously, was also the clear winner in their poll lol). I think this is mostly just to drive up fan engagement and keep The Band and the Brand (dibs on that album name) in the fans' minds. We're probably not getting an album til 2019 so they need to do something to keep the fans hooked lol.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
We're probably not getting an album til 2019 so they need to do something to keep the fans hooked lol.

This is why I wish they posted more studio updates and short clips of things they are working on during their writing or recording times. Many bands do this and it's not hard at all, just take out your phone, record it, post it and that's it. It's a great way to engage the fans during a long wait like that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
And the number of people who want Metropolis Pt 3 really shows that the fans should not be in charge of the music in any way whatsoever.

Do they even listen to the songs or the interviews?  :lol I have nothing but absolute, wild, full, untethered, unchecked and fanboyish praise, love, adoration and devotion for Metropolis pt.1 and Scenes from a Memory, but the band is on record saying that they added "pt. 1" just for the lulz and that they wanted to do a concept album and the idea to tie it with Metropolis, with a plot HEAVILY lifted from the Dead Again movie, came only later.

Furthermore, every character of the saga died in two chronologies, except for the villain. What even a part 3 is supposed to be about?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
And the number of people who want Metropolis Pt 3 really shows that the fans should not be in charge of the music in any way whatsoever.

Do they even listen to the songs or the interviews?  :lol I have nothing but absolute, wild, full, untethered, unchecked and fanboyish praise, love, adoration and devotion for Metropolis pt.1 and Scenes from a Memory, but the band is on record saying that they added "pt. 1" just for the lulz and that they wanted to do a concept album and the idea to tie it with Metropolis, with a plot HEAVILY lifted from the Dead Again movie, came only later.

Furthermore, every character of the saga died in two chronologies, except for the villain. What even a part 3 is supposed to be about?  :lol

Part 3 is about the guy who sold Nicholas his record player. Turns out it's HAUNTED! :metardica:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
His record player, or his music player?

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »

It'd be about a dystopian future where the population is controlled (and, spoiler alert, sometimes exploded) by giant Noise Machines controlled by the tyrannical Greater Northern Empire. They ban all music while hypocritically still keeping some for themselves and rule with an iron fist. Then, in the village of Ravenskill a man named Gabriel is discovered to have strong musical abilities and a singing voice that can heal wounds, deafen, change moods, and give people physical strength. His brother Ahrys wants him to use his singing voice to power up the troops so they can overthrow the GNE and avenge the death of his dead wife Evangeline. Gabriel is hesitant to do so. Then word of Gabriel's powers reaches the Lord Nafaryus (who's real name is actually - spoilers again- Edward) and he goes to Ravenskill to investigate. There Gabriel demonstrates his powers to Nafaryus who's impressed and moved. Nafaryus' daughter Faythe is then like "yo this reminds me of my childhood when I was running around listening to my music playah". Low and behold Faythe and Gabriel get the hots for each other start eyeshagging each other and Nafaryus is like "hell naw" and gives Ravenskill three days to surrender Gabriel or be destroyed.

Ahrys and Gabriel have an argument about his magic voice and giving him up to the army, while Faythe tries to convince her mother Arabelle to let her go and parlay with Ravenskill. She agrees, but sends her brother Daryus out there with her. Daryus has a real chip on his shoulder, because Faythe is daddy's favorite and no one has given him those cool nicknames like Faythe and Nafaryus which is a super important part of their family. Faythe manages to parlay with Ahrys and Gabriel (who btw also gave himself one of those names to mock the royal family), and Faythe and Gabriel exchange numbers and text each other "send nudes winky face". Faythe returns to try to convince her dad to parlay with her new daddy, while the family disappointment kidnaps Ahrys's son Xander and says "Yo Ahrys, Wonder Woman's coming for ya. Also, your brother or your son you decide". Ahrys is conflicted but decides to give up Gabriel, while Faythe convinces her dad to parlay with Gabriel at the Heaven's Cove amphitheater.

On the night of the third day, the moon starts hurtling towards the Earth. Also, Ahrys gets cold feet and goes to the amphitheater to confront Daryus. After dropping some mad bars, Daryus and Ahrys start duking it out but it turns out Xander followed Ahrys there. Daryus is like "hell naw" and explodes Ahrys' organs with a NOMAC. In front of his like 10 year old. Geez. Just as Daryus is about to finish off Xander (GEEZ), a hooded figure starts walking by and Daryus is like "yo this is that chosen one lemme ice this dude so dad loves me". So he stabs the hooded figure, and it turns out its his sister Faythe. Oops. She's like "you jerk you stabbed me" and starts dying. Gabriel shows up and is understandably mad that Daryus stabbed his honey, so they starts fighting (Xander too). Gabriel's like "hell naw" and uses a magic scream to deafen Daryus. Nafaryus and Arabelle show up and they're like "yo what why's everyone dead", and Daryus is like "WHAT'S THAT?". Gabriel starts given a "Previously on The Astonishing", and Nafaryus is like "bro you're magic heal our BABY". Gabriel's like "can't fam in law, I lost my voice" and Daryus is like "WHAT's THAT?". Then the townsfolk all come about and sing an anthem for Gabriel, someone gets him some herbal tea which inspires him to heal Faythe's wounds with his voice. Nafaryus is like "thanks fam" and deactivates the NOMACs and pardons Daryus, who's like "WHAT'S THAT?". No more dictatorship, and Faythe and Gabriel start going steady. Fin.

