Author Topic: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP  (Read 35664 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The UFO Thread
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2017, 02:13:09 AM »
Did anyone else check out any of the Waysted albums in the 80's?

I did check them out but wasn't a fan until the one with Danny Vaughn.  That was one of those super rare ones as I was growing up - even boots went for massive coin.

This.
Great album, that one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »
I literally never heard a UFO song on the radio. Even on the album oriented FM stations. I don't know if they ever had a single that sold well enough to be considered a hit. I seriously doubt it.

I bought Phenomenon on the strength of the album cover alone.  :lol  It was on the new release rack at the local record store. Hypgnosis covers were synonymous with quality acts in those days. I loved the cover, turned it over and saw a group of young men who looked like us, saw the credit to Hypgnosis and asked the store clerk what kind of music it was. He said, "Hard rock, but with kind of a spacey British tone." That was enough for me. I bought it, and on my first listen I wasn't really feeling the love until...

Well, I'm sure you can guess what caught my ear.

This.  I'd like to think I know a little bit about British heavy metal.  Maiden was my favorite band most of the way through high school, and Steve Harris didn't waste an interview to praise UFO (plus they covered "Doctor Doctor" as a b-side later).  I LOVED Fastway; saw them open for Maiden on the Piece of Mind tour (though no "Way").   HUGE into Scorpions and Michael Schenker (Built To Destroy is my favorite there, though I listened the SHIT out of the second album).   

And yet... other than "Doctor Doctor" (and only because it was on "One Night At Budokan" and "Rock Will Never Die") I hadn't heard one UFO song when I bought - on a whim and a prayer - the Chrysalis five-CD box set with the first era of Schenker material.    At least where I was - Northeast of America - they just weren't a big force.   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »
I literally never heard a UFO song on the radio. Even on the album oriented FM stations. I don't know if they ever had a single that sold well enough to be considered a hit. I seriously doubt it.

I bought Phenomenon on the strength of the album cover alone.  :lol  It was on the new release rack at the local record store. Hypgnosis covers were synonymous with quality acts in those days. I loved the cover, turned it over and saw a group of young men who looked like us, saw the credit to Hypgnosis and asked the store clerk what kind of music it was. He said, "Hard rock, but with kind of a spacey British tone." That was enough for me. I bought it, and on my first listen I wasn't really feeling the love until...

Well, I'm sure you can guess what caught my ear.

This.  I'd like to think I know a little bit about British heavy metal.  Maiden was my favorite band most of the way through high school, and Steve Harris didn't waste an interview to praise UFO (plus they covered "Doctor Doctor" as a b-side later).  I LOVED Fastway; saw them open for Maiden on the Piece of Mind tour (though no "Way").   HUGE into Scorpions and Michael Schenker (Built To Destroy is my favorite there, though I listened the SHIT out of the second album).   

And yet... other than "Doctor Doctor" (and only because it was on "One Night At Budokan" and "Rock Will Never Die") I hadn't heard one UFO song when I bought - on a whim and a prayer - the Chrysalis five-CD box set with the first era of Schenker material.    At least where I was - Northeast of America - they just weren't a big force.

I have that boxset.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
Been without internet at home since Friday. After work today, and after the Verizon asshole leaves, a barrage of posts will commence!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
Been without internet at home since Friday. After work today, and after the Verizon asshole leaves, a barrage of posts will commence!

*bails*

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline robbob

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »
One of my favorite bands. Listened to the hell out of them growing up in the late 70's. Lights Out, Obsession and The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent are my favorites.

Schenker is my favorite guitarist, his tone and style is so awesome. First concert I went to as a kid was at the Ampitheater in '78, blown away by the band and Schenker. They were pretty big in Chicago for obvious reasons, played Lights Out, Too Hot to Handle, Love to Love and Only you can Rock me quite a bit on the radio. With the success of SiTN, No Place to Run was a big deal when it came out and that tour, even with Schenker leaving.

The Wid, Willing and the Innocent is my favorite Chapman album. Long Gone, Lonely Heart, Making Moves, Ttile Track, that intro fade-in to It's Killing Me, great stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
  Has anyone checked out the Schenker/Way project from the early 2000's, The Plot? I think Pete Way's vocals put some people off, but it never bothered me much. Kicked Out off that album is fantastic, especially that "see those headlights on the highway" part. Just beautiful.

