Author Topic: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Unity Band (2012)  (Read 14620 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Reunion (1990)
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2021, 03:28:34 PM »
I have this one, and I like it a lot.  I love vibes, and Gary Burton is one of the few vibes players that I actually know of (the other of course is Lionel Hampton), so hearing Gary and Pat together again is great.  For a long time, I didn't realize that Pat got his start with Gary Burton, so the title "Reunion" was lost on me.  But now I understand.  Great jams.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2021, 03:49:22 PM »
I have this one, and I like it a lot.  I love vibes, and Gary Burton is one of the few vibes players that I actually know of (the other of course is Lionel Hampton), so hearing Gary and Pat together again is great.  For a long time, I didn't realize that Pat got his start with Gary Burton, so the title "Reunion" was lost on me.  But now I understand.  Great jams.

If you like vibes, check out Dave Samuels. His own albums are very tropical sounding, like this album, along with his Caribbean Jazz Project albums.
He's also on most of Spyro Gyra's albums, and is also on Frank Zappa's live album, Zappa In New York.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2021, 05:13:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Question and Answer (1990)
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2021, 08:55:30 AM »
Moving on.

Pat Metheny - Question and Answer (1990)
with Dave Holland, and Roy Haynes

This is my favorite Pat Metheny 'straight' jazz album, and also one of my favorite Pat albums, period. Recorded on December 21, 1989, right at the tail end of the 80s, this album sounds like it was recorded yesterday. If you didn't like the more atonal or experimental jazz Pat has done on some tracks up until this point, you may prefer this album. If you prefer Pat without all the synths and effects, this may be the album for you. Pat is stripped down to just his clean electric guitar (except on one track) There are no 80s drum pads, Roy Haynes plays acoustic drums, and Dave Holland, as usual, plays acoustic upright double bass. Pat has released trio recordings before and since, more acoustic jazz stuff as well, but on this album I feel like it's the perfect blend of his 80s sensibilities of the time, it still feels electric, bright, and almost fusion-y, but it's clearly post-bop jazz, however with a bit of a spring in its step, no doubt due to the high caliber rhythm section of Holland and Haynes. Each track is a joy to listen to, Pat's tone is warm, vibrant, Holland's tone is chill, yet always doing something interesting, and Haynes is a legendary world class drummer, and has such a pop in his snare and is a master with the cymbals.

The music consists of a mix of Pat originals, and a few covers. In jazz, unlike in rock or classical, covers can be straight covers, but more often they tend to be more loose interpretations of the original, with perhaps only the melody being the only thing recognizable, if that.

I really like the opening Miles Davis tune, Solar. The title track is a Pat live staple and possibly a jazz standard at this point. The next couple tracks are other Metheny orginals, all good tunes. Law Years is an Ornette Coleman tune, and very frenetic at times without going over the deep end. The second side consists of the prettiest tune here, Change of Heart, their covers of All The Things You Are and Old Folks is solid. The final track, my favorite, Three Flights Up, is a great song. This tune is more like a Pat Metheny Group sounding tune, and Pat brings in the synths and synclavier but Roy and Dave are as fired up as they've ever been. The tempo for this one has to be really high.

All in all, an enjoyable listen to three jazz legends. Dave Holland in particular, is one of my favorite jazz artists of all time. He's been on so many great albums.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Question and Answer (1990)
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »
I like this one a lot, too.  There's something "pure" about a jazz trio, just a guitar (or piano) with bass and drums.  Everybody has lot of space, lot of freedom.

Pat Metheny Group tends to have a bigger, fuller sound, largely because of Lyle Mays on keys.  Here Pat is much more exposed, and you get to hear how he fills his space.  I think it helps that the overall feel is much more chill, but they do get cooking a few times.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Parallel Realities (1990)
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2021, 06:05:43 PM »
NEW MUSIC coming from Pat, this September.
https://twitter.com/PatMetheny/status/1414987159958958082

Pat Metheny
@PatMetheny
Pat Metheny Announces Side-Eye NYC (V1.IV) 
Due Out September 10th

An Exciting New Release Featuring The 20-Time Grammy Winner With New Young Stars. Extensive World Tour Dates Unveiled.

