Author Topic: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Unity Band (2012)  (Read 14675 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Beyond the Missouri Sky (1997)
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2021, 03:10:28 PM »
Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny - Beyond the Missouri Sky (Short Stories) (1997)

A duet album between Haden and Metheny. There are no drums except for very minimal ones on the last song. Very laid back album, but there are some classic Pat moments on here. The album evokes a mid-western feel, as also shown on the album cover. Some pretty tunes here, a few more melancholic ones, too. Most of the tunes are covers, Pat provides two compositions, Haden the rest. I don't recognize the covers so it's all new Pat music for me. A nice album to put on if you want something more mellow or just want music that really focuses on Pat's playing. Haden provides a great backup to what Pay plays on this album. Not one I throw on a lot, but it's nice when I do.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2021, 06:54:57 AM »
Alright some catching up:

Till We Have Faces - Thank you for the link. My immediate impression after opening this album up and hearing that opening drum fill I knew I was going to love this record, as I listened more I became even more sure of that. I can understand why you described it as angry jazz, it felt very in your face. I really liked this record (I'm listening to it again right now :lol) and I'm going to seek it out to add to my collection.

Noa - This album was good but not my favorite. Nothing really stuck out to me on this record, this might be due to me listening to it right after the Gary Thomas album so I might not have been in the right headspace for it. It sounds a lot like the previous PMG albums in the sense of production and writing. My biggest complaint about this record would be Noa's vocals. They are not terrible, but at some points it seems really breathy and at times I think she can have a weird inflection, maybe it's her vibrato? Her style of singing reminds me a little bit of Tori Amos. "Mishaela" was the standout for me on this record.

I got Quartet queued up next and Passaggio after that. Will post when I get through those.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »
Glad you like the Gary Thomas album. That album is an outlier for Pat albums. What are your thoughts on We Live Here?

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Imaginary Day (1997)
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »
Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day (1997)

Easily one of the Group's best albums. Prog-jazz at its finest, and features some of the most diverse music in their catalog, all on one album. From the opening notes of the title track, this is yet another adventure unlike the previous albums. Where the previous album We Live Here was more mainstream sounding, and follow up Quartet was looser, sometimes jazzier, and delved into darker realms, this album is more constructed, composed, and high energy, and sounds nothing like the previous PMG albums, aside from the band member's individual styles. We get more folk and 'exotic' sounds again, but this time the influences seems to be coming from Tibet, India, Eastern Europe, and Australia. Vocalists return on some tracks here, but are more subdued. The band is also augmented by various percussionists, including vibraphonist Dave Samuels.

Each track is its own flavor, from progressive, to dreamy, to densely layered, to hard-hitting and aggressive, particular on the track The Roots of Coincidence, which is the only PMG track where the band plays metal, but with a cool techno-sounding almost bass n drum groove underneath. There is some great 'solo' Pat guitar on the album, and we even get, what sounds to me, like swashbuckling pirate sounding stuff on the last track. This album is a huge grower, and because of its compositional density, may take a few listens to 'get' but there are enough classic moments from Pat and Lyle to hook you in right away. This would be the last album with long time drummer Paul Wertico, who would leave the band a few years after this album's release.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Imaginary Day (1997)
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2021, 12:22:50 PM »
I just wanted to say that I appreciate darkshade doing this discography and that I intend to someday read through this all.  But my life has been busy as hell lately and we're past the stuff I have on my harddrive, so it's been tough finding the time.  I still love pretty much everything I've heard from Pat though.  Someday...

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Like Minds (1998)
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2021, 08:58:49 AM »
Gary Burton - Like Minds (1998)
with Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes

Gary Burton co-headlines this album that is really a Pat Metheny album like Question and Answer (which also features Holland and Haynes) but with Burton and Corea also contributing, sort of a full band "Crystal Silence" affair fused with Metheny's vision. Much of this music is acoustic jazz post bop, with Pat sticking to the clean guitar throughout, no effects. This album is a great companion to Pat's 1989 Question and Answer album, well as Roy Haynes' 1994 album "Te Vou!" which also features Pat; as well as companion to Chick and Burton's duet recordings like "Crystal Silence". If you like all those albums, you'll very likely enjoy this album. A great afternoon album.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »
love Imaginary Day!

