Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 172362 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Hobbit movies
« Reply #1260 on: March 21, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
Yep.  That was from July 2012, and the first film came out in December 2012.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: March 21, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
Yep.  That was from July 2012, and the first film came out in December 2012.

Holy. Shit.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1262 on: August 26, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
Since getting the extended edition of the hobbit, I've been meaning to catch up on the appendices. Went through the first six hours of Smaug's additional material still have another 4 hours to go. I don't think I was bored for a second through the entire thing. The people who make these documentaries did a fantastic job in showcasing almost every nuance and details without making it procedural. I'm an extras nut when it comes to boxsets and I think hands down the LOTR and Hobbit extras are the best there is, I don't think anything has come close.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1263 on: August 27, 2016, 02:08:57 AM »
I agree. Was never bored watching any of it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1264 on: August 27, 2016, 05:13:09 AM »
There is a huge disappointment among the fans of the Tolkien movies in regards to this new Ultimate Collector's Edition. It was originally supposed to have all of these new deleted scenes. From what I read, it was supposed to include the rest of the deleted scenes and outtakes. There was even supposedly a scene where Tom Bombadil is referenced and/or has a cameo. It just seems like Warner Brother's squeezing money out of people offering nothing but fancy packaging and a deceiving title.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1265 on: August 27, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »
There is a huge disappointment among the fans of the Tolkien movies in regards to this new Ultimate Collector's Edition. It was originally supposed to have all of these new deleted scenes. From what I read, it was supposed to include the rest of the deleted scenes and outtakes. There was even supposedly a scene where Tom Bombadil is referenced and/or has a cameo. It just seems like Warner Brother's squeezing money out of people offering nothing but fancy packaging and a deceiving title.
Peter Jackson said he has nothing to do with this new set.  There are also lots of other thiings he has waiting to go into a complete set, such as the infamous gag reel, that aren't included in the new set.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1266 on: August 27, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
Oh, I know he had nothing to do with this. There's also the additional movie score music that fans are hoping gets released but is also not looking good.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1267 on: August 27, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
Also the price is ridiculous to say the least. Currently $600 at amazon with about a month to go before release.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1268 on: August 27, 2016, 03:53:44 PM »
The price is beyond ridiculous. It's supposed to appeal to the die-hard fans, I'm assuming, because no average viewer is going to spend that much on the set. However, the die-hard fans want something new, not the same movies wrapped up in different packaging. I would love to buy this as the HUGE Tolkien fan, and completist, that I am, but I don't see the draw here except having everything in one set. I actually plan on writing to Warner Home Video. They didn't want to spend the money to add all of the new stuff.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1269 on: April 10, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
Over the weekend, I decided to re-watch the Hobbit trilogy. I have not seen any of the films since they originally came out in theaters. I picked up the Extended Editions and watched 90 minutes of each film at a time, as I knew that watching all three hours at once might be a little much.

Well... Even 90 minutes at a time turned out to be a little much. :lol Those films have some awesome stuff in them, but in my opinion, there's an equal amount of padding. For example, I felt as though the second film could have completely skipped over the skin changer stuff without losing a beat.

Overall, still fun movies though.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1270 on: April 10, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »
I did something similar like a month ago, but I only finished the first two. I might see the third one again at some point but I don't really care, they're not really that good and it all feels like it's so fake.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1271 on: April 10, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
They have their faults but Martin Freeman gave a much more enjoyable leading Man/Hobbit performance than Elijah Wood did.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:38:52 AM by soupytwist »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1272 on: April 10, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »
Probably already popped up before, but on the web you can find two recut, fanmade versions of the Hobbit, one lasts 4 hours and another one three. I always wanted to watch them but haven't find the time so far.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1273 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
They have their faults but Martin Freeman gave a much more enjoyable leading Man/Hobbit performance than Elijah Wood did.

Well yeah, Frodo's entire journey is pretty bleak compared to Bilbo's, which is more fun. But Frodo's stuff is a far superior story in my opinion.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1274 on: April 11, 2017, 03:47:44 AM »

Well yeah, Frodo's entire journey is pretty bleak compared to Bilbo's, which is more fun. But Frodo's stuff is a far superior story in my opinion.

True.  It's just that Wood's performance seemed way to earnest for me, which made him a tad one dimensional and actually quite boring - he's not that bad in the book.  Also his performance in a way reminded me of Tobey McGuire in Spiderman in that he always looks like he is about to burst into tears.   Freeman in my opinion captured Bilbo and the personal growth the journey takes him on much, much better.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1275 on: April 11, 2017, 04:32:51 AM »
I really, really liked the second Hobbit movie!

Other two are also pretty good. Acting is solid across the board, especially Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1276 on: April 11, 2017, 05:18:07 AM »
I agree that the second one is the best. It has my two favorite scenes from the trilogy: Bilbo's first meeting with Smaug, and Gandalf's confrontation with Sauron.

Although, my favorite thing to come out of the Hobbit movies is probably the "An Incomprehensible Journey" YouTube-poop.