Pre-Order Now: https://stores.portmerch.com/patmetheny/pre-order-side-eye-nyc-v1-iv.html

Jack DeJohnette - Parallel Realities (1990)
with Pat Metheny and Herbie Hancock

Despite being a Jack DeJohnette album, this album is really a Pat Metheny album in disguise. This isn't post-bop either, Pat is in PMG-mode on this one, all his effects are on here, and even Jack on the drums is messing with different things, like playing keyboard bass while also playing drums, and the drums sound like they've got some pads on there. Pat also wrote more than half the music for this album (the rest written by DeJohnette) so at the very least it is a Pat and Jack collaboration...
but then we have Herbie Hancock on keys and piano to round things out, so what a line up this is. While he didn't write any of the music, his presence is also felt greatly on this album and provides great textures along with signature piano solos. I really like hearing Pat with a pianist the most, I feel like the matchup just works every time, whether backed by (especially) Lyle Mays, Herbie Hancock, Brad Mehldau, or any of the young talent he's been working with in recent years. He always has great chemistry with keyboardists and pianists.

The music fits right in with other albums by Pat and friends of the same era, though each one has their own identity, this one is a little more abstract at times, while incorporating Brazilian and Caribbean sounds, making for some ethereal aural passages. Pat's guitar dominates the proceedings, taking lead often, providing each tune's main themes and melodies. Considering some of this music was written by the drummer, it doesn't sound like it. Jack DeJohnette does play piano, and has released albums of his piano playing, so this isn't too surprising, and Jack is a very 'musical' drummer, he tunes his toms to specific pitches.

A sometimes forgotten album in the canon of Pat Metheny, but a highlight of Jack DeJohnette's huge discography.

There was a live video put out called "Parallel Realities Live" released in 1991, I think, and featured Dave Holland on bass, and if you can track it down, you should, it's sometimes an even better performance than the studio album, features new compositions and few old songs by Jack, Pat, and Herbie as well.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
Cool that this is still going. I actually went through a pretty heavy Pat Metheny phase last year while in Jazz college. Went through pretty much every album I could find that he was involved in. I couldn’t get into the DeJohnette album. To me it sounded like a typical Jazz album with a drummer as the leader where the compositions aren’t quite there and I just can’t do the 90s reverb and electronic sounds. I hear the PMG connection and I love that stuff, but for some reason it sounds really cheesy and dated here which is something that PMG always avoided IMO.

Going back though, Question & Answer is awesome! By far one of my favorite Pat albums. He was in true renaissance mode at that time, showing off his more bebop oriented Jazz chops in a way that he wasn’t really doing in the 70s and 80s. Pat is one of the few musicians who actually thrived in the late 80s and into the 90s while a lot of Jazz musicians really struggled. He positioned himself really well as not just a Jazz great from the fusion era, but someone who fit right in with some of the new up and comers in the next couple decades like Melhdau, Joshua Redman, and Chris Potter. I get the impression that he’s actually trying to do a similar thing now working with sidemen who are much younger and have less exposure.

I love the trio sound, the mix of standards and original tunes, and it has some of the best playing chemistry of any Pat album. Really nice warm production too that, in stark contrast to the DeJohnette album, doesn’t date itself. The song Question and Answer is an all time Pat Metheny favorite (it also has a nice little nod to Coltrane’s Giant Steps matrix in the bridge).

I should probably clarify that I actually really like Jack DeJohnette’s playing. He is an explosive drummer. He did some amazing work with Miles and even Pat on 80/81. He’s also done some really good work recently, including an album with John Scofield, John Medeski, and Larry Grenadier called Hudson which I think a lot of folks here would enjoy.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline darkshade

« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2021, 05:39:47 AM »
I get not liking the late 80s/early 90s aesthetic found on Parallel Realities, but for me that adds to the charm, especially with how different it is compared to other Jack DeJohnette albums. However, there are better DeJohnette performances out there, like any ECM album he's appeared on, any of the Keith Jarrett Trio albums with Gary Peacock, and of course his work with Miles Davis, John Abercrombie, and Charles Lloyd, among others, but Jack has released worse albums than this.

Mosh, have you heard or watched Parallel Realities Live? It mostly drops all the things you don't like about the studio album, with an actual bassist (Holland) as part of the performances. Pat still has all his effects but overall it feels more like an organic jazz album.