It's an interesting album for sure. It's more of a Pete Way album with Schenker. And Schenker is not the story here. Other than his rhythm sound, you'd never know it was him. The only Schenkerific track is Seniorita.

This is total dive bar dirty rock n roll. Plenty of drugs/booze lyrics. Yes Kicked Out is cool, and even Phil Mogg would have to be WTF at those lyrics! :lol

My favorite track on it is You And Me. And this album has some fantastically solid drumming from Jeff Martin. Vocally Pete Way is like a cross between Lemmy and Ace Frehley.
You And Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1emSCEXl4
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
One of my favorite bands. Listened to the hell out of them growing up in the late 70's. Lights Out, Obsession and The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent are my favorites.

Schenker is my favorite guitarist, his tone and style is so awesome. First concert I went to as a kid was at the Ampitheater in '78, blown away by the band and Schenker. They were pretty big in Chicago for obvious reasons, played Lights Out, Too Hot to Handle, Love to Love and Only you can Rock me quite a bit on the radio. With the success of SiTN, No Place to Run was a big deal when it came out and that tour, even with Schenker leaving.

The Wid, Willing and the Innocent is my favorite Chapman album. Long Gone, Lonely Heart, Making Moves, Ttile Track, that intro fade-in to It's Killing Me, great stuff.

Awesome. And I'm totally with you on WWI. Yes the beginning of It's Killing Me is awesome!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »
   I LOVED Fastway; saw them open for Maiden on the Piece of Mind tour (though no "Way").   

Saw Fastway on the same tour. I remember how awesome it was to watch Jerry Shirley and I thught Dave King was excellent. The songs themselves translated much better live as I was a little disappointed with the album, especially as the lead track, Say What You Will, was so freaking awesome.
But Chrysalis wouldn't let Pete Way out of his contract, and he actually gave away a number of writing credits.

Pete Way would release Waysted's Vices later that same year. You can clearly see that Waysted was one of the band names he and Eddie Clark brainstormed. Way(Fa)stEd.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »
  Has anyone checked out the Schenker/Way project from the early 2000's, The Plot? I think Pete Way's vocals put some people off, but it never bothered me much. Kicked Out off that album is fantastic, especially that "see those headlights on the highway" part. Just beautiful.

It's an interesting album for sure. It's more of a Pete Way album with Schenker. And Schenker is not the story here. Other than his rhythm sound, you'd never know it was him. The only Schenkerific track is Seniorita.

This is total dive bar dirty rock n roll. Plenty of drugs/booze lyrics. Yes Kicked Out is cool, and even Phil Mogg would have to be WTF at those lyrics! :lol

My favorite track on it is You And Me. And this album has some fantastically solid drumming from Jeff Martin. Vocally Pete Way is like a cross between Lemmy and Ace Frehley.
You And Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1emSCEXl4

I could definitely tell that was MS on the lead. He just has such an individual approach to the instrument that he stands out.

You nailed it when you described Pete's vocals.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
I could definitely tell that was MS on the lead.

Are you talking about this track or the album in general? For the most part, it feels like Schenker is about to go on a run, but then remembers to not play like himself! :lol

Yes, it's totally Schenker, but I feel like he purposely takes a total backseat to Way on this album.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
I could definitely tell that was MS on the lead.

Are you talking about this track or the album in general? For the most part, it feels like Schenker is about to go on a run, but then remembers to not play like himself! :lol

Yes, it's totally Schenker, but I feel like he purposely takes a total backseat to Way on this album.

Just on this track. It's the only thing that I've heard from the album. It's not really my kind of thing, so I probably won't be checking out anymore of it unless you suggest some other tracks that might be a little different. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't the kind of thing that I usually go for.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
I think it's a UFO completest type album. I actually prefer Pete's Alive In Cleveland. It's unique, and I usually pull it out once a year.

As a Schenker fan, you'll appreciate Seniorita from the same album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgF_4CG0Dxk

It's really the only track where I feel like has a true Schenker influence.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »
I think it's a UFO completest type album. I actually prefer Pete's Alive In Cleveland. It's unique, and I usually pull it out once a year.