Roots of Coincidence is so bloody good!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »
Like Minds is a classic, Avengers-level team up of awesome Jazz musicians. Really great sound too, it was recorded in the legendary Avatar studios and has a really nice warmth. There’s a lot of subtlety to the playing, especially dealing with three chordal instruments, so the added definition is a huge plus.

I’m a sucker for anything that Gary Burton does, especially if Pat is involved.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2021, 05:09:31 PM »
Did some catching up:

We Live Here - Smooth Jazz is the first thing that came to mind when hearing this record. It reminded me of growing up and listening to our local smooth jazz station with my dad on drives. There is some great playing on this record and it's very even keel in terms of mood and feel. I particularly like the playing on "The Girls Next Door", there was some real tasty guitar work there. This song also reminded me of something I'd find the The Sims soundtrack :lol. I think my favorite track of the album would probably go to "Stranger In Town". Some of the phrasing seemed really similar to Guthrie Govan's style of playing which really appealed to me

Quartet - This was a tougher listen to me. Where with We Live Here I liked the album from start to finish there were some songs that stuck out that I didn't care for, mainly Montevideo. The thing I did enjoy about this album is it seemed more downbeat than We Live Here. I could listen to We Live Here on the drive to work and listen to Quartet winding down at night (maybe spin "Mojave" watching a horror movie).

Passaggio per il Paradiso - I don't really have much to say about this album because I only found a few tracks to this album on youtube. I did enjoy what I heard and I agree with the orchestral sentiment. I'll keep searching and see if I can find a playlist for it.

Beyond The Missouri Sky - I think this might be my favorite album of this particular group of albums. Pat's guitar tone really stands out to me here. I thought the songs here were really delicate and beautiful. I didn't recognize any of the tunes so I don't really have a reference to the original material they are covering.

Imaginary Day - A few years back when I went on a mission to listen to Pat this was one of the first two albums I picked to listen through and quite frankly at the time it didn't do much for me. After listening to it again I kind of feel the same way, it just feel indifferent to me. Having heard this I think I'd rather go back listen to any of the previous albums. That said I love "Into The Dream", it's an awesome little tune.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2021, 07:51:39 PM »
New live album "Side-Eye" coming and Tour.

"Better Days"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV8Qk4kJ8ZQ

https://www.patmetheny.com/news/full_display.cfm?id=149

Side-Eye Extensive World Tour Dates Unveiled

As is only fitting for a musician known for an extensive touring regime, Metheny has announced over 100 concerts world-wide to accompany the release of SIDE-EYE— returning to the road this fall and spanning well into 2022, with even more shows to be announced soon. As on the recording, the live version of SIDE-EYE will feature the phenomenally talented pianist/organist/keyboardist James Francies. The drum chair in SIDE-EYE has been filled to-date by some of the most exciting players around including Eric Harland, Anwar Marshall and most notably, Marcus Gilmore, who is spotlighted on the recording. The exciting young New Orleans drummer, Joe Dyson, will be featured in the upcoming live performances around the world.

