Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56504 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »
^
I don't know if it was 'didn't allow', 'there wasn't room', 'gotta get all of the lyrics/story in', or whatever......

I'm still astonishhhhh.......surprised that there's nothing in those 2+ hours where there is ZERO focus on the rhythm section (be it a moody or heavy section, solo or tag team).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Evai

« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2017, 03:02:23 AM »
The problem with TA was that it was way too good for a band of their age. Seriously, aren't you supposed to release your best work within your first 3 albums?
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »
I'd love to see a wild run of about 70 minutes, 8-12 songs with most being on the shorter side for DT and some being on the average/longer side, consisting of crazy "experiments" like Lord Nafaryus. I want to hear some amazing mixes of their own style with other genres, letting James have a field day with his vocals, just having a good old time taking their own style in all sorts of directions.

Also, don't let JP write lyrics for more than 1/3rd of the album. I like the plot for The Astonishing, I like the general idea of many of his songs, but at this point I can hardly count how many *executions* and full on lyrics of his I've truly appreciated since BCSL. Illumination Theory being a highly notable exception.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
^
I don't know if it was 'didn't allow', 'there wasn't room', 'gotta get all of the lyrics/story in', or whatever......

I'm still astonishhhhh.......surprised that there's nothing in those 2+ hours where there is ZERO focus on the rhythm section (be it a moody or heavy section, solo or tag team).

Yes, I'm kinda too, only now that you're mentioning it. But anyways, there are some moments... two that come to mind right now: the pre-JP solo on A New Beginning, and the (precisely, moody/heavy section) on The Walking Shadow..

But yeah, it's true.. Not that is a bad thing for me, but it's kind of surprising... well, only on one side; on the other side, you have the fact that MM is not, like Portnoy was, a composer drummer, so this counts for the no-so-many-rhythm-sections nowadays..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
But yeah, it's true.. Not that is a bad thing for me, but it's kind of surprising... well, only on one side; on the other side, you have the fact that MM is not, like Portnoy was, a composer drummer, so this counts for the no-so-many-rhythm-sections nowadays..

He is, he just hasn't been too involved in the writing for the DT albums he's been on. (You can hear GREAT drums/bass moments on DT12, for example)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »

He is, he just hasn't been too involved in the writing for the DT albums he's been on. (You can hear GREAT drums/bass moments on DT12, for example)

I mean that he doesn't create music (chord progressions, melodies) like the rest does, excepting JLB.. Portnoy wasn't/isn't on the level of Virgil Donati, Minnemann or Thomas Lang in composing melodies and that stuff but he was always there directing the songs -at least most of them- and structuring parts, adding rhythms and changing the time signatures, etc, etc.. I'm sure Mangini does some of these things, but his level of collaboration seems to be very far from MP's..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/james-labrie-discusses-timeline-for-new-dream-theater-album-announces-solo-appearance-at-progpower-usa/

Saw this today. James says new album late '18/early '19.

Well, he said album in late 2018 and tour in early 2019, but, man, it's gonna be a long wait  :'(
Maybe we can finally get that 2nd Petrucci album before that?  ???
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
Don't tease me, bro. I would love for that to finally come out.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
Don't tease me, bro. I would love for that to finally come out.

Mangini is practicing the songs they played at G3 2012 for the JP guitar camp, so I hope John decides it's time to finally record them and get that album out by next year  :-\

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
I really don't see the need to be impatient for a JP solo album. Everything he does in DT is so killer and hard to top..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
I really don't see the need to be impatient for a JP solo album. Everything he does in DT is so killer and hard to top..  :coolio

It's that he's been talking about it since 2010  :-\

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
Isn't TA a JP solo album?  JK,  The Astonishing rocks!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
Isn't TA a JP solo album?  JK,  The Astonishing rocks!

Jokes aside, it'd be something like a solo album if he would've made the music on his own, but Rudess happen to exist... luckily..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:10 PM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dream_theaters_rudess_the_biggest_mistake_prog_musicians_make_these_days.html

This quote caught my eye:

Right now there's that whole djent style of music that people listen to

There was a discussion a while ago about whether JP playing an 8-string might mean djent; this could be another hint that it will.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
They talked about djent a bit around the time of DT12 too, I don't expect anything out of that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2017, 10:21:12 PM »
I'm not a big djent fan, but this could mean they might take a more modern (and heavier) direction for this album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2017, 12:47:55 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but djent was a big thing, like, five years ago.

I remember when The Enemy inside came out, the first minute had some djent influences, but then it goes into a more familiar territory. If they decide to go that way again, they could dig deeper and make that influence more prominent in their sound.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #263 on: August 04, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »
I would be game for at least one song having a slight Djent influence. Like a really heavy song (yet still melodic... because I can't stand just rhythmic chugging).
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
I think the djent thing is like most other styles with DT, it's all about the mixture of elements. If they mix a little of that style into songs in certain spots, it could be cool. If they try to do it too much, it might be not so cool. DT has always been about the mixture of metal, prog, melody, etc... for me, so djent would just be an extension of that.

Basically, DT are at their best when they incorporate more than a few elements, djent can certainly be one of them if done right.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »
I think the djent thing is like most other styles with DT, it's all about the mixture of elements. If they mix a little of that style into songs in certain spots, it could be cool. If they try to do it too much, it might be not so cool. DT has always been about the mixture of metal, prog, melody, etc... for me, so djent would just be an extension of that.

