Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56450 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
Since it's been going on recently some discussions on DTF about DT's next album, I've decided to make this thread to hear what you would like DT14 to sound like..
I've excluded a concept album as JP and JR confirmed that that isn't the right thing to do.

I am personally unsure whether to hear a Progressive record or an epic one.
I think I'll give the edge to prog..

Offline Architeuthis

Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
I would like heavy and melodic.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Definitely not epic, and keep the "prog" in check too, no 20 minute songs, no orchestras. Keep them around 5-7 minutes, with catchy melodies and choruses, groovy and heavy riffs. No overly mellow stuff either, keep the energy and powah flowing. Basically the opposite of The Astonishing. Also, get the production and Mike's drum sound right. Symphony X's Underworld is my favorite album of the past few years, something in that vein would please me. Some hard rock/bluesy elements like in FII would be nice too.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
I voted Progressive, but I'd love a mix of more styles. More precisely, I'd like them to capitalize on what they achieved with this line-up so far:

- From Dramatic, I'd like to see the epics like Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions, with the instrumental sections not too wild and not too "Let's jam it out LTE style and whatever happens gets recorded".
- From the self titled, I'd like them to keep things concise and to the point.
- From The Astonishing, I'd like to see again the melody and the weird song structures. We got unique stuff like a full-band 2 minutes song and a crazy jazz outro only because a storyline demanded it. Do it for the hell of it, if they feel like writing another 2 minutes song or do something out of the field and never done before, just go for it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
Yeah, this time I'm with the vast majority here and want a heavy album in the vein of ToT.... although the fact that you're including SC as an example could scare some and make them vote for something else.. But for what I've been reading here and in fb's pages/groups the last couple of months, most want at least a heavier album that what they have done in the MM-era..

BUT, having said that and tbh, my true answer would be that I'll just be cool with whatever album they come up with.. My last wish after 3 albums of more than great music (I started listening to them in 2008) was around two years ago when I asked for a concept-experimental album and not only I got exactly that, but also, and more important, a handful of excellent songs with unbelievable songwriting style, so... as far as I'm concerned... do what you want this time.. Worst than a middle ranked album it can't be, I'm sure of that..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:29:50 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »
I would like an album with the musical diversity and great melodies of TA, but with less "ballads", combined with the heaviness and longer intrumental sections of ToT and the "cool" virtuosity and lyrics of Awake and I&W. Am I asking too much?! ;D  :hat
Because of that, I couldn't chose one option above!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
Definitely not epic, and keep the "prog" in check too, no 20 minute songs, no orchestras. Keep them around 5-7 minutes, with catchy melodies and choruses, groovy and heavy riffs. No overly mellow stuff either, keep the energy and powah flowing. Basically the opposite of The Astonishing. Also, get the production and Mike's drum sound right. Symphony X's Underworld is my favorite album of the past few years, something in that vein would please me. Some hard rock/bluesy elements like in FII would be nice too.

Yeah, something in the vein of DT12 I guess, very concise songs. However I would like to see at least one long song maybe in the vein of ITNOG or ES..

Since in DT12 there are three songs (TEI, TBP, BTV) in the key of E minor with the 7th string playing a B, in DT14, JP could use the 8 string guitar by writing songs with catchy choruses and groovy riffs in the key of B minor instead of E with the 8th string playing an F#. So yeah, I definitely would be satisfied in hearing an album in this vein.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
I would like an album with the musical diversity and great melodies of TA, but with less "ballads", combined with the heaviness and longer intrumental sections of ToT and the "cool" virtuosity and lyrics of Awake and I&W. Am I asking too much?! ;D  :hat

Oh that's ok ;)

I should probably have written 'Heavy and virtuoso' instead of only 'heavy'. :metal
Whatever.....

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
I voted progressive, but, elaborating more on what I want for the next DT album, I would love to see these things:

- A couple 10 min songs or an epic
- More instrumental sections, but only if the song calls for it
- More experimental tracks (something like SDOIT disc 1)
- A little heavier (not TOT-like, but definitely heavier than TA)
- More instrument options by the DT members (fretless bass, chapman stick, 12 string guitar, baritone guitar, continuum, seaborard, other percussion)
- A couple special guests. Maybe a female vocalist, a very cool male vocalist or someone who plays an instrument none of the DT guys play.
- An external producer working with JP on the production.
- Lyrics by Myung and LaBrie
- A very technical instrumental (like TDOE or SOC)

Hope I'm not asking too much  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »

Oh that's ok ;)

I should probably have written 'Heavy and virtuoso' instead of only 'heavy'. :metal
Whatever.....
All right, I voted progressive. The mix of that 3 albuns are the closest to what I'm asking. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »
I wouldn't consider FII light, but I like that type of album again.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
Progressive Metal.  That's what Dream Theater usually does.  Well, not lately...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
I wouldn't consider FII light, but I like that type of album again.