PAT METHENY SIDE-EYE TOUR DATES

September 16, 2021 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
September 17, 2021 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
September 18, 2021 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
September 19, 2021 - Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
September 21, 2021 - Revolution Hall - Portland, OR
September 22, 2021 - Cascade Theater - Redding, CA
September 24, 2021 - Monterey Jazz Fest - Monterey, CA
September 25, 2021 - SFJazz Center Miner Auditorium - San Francisco, CA
September 26, 2021 - SFJazz Center Miner Auditorium - San Francisco, CA
September 27, 2021 - Crest Theater - Sacramento, CA
September 29, 2021 - Lobero Theatre - Santa Barbara, CA
September 30, 2021 - The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park - San Diego, CA
October 1, 2021 - Irvine Barclay Theatre - Irvine, CA
October 3, 2021 - Mesa Arts Center - Mesa, AZ
October 5, 2021 - Fox Tucson Theatre - Tucson, AZ
October 6, 2021 - National Hispanic Cultural Center - Albuquerque, NM
October 7, 2021 - Boulder Theatre - Boulder, CO
October 8, 2021 - Strings Music Pavilion - Steamboat Springs, CO
October 9, 2021 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
October 11, 2021 - Lied Center Performing Arts - Lincoln, NB
October 12, 2021 - Pantages Theatre - Minneapolis, MN
October 14, 2021 - Pabst Theatre - Milwaukee, WI
October 15, 2021 - Thalia Hall (2 shows) - Chicago, IL
October 16, 2021 - Memorial Hall - Cincinnati, OH
October 17, 2021 -Orchestra Hall - Detroit, MI
November 4, 2021 - Flying Monkey - Plymouth, NH
November 5, 2021 - State Theatre - Portland, ME
November 6, 2021 - Foxwoods- The Fox Theater - Mashantucket, CT
November 7, 2021 - Wilbur Theatre - Boston, MA
November 9, 2021 - Ridgefield Playhouse - Ridgefield, CT
November 11, 2021 - Keswick Theater - Glenside, PA
November 12, 2021 - State Theatre New Jersey - New Brunswick, NJ
November 13, 2021 - The Music Center at Strathmore - N Bethesda, MD
November 14, 2021 - Patchogue Theater of Performing Arts - Patchogue, NY
November 16, 2021 - Williams Center for the Arts - Easton, PA
November 18, 2021 - Kodak Theater - Rochester, NY
November 19, 2021 - Troy Music Hall - Troy, NY
November 20, 2021 - Academy of Music - Northampton, MA
February 3, 2022 - State Theatre - State College, PA
February 4, 2022 - Ferguson Center for the Arts - Newport News, VA
February 5, 2022 - Jefferson Center - Roanoke, VA
February 7, 2022 - Schermerhorn Symphony Center - Nashville, TN
February 8, 2022 - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium - Asheville, NC
February 9, 2022 - Carolina Theater - Durham, NC
February 11, 2022 - Blumenthal Knight Arts Theater - Charlotte, NC
February 12, 2022 - Variety Theater (2 Shows) - Atlanta, GA
February 13, 2022 - UAB’s Alys Stephens Center - Birmingham, AL
February 14, 2022 - Charleston Music Hall - Charleston, SC
February 16, 2022 - Lyric Center - Stuart, FL
February 17, 2022 - Dr. Phillips Center - Orlando, FL
February 18, 2022 - Arsht Center Knight Concert Hall - Miami, FL
February 19, 2022 - Florida Theatre - Jacksonville, FL
February 20, 2022 - Capitol Theatre - Clearwater, FL
February 23, 2022 - One World Theater - Austin, TX
February 24, 2022 - One World Theater - Austin, TX
February 25, 2022 - Cullen Theater - Houston, TX
February 26, 2022 - Majestic Theatre- Dallas, TX
April 26, 2022 - Sono Centrum- Brno, Cz
April 27, 2022 - Wiener Konzerthaus- Vienna, Au
April 28, 2022 - MUPA - Budapest, Hgy
April 29, 2022 - Forum Karlin - Prague, Cz
May 1, 2022 - Alte Oper Erfurt - Erfurt, Gr
May 2, 2022 - Alte Oper - Frankfurt, Gr
May 3, 2022 - Tollhaus Karlsruhe - Karlsruhe, Gr
May 4, 2022 - Tonhalle Dusseldorf - Dusseldorf, Gr
May 6, 2022 - Grand Teatro Geox - Padova, It
May 7, 2022 - Teatro Alighieri -Ravenna, It
May 8, 2022 - Teatro Umberto Giordano - Foggia, It
May 9, 2022 - Auditorium Parco della Musica - Rome, It
May 11, 2022 - Auditorium Del Lingotto - Torino, It
May 12, 2022 - Teatro degli Arcimboldi - Milano, It
May 13, 2022 - Volkhaus - Zurich, Sw
May 14, 2022 - Philharmonie im Gasteig - Munich, Gr
May 15, 2022 - Philharmonic Luxembourg - Luxembourg
May 17, 2022 - Admiralspalast - Berlin, Gr
May 19, 2022 - Oetkerhalle Halle - Bielefeld, Gr
May 20, 2022 - Geblasehalle - Neunkirchen, Gr
May 21, 2022 - L’Olympia - Paris, Fr
May 22, 2022 - Ancienne Belgique - Brussels, Bl
May 24, 2022 - Beethoven Saal - Stuttgart, Gr
May 25, 2022 - Konzerthaus Dortmund - Dortmund, Gr
May 27, 2022 - Haus Auensee - Leipzig, Gr
May 28, 2022 - Laeiszhalle - Hamburg, Gr
May 29, 2022 - De Roma - Antwerp, Bl
May 30, 2022 - Tivoli Vredenberg - Utrecht, Hld
June 2, 2022 - Opera Nova - Bydgoszcz, Pl
June 3, 2022 - Opera Lesna - Sopot, Pl
June 4, 2022 - Palladium - Warsaw, Pl
June 6, 2022 - National Forum of Music - Wroclaw, Pl
June 7, 2022 - Centrum Spotkania Kultur - Lublin, Pl
June 8, 2022 - Church of St. Kolbe - Bielsko-Biala, Pl
June 9, 2022 - Kunsthaus Weiz - Weiz, Aus
June 12, 2022 - Hammersmith - London, UK
June 14, 2022 - Rocher de Palmer - Cenon, Fr
June 15, 2022 - Sala Mozart - Zaragoza, Sp
June 17, 2022 - Aud. Mar de Vigo - Vigo, Sp
June 18, 2022 - Botanical Garden - Madrid, Sp
June 19, 2022 - Teatro de la Maestranza - Seville, Sp
June 21, 2022 - Palau de la Musica - Barcelona, Sp
June 22, 2022 - Palau de les Arts - Valencia, Sp