That's how I imagine it'd go.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
Just as Daryus is about to finish off Xander (GEEZ), a hooded figure starts walking by and Daryus is like "yo this is that chosen one lemme ice this dude so dad loves me". So he stabs the hooded figure, and it turns out its his sister Faythe. Oops. She's like "you jerk you stabbed me" and starts dying.

:rollin

Please remind me of the plot of Scenes from a Memory 'cause I forgot about it  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
THEY ARE SPYING US!!!!!!

DT just posted on FB this very question, basically copying and pasting the title thread and the four poll options!

Well, you've got people like me and Noxon on this forum, so...  Reminds me of this dialog from The Firm:

Avery Tolar: How'd you find that out?

Bill DeVasher: What do you think I am around here, the fucking night watchman?

Avery Tolar: I get confused sometimes.

Bill DeVasher: Well, don't.

;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 25, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »

Did they have MP3 players back in Ye Olde 1999?  I was 8, so I can't remember. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
Just as Daryus is about to finish off Xander (GEEZ), a hooded figure starts walking by and Daryus is like "yo this is that chosen one lemme ice this dude so dad loves me". So he stabs the hooded figure, and it turns out its his sister Faythe. Oops. She's like "you jerk you stabbed me" and starts dying.

Please remind me of the plot of Scenes from a Memory 'cause I forgot about it  :lol

You got it.

So this dude Nicholas starts having weird dreams about some chick named Victoria. And not the normal weird dreams that people named Nicholas have about chicks named Victoria. Turns out Victoria's some crazy ghost chick who keeps trying to tell him something, but he doesn't speak ghost so he's like "lady, I don't speak ghost". So he goes to a hypnotherapist to see if the hypnotherapist can help him understand ghostspeak. The hypnotherapist's response is "uh you got insurance bro" and Nicholas is like "fo sho eezy man". So the hypnotherapist sends Nicholas to napville 1928 where he sees Victoria. She's like "yo I was you in a past life and I got murdered help me solve the mystery" and Nicholas is like "I gotchu, uh me". Turns out Victoria's honey Julian had some drinking and gambling problems so she bounces out of there and hooks up with his brother Edward. Nicky boy jumps to conclusions and is like "a ha! Julian did it in the foyer with a can of mustard" because he saw a newspaper. Nick talks to some geezer and old school is like "yo bro that's fake news". Mr. Easily Swayed starts doubting the conclusions he jumped to and decides to not rest until he solves the murder of his hotter past self.

We cut to Julian who's all about that snow and dice. There's an obligatory sex scene (because OF COURSE THERE IS) and Victoria bounces for real, except now on to Edward's lap. Ed is like "nah it ain't right she's with my bro", but then 3 minutes later he's like "but I haven't gotten that good ladytime in like a month so" and Eddy ends up sleeping with Victoria. Captain Time Travel is like "a ha! Julian did in the library with a wrench because of the affair!" because the newspaper again. But this time the old man isn't around to say fake news so he's like "problem solved I'm going home". The hypnotherapist is like "cool, I'm bringing you up now that'll be $30,000" but Vicky is naggin him like "THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED STUPID GET BACK HERE". But Sherlock already went home to be with his wife and kids (btw he has a wife and kids forgot to mention that earlier), or a hotel to meet with his side ho. It's not clear. He's all like "yo I'm glad I solved this mystery, if I bit it tomorrow I'd be chill, not that that's ever going to happen nudge nudge wink wink". We cut back to 1928, when PLOT TWIST IT WAS EDWARD. Apparently Victor was like "nah Julie's a better shag so I'm going back to him" but Senator Edward (btw he's like a senator or something) was like "OH NO YOU AIN'T" and ices the both of them, framing it on Julian. Before doing so, he tells Vic to open her eyes (which is what the therapist said to wake him up hint hint). So anyways, back to present day. Nicholas turns off CNN, pours himself a scotch on the rocks, and listens to some triumphant classical on his record player (true story Nick is an audiophile kind of guy). But Senior Stupid over here left the door open and the Hypnotherapist comes in and is like "open your eyes" and shanks the dude. With a bullet. That he fired from the gun. Turns out the hypnotherapist was the reincarnated Edward. Plot twist! He then knocks over the record player, which kills it and a bunch of static comes out. A horrifying double murder. Fin.

