Author Topic: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP  (Read 35839 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The UFO Thread
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2020, 10:24:17 AM »
I really like Neil Carter. Dude rocks harder now than he did in the 80s, and he seems to enjoy it more than ever. He was great as Gary Moore's right hand man with the Flock of Seagulls hair, and when we saw UFO last year he brought life to the band. They're not the most energetic group of guys in the world, and his excitement was contagious.

https://youtu.be/vu0MbOhj_6o?t=122
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »
I love Neil Carter, and hell yes he was great.

I think I've posted this pic before but I took this pic of Neil playing with Gary Moore in 1987. And yes, that is Bob Daisley's bass, and no, I have no good reason why I don't have a good pic of Daisley from this show.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
I love Neil Carter, and hell yes he was great.

I think I've posted this pic before but I took this pic of Neil playing with Gary Moore in 1987. And yes, that is Bob Daisley's bass, and no, I have no good reason why I don't have a good pic of Daisley from this show.

I have two major concert regrets. One is that the last show I was too young to attend was PoM with Saxon and Fastway. Not my fault. The other is that I saw that Gary Moore show in 87 and wasn't the slightest bit interested. Didn't know anything about him other than he was apparently a good guitarist. That one was my fault and really bums me out now. I watched the full headline show from Stockholm the other day and it's fantastic. Wish I remembered what I saw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMKdlB3lbI&t=22s
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
I think I'm going to regret not having seen UFO on this last go-round. 

I have a list of opening acts that I either ignored or missed for various reasons that I wish I could go back and change now.  First are Garbage (opening for U2 in 2001), Doyle Bramhall II (opening for Clapton in 2001), and the Ben Folds Five (H.O.R.D.E. tour in 1997).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:50:57 AM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2020, 10:42:51 AM »
That's a great show and I've watched it many times.

My regret regarding that concert is that I was literally at the stage, and for some reason I chopped the heads off in every picture. I have two-TWO decent shots from the entire roll of film. The one of Neil and this one:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »
@ Bart, funny you mention Neil Carter and Gary Moore.

At the risk of blowing my wad for the Discog thread coming up, you will learn that the riff to Murder In The Skies was actually written by Paul Chapman.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »

Dammit.   :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
Oh, it's fantastic. That whole box is incredible.

Sound is good?  I need to check for that.

Im 55

Fogey.

52 in September. ;)

when I was your age Jr.......: )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »
Hey Epicview, while I have your attention...

You have Kurt Cobain as your avatar. I wouldn't necessarily think people in our age group and musical upbringing would've taken to Nirvana.

Explain.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »
Hey Epicview, while I have your attention...

You have Kurt Cobain as your avatar. I wouldn't necessarily think people in our age group and musical upbringing would've taken to Nirvana.

Explain.

I met Kurt in 1991,  I just always loved his thing,,, I was trending away from "hair metal" and was enjoying new sounds like Green River, Mother Love Bone etc.  I grew up also as punk rocker, loving and seeing and enjoying bands like the Ramones, Clash, Pistols PIL, Dead Kennedys,   Buzzcocks, Elvis C, and a lot off the Stiff Records gang,,, at the time as we know a lot of the metal acts had lost some edge.  a lot of the Hard Rock was at the end.   Kurt had a magic and authenticity that resonated with me, I was a huge Beatles guy and it just clicked, he felt like a Lennon and I loved how he was unscripted, I had gotten an early copy of Bleach and was already a fan when he hit it.. I am and was a Huge STP fan also ,, I like new sounds  today I like tings like Bring me the Horizon , Filter, Four Year Strong, Powerman , Seether TV on the Radio,,, you name it.. thats not to say I wasnt head banging int he front row at TT QUick in 1980   LOL
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:36:33 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
Wow, yeah I must say I thought you must have been more my age too mate by the avatar.  That's cool though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2020, 03:16:28 PM »
Wow, yeah I must say I thought you must have been more my age too mate by the avatar.  That's cool though.

Honorary Fogey. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
I got all y'all beat. I didn't even know who the fuck it was.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: July 09, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »
I really like Neil Carter. Dude rocks harder now than he did in the 80s, and he seems to enjoy it more than ever. He was great as Gary Moore's right hand man with the Flock of Seagulls hair, and when we saw UFO last year he brought life to the band. They're not the most energetic group of guys in the world, and his excitement was contagious.

https://youtu.be/vu0MbOhj_6o?t=122

He did a Zoom Chat a couple of weeks ago. He really speaks with such joy and passion.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pePR2qoHuRM&feature=youtu.be

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQGroBmDvE&feature=youtu.be

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2020, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »
When is it time for the UFO official discography thread?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »

As soon as Orbert finishes the Jethro Tull one. I have pretty much a lot of it written already. I'll be ready to go immediately after.

