Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56449 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »
Good tune. An example of them succeeding at being heavy without trying so hard at it. Just my opinion! MoB is heavy DT done right, doesn't sound forced like The Enemy Inside.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
Good tune. An example of them succeeding at being heavy without trying so hard at it. Just my opinion! MoB is heavy DT done right, doesn't sound forced like The Enemy Inside.

Interesting. What is forced about 'The Enemy Inside' which isn't forced about 'Moment of Betrayal'? On a surface level, I'd say that they're pretty similar songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »

Interesting. What is forced about 'The Enemy Inside' which isn't forced about 'Moment of Betrayal'? On a surface level, I'd say that they're pretty similar songs.
Moment of Betrayal has a sense of urgency and is a better song imo,  the chorus is more catchy and the song has more substance than The Enemy Inside.  Both are good songs, MOB has the upper edge for me.  Behind The Veil beats them both as far as a heavier DT song..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Honestly it's hard to pinpoint and just comes down to me not digging the vibe of the song at all. The melody isn't heavy or aggressive enough to match the furious riff (which is really cool by the way) and it just doesn't have the same oomph. MoB sounds like classic heavy DT right down to the synths, but Enemy Inside to me just sounds like it's trying to be heavier than it actually is. To me there's a sense of urgency - thanks Arch, that is exactly the term I was looking for - and organized chaos in MoB that is noticeably heavier and more 'metal.'
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
Behind The Veil beats them both as far as a heavier DT song..  :metal

I don't disagree with this :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »

Honestly it's hard to pinpoint and just comes down to me not digging the vibe of the song at all. The melody isn't heavy or aggressive enough to match the furious riff (which is really cool by the way) and it just doesn't have the same oomph. MoB sounds like classic heavy DT right down to the synths, but Enemy Inside to me just sounds like it's trying to be heavier than it actually is. To me there's a sense of urgency - thanks Arch, that is exactly the term I was looking for - and organized chaos in MoB that is noticeably heavier and more 'metal.'

I think I get what you mean. The heaviness in TEI is not as unified. The vocals are quite tame in comparison to the heavy backing and it kind of gets stuck in the verse rhythm for a while. Not the most dynamic song, I'll admit. There is more momentum to MoB, more things happening and has a good dynamic progression. Even though TEI has heavy riffs, it doesn't have a lot of aggression either.

It's also quite slow for a metal track, only around 130 bpm or so in the verses. MoB is actually quite a bit faster on a consistent basis (around 150-180 bpm). Might explain the urgency.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »
Yeah, I remember when the album first came out, and not being overly thrilled with TEI.  I didn't dislike it.  But I wasn't crazy about it either.  JP asked me what I thought, obviously excited about the new material and "lead single," and I struggled a bit with how to be honest while also being polite and not dampen his enthusiasm.  I think I said something about liking it, but not really having had a good opportunity to properly digest it and appreciate what was going on, whereas some of the other songs on the album grabbed me more quickly.  But seeing it live definitely helped and gave me a better appreciation for the song that has continued. 

Moment of Betrayal was an immediate like from the time I first heard it on the advance promo sampler.  But as much as I liked it initially, I have to say that it has an even greater impact when hearing it in context of the album flowing right from 2285 Entr'acte.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #427 on: March 28, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
I personally think TEI is a great opening concert track. I like that song A LOT. But it is IMHO inferior, in terms of musical quality, to BTV or TBP

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #428 on: March 28, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
But yes, another album in the vein of DT12 would certainly satisfy me in every level.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #429 on: April 05, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »
If I understood James's Facebook story right, there's going to be a new album in June?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #430 on: April 05, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
If I understood James's Facebook story right, there's going to be a new album in June?

Wait WHAT

June 2019, or not? Last info I heard was that they haven't even recorded anything yet. Plus, they would have posted something by now.

EDIT Ah, just looked it up: He said, that recording the new album will begin in June.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2018, 08:03:53 AM »
^ Right, they are supposed to be getting together over the summer to start writing the new record.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »
Yes, I think Jordan said they’ll enter the studio around May or June to start working on DT14. I seriously cannot wait :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
I still think recording Analog would make for a really good sounding DT album..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
I know this kind of sums up the above, but:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-to-begin-work-on-new-album-in-june-february-2019-release-expected/

February release is the aim  :metal

Also says JLB is working on a new solo album  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
Yeah, I remember when the album first came out, and not being overly thrilled with TEI.  I didn't dislike it.  But I wasn't crazy about it either.  JP asked me what I thought, obviously excited about the new material and "lead single," and I struggled a bit with how to be honest while also being polite and not dampen his enthusiasm.

Sorry for going off topic. I always wondered are you friends with Petrucci? That's kind of cool that he asked you about your thoughts on the last album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
Yeah, I remember when the album first came out, and not being overly thrilled with TEI.  I didn't dislike it.  But I wasn't crazy about it either.  JP asked me what I thought, obviously excited about the new material and "lead single," and I struggled a bit with how to be honest while also being polite and not dampen his enthusiasm.

Sorry for going off topic. I always wondered are you friends with Petrucci? That's kind of cool that he asked you about your thoughts on the last album.