Basically, DT are at their best when they incorporate more than a few elements, djent can certainly be one of them if done right.

I agree! Recently I've been quite into Architects, and I like how they sort of blend heavy 8-string guitar riff with more melodic moments. With this I don't mean that DT should completely turn full-Architects mode but instead having a fine balance between heaviness and melody.

I remember when The Enemy inside came out, the first minute had some djent influences, but then it goes into a more familiar territory. If they decide to go that way again, they could dig deeper and make that influence more prominent in their sound.

'The Enemy Inside' is an example of what I mean.  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »

I thought people were comparing that song to Nevermore. I'm not a huge Djent fan. I like Meshuggah and Gojira and that's it. I'd rather not hear that type of stuff in Dream Theater but like any genre, Djent isn't just...djent. So there's the possibility that Petrucci could utilize that style in a unique & cool way.

Edit: Yeah Mikeyd23 pretty much made this point. Sorry.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »
Come on James, get out in the sun a little. Aging rock stars with thinning hair, etc, would look a lot better if they weren't pasty white. Anyway, would strongly prefer a JP album to another JLB one. The first Mullmuzzler is still my favorite so his current style isn't exactly wowing me.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »
Ok, I'm here to shut down the djent talk right now.

If JP djents on the next album, it will be an "Oh, Grandpa..." moment the likes of which he will never recover from. He might as well just cut his hair and forget about the glorious skullet he was destined to wear in his golden years.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2017, 01:03:11 AM »
Didn't James already do Djent on a solo album?  :mehlin

#oldnews

I'd like DT to try playing different instruments for once, now THAT would get me interested in a new album!  :tup
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #270 on: September 02, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »
I want DT14 to be heavy--a new kind of heavy. With John Petrucci mentioning his interest in the incorporation of 8-Stringed guitars into new DT material, the chances are better than ever. Not necessarily "djenty" but innovative low F# riffing. A sharp contrast to everything The Astonishing was, DT would come back with a new face and sound. Of course they would never forget to bring the prog too...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »
JP has been confirmed for G3 in Europe untill May 1st of next year, so this probably means DT won’t enter the studio untill mid 2018, maybe for an early 2019 release  :'(

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »
JP has been confirmed for G3 in Europe untill May 1st of next year, so this probably means DT won’t enter the studio untill mid 2018, maybe for an early 2019 release  :'(

At least we Europeans can see the G3 too.  :metal
But yeah, this means the album will probably be slated to early 2019. By the way, I'm waiting to hear SoA's debut on 20th of October (which happens to be my birthday),  despite all the DS vs JR discussion.

BTW Derek is great and all but Jordan is the man, in my humble opinion.  ;D

« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
First of all, Hello to all since it's been a long while since I've been here.  I have read a lot of comments in this section as I am REALLY INTERESTED (like all of us) to know where they're gonna go next musically.

My answer to the original question would be: a really heavy album with full of surprises :) 

For years I've really liked the heaviness of Dream Theater.  Right now I really dig the PROGRESSIVE metal thing (like Images & Words, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, DT & The Astonishing).  BUT, I think the next album would be awesome with more heaviness to it.  After that new album, they could do any type of music they want because they would have produced 4 really diverse albums in a row!!!!

Tx

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
First of all, Hello to all since it's been a long while since I've been here.  I have read a lot of comments in this section as I am REALLY INTERESTED (like all of us) to know where they're gonna go next musically.

My answer to the original question would be: a really heavy album with full of surprises :) 

For years I've really liked the heaviness of Dream Theater.  Right now I really dig the PROGRESSIVE metal thing (like Images & Words, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, DT & The Astonishing).  BUT, I think the next album would be awesome with more heaviness to it.  After that new album, they could do any type of music they want because they would have produced 4 really diverse albums in a row!!!!

Tx

Diversity between albums is something that makes this band really unique, even though I'm not a big fan of FII I'll give it the credit of diverseness (pardon if this term does not exist haha). By the way we are pretty sure DT14 will indeed be heavier than TA (even though I like this album A LOT) as it was confirmed by JP in numerous interviews. I'm not really interested in having an album going necessarily in a Top 5 DT albums, if so, this will indeed be astonishing amazing but I'm more into having new music showing a new level of creativity.

« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2017, 03:05:03 PM »
Yeah I agree.  Add some heaviness to a new level of creativity and I'm 100% in :) 

Kidding aside that was the main point of my post.  So when does this new album comes out??  :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
Late 2018, early 2019 probably. Just like Game of Thrones' final season.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
Late 2018, early 2019 probably. Just like Game of Thrones' final season.

Such a long wait for both  :'(

About the direction, a heavier album would be nice, but I don’t want a TOT kind of album where everything is heavy just for the sake of it. I prefer albums that are balanced, and not just a heavy shred fest.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #278 on: October 18, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »
I agree, I'd like a "naturally heavy" album, not a "forced heavy" album so to speak.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #279 on: October 18, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »
An album in the sound of The Gift of Music, Ravenskill, A New Beginning and The Path that Divide ... that would be awesome. Mainly progressive and melodic with interesting song structures and heavy when needed.