Author Topic: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP  (Read 35795 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
That setlist doesn't do a whole lot for me (UFO that is) but I've never seen them so there's that.  Plus the Webster is 15 minutes from me.  Problem is, I have about five shows in about three weeks at that point.  I'm going to be doing a lot of yardwork for the wife this summer, looks like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
My biggest issue with UFO, is that I totally understand the need to play 3 or 4 songs at EVERY show. It's just that UFO plays 7 or 8 at every show.
Cherry is one of my least favorite Schenker era tracks.

And Only You Can Rock me is like seeing Maiden play Wrathchild. You look at it in the setlist and think..again??...but then they play it and it goes over so great.

I can only think of 4 Chapman era tracks that they have played in the last 10 years...We Belong To the Night, Makin' Moves, WWI, and Long Gone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
That setlist doesn't do a whole lot for me (UFO that is) but I've never seen them so there's that.  Plus the Webster is 15 minutes from me.  Problem is, I have about five shows in about three weeks at that point.  I'm going to be doing a lot of yardwork for the wife this summer, looks like.
I love when shows come all bunched together like that. I think June is supposed to be pretty busy down here. As for me, I really just went for Saxon, who I never miss. UFO really put on a good show, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
My biggest issue with UFO, is that I totally understand the need to play 3 or 4 songs at EVERY show. It's just that UFO plays 7 or 8 at every show.
Cherry is one of my least favorite Schenker era tracks.

And Only You Can Rock me is like seeing Maiden play Wrathchild. You look at it in the setlist and think..again??...but then they play it and it goes over so great.

I can only think of 4 Chapman era tracks that they have played in the last 10 years...We Belong To the Night, Makin' Moves, WWI, and Long Gone.

Doctor Doctor, Lights Out, Rock Bottom and Love to Love would be the 4 essential songs if I had to guess. I'd think that Natural Thing and Too Hot to Handle would be staples as well. Cherry is an ok song, but it's 2nd tier for them in my opinion. The only time that I seen them live was on the reunion tour, but it was so long ago that I've forgotten the setlist.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
I'd go with those 4. The Moore Era lineup has hardly ever played Natural Thing. I'm not sure either way.

And I do not need Too Hot or OYCRM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
TAC, question for you since you're definitely the resident expert on UFO. Were any other "classic" songs recorded during the Walk on Water sessions? We got new versions of Doctor Doctor and Lights Out, and I'd be interested in finding newer versions of any of the other songs that may have been recorded.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »
Honestly, I don't know.  The lineup did do a German tour in '93 before the album was recorded. There are plenty of boots out there.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
I'd go with those 4. The Moore Era lineup has hardly ever played Natural Thing. I'm not sure either way.

And I do not need Too Hot or OYCRM.

Sacrilege 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
Looks like the Saxon/UFO tour is coming back to the NE. 

Friday September 29 Worcester, MA / Palladium

Tickets purchased!! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
Just ordered this from Amazon. I cannot wait to read this book!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »

I'll be waiting for a book review. I might have to pick it up if you like it as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »
I'll let you know. It was only $14 on Amazon. It'll be back in stock next week.

I have high hopes for it. Interested in the part where his wife passes away.

Book Report will commence right after.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »

You ordered a painting of a white "X" in a black box?  Where will that go? The man cave?   :)

(Can't see the picture; what did you get?)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
Pete Way just released an autobiography. I ordered it!!! Can't wait to dig into it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
Pete Way just released an autobiography. I ordered it!!! Can't wait to dig into it.

Like he could remember anything? 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
I'm praying it's better than Ace Frehley's.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »
Let me know if you find out who supplied Bon's drugs  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
I certainly will. Sounds like Paul Chapman was closer to it than Pete though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »

Which was light years better than Peter Criss's.   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »

Which was light years better than Peter Criss's.

I wanted to reach through the page and punch the whiny git  :biggrin:
Always everyone else's fault. Typical victim mentality.

And Ace. No Regrets? Well he fucking well should have! Wasted his talent, hurt his loved ones. Dick head.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
Got the Pete Way book today. I'm 50 pages in, where Michael joins. Holy shit, this book is full of great quotes.

