Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56473 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:15 PM »
Is there any chance in hell that they'll do an avant garde album? I know Petrucci likes a few avant garde bands (at least in passing)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:43 PM »
Is there any chance in hell that they'll do an avant garde album? I know Petrucci likes a few avant garde bands (at least in passing)

lol no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:58 PM »

lol no.

Gladly I didn't hold my breath  :rollin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »

To be fair, they've been doing that from the beginning.. ;)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2018, 02:14:27 AM »
I want it to be an DT album.......just like all the other ones  :hat

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:29 AM »
I want it to be an DT album.......just like all the other ones  :hat

Actually, not high, I want that too... :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
I'd like more arrangements where everything isn't just following the guitar. Like The Mirror, where the guitar is just chugging a single chord for a whole minute while the keys do the melody/progression. Or 6:00 which has something like that too. Maybe JP's guitar tone has gotten so big that everything has to follow it now though.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
I'd like more arrangements where everything isn't just following the guitar. Like The Mirror, where the guitar is just chugging a single chord for a whole minute while the keys do the melody/progression. Or 6:00 which has something like that too. Maybe JP's guitar tone has gotten so big that everything has to follow it now though.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but The Astonishing is full of moments where the guitar is background or at least a  secondary element in the song..

Offline Evai

« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
The Astonishing is obviously a one-off, and they're never gonna do anything like it again (sadly). I'm talking about the usual stuff they do...
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
Looks like they are entering the studio in May

Offline Renzo

• Daryus

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #361 on: January 31, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
Jordan quote from the article...

"One of the things that happened with 'The Astonishing', which is our last album, which is kind of like a rock-opera thing, is that we actually had many more ideas than we used,"

Hope they leave those ideas alone and move along.

Also in the article...

"DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci hinted in a recent interview that the band's next album will be musically inspired by the "Images, Words & Beyond" tour"

That's nice. I'm not desiring another Images and Words, but that's good news to hear.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »
Not an album direction but I'd like to see them have an opening band again.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2018, 09:42:56 AM »
Whatever they do, they gotta have more cowbell  :metal

Seriously, I'd like to see them return to the more progressive stuff, but in check.  Something like ADTOE with a mix of longer and shorter.  Nothing more than 15 minutes unless it's really coherent (like Octavarium).  Also, I'd like them to further explore the heavier side such as in ToT, and skip the ballads entirely. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »
I'd prefer them to go back to being heavier as well, but I don't see that happening.  Nor do I see them dropping ballads.  But I do expect an I&W/ADTOE type of album.  Those albums are huge fan favorites and I can see them going back to more of that style (for one, they said the last tour inspired them) because I think that will help reunite a fan base that was broken from the last album.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »
I'd prefer them to go back to being heavier as well, but I don't see that happening.  Nor do I see them dropping ballads.  But I do expect an I&W/ADTOE type of album.  Those albums are huge fan favorites and I can see them going back to more of that style (for one, they said the last tour inspired them) because I think that will help reunite a fan base that was broken from the last album.

I don't know, they might go heavy just as a natural reaction to TA being on the lighter side. They kinda did something similar (in reverse) going from the heavy of ToT to the lighter side of things on 8V.

That said, I do agree that they are probably going to shoot for something that they think will reunite the base, something like I&W and/or ADTOE. I think JP actually has a pretty good feel for that sort of thing. I think he knew TA would be hit or miss with the base, but felt strongly enough about the project that he moved forward anyway for the sake of artistic expression (which is great).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
Well even going that direction may result in something more heavy than TA.  I just don't think they go all TOT heavy though although I think I would welcome some more of that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
Seriously, I'd like to see them return to the more progressive stuff, but in check.  Something like ADTOE with a mix of longer and shorter.  Nothing more than 15 minutes unless it's really coherent (like Octavarium). 

Oh yeah!  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
I just want it released now :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
"... for 'The Astonishing', we did have a lot of ideas that we didn't use — not because they were necessarily not good ideas, but because we were trying to really craft something that helped to tell the story. So maybe something just didn't work as well. So we have some things kind of in the can or whatever — they're nice ideas that weren't part of it." (JR)

I kinda saw it coming.. But yeah, bring them on!..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
Confirmed: Dream Theater set to release two albums, a Red one and a Blue one. You only get a chance to buy one. Choose carefully, there's no going back. If you get the blue one, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You get the red one - you stay in the Great Northern Empire, and they show you how much time you really have for music.