As a Schenker fan, you'll appreciate Seniorita from the same album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgF_4CG0Dxk

It's really the only track where I feel like has a true Schenker influence.

That was a little bit better. I think that if it had a different vocalist then it would have been pretty good.

On a side note, there is a link on that page to a Mogg/Way song called Jerusalem that I decided to check out. Pretty cool song. I might have to try some more of that stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »
Jerusulam is an awesome track.

After Walk On Water was released, but before 2000's Covenant (with Schenker) was released, there were two Mogg/Way albums. To get Schenker to reunite for WOW, they had to give him the rights to the UFO name, or, that if he was not on it, they couldn't call it UFO.
They released two albums;

Edge Of The World (1997)
Lineup:
Phil Mogg
Pete Way
Ainsley Dunbar (who also played on Covenant)
George Bellas (guitar)

and,

Chocolate Box (1999)
Lineup:
Phil Mogg
Pete Way
Paul Raymond
Simon Wright
Jeff Kollman (guitar)

Jerusulam is from Chocolate Box, which is easily, IMO, the better of the two.
I consider these UFO albums, and are cataloged as such on my iPod.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
From one of the more obscure UFO albums, here's a track from 1992's High Stakes And Dangerous Men.
This album featured a reuiniting of Phil Mogg and Pete Way. The lineup also features Laurence Archer on guitar and Clive Edwards on drums.

Borderline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkKg6VRQtIo

Borderline is a TAC Top 10 UFO track.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »

*bails*

:rollin
:lol
You ducking I hope!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2017, 06:43:07 AM »
Vocally Pete Way is like a cross between Lemmy and Ace Frehley.

I had zero interest in checking out Pete Way's solo stuff until I read that line right there.  I have to hear that.  I HAVE to.

EDIT: I would have never thought of describing it that way, but you are dead right.   Holy mackerel.  That is the perfect description!!!!   The vocals are not good, but not enough to turn me off totally.  The chorus is weak, but the intro riff and the solo are top notch Schenker! 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
From one of the more obscure UFO albums, here's a track from 1992's High Stakes And Dangerous Men.
This album featured a reuiniting of Phil Mogg and Pete Way. The lineup also features Laurence Archer on guitar and Clive Edwards on drums.

Borderline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkKg6VRQtIo

Borderline is a TAC Top 10 UFO track.

I checked this album out a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. That's a great song.
Laurence Archer was one unlucky guy. Seemed on the verge of his big break but never made it. Great player.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
I remember when High Stakes came out. I was so happy Way and Mogg were together. They also did a cool b-side of Long Gone.

This lineup also recorded the Lights Out In Tokyo live album, which is f'n A Awesome! Laurence Archer slays on it, and the energy is incredible. Even on tracks like Love To Love and Lights Out, Archer rules. UFO has commercially released so many live albums and Lights Out In Tokyo ranks right up there.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »
I remember when High Stakes came out. I was so happy Way and Mogg were together. They also did a cool b-side of Long Gone.

This lineup also recorded the Lights Out In Tokyo live album, which is f'n A Awesome! Laurence Archer slays on it, and the energy is incredible. Even on tracks like Love To Love and Lights Out, Archer rules. UFO has commercially released so many live albums and Lights Out In Tokyo ranks right up there.

Never heard that one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
From Lights Out In Tokyo (1992)

Lights Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piru3qK00_s

Love To Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXoeEr0KNag

Laurence Archer and Clive Edwards really bring great energy on this live album. I listen to it regularly. Archer is no Schenker, for sure, but he is on fire for this whole set.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
No way Coz won't like this...at least the intro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCudBalUMxo

Great tune BTW and NSFW!!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »

I checked that out, and found a performance from 2001 of them doing LIR with Uli. UJR and MS is a something that I'd absolutely love to see in person.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »
Oh hell yes!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Pete Way on Hollywood Squares 1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7BKorZk9g

"Depends on which queen you're talking about"  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
Daily UFO post!

Watching this video of MSG in 1981 playing Rock Bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oZ_aw4L1oQ

Obviously Schenker's solo is amazing, but Paul Raymond playing off of him is way underrated. On the Strangers version, Paul is perfectly mixed against Michael, as he is here.