Michael Schenker: "There was never silence with Pete. He had to talk all the time. Luckily for me, I didn't speak any English so it all went in one ear and out the other."

Forward by Steve Harris. :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
So, I finished the Pete Way book. UFO has been a favorite band of mine since I was a kid, and Pete Way, in particular, has always been fascinating to me. I LOVED the Waysted albums in the 80's. Loved them. I was interested in his story, as I remember when his wife passed away, but I was more interested in the "Rock History" part of it as it related to UFO, Fastway, , Ozzy, Waysted, the Schenker reunion, and so on.

It's told in the first person, with a co author. Ace's book was the same way, but I felt Ace's book was so embellished by the co author, it didn't even feel like a legit autobiography.
Way's book feels a lot closer to his own words than Ace's, but the more I read, the more I could feel the co author's work.

Anyway, I thought of Paul's quote while reading this.

And Ace. No Regrets? Well he fucking well should have! Wasted his talent, hurt his loved ones. Dick head.

There is nothing redeeming or sympathetic about Pete Way. He actually was pretty pathetic. He seemed to be able to pull people in with a personal charm. Even in pictures, he seemed like a cool guy to hang out with. And he probably was. But he let his life be ruled by drugs and alcohol. 6 wives. Cheated on all of them. His kids, by different wives grew up without him.

I cannot believe the amount of drugs he did. His 5th wife, Joanna, was a doctor, and she wrote prescriptions for both of them. She ended up ODing. I seriously cannot believe this guy is alive. Most people would be dead by now doing what he did.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
Can somebody recommend me a first UFO album to check out?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »

Strangers In The Night hands down.

Strangers is the live album that ends the classic Michael Schenker era with the band. Recorded in 1978.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

Strangers In The Night hands down.

Strangers is the live album that ends the classic Michael Schenker era with the band. Recorded in 1978.

This.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
Pretty much what they said.

As an alternate, Lights Out kinda has a bit of everything you get from UFO.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
I'm the oddball, AGAIN.  I really like the Schenker studio albums, but "Strangers..." doesn't grab me in the same way as, say, Alive! or Live After Death.    Maybe I need to revisit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »
I'm the oddball, AGAIN.  I really like the Schenker studio albums, but "Strangers..." doesn't grab me in the same way as, say, Alive! or Live After Death.    Maybe I need to revisit.

Maybe you do!  ;D  But it could simply mean that you are much more of a KISS and Maiden fan.

I mean if you revisit, for me, it's all about Rock Bottom and Love To Love. The Rock Bottom solo section is incredible, and what I like is listening to Paul Raymond, especially as they set up the unison at the end of that section.

And the live version to I'm A Loser is stellar!

BTW Stadler, if you go into The Cool Thread, the last post has a UFO/KISS connection.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
What TAC said is all good, but for me, it's the quality of the production, recording, and performances (except Cherry on the CD...not good). How they captured MS tone so well may be one of the great mysteries of the last century.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
What TAC said is all good,

Damn right! :lol

it's the quality of the production, recording, and performances (except Cherry on the CD...not good). How they captured MS tone so well may be one of the great mysteries of the last century.  :)

What Podaar said is all good! ;D

Yes I totally agree.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »
I'm listening to UFO 1 right now, Tim!

I'm trying to get reacquainted with it for when you eventually run your discography.  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
I'm listening to UFO 1 right now, Tim!

I'm trying to get reacquainted with it for when you eventually run your discography.  :coolio

The best part about it is it was the first time I had a song named after me, though the second one was much more popular. ;D

It'll be a while. I will not start it until I have the entire thing written. I was listening to Phenomenon last night, kind of just starting that writeup.

I've got the Bolton era out of the way. I will likely post those albums as one post. But it's been ages since I listened to those, so it was a treat just listening to them.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
They really, really, really wanted to be Cream on the first album.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
They really, really, really wanted to be Cream on the first album.  :lol

Can you blame them? What I find funny is that the first album is much more direct and coherent than Flying.

I love Treacle People.

Gregg, I'm expecting some major contributions from you in the UFO Discog thread.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
You, got it buddy.