Another album from this time period, Live Montreal '89, this is a radio broadcast release that came out recently, but might already be out of print. I don't think it's an official Pat Metheny album either, but I scooped it up the moment I saw it, the sound quality is mostly excellent throughout. More in line with the Question and Answer, and Rejoicing albums. This has some fire performances from Jack.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:45:12 AM by darkshade »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2021, 09:05:04 AM »
I just got done listening to Questions and Answer and it's probably my new favorite Pat album (aside from one we'll get to later). This album is the most consistent to me. Previous albums usually have some tracks I love, some I like, and some I really don't care for where with Q&A I enjoy it all the way through. There are a few stand out's to me, namely the title track, "Change Of Heart" and "Three Flights Up". All around great album. I love the sound of this trio personally.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2021, 04:54:34 AM »
I just got done listening to Questions and Answer and it's probably my new favorite Pat album (aside from one we'll get to later). This album is the most consistent to me. Previous albums usually have some tracks I love, some I like, and some I really don't care for where with Q&A I enjoy it all the way through. There are a few stand out's to me, namely the title track, "Change Of Heart" and "Three Flights Up". All around great album. I love the sound of this trio personally.

There's definitely no curve ball tracks on that album, like on Offramp, or Rejoicing, for example. The sound is fantastic, the playing is top notch. One of the best sounding jazz albums IMO, and one of my favorite jazz albums ever, not just by Pat.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Secret Story (1992)
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2021, 12:15:39 PM »
Pat Metheny - Secret Story (1992)

Secret Story marks both the end of an era for Pat, and the beginning of a new era.

This is the final album of a stretch that began in 1980, with the Witchita Falls album with Lyle Mays, and the exclamation point of the late 80s/early 90s-era Pat Metheny Group, even if this isn't a PMG album proper. Every then-current and almost every former PMG member is on this album, along with a few other musicians, some of which Pat had worked with prior. There are some call backs to then-recent PMG albums, even the cover art is similar to the last bunch of Pat albums. This is also the end of the South American influenced era as well, while there's a little of it here, this album sees Pat revisiting some of that pastoral mid-Western sound he championed in the 70s, mixed with all these other exotic sounds previously unheard on a Pat album. The Brazilian/Caribbean stuff would appear very little after this album.

This is also the beginning of Pat's music becoming more progressive, more expansive, creating a really BIG sound. This album in particular achieves that in spades. For one, Pat's clean guitar tone is updated, to the sound he still currently uses to this day (except for most of his albums released in the 2010s, which his clean tone sounds more hollow) It is a fuller sound, very warm, much more mid-range than previous tones. While Pat's music has always been forward thinking, the music here is much more challenging than most of what came before. This is also helped by the use of the London Symphony Orchestra featured on most of the album, as well as a variety of different sounds and instruments throughout. The production is also leaps ahead of the late 80s production previous albums had, though some of the drums here still have that early 90s sound.

The music itself is more dense, complex, but not for the sake of it... While the music is generally more progressive, it is also the most melodic, heartfelt, and sincere, than any Pat album before or since. It also seems to be a summation of everything up til that point, while also looking ahead to what may/will come next. The overall mood is very captivating, each track has its own identity. The melodies are heart-wrenching.

Finding and Believing may be the most 'prog' tune here, very enjoyable piece. So many intricate things going on. Some of the music here gets pretty dark, something rarely heard on a Pat or PMG album. Rain River is more mysterious sounding. The orchestra's playing is sublime, and gives me chills whenever I listen to this album. A few tunes like Facing West and See The World are reminiscent of PMG, but they are the exceptions here. Tunes like Always And Forever has some of Pat's best acoustic guitar playing, foreshadowing some of the solo acoustic stuff he'd release later. Some of the other tunes are pretty, if not straight up orchestral, and some feel like transitional pieces, meant to prepare the listener for what is coming up next. Pat's playing is phenomenal, it's like he was trying to prove how much better he could play even after all the music he'd released up til this point.

The last four songs on the album, however, may be the saddest music Pat ever conceived. This final stretch of the album never fails to give me a lump in my throat and make my eyes well up. I don't think I can hold back tears by the time we get to Tell Her You Saw Me, if not sooner. This album leaves a huge emotional impact on me every time I listen to the whole thing, especially these final four tunes. The Truth Will Always Be is literally the climax of the entire album. This is one reason I think this is Pat's best album, because the album leads up to these final four songs, as there is a darker/sadder vibe throughout the album, and the last four tunes give the biggest hints to what the album is about. Whatever it is, it is a sad ending, as the final track Not To Be Forgotten (Our Final Hour) is a real sad tune. There is pretty much no other album or song I can think of that consistently makes me cry each and every time I listen to it, which makes it difficult to put on more casually like I do with other albums by Pat, Lyle, PMG, etc...