Oh, and Cozy Powell!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »

:tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
Looks like the Saxon/UFO tour is coming back to the NE. Since most of the UFO fans seem to be up there, anybody that didn't catch it last time should definitely check it out. I'd have preferred Saxon to headline, but UFO certainly put on a fine show.

Friday September 22 Newton, NJ / Newton Theater
Saturday September 23 Huntington, NY / Paramount Theater
Sunday September 24 Baltimore, MD / Baltimore Soundstage
Tuesday September 26 Philadelphia, PA / Theater Of The Living Arts
Thursday September 28 Plymouth, NH / Flying Monkey
Friday September 29 Worcester, MA / Palladium
Saturday September 30 Hartford, CT / Webster Theater
Sunday October 1 Portland, ME / Aura
Tuesday October 3 Toronto, ON / Queen Elizabeth Theater
Wednesday October 4 Montreal, QU / Corona Theater
Friday October 6 Flint, MI / Machine Shop
Saturday October 7 Traverse City, MI / Ground Zero
Sunday October 8 Chicago, IL / Concord Music Hall
Monday October 9 Akron, OH / Tangier Cabaret Room
Wednesday October 11 Pittsburgh, PA / Jergels
Thursday October 12 Cincinnati, OH / Bogarts
Friday October 13 Merrillville, IN / Star Plaza
Saturday October 14 Indianapolis, IN / The Egyptian
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Looks like the Saxon/UFO tour is coming back to the NE. Since most of the UFO fans seem to be up there, anybody that didn't catch it last time should definitely check it out. I'd have preferred Saxon to headline, but UFO certainly put on a fine show.

Friday September 29 Worcester, MA / Palladium

Bart, you made my day!!!!!!!!!

Just so happened to pull my UFO shirt from the bottom of my t shirt drawer this morning too!!

And a Friday to boot!

I missed the show last month. It was a Sunday, and I had to wait until the show was fairly close before we could line up a sitter. Then when I went to buy tix, it was sold out.  :censored

The Palladium is a hell hole and not ideal to Boston or Providence but I am there!!!

Been listening to my Moore Era compilation CD this past week, and I think I might prefer it to my Chapman Era one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
Do they split the headlining or is UFO always closing the shows?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
Oh wow, that Pittsburgh show (which is not in Pittsburgh) is like 15 minutes from my place. Sounds like a fun night out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
Do they split the headlining or is UFO always closing the shows?

I believe UFO is the headliner.

the setlist from Boston last month:
UFO:
1. Mother Mary
2. Long Gone
3. Run Boy Run
4. Lights Out
5. Baby Blue
6. Let It Roll
7. Only You Can Rock Me
8. Burn Your House Down
9. Too Hot To Handle
10. Messiah Of Love
11. Love To Love
12. Rock Bottom
13. Cherry
14. Doctor Doctor
15. Shoot Shoot

Saxon:
1. Battering Ram
2. This Town Rocks
3. Sacrifice
4. Power And The Glory
5. Strong Arm Of The Law
6. The Eagle Has Landed
7. Dallas 1PM
8. Ace Of Spades
9. Heavy Metal Thunder
10. Crusader
11. Wheels Of Steel
12. Denim And Leather
13. Princess Of The Night

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
I'll be damned. Saxon always mixes up their setlist, but it seems Eagle was added the show right after Dallas. Bummer. Normally it's just 20k, Heavy Metal Thunder and Strong Arm that get shuffled about. That's a pretty significant change.

The UFO set was the same, but with Wonderland instead of Long Gone. That was also changed right after Dallas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »
In NY, they also opened with We Belong To the Night.
I'd love for UFO to mix up their setlist a bit. And by mix it up, I don't mean adding Venus.

As long as Saxon keeps This Town Rocks, I'll be happy.

Edit:
Looking at the Dallas setlist:
1. Long Gone
2. Wonderland
3. Run Boy Run
4. Lights Out
5. Baby Blue
6. Ain't No Baby
7. Only You Can Rock Me
8. Burn Your House Down
9. Too Hot to Handle
10. Love To Love
11. Messiah Of Love
12. Rock Bottom
13. -encore break-
14. Cherry
15. Doctor Doctor
16. Shoot Shoot

The show on Dime lists Long Gone as the opener. Unless Mother Mary wasn't recorded. Dallas also got Ain't No Baby.