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
I'm not sure if I'll be in town February but if I am I'm definitely going to try and catch him in Charlotte.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Jim Hall & Pat Metheny (1999)
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »
Jim Hall & Pat Metheny (1999)

Another duet album, this time with guitarist Jim Hall. Half studio/half live, the audience is silent on the live tracks so it feels like a studio album with the occasional audience clapping. Jim is on the left channel, and Pat is on the right channel. There is a lot of mid-range electric clean guitar on this album, what with both guitarist's preferred EQ settings, but Pat also includes acoustic guitar, fretless acoustic guitar, and his 42 string Picasso guitar. The mood is mellow, definitely a dreamy album. This is actually one of the first exposures to Pat's playing I ever heard, so I have a soft spot for this album. There is a lot of Pat's stuff on here, mixed with some standards, and improvisations sprinkled in, especially towards the end of the album. A wonderful listen to get lost in during a late night session.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
Rick Beato posted his interview with Pat today, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I'll check it out tonight https://youtu.be/QEgalcH_-b4

Offline darkshade

« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »
Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
I watched the whole interview, and Rick Beato is a great interviewer. I'm surprised they didn't discuss the new album(s) much but it was great to hear Pat talk about the 70s music and musicians he worked with from that period. This was a very insightful interview, they really dived in to Pat's mode of thinking about music, and the things he plays and works on to improve as a guitarist/musician/bandleader.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: A Map Of The World (1999)
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2021, 01:31:34 PM »
Pat Metheny - A Map Of The World (1999)

Another soundtrack album by Pat for a movie I've never seen or heard of otherwise. The movie stars Sigourney Weaver and Julianne Moore,
Signourney's voice is heard on this album on one of the tracks, I assume it's a line from the movie.
The music is reminiscent of Pat's previous soundtrack album, Passaggio per il Paradiso, but this album
is much better in my opinion. The album's whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and the album mostly progresses like a suite.
There are many tracks here, some of them are variations of the main themes, but others are their own tune.