That's my vote as well.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
I wanna hear the Harpeji on an album
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
Then I would suggest an album by a harpejiist.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
Something more metal because I want Mangini to go crazy.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
Progressive. Another album like SDoIT would be perfect.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »
I'd be up for another TOT-like album or a down-to-the-roots ADTOE one.

But honestly I'll take anything as long as it doesn't have a production that's anything like DT12 or TA.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
What's wrong with TA's production?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
After TA, I want a hard swing in the opposite direction. I want a TOT kind of album. Hard hitting, strait to the point. No concept. Just a bunch of kick ass rocking songs.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
I think I'd actually like another balls and chunk album like Train of Thought.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 10:12:58 PM »
I wanna hear the Harpeji on an album

I think Jordan ditched the Harpejji completely after a while of using it. At least, he recorded a solo with it on Raw Dog (which I still don't get why it gets so much hate, I like it more than most of BC&SL)  :biggrin:

I'd be up for another TOT-like album or a down-to-the-roots ADTOE one.

Well, Jordan said this on a recent interview (https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/206672/9#.WO4A9O9Prgs.twitter) about the next album:

And, finally, what direction do you envisage the next Dream Theater album going in?

I feel like what’s going to happen, and we’ve kind of been talking about it, is revisiting what we feel is the core of who we are to bring back the global audience that enjoys Dream Theater. Something that will make the band really happy to play musically and something that will make all the fans be like, ‘This is what I love about Dream Theater’

So, my bet is the album is going to be like ADTOE or DT12, but a bit heavier  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 11:26:43 PM »
They should try to work with a producer again..

But i would like to hear a back to basics approach. A very stripped album, with as few overdubs as possible. Something in the vein of Counterparts from Rush.

And, try to record it live in studio.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 01:49:35 AM »
A modern and heavier prog metal album in collaboration with Jens Bogren @ his studio in Sweden, where JLB recorded his two last solo albums. If JP's tending to use his 8-string prototype, I'm sure they can head to this direction.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »
Progressive. Another album like SDoIT would be perfect.

Agreed.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline emtee

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »
JR's comment is interesting. "Bring back the global audience"...Is the global audience in decline?

Also while I don't remember exact quotes I remember the band saying something similar about ADToE and especially DT12 where
they were saying something akin to 'this is who we are at the core and that is why we feel it should be self titled' and I think
they tried really hard to reach back to their roots while still experimenting a little. So my feeling is that with the exception of TA
they always try to be true to their core/roots and DT14 will be more of the same approach.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
JR's comment is interesting. "Bring back the global audience"...Is the global audience in decline?

I think the context of the comment is the polarisation of TA to the DT fanbase, which is the topic in the previous questions.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »
Where is SFAM in the list? I voted FII because of that absence.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 04:48:32 AM »
Blues

I ain't joking  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 05:04:02 AM »
I like DT best when they do what they do best. Give me a heavy progressive metal album. I voted the first option, but something like Awake, heavy, yet melodic, with intricate song structures and a nice change between short and long songs, would be fantastic.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 05:08:43 AM »
Where is SFAM in the list? I voted FII because of that absence.

I didn't include SFAM or TA as they said that their next album will not be a concept, but in terms of styles I include SFAM in progressive and TA in Melodic..

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 05:10:16 AM »
Poll now updated.  ;)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 05:17:15 AM »
After TA, I want a hard swing in the opposite direction. I want a TOT kind of album. Hard hitting, strait to the point. No concept. Just a bunch of kick ass rocking songs.

This. 
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 05:19:11 AM »
I don't mind another "classic" Dream Theater a la Dramatic Turn of Events.

If the songs are all good and the instrumental passages aren't overly long...

I'd ideally want A Dramatic Turn of Events with the production of The Astonishing or Black Clouds but with really stand out songs :)

Plus a touch more heavy.  Maybe another album like DT12 but a bit less compressed and with a really good airy drum sound.

:)

... Maybe let Mangini co-produce his drum sound. 

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:12 AM »
[quote author=Kotowboy link=topic=50105.msg2308762#msg2308762 date=1492773551

I'd ideally want A Dramatic Turn of Events with the production of The Astonishing or Black Clouds but with really stand out songs

... Maybe let Mangini co-produce his drum sound.
[/quote]

As of a production standpoint this is a direction I would like to see as BC&SL is my favourite sounding album (and also one of my favourites in general).

It will also be interesting to see at least one song with lyrics by Mangini but I don't think it will happen, if it does I will be very happy.

;)