You may be wondering, "so what's the secret story on Secret Story?" I'm not sure, but it seems like it's something personal to Pat, but maybe something directed as people in general. As mentioned before, the song titles, I think, give us some hints, but the cover art also possibly gives us some hints, many of them in fact. Either way, the music is instrumental, and the beauty of that is you can make it whatever you want it to be.

P.S. - If you didn't know, the album was re-released in 2007, with a remastered sound (aka LOUDER) and I think the original recording is superior. The remastered version does come with a bonus disc, featuring 5 unreleased tunes. 3 of them definitely come off as filler tracks, but the first and last track on the bonus disc are good Pat tunes, and the last track, while still sad sounding, is more upbeat in a way, and could have been the actual last track on the album, which would have ended the album on a more positive note. I generally listen to the bonus disc after because I like it ending that way, plus more music, but as is without the bonus disc, the album is just about perfect.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:52:09 PM by darkshade »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2021, 03:55:11 PM »
Bueller? Bueller?? This is one of Pat's best albums.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Awesome, detailed write-up. Again this is an album I've never heard before but I'll take a listen tomorrow morning. I'm interested to hear what the end of an era sounds like and what the start of a new era is like with the next album.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2021, 07:57:19 AM »
Just got done with Secret Story. This album was a real journey. I listened to the album on Spotify which was the remaster as it had the additional 5 tracks at the end. The orchestration and production on this album were the first things to really stand out to me. It sounds rich, full, and all around incredible. I'll have to check out the original release to compare how it sounds.

The highlight was definitely the final handful of songs on the album. Tell Her You Saw Me might be in the top 5 Pat songs for me so far. I think the additional tracks were also a real treat. To me they didn't really feel tacked on like other artists will do bonus tracks, I just wish I knew how they would've been added to the album track listing. Back in Time was the highlight from the additional tracks.

I think my only real negative on this album was that Chilean pipe sound I complained about a few albums ago, never really dug the tone of whatever patch that seems to be just really kills the vibe for me. I'm eager to see what the albums sound like moving forward.

Also I really enjoy following along to this thread so thank you for putting the time into it darkshade! I enjoy going through artist discographies but it's an added bonus when you have someone familiar walking you through.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it for the most part. Yes, some of his best work is on this album. That Chilean pipe sound doesn't appear much after this album.
Not sure where the bonus tracks would fit on the main album, but the last song definitely feels like the true final track. Back In Time sounds like it would be after the first few songs, and the middle tunes would also fit before the last 4 songs on the album proper.
Thanks for following along.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: The Road To You (1993)
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
Pat Metheny Group - The Road To You (1993)

Recorded in 1991 during the Letter From Home tour, with some overdubs (I assume there's overdubs, based on some bootlegs I've listened to, so not 100% confirmed, but the overdubs are very minimal, what you hear is essentially what they played live) and mixing done in 1993, this is, in my opinion, one of the Group's finest recordings. The production is top notch, easily one of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard from any band or artist. It could have been recorded yesterday. The playing is also top notch, some of Pat's best solos here, Lyle is in top shape, and everyone else sounds really good as well.

This is one of the earliest Pat Metheny albums I checked out, and I've always been a fan of this album from the moment the band kicks in on the opening track Have You Heard, from Letter From Home, which is even more exhilarating that the studio version. Pedro Aznar provides great singing on this rendition of First Circle, which I find is superior to the studio version as well. Lyle plays possibly his best piano solo on this track. Great, great stuff. From there we get to the album's first 'new' song, the title track. Mostly a guitar led piece, Pat is backed up by the rest of the band, their playing is very subtle here.

The next track is also an unreleased piece, the 15+ minute Half Life Of Absolution. This is a prog-jazz monster piece, with a haunting bassline, screaming melodies, and some of the best playing by the Group, they even get a little heavy, and Pat is wailing on the distorted guitar at times. We then get a couple more tracks from Letter From Home, neither are better or worse than their studio counterparts. Next is another unreleased piece Naked Moon. This tune dates back to the early 80s PMG tours, but never got released until this album. A nice jazz-ballad of sorts, with classic Metheny melodies.