There is heavy orchestration on this album, we hear lush strings throughout underneath Pat's guitar.
There is little jazz here, and even less drums or percussion. It's more orchestral, almost classical.
A very pretty album, it is not quite as good as an album like Secret Story but it has many heartfelt moments, and even a few darker moments.
There are some moments that remind me of some stuff from Pat Metheny Group, but overall this feels more like a Pat solo album.
It's a little slow at times, and with the lack of drums, is not a preferred album of his for me, but when I put it on,
I can't help but let the music wash over me, for the melodies truly are beautiful.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Trio 99 → 00 (2000)
« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
Pat Metheny - Trio 99 → 00 (2000)

This is a group Pat put together in the late 90s as follows the continuity of albums like Question and Answer and Rejoicing. Pat sticks to clean electric guitar and some acoustic guitar, with Larry Grenadier and Bill Stewart of drums. This rhythm section frequently played with John Scofield, but with Pat, their energy is quite different, as Pat's music can be fast paced and complex. Having said that, there are a few mellower tunes here as well. I really like Soul Cowboy and Just Like The Day. This cover of Giant Steps is interesting and unique, and I enjoy the two Pat Metheny Group 'covers' at the end, especially Travels, that's just a great melody. The sound of the music is a little sterile to me, and that is why I sometimes prefer to listen to the live album that accompanied this one, released around the same time:

Pat Metheny - Trio → Live (2000)

On this album, the tunes come to life. Pat also has his synth guitar and effects present, along with the Picasso guitar. We also get some "greatest hits" from Pat's canon, including Bright Size Life, Question and Answer, Into The Dream, So May It Secretly Begin, The Bat, James, Unity Village, and long time favorite cover of Pat's "All The Things You Are" which was also on the Jim Hall and Pat Metheny album. A few of the tunes here are extended much longer than their studio counterparts.

The new tunes are played incredibly well and the sound is incredible. While the 1st disc could be considered a 'safe' Pat Metheny disc, the 2nd disc of this album is mostly focused on the newer stuff, and the last three tracks consist of brand new, previously unreleased music. Night Turns Into Day, Faith Healer, and Counting Texas. FH in particular is a 18 minute behemoth, sounding quite unlike the other Trio stuff up until this point. It goes into Zero Tolerance For Silence territory, but thankfully never goes fully there, or for too long, plus the band sounds quite ferocious on the track. Pat also utilizes his synth guitar a lot on this one.

Overall, these aren't my favorite Pat albums, but I tend to seek these albums out when I want to listen to other Pat albums that I listen to more frequently. I find the two albums to be companion albums, I usually will want to listen to both around the same time when I'm digging for more Pat to listen to. They're good, real good at times, it's just there is more out there I like even more.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Trio 99 → 00 (2000)
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2021, 12:40:44 PM »
The live album is the best document of that band. It features the best material from the studio album and played better. The Latin flavored Giant Steps is really cool and it has one of the best versions of Question and Answer. Nice to hear old favorites like So It May Secretly Begin, Bright Size Life, and Unity Village. Not super into the free jazz moments, but the actual tunes are great. Awesome All the Things You Are.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline darkshade

Lyle Mays - Solo: Improvisations For Expanded Piano (2000)

The 4th and final Lyle Mays solo album, and this time, it's a true solo album. There is only piano and some light synths on this album. This is a much darker album than anything I've heard from Lyle Mays. Definitely an album to listen to at night with all the lights off. The only track that sounds a little different is the final tune, "Long Life" which sounds more like the classic Mays sound we've come to know and love, like something from his 80s work or most PMG albums. It's a shame Lyle didn't record more albums in his lifetime, as they all have their own identifiable character, and his style of playing I can never get sick of, it is so lyrical, melodic, touching, and really one of a kind. Though his canon is limited compared to others, I put him up there with the piano legends alongside Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, and Duke Ellington.