Did they have MP3 players back in Ye Olde 1999?  I was 8, so I can't remember. :lol

Yes, but most people either listened to music on CDs or radios. It wasn't until the mid 2000s that iPods and other mp3 players caught on.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
But Sherlock already went home to be with his wife and kids (btw he has a wife and kids forgot to mention that earlier),

Don't worry, DT too basically kinda forgot to mention it earlier or later than Through Her Eyes or having it matter in any kind of way whatsoever  :lol

Brilliant staff  :hefdaddy

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »

You got it.

So this dude Nicholas starts having weird dreams about some chick named Victoria. And not the normal weird dreams that people named Nicholas have about chicks named Victoria. Turns out Victoria's some crazy ghost chick who keeps trying to tell him something, but he doesn't speak ghost so he's like "lady, I don't speak ghost". So he goes to a hypnotherapist to see if the hypnotherapist can help him understand ghostspeak. The hypnotherapist's response is "uh you got insurance bro" and Nicholas is like "fo sho eezy man". So the hypnotherapist sends Nicholas to napville 1928 where he sees Victoria. She's like "yo I was you in a past life and I got murdered help me solve the mystery" and Nicholas is like "I gotchu, uh me". Turns out Victoria's honey Julian had some drinking and gambling problems so she bounces out of there and hooks up with his brother Edward. Nicky boy jumps to conclusions and is like "a ha! Julian did it in the foyer with a can of mustard" because he saw a newspaper. Nick talks to some geezer and old school is like "yo bro that's fake news". Mr. Easily Swayed starts doubting the conclusions he jumped to and decides to not rest until he solves the murder of his hotter past self.

We cut to Julian who's all about that snow and dice. There's an obligatory sex scene (because OF COURSE THERE IS) and Victoria bounces for real, except now on to Edward's lap. Ed is like "nah it ain't right she's with my bro", but then 3 minutes later he's like "but I haven't gotten that good ladytime in like a month so" and Eddy ends up sleeping with Victoria. Captain Time Travel is like "a ha! Julian did in the library with a wrench because of the affair!" because the newspaper again. But this time the old man isn't around to say fake news so he's like "problem solved I'm going home". The hypnotherapist is like "cool, I'm bringing you up now that'll be $30,000" but Vicky is naggin him like "THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED STUPID GET BACK HERE". But Sherlock already went home to be with his wife and kids (btw he has a wife and kids forgot to mention that earlier), or a hotel to meet with his side ho. It's not clear. He's all like "yo I'm glad I solved this mystery, if I bit it tomorrow I'd be chill, not that that's ever going to happen nudge nudge wink wink". We cut back to 1928, when PLOT TWIST IT WAS EDWARD. Apparently Victor was like "nah Julie's a better shag so I'm going back to him" but Senator Edward (btw he's like a senator or something) was like "OH NO YOU AIN'T" and ices the both of them, framing it on Julian. Before doing so, he tells Vic to open her eyes (which is what the therapist said to wake him up hint hint). So anyways, back to present day. Nicholas turns off CNN, pours himself a scotch on the rocks, and listens to some triumphant classical on his record player (true story Nick is an audiophile kind of guy). But Senior Stupid over here left the door open and the Hypnotherapist comes in and is like "open your eyes" and shanks the dude. With a bullet. That he fired from the gun. Turns out the hypnotherapist was the reincarnated Edward. Plot twist! He then knocks over the record player, which kills it and a bunch of static comes out. A horrifying double murder. Fin.

Omg pleez do this for every DT song and every concept album ever made.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: May 25, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
Ninja put a lot of work into that. Well done.  :lol

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #470 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
Ninja put a lot of work into that. Well done.  :lol

That depends on what your definition of "is" "a lot of work" is. And what your definition of "well done" is. And what your definition of "put" is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: May 25, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »

Metropolis Part 3:  Victoria's Secret.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
Man, this post seems to have SMASHED it OUT of the PARK with getting fans engaged. 2.7k comments, 2.3k shares, and 14k reactions (plus smaller numbers on other pages that have shared the post) in 9 hours. Those are some freaking crazy numbers

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #474 on: May 26, 2018, 04:18:04 AM »
Man, this post seems to have SMASHED it OUT of the PARK with getting fans engaged. 2.7k comments, 2.3k shares, and 14k reactions (plus smaller numbers on other pages that have shared the post) in 9 hours. Those are some freaking crazy numbers

Mission accomplished then. As others have pointed out, it was just a way to draw attention to the band at the start of a new album cycle, I doubt that they're gonna re-arrange the writing sessions to focus more on the style that won the poll  :hat

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #475 on: May 26, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
I really hope they include many ideas by Mangini and Myung this time, since they were ignored for TA. Some of my favorite parts on DT12 are bass/drums grooves.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #476 on: May 26, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
I really hope they include many ideas by Mangini and Myung this time, since they were ignored for TA. Some of my favorite parts on DT12 are bass/drums grooves.