Wow, you just reminded me of those weird emails DT sent before the release of TA, where you had to choose your side.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
Does anyone else think DT might just manage to release DT14 late this year? Train of Thought was written in 3 weeks and came out in November.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
Does anyone else think DT might just manage to release DT14 late this year? Train of Thought was written in 3 weeks and came out in November.

I hope not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »

Well, ADTOE & DT12 started recording in January & both came out in September (8 months).
TA started recording in February & came out January the following year (11 months).
DT14 started recording in May, so if this isn't a double, it should take around 8 months to release, which would put it in January 2019.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »

Well, ADTOE & DT12 started recording in January & both came out in September (8 months).
TA started recording in February & came out January the following year (11 months).
DT14 started recording in May, so if this isn't a double, it should take around 8 months to release, which would put it in January 2019.

I hope they don't rush the project and take the time they need to write the best they possibly can.  :metal

Offline Evai

« Reply #375 on: March 02, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »

I hope they don't rush the project and take the time they need to write the best they possibly can.  :metal

Yeah, I don't mind waiting, even though it's like I can't wait Another Day for the next album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #376 on: March 02, 2018, 08:57:51 PM »
I think Bosk said that JP told him Inside Out originally wanted the album to be released later this year, but they (DT) are planning an early 2019 release. We'd still get 1 or 2 new singles released this year, anyway, so It's not like we're going to have to wait the whole year to actually listen to something from DT14.

Also, judging by the way Inside Out works/has worked with other bands, my perception is that they work faster and better with releasing new album info/tracks, etc, than, let's say, Roadrunner, so we can't complain :biggrin:

The writing will start in about two months, so I think we'll get updates as soon as they gather in the studio :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #377 on: March 03, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
I want them to create an album that they enjoyed making and feel that their audience can feed off of their enjoyment of making the album and if they feel they can get that done in one month or six months or more, so be it.

I also felt that, despite the mixed reactions of The Astonishing, I loved the way they want to be ambitious going about creating the album which I personally felt like it's the best form of artistic expression.  So I want them to retain that sort of ambition that they had when they created The Astonishing with DT14, but not be The Astonishing Part II (Electric Booglaloo) since that would just be a redo of a recent previous idea and that's going against being progressive in my books. 

I don't know what, but I want them to make something they can get excited about and I don't know if I feel like them being inspired by the recent Images and Words tour and ADTOE album can get them that artistic satisfaction.  However, if they want to resalvage the fanbase that was turned off by TA and do better in the album sales, so be it.  If that's the reason they want to go about the direction of the next album, I just want them to admit it and be honest about it.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #378 on: March 03, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »
I want a heavy, melodic, concise album. DT12 part 2, with better drum production would make me happy.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
I want it hard and heavy ala TOT or SC for sure, but with awesome soloing and a really good sound on all instruments.  I absolutely hate JP's guitar sounds on BCSL.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
I'm honestly a little curious to see if working with David Campbell and the the Bach to Rock tour are going to have any effect on how the album is written, especially in JR's keyboard parts. It'd be interesting to see if he picked up anything from either and polished up his keyboard orchestrations a bit.  It seems like they've both been "going back to their roots" with the I&W tour and incorporating newer influences from TA and other things so it'll be interesting to see how that all blends together on the new album.

Side note, I would not complain at all if they decided to work with David Campbell and an orchestra again.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »
I want a heavy, melodic, concise album. DT12 part 2, with better drum production would make me happy.

I've been quite into DT12 recently, another album like this wouldn't definitely be bad. Maybe only with a better mixing indeed.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »

I've been quite into DT12 recently, another album like this wouldn't definitely be bad. Maybe only with a better mixing indeed.

DT12 is amazing! Even though it's not one of their *best* albums, I think it's very consistent and doesn't have a song I don't like or that I'd consider bad. Still don't understand why many fans don't like it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »
I could imagine them going a bit back to themselves as a "band". With no orchestra, no choir. Just the four instrumentalists and the singer. I'd like that.

I have no concern whatsoever that this album is gonna kick some serious ass. The only wish is a good drum sound.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2018, 07:28:23 PM »
I could imagine them going a bit back to themselves as a "band". With no orchestra, no choir. Just the four instrumentalists and the singer. I'd like that.

I think that’s exactly what we’re going to get, and I can’t wait to find out :metal