I realize now that I accidentally skipped Lyle's 1993 album "Fictionary" which features Marc Johnson on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums. That is a great jazz album with very great production, and a must hear if you like any of the musicians on it. More of a straight ahead affair, Lyle mostly plays acoustic piano, but it still has that Lyle touch which is unmistakably him and there are some great tunes on there as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Was on vacation so not much music listening. Will catch up this weekend and post my thoughts.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Speaking Of Now (2002)
« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2021, 03:38:45 PM »
Pat Metheny Group - Speaking Of Now (2002)

The best way I can describe this album, is that it's a safe album by Pat Metheny Group. It's a very good album, one of the better albums in Pat's discography, but something about it just feels... safe. The music continues the dense composed style of Imaginary Day, but brings back some of the South American sounds and influences heard on the Group's 80s and early 90s releases. With that, there is a sense of "we've been here before", which is contrast to PMG's discography of always looking ahead, trying to break new ground. I also don't consider this album as exciting as those albums from the 80s/90s. Having said that, there is some great material here, and it is an easier listen than the Group's last few albums, for sure. The mood is a feel-good mood, perhaps brought on by the new vocalists who add a warmth to the sound, unlike someone like Pedro Aznar, where there was a sort of sadness that came from his voice, to my ears at least.

This is also an important one, as it is the first album to feature then-new drummer Antonio Sánchez, who has become Pat's "sidekick" in a way, appearing on almost all Pat Metheny releases since 2002 to the present day. His style has a more 'updated' sound than the previous PMG drummers, as Sanchez doesn't rely on rock rhythms very often. Instead he is a much busier drummer, with lots of chops, and not sticking to slick beats. Not that the previous drummers weren't technically proficient, but Antonio definitely plays like he means business, and probably wants to show he can hang with guys like Jack DeJohnette and Roy Haynes, as he is 'the young new guy' here. He is also, at times, lighter as well. His playing is very dynamic.

Musically, this album includes some new sounds we haven't heard on a PMG album, like trumpet, from another new member Cuong Vu, and multi-instrumentalist Richard Bona. Of course Pat, Lyle, and Rodby are back, and play as great as ever. It's just this album, while it has all the PMG trademarks, catchy melodies, great solos, lush orchestration, it just doesn't rise above most other PMG albums for me. It doesn't move me like most other albums do, it's just a nice, pleasant listen. Which is great, but makes it so I don't reach for this one as often as I should. When I do listen, though, I'm never less than impressed with how Pat and Lyle could put this beautiful music together. Ironically, I think the best tune here is the song "Afternoon", a song sung by Richard Bona in a mix of Spanish and English, but I'm not totally sure. The song itself is quite catchy, with a lovely swinging rhythm, something not heard often from Pat and co. It's also incredibly fun and easy to play along to on guitar. "Proof" became a live staple for a while, and the last tune "Wherever You Go" is a classic PMG tune, highly underrated. The Japanese import also contains a bonus track, "Epilogue" which is a solo acoustic guitar piece.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Speaking Of Now (2002)
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2021, 04:37:29 PM »
Speaking of now, Lyle Mays' new EP "Eberhard", and final studio album was released today. Recorded in 2019 and 2020. A 13 minute jazz-prog "mini symphony". It's all Lyle, but has these moments that make me think of the music of Eberhard Weber, the German bassist/composer. Lyle appeared on one of Weber's albums, "Later That Evening" (1982)

https://jazztimes.com/blog/lyle-mays-final-studio-work-to-be-released-in-august/

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: One Quiet Night (2003)
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2021, 04:16:08 PM »
Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night (2003)