Yes! This can't be stressed enough!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #477 on: May 26, 2018, 08:39:41 AM »

Mission accomplished then. As others have pointed out, it was just a way to draw attention to the band at the start of a new album cycle, I doubt that they're gonna re-arrange the writing sessions to focus more on the style that won the poll  :hat

I don't think they'd have to haha, the clear winner is in line with what they say the direction on the next album is.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #478 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
A song with Claudio Sanchez as the lead singer.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #479 on: May 26, 2018, 08:21:06 PM »
Anything but a concept album and no more orchestration and cheesy keyboard sounds. Something closer to Awake.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
Anything but a concept album and no more orchestration and cheesy keyboard sounds. Something closer to Awake.

They, in fact, have confirmed the new album won't be conceptual and that it'll be on the heavier side. I'd prefer something heavy like SC and Awake over 'heavy for the sake of heavy', like TOT. I also expect them to write longer songs this time, since the last two albums have mostly short(er) tracks.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: May 27, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »

Um, reincarnation plays a major part in the story.  So, they can just do another incarnation of the characters.  Maybe set the next one in 2028.

One of my favorite book series (Katharine Kerr's Deverry Cycle) has a reincarnation theme, and was able to sustain 13 novels, so I don't see it as at all ridiculous to extend the Metropolis story, if they were so inclined.  And it wouldn't even have to be a full album, again.  It could be a single song epilogue.

I'm not saying they should do Met. 3, but there are plenty of ways to continue the story if they wanted.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: May 27, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »

Something that bugs the hell out of me is when people call keyboard sounds 'cheesy.' What cheesy keyboard sounds were there on The Astonishing? Serious question. What makes a keyboard sound 'cheesy'? 80s synths in all that mom and dad lite-rock I get, but I haven't heard one cheesy keyboard sound in DT's entire history.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »

Something that bugs the hell out of me is when people call keyboard sounds 'cheesy.' What cheesy keyboard sounds were there on The Astonishing? Serious question. What makes a keyboard sound 'cheesy'? 80s synths in all that mom and dad lite-rock I get, but I haven't heard one cheesy keyboard sound in DT's entire history.

Now there's something we definitely agree on.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »

idk, I personally find some of the sounds on I&W and Awake (and to a lesser extent, FII) to be a little on the cheesy side. It may just because the quality of synthesizers have advanced a lot since then, but they sound SUPER dated today and they don't sound dated enough to be considered "nostalgic" imo.

Most of the keyboard parts on The Astonishing are Steinway Grand or Hammond B3s parts. I think you can count the number of synth moments in the album on one hand.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »

Um, reincarnation plays a major part in the story.  So, they can just do another incarnation of the characters.  Maybe set the next one in 2028.

One of my favorite book series (Katharine Kerr's Deverry Cycle) has a reincarnation theme, and was able to sustain 13 novels, so I don't see it as at all ridiculous to extend the Metropolis story, if they were so inclined.  And it wouldn't even have to be a full album, again.  It could be a single song epilogue.

I'm not saying they should do Met. 3, but there are plenty of ways to continue the story if they wanted.

Well, didn't think about it honestly. You're right.

Now, once we estabilished that there are ways to continue the story.... do we all agree they shouldn't at all?  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »

Well, didn't think about it honestly. You're right.

Now, once we estabilished that there are ways to continue the story.... do we all agree they shouldn't at all?  :lol

Totally agree.  Leave it be; let it be the masterpiece that it is, and focus on something new.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »

Valid question and in the eye of the beholder of course. Can’t answer the question with regard to The Astonishing since every attempt to listen all the way through it has been futile. It usually stops when the first “my music player” phrase makes its impact.
But seriously, maybe I’m too much a kid of eighties but I actually prefer some of those older sounds. I don’t like Jordan’s selections usually. And I can’t specify more since I don’t play keyes and can only say yay or nay to what is presented to me.
The worst is the fake orchestration parts or anything that sounds like it should be at the circus.
And I know that he is a fantastic player and great musician.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #488 on: May 28, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
I want DT14 to be a move away from the gothic sounds, the melodramatic epic orchestral stuff, the dark and stormy riffs, the predictable vocal lines, etc... I don't care for the overall ambiance of the 2010s albums compared to the 2000s. The last two albums have felt like one long ballad with lots of crazy instrumental stuff in between.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #489 on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
THEY ARE SPYING US!!!!!!

I ACTUALLY feel honored that DT posted a thread started by me on their facebook page. 
:metal :metal :metal