Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56475 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
Since I'm into Genesis very much lately, I'd love some very progressive stuff that's also melodic

I actually listened to Genesis today, Watcher of the Skies as I was trying to find a song with an epic-majestic intro similar to Under a Glass Moon.
Nice profile picture by the way..  :tup

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
I think they should go full-on polka. Twin Lakes Polka; Domavougi Polka---AKA Kiss Me Polka; Polka Twist...

Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:10 PM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
Earlier in this thread I was kind of hoping for a really heavy album. Now I'm torn, I'd almost like to see them tap into their more Pink Floydish/Rush type influences. I still wouldn't mind heavy, but not cheese-heavy like some bands do..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2017, 12:00:34 AM »
DT planting seeds for next album: https://teamrock.com/news/2017-05-29/dream-theater-14th-album-2018

Well, he doesn't exclude the possibility for an epic long song.

Interesting stuff..  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2017, 01:02:25 AM »
Why any interviewer would ask a band if they're planning a concept album right after they released a concept album? the second one in 30 years of carrer and out of 13 albums. It's not like they ever had an habit of doing a concept every now and then.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
I guess it's because Scenes from a Memory is often considered their best record---or one of them, at least---therefore, they automatically assume if they released another concept album, it would be just as great as Scenes. I agree with James, though. Something like A Change of Seasons or "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" in terms of a long song divided into parts could be cool.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »
I want to hear some more character in the drums and in the way they sound. I'm not a fan of the sterile production at all. I'd love to hear some mojo in that department. Real performances. Let there be a mistake. Let there be some natural tempo fluctation. It's all so rigid nowadays.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
I agree with James, though. Something like A Change of Seasons or "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" in terms of a long song divided into parts could be cool.

I personally hope more for an Awake / Dramatic template for the album (as in songs length and number, not style). 2-3 10 minutes songs or slightly longer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
I want to hear some more character in the drums and in the way they sound. I'm not a fan of the sterile production at all. I'd love to hear some mojo in that department. Real performances. Let there be a mistake. Let there be some natural tempo fluctation. It's all so rigid nowadays.

You know you will never hear that in studio,right?
Otherwise, agree with you, and this rigidness has begun with SC, or even 8vm for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »
Cool idea for a poll!

I voted progressive, because the four albums you listed in that category have to all be in my top 5 dream theater albums, and as much as I loved the new approach they had in The Astonishing, it would be really cool to hear another example of the IAW, SFAM variety.

That being said, whatever they put out for DT14, I'll appreciate. DT will always be DT, and whether they go back to the classics or keep pushing their horizons I'll be rockin' out to it.  :)  :metal

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
At this point they need to do one of two things:

A) They need to make a balls to the wall heavy record. Crank it to 11, huge riffs, crazy unison solos, and a raw(er) production. No ballads, no chimes, no cheesy female narrated lyrics. Show the world that you actually have some balls left without Portnoy. This would also benefit Mangini because, at the end of the day he's a much better metal drummer than he is a progressive drummer. All the songs should be about 8-11 minutes long and melt your face off.

B) Try to make a truly progressive album. I know at this point in their careers it's hard to be innovative but bands like Haken, Riverside, hell even Steven Wilson are all doing more interesting things with their art. This might be blaspheme but they should get a producer who understands what DT is about (i.e. not Desmond Child) who could help reign them in and help them reach their artistic goals. There were small slivers of prog greatness in TA but it was covered in 2 hours of cheese, and a limp production. They need some help in the studio.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
No, they don't need to do anything..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
I would like an album that is the polar opposite of TA.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2017, 04:32:39 AM »

Why would you want a shit album ?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2017, 04:32:49 AM »
The Unimpressive?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:44 AM »
Personally, I agree with Volante99's first point. I think this is absolutely the way to go and I miss the heavy riffs and crazy instrumental sections and longer song structures. At the end of the day, that, to me, is the essence of what makes DT DT. And tbh, that is what they excel at. They used to pull off ballads very well, but lately the lyrics just aren't up to scratch for a convincing, emotional ballad. At least you can get away with cheesy lyrics in a metal context. Just my opinion, of course. I enjoyed both the self titled and Astonishing but with shorter songs and limited instrumental passages I feel they were drifting from what made them unique and special in the first place.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
Personally, I agree with Volante99's first point. I think this is absolutely the way to go and I miss the heavy riffs and crazy instrumental sections and longer song structures. At the end of the day, that, to me, is the essence of what makes DT DT. And tbh, that is what they excel at. They used to pull off ballads very well, but lately the lyrics just aren't up to scratch for a convincing, emotional ballad. At least you can get away with cheesy lyrics in a metal context. Just my opinion, of course. I enjoyed both the self titled and Astonishing but with shorter songs and limited instrumental passages I feel they were drifting from what made them unique and special in the first place.
Interesting that you say that because, while I have not really ever been a fan of DT's ballads (with a few exceptions here and there), I think some of the ballads of the Mangini era have been fantastic and easily some of the best they have ever written. 