If you enjoy Pat Metheny's solo guitar pieces, you will probably love this album, as that is what this album is. A collection of tunes, most written by Pat, played solely on the acoustic guitar. This is an album I didn't care for too much early on in my Pat listening, essentially overlooked it. Over time, it has grown on me and I now consider it one of Pat's best. Since it is solo acoustic, I don't throw it on as regularly as other Pat offerings, but this is still a fine album. It is very stripped down Pat Metheny Group in a lot of ways. The originals are deep, thought-provoking; the covers are beautiful, peaceful. Pat's rendition of "Don't Know Why" is great. The sound on the album is so crystal clear, no doubt because PMG bassist Steve Rodby produced it along with Pat. He's produced most of Pat's albums for the last 30 years.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2021, 06:57:54 PM »
love Speaking of Now and it was probably the 1st album i ever heard from Pat Metheny. Sanchez, Cuong Vu and Richard Bona all stand out in different ways. I actually mentioned it recently in a YouTube video I made, among some albums I want to come out on Vinyl, that have yet to. I dunno if Pat doesn't feel it's warranted, or just haven't found the time to sign off for it to be pressed on Vinyl. I wish it would though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:13:46 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »
I haven't caught up yet but I am really familiar with One Quiet Night

I've known the name Pat Metheny for about as long as I've been playing guitar but it took forever for me to check him out. A few years back I got on youtube and looked for some Pat Metheny stuff, I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvaVQZP6A_M I loved this acoustic medley. Having finished watching it a half dozen times I quickly went looking for more acoustic stuff from Pat, I didn't really find much.

Fast forward a couple years and the title track to One Quiet Night pops up on my discover playlist on Spotify and I fell in love spinning the track multiple times throughout the day. I then went and checked out the rest of the album and enjoyed it start to finish. This is easily my favorite Pat album simply because it sounds like a world of acoustic music that I'm already intimately familiar with; albums like Passion Session by Don Ross except that Pat's album has a more somber feel to it. The playing is suberb as is the tone and production of this album. My two standout tracks are One Quiet Night and Song For The Boys, back to back bangers. I put the album on again while writing this post and it just puts a smile on my face.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: The Way Up (2005)
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2021, 08:49:37 AM »
Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up (2005)

This is the band's magnum opus. A 68 minute-long single composition, divided into 4 tracks; though I've seen copies that divide it into 3 tracks, I will be discussing the version with 4 tracks. This is a massive composition that twists and turns and never lets up. This album came out around the time I first became aware of Pat Metheny. Due to it's grand scale, I did not get into it right away. Granted, the opening and introduction of the main theme caught my ears right away. It is a gorgeous melody. After the first few minutes of the 2nd track, the piece becomes a lot more complex, and I will admit it's taken me years to fully appreciate this album from beginning to end, but now I think this is possibly Pat and Lyle's greatest work, and not only one of the best jazz albums to ever be made, but one of the most progressive albums I've ever heard. It is prog-jazz insanity, interlaced with classic Metheny/Mays themes, at times it feels like the summation of the Group's entire career, but other times, it sounds like nothing I've heard before.

This would wind up being the band's final studio album, and the last time we would hear Lyle Mays on a studio album until the recently released "Eberhard". After the tour for this album, Lyle Mays faded out of the music business. Sanchez continues playing with Metheny to this day. Rodby has been co-producing pretty much all of Pat's albums since the late 90s, and Cuong Vu would re-unite with Pat for an album a few years later.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »
I've said it many times, The Way Up was much better live when I saw Pat and his band perform the whole thing with the Westwood Collegiate Band (from Manitoba) in Minneapolis in 2005.

The studio album has moments, but I feel it drags in spots. Why I have always preferred Speaking of Now over it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2021, 11:35:38 AM »
The live DVD from this album's tour is a great one. PMG is a live band that made studio albums. There is a bunch of live video releases from Pat Metheny Group, but no audio-only CDs, only Travels and The Road To You. I would listen to the live The Way Up more often if I had the audio files, or a live CD. I got the Live Imaginary Day DVD recently and have been meaning to put it on, and you helped remind me I have it and need to check it out.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2021, 03:07:39 PM »
Years ago (via Blockbuster Online, that's how many years ago) I was checking out every live DVD I could get my hands on.  Similar to Netflix, a fixed monthly fee meant I could have up to three discs at a time, check them out, send one back while I check out the others, get the next one in my queue, rinse and repeat.  My queue had dozens of live DVDs, concert videos, makings-of, etc., from everybody I'd ever heard of and some I hadn't.