It's coming along quite well.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2020, 07:02:36 PM »

As soon as Orbert finishes the Jethro Tull one. I have pretty much a lot of it written already. I'll be ready to go immediately after.

It's coming along quite well.

How many albums does Jethro Tull have?????

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2020, 07:06:30 PM »
Hah! According to Wiki, about 8 or 9 more.

It's also going to be a combo Schenker discog thread...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: July 18, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »
Hah! According to Wiki, about 8 or 9 more.

It's also going to be a combo Schenker discog thread...

All due respect to Orbert......good grief.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: July 18, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »
I'm chomping at the bit, trust me.

But I have the entire thing outlined, and pretty much most of the text written.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP
« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
Oh wow!

http://bravewords.com/news/ufo-founder-bassist-pete-way-dead-at-69

Pete Way was one of my all time favorite musicians. I'm going to have to sit on this. Will post later..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:04 PM »
Oh wow!

Pete Way was one of my all time favorite musicians. I'm going to have to sit on this. Will post later..

Well...crap.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2020, 04:20:33 PM »
Oh wow!

Shit.  From a tragic accident too.  Awful.  This is a tough one for you mate.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
Terrible :(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »
So I'm going to cover a lot of this in the upcoming UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread...

I've been listening to UFO since I was 13. They were instant favorites for me. I listened to no band in the 80's than I did UFO. When Paul Chapman passed away a couple of months ago, I joked "Watch Pete Way outlive them all". Apparently that will not be the case.

As if the classic UFO albums weren't enough, what really elevated Pete Way in my eyes were the Waysted albums, not to mention the first Fastway album. The reunion albums with Schenker were outstanding as well.
He was a great songwriter, and had a really cool bass playing style. Steve Harris. Rick Savage. Nikki Sixx. Even Brian Wheat. They were sons of Pete Way in style, wardrobe, even how they held their bass. UFO tended to fly under the popular radar, but this is a huge loss to classic hard rock.

I was lucky enough to see Pete Way (and Paul Chapman) only once.

March 30. 1987
Providence Civic Center

Here is a link to a photo gallery on Pete's website. Some fantastic shots.

http://www.peteway.co.uk/photos/4585477325

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »
 :metal :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2020, 12:16:22 AM »
Literally know nothing about UFO, except that I constantly hear a lot of my favorite artists cite them.

Spent the evening listening to samples from their 70's/80's albums. It all sounded really solid. Found a box on Amazon that contains 10 studio albums from Phenomenon to Misdemeanor for $38 total, brand new. This contains the 2008 remasters with all the bonus tracks. Figured I could risk it for that kind of dough.

Also liked what I heard from the first 2 as well so I dropped in an order for those. One thing I am missing is the live album everyone always talks about. It appears a physical copy is a bit tough to snag right now.

My 2020 year of mass catalog buying continues.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2020, 02:21:40 AM »
Another great gone. He certainly lived the life.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2020, 07:08:44 AM »
Literally know nothing about UFO, except that I constantly hear a lot of my favorite artists cite them.

Spent the evening listening to samples from their 70's/80's albums. It all sounded really solid. Found a box on Amazon that contains 10 studio albums from Phenomenon to Misdemeanor for $38 total, brand new. This contains the 2008 remasters with all the bonus tracks. Figured I could risk it for that kind of dough.

Also liked what I heard from the first 2 as well so I dropped in an order for those. One thing I am missing is the live album everyone always talks about. It appears a physical copy is a bit tough to snag right now.

My 2020 year of mass catalog buying continues.

I’m going to do a full discography thread as soon as the Jethro Tull one if finished. Hope you’ll follow along.

That was the best $38 you’ve ever spent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »
Really nice words from Michael Schenker

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelSchenkerRocks/?ref=py_c

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2020, 03:42:06 AM »
Nice post Tim, and cool pics as always.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
What was the accident, do we know?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »
What was the accident, do we know?

I've watched a couple of web shows and no one knows. His face book doesn't mention it.

The Sun says it was an accident at home. WTF??

What's this with tragic accidents at home?

Paddy Bowden, Pete Way??
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:41:03 PM by TAC »