Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56467 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2017, 01:59:41 AM »
I want it to be whatever kind of album DT wants it to be.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:07:11 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Evai

« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »
A slow fast album
A hard soft album
A progressive catchy album
A technical melodic album
A diversive cohesive album
An album
Album
Bum
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #317 on: November 08, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »
A slow fast album
A hard soft album
An album
Album
Bum

um
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
A slow fast album
A hard soft album
An album
Album
Bum

um

m

mb
mbo
mbop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #319 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
A slow fast album
A hard soft album
An album
Album
Bum

um

m

mb
mbo
mbop

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #320 on: November 13, 2017, 05:55:52 AM »
A slow fast album
A hard soft album
An album
Album
Bum

um

m

mb
mbo
mbop

:rollin

Since these last posts were random, I officially declare this thread to be the " here we post all the fake tracklists/artworks" thread until we wait for any update on DT14 ;D

Online Sycsa

« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:41 AM »
A slow fast album
A hard soft album
An album
Album
Bum

um

m

mb
mbo
mbop
Damn, how old were those kids when they wrote that mega-hit?
Edit: found this, pretty cool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCLRvC3l_aU
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:15:56 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

I openned this thread to type exactly this..

They already give me much more than I could've expected from a band or an artist in general.. Also, three years ago all I wanted was a conceptual album that I -just and merely- like, and, once again, they gave me actually more than I wanted (I like it A LOT).. So yeah, do anything you want.. And I mean literally, ANYTHING... I won't care..  :azn:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #323 on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »

They already give me much more than I could've expected from a band or an artist in general.. Also, three years ago all I wanted was a conceptual album that I -just and merely- like, and, once again, they gave me actually more than I wanted (I like it A LOT).. So yeah, do anything you want.. And I mean literally, ANYTHING... I won't care..  :azn:

What if they come up with a canadian rap album  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2017, 02:58:34 AM »

What if they come up with a canadian rap album  :biggrin:

I'll buy it just the same..  ;D

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #325 on: December 04, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-keyboardist-discusses-mike-portnoys-departure-says-he-has-incredible-relationship-with-mike-mangini/

Jordan states DT will enter in the studio around May 2018, so if the release date is in 2019 I strongly believe it will be out by January, like TA.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #326 on: December 05, 2017, 07:18:31 AM »
Those headlines crack me up.  I enjoyed watching that interview even though the interviewer looked like it was his first time doing one. :)

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #327 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
Where is Jordan, in the Matrix?.. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #328 on: December 05, 2017, 08:40:53 AM »

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
Confirmed: Dream Theater set to release two albums, a Red one and a Blue one. You only get a chance to buy one. Choose carefully, there's no going back. If you get the blue one, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You get the red one - you stay in the Great Northern Empire, and they show you how much time you really have for music.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2017, 07:32:07 PM »
 :lol

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #332 on: December 05, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »
Confirmed: Dream Theater set to release two albums, a Red one and a Blue one. You only get a chance to buy one. Choose carefully, there's no going back. If you get the blue one, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You get the red one - you stay in the Great Northern Empire, and they show you how much time you really have for music.

And so the blue one has 0 songs in it? But seriously though, well thought!  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2017, 01:02:21 AM »

:rollin :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #334 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »
I'm sure everything that can be said has been said already here. Been diving yet again into the entire catalog recently - partially because I finally bought a JP 7-string guitar (that wasn't the reason, but hey, why not). Been a fan since the early days.

So what do I want to see on the next album? Something in the vain of Images and Words/Awake and Falling Into Infinity - but more modern and a tad heavier. No concept album, no lyrics that are too literal/juvenile, NO symphonics, keyboards that sound like keyboards (and maybe a bit less of that).
Modern sounding influences similar to the last La Brie solo albums. Maybe some outside writers and producers since the balance seems off with JP runinng the show single handedly, perhaps? How about Misha Mansoor producing this?

Offline Evai

« Reply #335 on: December 12, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Maybe some outside writers

I dunno, it should be all about DT, not some outside writer. I dunno what you're expecting them to be?  :huh:
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
Maybe some outside writers

I dunno, it should be all about DT, not some outside writer. I dunno what you're expecting them to be?  :huh:

I'd want them to be still one of my all time favorite bands? I think outside writers and producers can be a good thing. Has worked for a lot of artists and bands. Something to be said about the distinction between outstanding players and outstanding writers and and lyricists.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
I always feel like I'm in the minority on this, or maybe it's just that those who want an outside producer/writer are more vocal, but I don't want an outside producer and certainly not an outside song writer.  I love JLB's solo albums up to and including Elements of Persuasion, but for the most part, that's stuff (to me) doesn't compare to DT.  And for his most recent two solo albums - no thank you to those outside song writers; I'm not really a fan of the Soilwork formula.  Give me JP and JR any day.  With input or not from the others - I like the material when they contribute, I like it when they don't, so whatever works for this next album is fine by me.  If JP decides he could really use an outside producer, so be it, but I like the job he's been doing.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2017, 07:20:46 PM »
I really want a messy, loud, heavy and unrefined, almost garage-like album that they write and record in like three weeks. I'd love to see what they did with that. I want loud, angry drums too!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #339 on: December 12, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
Give me JP and JR any day.  With input or not from the others - I like the material when they contribute, I like it when they don't, so whatever works for this next album is fine by me.  If JP decides he could really use an outside producer, so be it, but I like the job he's been doing.
Nail on the head dude.  ;)
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #340 on: December 13, 2017, 01:11:36 AM »
I'm against outside writers, but I welcome an outside producer.