I didn't read the info on "The Way Up - Live" very closely and thought it was a "normal" concert.  Man, that opening piece was incredible.  It kept going, kept changing... it was mind-blowing.  Finally after like an hour or whatever, they concluded the piece... and said good-night.  What?  Only one tune?  It was a hell of a tune, for sure, but I guess I should've read the notes a little better.  I was left with mixed feelings because it was an astounding performance, but I wasn't ready for that to be the entire performance so there was a tinge of disappointment as well.

But that was my intro to the piece.  I've checked out the studio version, but as darkshade said, it's kinda hard to get into it after the live version which is so much better.  Okay, "better" isn't quite fair, because there's nothing wrong with the studio version.  Something had to come first.  But man, that live performance was fire.  Great stuff.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #239 on: September 09, 2021, 07:35:38 AM »
Bumping this thread to state that Pat's most recent album, Road To The Sun, is really hitting the spot on this rainy morning.
It has that Watercolors/New Chautauqua vibe.

Offline darkshade

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: NEW ALBUM "Side-Eye NYC (V1.IV)"
« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2021, 11:51:06 AM »
New album is live, consists of half new material, half fresh takes on old favorites, which are very pleasing to the ear. The new material ranges from energetic, almost-fusion material, with loads of great keyboard work with synths and organ, to Pink Floydian textures with that identifiable Metheny shredding solo. Pat rocks out, Pat's clean tone is butter, the band stylistically is covering a lot of ground, from jazz, soul, blues, fusion, rock, dub, drum n bass, and third stream.

Pat's last few albums released have been pretty great, and I think are his best run of albums in a long time. There is a breath of fresh air in the new material, and the music has a bigger sense of adventure than much of Pat's albums from last decade or so. The sound is also warmer, where I feel most of his albums since The Way Up, has a cold production to me, with the exception of Orchestrion. Pat's tone, particularly his clean tone, often felt muffled and hollow. While I can appreciate the diversity in sound over the course of his career, it's nice to see the new stuff return to the warm, optimistic landscape that Pat is mostly known for.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Metheny Mehldau Quartet (2006/7)
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2021, 01:46:26 PM »
Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau - "Metheny/Mehldau" (2006)

Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau - "Metheny Mehldau Quartet" (2007)

Two albums that were released separately but both come from the same sessions recorded in December 2005.
The first, "Metheny Mehldau" is a duet album with Pat and pianist Brad Mehldau,
with a couple of quartet tracks featuring bassist Larry Grenadier, and drummer Jeff Ballard.

The second album, "Metheny Mehldau Quartet" is what it
sounds like, the full band on most tracks (there is one or two duet tracks again on MMQ) Musically I think Pat fits in well with Mehldau's moody approach.

I prefer the Quartet album but I tend to put the other album soon after anyway. It works as a quasi double album. While there are some good moments, these are not albums
I usually grab right away when I want to listen to Pat's music, as the music is a little 'colder' sounding than the usual Metheny fare, but works well when the weather is a bit brisk.

From what I've heard of Mehldau's music, these albums are more similar to his own albums than Pat's. Like I said, a little more cold and wintry-sounding to me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2021, 02:16:08 AM »
Although I haven't had too much time to respond a lot in the last weeks, please keep these posts going :) They are greatly appreciated! Your post about Pat's new album also made me more excited to hear it. Will check it out these days!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline darkshade

« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2021, 07:51:31 AM »
I took a short break from updating this thread after The Way Up, plus I wanted to give Lyle and Pat's new albums some attention, but we're back on the train here.