We then get another duo of tracks from Letter From Home, which are, again, no better than the studio counterparts, but sound really good in this setting. We then get to Third Wind from Still Life (Talking). While I think the studio version is amazing, this live versions is even more energetic. The percussion is pounding, and Pat's playing like he's got fire in his belly. A good way to close out the live portion of the album. Yes, live portion, as the album closes with a studio cut called Solo from More Travels, a solo guitar piece that is featured on the live video "More Travels" which came out around the same time as this album. A nice, somewhat somber piece.

As I said, this is one of the band's best albums IMO, and one of my all time favorites. This would be the only other live album from PMG, aside from 1983's Travels. They did release a bunch of live videos and DVDs over the years, just with no audio-only release alongside. This is unfortunate, because a band like this, you want to explore more live stuff, since they improvise and also mix up the song arrangements at times. I don't always want to sit and watch, but I can always listen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: The Road To You (1993)
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2021, 09:16:26 PM »
Wonderful Live Record. Half Life Absolution  :tup

Offline darkshade

Going to pick up the pace a little.

John Scofield & Pat Metheny - I Can See Your House From Here (1994)

More of a John Scofield album than a Pat Metheny album, while the two do share co-billing, with Pat writing half the tunes here, and both guitarists have equal time for solos and shared leads, this is basically Scofield's band, featuring Pat. This also sounds more like Scofield's albums from the same period. The music here is mostly relaxed contemporary post-bop, with a funky edge, which basically describes much of Scofield's music from this era. Pat is teamed up with ex-Gary Burton band mate, bassist Steve Swallow, as well as drummer Bill Stewart, who would go on to play on many Scofield albums. Pat brings his Synclavier synth guitar and other effects, as well as his new updated clean playing, and compliments Sco's bluesier, more rough-around-the-edges sound and style of playing.

My favorite tunes here are The Red One, Message To My Friend, No Way Jose, and S.C.O. Everything else is solid but those are the strongest cuts for me. The pairing of arguably two of the most popular jazz/fusion guitarists of the 80s and 90s is is definitely something that sounds great on paper. Although I am a big Scofield fan, this is not among my favorite albums of his. Same with Metheny. While this is a good jazz album, and everyone plays great, I just find both guitarists put out much better stuff than this, overall. I feel like the results could have been better, one of those things where your expectations before first hearing an album were not met; and though I warmed up to the album over time, that 'sting' never leaves. Having later heard a live bootleg from these guys from '94, the band sounds livelier than in the studio. I would have loved to hear Pat on, say, Sco's "Überjam" album, as I feel that would have been a great context for him to play in. However, this is the only official album the two have ever released.

Offline SoundscapeMN

sadly, another album I've never heard.

I know John Scofield, saw him with Karl Denson? I recall once, and I recall also seeing Dean Magraw and Jim Anton open for him in Minneapolis in 2002. I know this especially given that was the 1st time I ever saw or heard Dean.

But I have somewhere the Uberjam album I recall, but haven't listened to it in ages.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
sadly, another album I've never heard.

I know John Scofield, saw him with Karl Denson? I recall once, and I recall also seeing Dean Magraw and Jim Anton open for him in Minneapolis in 2002. I know this especially given that was the 1st time I ever saw or heard Dean.

But I have somewhere the Uberjam album I recall, but haven't listened to it in ages.
I like Überjam quite a bit, but my alltime favourite Scofield album is Still Warm. Very well worth listening to.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline darkshade

Scofield did some fire fusion in the 80s, Still Warm is one of them, Loud Jazz is another favorite.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Points of View (1994)
« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
Nando Lauria - Points of View (1994)

Nando Lauria is a Brazilian guitarist who hooked up with the Pat Metheny Group and played live with them for a bunch of concerts in the late 80s. He eventually released his first solo album Points of View, which features Lyle Mays and former PMG drummer Danny Gottlieb on drums and percussion. The music here is very, very reminiscent of Pat Metheny Group's late 80s albums. Lots of Brazilian folk, upbeat styled music. Great rhythmic guitar throughout. This is a great album if you really enjoy Still Life (Talking) and Letter From Home. It's a bit like diet-Pat Metheny Group, as the music does not go into more psychedelic or pastoral directions. However, while Pat is not present, Lyle is, and provides some great piano on the tracks he's on. Nando provides the vocals here as well. There are more vocals here than the PMG albums, and a lot of other sounds, like flute, accordion, here and provide a lot of color.

He only released one other album, Novo Brasil in 1996, which is similar in style to Points of View, Brazilian folk jazz. No PMG members on this one.

