Author Topic: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP  (Read 35820 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Thread
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
When Orbert finishes his Jethro Tull thread...

..The UFO Discography And Listening Party will commence. Get your stories ready fogeys!

23 studio albums.
Countless live albums
The Michael Schenker Group
Waysted

All covered.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2020, 08:56:59 PM »
Thanks for doing this Tim.

Everything I've heard from UFO is awesome, but I've only heard a best of and Strangers.  I've mentioned the name UFO to supposedly classic rock fans and they have no idea who UFO is.  To me, they have the sound of a band that should be a household name; but, for whatever reason they are not.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2020, 09:07:46 PM »
Yeah, I have most of the text done for the UFO albums. Still deciding on how to integrate the Schenker and Waysted material. Will mostly go chronologically alongside the UFO albums.

Take 1983 for instance.
We have:

A chick on every cover! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2020, 06:10:06 AM »
If you cover the first two albums of the discography, you'll probably loose your entire audience.  :lol

Well, except for me. I find them charming to listen to.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »
I don't have UFO stories, except for being born the year they published their greatest tune  :D

I've snuck upon my bro's Phenomenon, Obsession, and Strangers many times, and I'm generally utterly fascinated by Schenker and Way.

I will follow, even though I'd warn you there are still 15 Tull albums to go  :lol

Are you going to cover Schenker's Scorpions stint as well?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »
If you cover the first two albums of the discography, you'll probably loose your entire audience.  :lol

:lol

Yeah, thinking of making one post covering UFO1, Flying, and Live.

Are you going to cover Schenker's Scorpions stint as well?

Both of them!

Of, what's their greatest song BTW?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
Looking Out for N1

In an ideal world, radio stations should blare that beauty out everyday  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
"Just a kid with a crazy dream, wants it all before he's seventeen"

Amazing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »

:rollin

I love UFO 1, UFO 2 and Lonesome Crow  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2020, 07:39:51 PM »
Mick Bolton

Michael Schenker

Paul Chapman

Tommy (Atomik Tommy M) McLendon

Laurence Archer

Vinnie Moore

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
I want to hear about the first three; I've been interested in hearing them for a while (and I've heard a handful of the songs from live stuff when Michael first joined) but never really got around to actually listening.   The whole moniker "space rock" is confusing for me; whenever I hear "space rock" I'm either pretty impressed - Floyd's early work, Nektar, some of Hendrix - or I'm like "wha??" - the rest of it.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »

I spun UFO 1 on Sunday; Flying right at this moment.  I'll say this ... they were definitely released in '70 and '71.  This is probably something that I could've latched on to in '86 when I first started exploring Classic Rock.  I mean Star Storm is trying to be an extended mix of Whole Lotta Love.

They're not terrible, but even the remasters sound very dated.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2020, 09:32:35 AM »
Great band  one of the best live albums ever  id still put Thin Lizzys Live and Dangerous as a better live album but UFO is second
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2020, 07:00:31 PM »

I spun UFO 1 on Sunday; Flying right at this moment.  I'll say this ... they were definitely released in '70 and '71.  This is probably something that I could've latched on to in '86 when I first started exploring Classic Rock.  I mean Star Storm is trying to be an extended mix of Whole Lotta Love.

They're not terrible, but even the remasters sound very dated.

I'm proud of you Chad for checking them out. I actually listened to Flying last night. It's actually pretty cool. You have to remember, the band are really young here. Andy Parker (the drummer) is excellent on Flying.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #294 on: June 30, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
Great band  one of the best live albums ever  id still put Thin Lizzys Live and Dangerous as a better live album but UFO is second

That's cool. You're a big Thin Lizzy guy so I would never argue that with you. I love Thin Lizzy.

Honestly, my favorite live Thin Lizzy album is the BBC Radio One Live in Concert (Reading '83). That version of Still In Love With You is amazing.

And not that Strangers didn't have studio cuts with crowd noise, but the L&D version of Southbound is so badly mixed in. It's like they didn't even care that anyone noticed or not. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2020, 06:51:35 AM »
Haha, I'm listening to UFO1 now, and "dated" isn't the word.   What a "Grand Funk Railroad/Coming Home" vibe.  :) :)

I like it so far, though. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2020, 07:01:21 AM »
Andy Parker was 18 and Pete Way was 19 when they recorded that. Phil was 22.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2020, 07:28:38 AM »
Tim, you're going to blowing your wad before you even get the bra loose. Save the foreplay for the discography thread.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2020, 07:35:34 AM »
Tim, you're going to blowing your wad before you even get the bra loose. Save the foreplay for the discography thread.

A leopard doesn't change it's spots.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »

I'm getting pumped. :metal

I was about to pimp a couple of lesser known albums today.

The thing is, we're going to do close to 40 albums.

A leopard doesn't change it's spots.  :)

This thread does make me feel 16 again. :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:31 AM »

That's cool. You're a big Thin Lizzy guy so I would never argue that with you. I love Thin Lizzy.

Honestly, my favorite live Thin Lizzy album is the BBC Radio One Live in Concert (Reading '83). That version of Still In Love With You is amazing.

And not that Strangers didn't have studio cuts with crowd noise, but the L&D version of Southbound is so badly mixed in. It's like they didn't even care that anyone noticed or not. :lol

awessome post bro  I agree  yes Im a huge Thin Lizzy fan
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
Andy Parker was 18 and Pete Way was 19 when they recorded that. Phil was 22.

I don't think Pete Way was ever 19!  ;D

Offline robbob

« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »
Always one of my favorite bands since I was a kid. Love The Wild The Willing and The Innocent, fav Chapman era album.

Just ran across this, great concert from 81, great audio. RIP Tonka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2mRtwRrVc

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2020, 09:04:24 PM »
God Yes.... 1978 with Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sim3UHOgRI

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: July 05, 2020, 09:43:59 PM »
I'm a casual UFO fan but will definitely check the listening party once it's underway.  The last one was a riot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: July 05, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »
I'm a casual UFO fan but will definitely check the listening party once it's underway.  The last one was a riot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: July 06, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
God Yes.... 1978 with Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sim3UHOgRI

Yeah, that is amazing.  Not sure if you have this, but that show is part of this box set:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: July 06, 2020, 08:03:56 PM »
Bro TAC,
NO I dont have have that   really enjoying this show...

thats a great box collection for sure

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: July 06, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
Oh, it's fantastic. That whole box is incredible.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: July 06, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »

I just modified my post after reading the discs.... yea thats a great collection in one set for sure ,,, really captures it

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: July 06, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
Yeah, I have most of the text done for the UFO albums. Still deciding on how to integrate the Schenker and Waysted material. Will mostly go chronologically alongside the UFO albums.

Take 1983 for instance.
We have:

A chick on every cover! :lol

I saw every band on that list over that 1983 84  85 period,,,, great times  Im a huge MSG fan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: July 06, 2020, 08:14:46 PM »
You must be a couple years older than me. I saw UFO in '86, MSG (opening for Rush) and Waysted (opening for Iron Maiden) in '87.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2020, 08:07:19 AM »

Sound is good?  I need to check for that.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »

Im 55

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2020, 09:17:09 AM »

Im 55

Fogey.

52 in September. ;)