I know him because of my work here.  We chat via email every now and then, and I always get to sit and hang with him and the band after (and sometimes for a bit before) shows when they are in town.  He has told me he considers me a "friend," but I think he is just being kind.  I can't say we know each other well enough to really be considered friends.  But then again, for his part, it's amazing to me the little, seemingly insignificant details about me that he remembers, and the lengths he goes to to reach out every now and then about things he thinks I might be interested in.  I really appreciate that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »

I know him because of my work here.  We chat via email every now and then, and I always get to sit and hang with him and the band after (and sometimes for a bit before) shows when they are in town.  He has told me he considers me a "friend," but I think he is just being kind.  I can't say we know each other well enough to really be considered friends.  But then again, for his part, it's amazing to me the little, seemingly insignificant details about me that he remembers, and the lengths he goes to to reach out every now and then about things he thinks I might be interested in.  I really appreciate that.

That's cool. Sounds like a friendship to me :metal

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
I don't know why JLB continuously starts working on a new solo album when ever DT are. AIRC he did the same around DT12. I would like it better if he was more involved into DTs work. But that maybe just because I don't really like his solo stuff that much.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
I don't know why JLB continuously starts working on a new solo album when ever DT are. AIRC he did the same around DT12. I would like it better if he was more involved into DTs work. But that maybe just because I don't really like his solo stuff that much.

I agree that I wish he were more involved at least with the lyric writing.  I think that is more because Petrucci prefers to do most of it. 

I think with JLB's new solo album, he had planned that for a while and DT was going to take more of a break and not start recording until late 2018 but that changed. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »

I agree that I wish he were more involved at least with the lyric writing.  I think that is more because Petrucci prefers to do most of it. 

I think with JLB's new solo album, he had planned that for a while and DT was going to take more of a break and not start recording until late 2018 but that changed.

Yea, without knowing more info, I think that's the case as well.  JLB had said he wanted to tour wiht his band and DT were going to take time off.  But now DT moved things forward and it may have made the scheduling a bit tougher for JLB. 

Also, it's just speculation that JLB can't be involved in both.  We don't really know much about either band's plans besides they will both be working on albums.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »

I don't know anything about JLB's solo stuff.  However, it's been six and a half years since he made a lyrical contribution to a DT album and over a decade since he wrote the lyrics to a "full length" DT song, so I would imagine he's got a bunch of stuff lying around that could be used for DT14 or a solo album
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2018, 05:07:54 PM »

I don't know anything about JLB's solo stuff.  However, it's been six and a half years since he made a lyrical contribution to a DT album and over a decade since he wrote the lyrics to a "full length" DT song, so I would imagine he's got a bunch of stuff lying around that could be used for DT14 or a solo album

Matt Guillory writes lyrics for many songs on JLB solo abums, though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2018, 05:55:41 AM »

Wait WHAT

June 2019, or not? Last info I heard was that they haven't even recorded anything yet. Plus, they would have posted something by now.

EDIT Ah, just looked it up: He said, that recording the new album will begin in June.

D'oh! I thought I might've misheard something.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
For DT14, I would like a perfect mix of BC&SL and ADTOE - the heaviness/balls/melody of BC&SL and the technicality/composition of ADTOE.

Offline adamack

« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2018, 03:41:36 PM »
The amount of "soft" material on TA makes me want DT to come back with a vengeance. So I want something heavy, but also very progressive.

If I had to pick an album I'd want it to sound like most, it'd be Six Degrees without question. If they can give one more effort like that before they retire, I will feel so satisfied.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #446 on: April 14, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
The amount of "soft" material on TA makes me want DT to come back with a vengeance. So I want something heavy, but also very progressive.

If I had to pick an album I'd want it to sound like most, it'd be Six Degrees without question. If they can give one more effort like that before they retire, I will feel so satisfied.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #447 on: May 25, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
THEY ARE SPYING US!!!!!!

DT just posted on FB this very question, basically copying and pasting the title thread and the four poll options!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #448 on: May 25, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
It's intentional :P

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #449 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
Yeah, I figured that either they're browsing the forum, or bosk or someone like you passes along crucial informations and suggestions  :P but the spying angle was funnier  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »
I was about to post the same thing here :lol

Anyway, DT are entering the studio next month, and I’m already very excited :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2018, 08:49:04 AM »
Gosh, I hope that's just for the sake of social media engagement... I really don't think it's a great idea for artists to ask the fans what they want and try to make it. I'd rather they write whatever they are inspired to write.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »
Gosh, I hope that's just for the sake of social media engagement... I really don't think it's a great idea for artists to ask the fans what they want and try to make it. I'd rather they write whatever they are inspired to write.

Maybe they have already a clear idea of what they want to do, and they justy want to know beforehand how many fans they will piss off  this time :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
To be honest i have mixed feelings about DT posting in FB this question.
I know TA has created a lot of controversy, but first the I&W tour, then this, i feel like they're doing things for the fans' (and their pockets) sake.
Of course TA is the exact opposite of this, but seems like after the criticism they are looking to re-orient themselves into what the fanbase would expect.

From my point off view, i like DT at their most experimental (SDOIT for example) so i would really love them to get together and make a record without any pre-conceived idea. Something organic and spontaneous, and collaborative.

Also, hopefully they'll mix up the engineering-mixing-producing aspect a bit. I would really like to hear a less processed, more organic sound with powerful drums and clarity. More crazy Mangini is never a bad idea.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
I'm sure it's just fan engagement. These guys aren't spring chickens... they'll make what they want to make, but I see nothing wrong with asking the fans what they would like to hear.