Both albums were re-released on one compilation album, as the two individual albums are out of print.
Novo Brasil is presented first, followed by Points of View.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Zero Tolerance For Silence (1994)
« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2021, 08:36:28 AM »
Pat Metheny - Zero Tolerance For Silence (1994)

Is it the heaviest metal jazz ever created?

or

Is it the sound you hear when entering a Guitar Center?

You decide...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »
Wow, I've never heard this one.  Never heard of this one!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2021, 07:48:15 AM »
color me intrigued, I'm going to listen to this afternoon.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
Curious to read your reactions. Personally, this is not an album I've listened to more than once or twice, because of how dissonant and noisy it is.

St. Anger is a masterpiece of music compared to ZTFS. Some call the CD the greatest coaster for your coffee table.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2021, 02:10:59 PM »
What. The. Fuck. I'm not going to lie I didn't listen to this one all the way through. I skipped around usually a few minutes after getting into each track. I think  "the sound when entering guitar center" is the perfect description of this album. I think the best part of this album was the youtube comments. "This album really puts the meth in Metheny" had me laughing pretty hard. What the hell was his motivation to do this album?

Offline darkshade

I've read somewhere that this period of time for Pat was tough period of time for him, personally and emotionally, like around '92-'94. It helps explain why the music in this era is a bit more unorthodox to what came before, and reason for the extreme mood changes from album to album. The music released in this period ranges from either deeply sad (Secret Story), to aggressively angry (ZTFS).

There is an album Pat was featured on from Gary Thomas. Till We Have Faces (1992)

Pat is on electric distorted guitar for the entire album, and the music itself is very aggressive jazz. Not free jazz or anything. Just very 'angry' sounding jazz. It's 100 times more musical than ZTFS, which was thankfully a one-off. Pat actually did a lot of guest and session work during this time and appeared on albums by Joshua Redman, Roy Haynes, Bruce Hornsby, and Kenny Garrett, and I highly recommend checking those albums out if you enjoy Pat's work. It's all listed under his name on wikipedia.

--------------------------------

Something else that came out from this time is a bit more in line from what we expect from Pat and friends.

Noa - Noa (1994)

What would Pat Metheny Group sound like if it were a pop band? This album, I guess. Achinoam Nini, known as "Noa", is an Israeli singer-songwriter, and percussionist. Her debut album utilizes the musicianship of Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Steve Rodby, Danny Gottlieb, as well as some musicians who were on Secret Story. This album was produced by Pat and Steve, so it has that PMG feel to it, not to mention Lyle's keyboards dominate, many of his classic tones are heard throughout the album. Noa is a nice singer, it's not my thing, but I can appreciate it. She has that 1994 alt. rock/pop sound in her voice. It's interesting to hear this quasi-PMG album with a full time lead singer, as opposed to PMG teasing that kind of thing with their last 2 studio albums up til this point. Some of this makes me think of some Disney music from the early 90s movies like The Little Mermaid or Aladdin. Pat himself apparently provides some backup vocals, but I don't hear it. Unfortunately, he didn't provide any solos, I believe Gil Dor provides most of the guitar, but Lyle, Steve, and Danny are very much present.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 03:14:18 PM by darkshade »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome write-ups, will check those out tomorrow. I'm interested in what 'angry' Jazz sounds like.

Offline darkshade

Awesome write-ups, will check those out tomorrow. I'm interested in what 'angry' Jazz sounds like.

The Noa album is easy to look up, it's on streaming sites, but the Gary Thomas one might not be as easy to find, so here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1b_-h6sIzw

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
The Pat Metheny/Scofield album is awesome, although quite long. I like to listen to individual tracks from it more than just playing the whole album. It’s interesting to hear Pat kinda match Scofield’s tone, it’s a little grittier than usual. They complement each other really well and I feel that Sco forced Pat out of some of his usual playing boxes.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline darkshade

Pat Metheny Group - We Live Here (1995)

Pat Metheny Group's first full studio release since 1989's Letter From Home. Immediately, we can hear this is not a repeat of that album or Still Life (Talking). This is a progression into more contemporary (for 1995) pop rhythms, some may even go so far to call this "smooth jazz", but while the production values on this album are quite slick, even for PMG, and the drum patterns (at first glance) seem more simplified, this is an illusion. There is plenty to enjoy that we've come to expect from the Group. Complex music that sounds accessible and catchy. The centerpiece of this album, the 12 minute "To The End Of The World" exemplifies this. A mysterious groove, almost 90s hip-hop sounding, with a haunting melody. This is one of Pat's best guitar solos throughout his vast discography. It's so powerful, how it builds up to it with Lyle's beautiful piano solo that precedes it.