The whole situation with an external producer was tangled into the FII mess. The input from Kevin Shirley was directed from the label, and I understand them being "traumatized" by the whole thing and then wanting to do exactly what they wanted to do with the next album, but it's been 20 years. So many albums sold and two grammy nominations later, and them being absolutely the biggest act on the new label, there's no way that an outside producer translates into "Lol cut this song's solo and write a radio hit plz". I understand them being settled in with this way of working, but an outside producer who understands and respects their music could really help them and offer a fresh view on things.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #341 on: December 13, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
I'm against outside writers, but I welcome an outside producer.

The whole situation with an external producer was tangled into the FII mess. The input from Kevin Shirley was directed from the label, and I understand them being "traumatized" by the whole thing and then wanting to do exactly what they wanted to do with the next album, but it's been 20 years. So many albums sold and two grammy nominations later, and them being absolutely the biggest act on the new label, there's no way that an outside producer translates into "Lol cut this song's solo and write a radio hit plz". I understand them being settled in with this way of working, but an outside producer who understands and respects their music could really help them and offer a fresh view on things.

This.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #342 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
I agree, Roger Waters took that step and Is This The Life We Really Want? turned out to be an amazing album by a guy you'd never expect to be in his 70s.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Lethean

« Reply #343 on: December 13, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »
What works for one band/artist might not work for another. Right now, I don't think DT needs it. If things get to a point where they feel like they want a change, that's fine. But I wouldn't want anyone messing with the last 3 albums, and I don't have any reason to believe the next won't be great as well. It could be that it doesn't turn out to be to my taste, but that doesn't have much to do with whether there's an outside producer or not.

I'm certain that they could get a producer who would work with them on their terms at this point in their career - but they probably just don't want to.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
What works for one band/artist might not work for another. Right now, I don't think DT needs it. If things get to a point where they feel like they want a change, that's fine. But I wouldn't want anyone messing with the last 3 albums, and I don't have any reason to believe the next won't be great as well. It could be that it doesn't turn out to be to my taste, but that doesn't have much to do with whether there's an outside producer or not.

I'm certain that they could get a producer who would work with them on their terms at this point in their career - but they probably just don't want to.

See, and I vaguely suggested it because I think - certainly after the last two albums - it's desperately needed. Hall of the material should've been scrapped by someone, especially with one internal force countering some of this gone. And I find it telling that the "Astonishing" tour apparently didn't sell well - and quickly turned into a Images-and-words-anniversary tour.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »

See, and I vaguely suggested it because I think - certainly after the last two albums - it's desperately needed. Hall of the material should've been scrapped by someone, especially with one internal force countering some of this gone. And I find it telling that the "Astonishing" tour apparently didn't sell well - and quickly turned into a Images-and-words-anniversary tour.

That is far from the truth... the Astonishing tour went well except for the second leg in the US. They toured The Astonishing for about a year.
That they continued to tour for another year with Images & Words anniverasry is not a reaction to poor sales....

To me and many others it is actually an Astonishing album. I am soo glad that JP followed through with his vision. They did not need an outside producer, even less now with MP gone in my humble opinion.....

Offline Evai

« Reply #346 on: December 13, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
It may not be the best album... But it certainly is the most astonishing one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: December 13, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
That they continued to tour for another year with Images & Words anniverasry is not a reaction to poor sales....

Right. I don't think a full on I&W 25 tour was the plan. It was really a touring opportunity that feel in their laps.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2017, 01:05:45 AM »

Right. I don't think a full on I&W 25 tour was the plan. It was really a touring opportunity that feel in their laps.

Indeed, they're on record stating that they wanted it to be a short tour, but promoters all around the world wanted it and so they dedicated this year to it.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #349 on: December 14, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »
I agree, Roger Waters took that step and Is This The Life We Really Want? turned out to be an amazing album by a guy you'd never expect to be in his 70s.

Speaking of Pink Floyd:that's a great example where a band remained in charge artistically but utilized the right people at the right time often. When you listen to various demos and pre-production takes you see what Alan Parsons brought to the table for instance. Or even using Roy Harper for vocals instead of Roger Waters, etc etc - it's the difference between good and great when the the right people are open to it and things line up. Obviously, it can go horribly wrong also.