That said, as to the points in Volante's post, yeah, we already know from the band that they plan to go in a heavier direction on the next album, so that's a given.  That still doesn't mean we won't get anything softer at all.  They always include a softer song or two.  Even TOT had the soft, albeit dark, Vacant.  So, yeah, we'll get heavy.  And we'll still likely get a ballad or two.  And it'll most likely be awesome.  No reason to believe otherwise.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »

It seems like from comments made by the band, you might get just that.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
Just take Jens Bogren to produce and mix it and I don't mind what kind of album it is. All Jens's produced albums sound so fresh and good.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »
Just take Jens Bogren to produce and mix it and I don't mind what kind of album it is. All Jens's produced albums sound so fresh and good.

Even though Jens' productions tend to sound quite similar, they are in fact pretty awesome.
David Bottrill also tends to make great sounding albums.

Let's hope we get a good mix this time with organic sounds.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
I think at this point bringing in an outside producer seems unlikely. A new engineer on the other hand, would be a nice change of pace. I might have said this before but I'd actually love it if they hired Nolly Getgood from Periphery. He was a big part of the engineering and production on PIII and it's easily one of the best sounding modern metal records I've ever heard. Instrumentation balance is great throughout, the drums are big and punchy with great cymbal sound, guitars are big and heavy but there's still room in the mix for the bass (and they use lower guitar tunings than DT), and there is actually a fair amount of keyboard/string stuff mixed in with all that as well. He also did the latest Devin album and it sounds fantastic as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
* Recorded live in the studio. Put the cabs in a seperate room but have everyone playing at once.

* Rehearse the absolute sh*t out of the songs and record like 20 takes. That way by take 18 or 19 you're being more spontaneous because the song is so ingrained in you

and the song sounds less robotic like if you recorded one at a time with no room for improv or spontaneity.

* Don't over compress everything. Do minimal overdubs.

Offline skipreid

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »

Me and you both brother.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
I think at this point bringing in an outside producer seems unlikely. A new engineer on the other hand, would be a nice change of pace. I might have said this before but I'd actually love it if they hired Nolly Getgood from Periphery. He was a big part of the engineering and production on PIII and it's easily one of the best sounding modern metal records I've ever heard. Instrumentation balance is great throughout, the drums are big and punchy with great cymbal sound, guitars are big and heavy but there's still room in the mix for the bass (and they use lower guitar tunings than DT), and there is actually a fair amount of keyboard/string stuff mixed in with all that as well. He also did the latest Devin album and it sounds fantastic as well.

This.

I would be very happy to see either Jens or Nolly engineering/mixing the next album. Nothing against Chycki, but a change there would be nice.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
I'd love an album exactly like The Astonishing for all of those who act like it was "obviously" the worst album by the band.

For all of us that loved it - we'd be quite happy thanks. :hat

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
Another I want - a nice package.

Dramatic Turns was just fine, nice booklet.

The self titled was avalaible when it was new only in the digipack format, and the booklet was glued to the case.

The Astonishing yet again has the digipack glued, the most banal and standard font, and white lines on white background on.

Give me a booklet I can read and I can hold in my hands! From time to time when I have nothing to do I take out CDs and just go through the package and the booklet, some are just so well done that even turning the pages like a mini book you relive the album in a minute or two. It sucks I can never sit down and just flip through The Astonishing because the damn thing is glued to the digipack and it's written in small Arial anyway.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
Just listened to the new He Is Legend album, mixed by Nolly. It's incredible how he CANNOT, even if he wanted, to make a band sound bad. And he tends to be less homogeneous in his productions like Jens. Jens' recent works with Sepultura and  Angra were awesome as well!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
I'd love an album exactly like The Astonishing for all of those who act like it was "obviously" the worst album by the band.

I still LOVE TA and consider it one of their best albums, but I don't really want them to make a similar album for DT14.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »

Why would you want a shit album ?

I don't, that's why I want an album that's nothing like TA.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2017, 10:14:26 PM »

Are people not allowed to have a difference in opinion?  IMO TA is my least fav DT album, and I ain't acting bro. 

I'm pleased for people that liked it, and comend the band for doing something new and different, but I hated it.  I would never say it's 'obviously' their worst album also, that just doesn't make sense.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2017, 06:51:07 AM »
Another I want - a nice package.

Who doesn't want a nice package?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »

Are people not allowed to have a difference in opinion?  IMO TA is my least fav DT album, and I ain't acting bro. 

I'm pleased for people that liked it, and comend the band for doing something new and different, but I hated it.  I would never say it's 'obviously' their worst album also, that just doesn't make sense.

I don't think there is a more polarizing album in DT discography than TA, not even Falling into Infinity. I'm cool with it. It has it's moment, though few and far between.

I'd really like them to go back to basics with this new one!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »

Well, from the looks of the poll results, there aren't very many of you.  That could be considered a blessing.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
Don't prove my point or anything.