The album art continues the collage style of album art that had been on most Pat and PMG albums since 1987, but this would be the last album with that type of album art for a while.

There are still small hints of Brazilian music here, mostly in the percussion and vocals, but it is overshadowed by the overall pop/r&b sound that this album has. This album is 100% more creative than any actual "smooth jazz" that's out there. This is more of an experiment that the band took on, to see what they could do with updated recording technology that the 90s offered, plus trying new things. I think overall, this album is a great success, and a natural progression from what the band was doing in the 80s and early 90s, without going backwards. To me, this is also the band's most 'fun' album, things don't get too serious, and the mood is very light and bouncy. There are, of course, many beautiful passages, and some of the Group's strongest melodies.

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Quartet (1996)
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
Pat Metheny Group - Quartet (1996)

For the first time since 1979's American Garage, Pat Metheny Group is presented as a ***spoiler alert*** quartet.

No singers, no extra percussionists.

It's just Metheny, Mays, Rodby, and Wertico on this album, guitar, piano, bass, and drums, and mostly acoustic instruments from the four as well (though Pat plays clean electric guitar most of the time, and Lyle does play some keyboards here and there). This music is in stark contrast to the previous album, We Live Here, which was more 'electronic', more upbeat, and more pop and hip-hop influenced.

On this album, most tracks are more loosely composed, and consist mainly of improvisations from the band. The sound is the jazziest the Group has ever been on a studio album, as we hear right off the bat on the intro track simply titled "Introduction". There is little fusion here, almost no rock rhythms, and gone are the South American influences aside from a couple of fleeting moments. Instead, besides an uptick in contemporary American jazz sounds, we hear more Eastern influences, as well as Pat's 42-string Picasso Guitar, which had been featured on Secret Story and I Can See Your House From Here. This gives the music a more surreal, ethereal sound, as well as a darker edge overall.

This is probably my least favorite of all the PMG studio albums, mostly because there are few real tunes here, as mentioned before, much of the music here is improvised. The more composed stuff like As I Am (no relation to the Dream Theater song) or Sometimes I See, are also more dense that the usual PMG fare, so it can be hard to get into. However, this album is still an enjoyable listen, it is intriguing to hear these guys play this type of stuff, and the band goes in directions never heard again after this, like on the tracks Dismantling Uptopia or Mojave, with their strange and unorthodox playing. Tunes like the desolate sounding "Badland" make me picture the scene in the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 1990, when we first see The Shredder appear and give his speech to his minions. If you've watched the movie, you know what I'm talking about, the music on Badland is very similar to the music in that scene. We still get some classic PMG tunes here as well, like on When We Were Free, and Language of Time, the former becoming a live staple of Pat's live shows outside of the Group, though none of the tracks here were performed live by the actual Pat Metheny Group as far as I am aware.

Possibly the black sheep of all the Pat Metheny Group albums, as this seems like the least discussed PMG album across the internet and beyond.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Quartet (1996)
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2021, 06:55:58 AM »
Going to do some yardwork and catch up today...

Offline darkshade

Re: The Pat Metheny Discography Thread: Passaggio per il Paradiso (1996)
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »
Pat Metheny - Passaggio per il Paradiso (1996)

The soundtrack for a movie of the same name, this sounds a bit like a sequel to Secret Story, in that it's very moody, orchestral at times, and overall sad. However, unlike Secret Story, Pat plays all instruments here, some instruments besides his guitar sound like they may have been played through a keyboard or synthesizer. I'm not sure. Though there are many tracks with many titles, they mainly go back and forth between two main themes of the album (Title theme, and Marta's theme) with one detour towards the end (Renato's Theme)

The music sounds like it could have been part of a Pat Metheny Group album, but it's repetitiveness keeps it from being as good as any Pat or PMG album. The 2nd to last track Finale (It's Always Worth The Trouble) is a summation of all the themes, with a big payoff at the end, which is the best part of the album. However, I find the music tedious to get through most of the time, and could have benefited from more variety, so I don't think it's worth listening to mostly two themes repeated over and over for ~35 minutes just to get to that track. Definitely an album to check out if you've heard everything by Pat and need more, but it isn't essential listening. Pat would record a better soundtrack album a few years later. Not sure if this is available out there online to casually listen to...