Author Topic: The Shattered Fortress Roll Call!  (Read 21763 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Shattered Fortress Roll Call!
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Eh, if someone wants to call it a cover band, that's fine with me. I mean, it's more facetiously than anything. But in reality it's MP and 4 other dudes, none of whom I've ever heard of, playing DT tunes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »
Eh, if someone wants to call it a cover band, that's fine with me. I mean, it's more facetiously than anything. But in reality it's MP and 4 other dudes, none of whom I've ever heard of, playing DT tunes.
Haken is his band and they are AWESOME! Check them out, you'll dig them.
Eric Gillette is also in the lineup, and he is the red hot guitarist from The Neal Morse band, and he is an amazing vocalist

As far as labeling this show as anything, I couldn't care less. Its a rock and roll show with musicians I love playing music I love. Calling it whatever is inconsequential to me.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
Its a rock and roll show with musicians I love playing music I love. Calling it whatever is inconsequential to me.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean people won't put a label on this.  So it is what it is.  Just enjoy it, and I'm sure we all will.  :metal

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
Its a rock and roll show with musicians I love playing music I love. Calling it whatever is inconsequential to me.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean people won't put a label on this.  So it is what it is.  Just enjoy it, and I'm sure we all will.  :metal
You are correct, people will put a label on it. I'm just saying I simply see it as a Mike Portnoy show with kick ass special guests. I think this show is going to be a blast and a diversion from work and stress, so I'll just label it as a great night out in the big city to decompress.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
Also, I know this isn't a case for everyone, but it is a one time experience so just got to soak that in.  I've only seen MP once since the split (with Winery Dogs) so it'll be kind of nice to see him doing DT again, hopefully he is having a blast doing so.  Plus the rest of the band are fantastic musicians as stated.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2017, 07:14:27 AM »
Not trying to be dismissive but it is a band playing another band's songs so not sure how you can call this anything but a covers band.  OK it has one former member of that band (the drummer, not the singer or even one of the soloists) who was the mastermind of the songs lyrically but he has put together a band to do cover versions of the songs live.  Transatlantic and LTE were side projects playing original material, this is not that.  If this turned into a real side project playing new material then I would be very interested to hear what they came up with as they are talented guys.

I'm sure Mike would like to see this as something like Roger Waters going out playing Pink Floyd stuff with a new band or even Mark Knopfler playing Dire Straits stuff but Mike was not Roger Waters or Mark Knopfler in Dream Theater.  He was more than "just" the drummer clearly but he was not the voice of the DT nor did he write the huge majority of the songs on his own.

Again, I have no problem with him doing it and hope the shows go well as these songs mean a lot to him and I'm sure to some others who've been through similar experiences with drug and alcohol abuse.  It's just not something I'd want to see live, even if it was the real band playing the songs, and it makes it easier to say no when it is not DT themselves.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Not trying to be dismissive but it is a band playing another band's songs so not sure how you can call this anything but a covers band.  OK it has one former member of that band (the drummer, not the singer or even one of the soloists) who was the mastermind of the songs lyrically but he has put together a band to do cover versions of the songs live.  Transatlantic and LTE were side projects playing original material, this is not that.  If this turned into a real side project playing new material then I would be very interested to hear what they came up with as they are talented guys.

I'm sure Mike would like to see this as something like Roger Waters going out playing Pink Floyd stuff with a new band or even Mark Knopfler playing Dire Straits stuff but Mike was not Roger Waters or Mark Knopfler in Dream Theater.  He was more than "just" the drummer clearly but he was not the voice of the DT nor did he write the huge majority of the songs on his own.

Again, I have no problem with him doing it and hope the shows go well as these songs mean a lot to him and I'm sure to some others who've been through similar experiences with drug and alcohol abuse.  It's just not something I'd want to see live, even if it was the real band playing the songs, and it makes it easier to say no when it is not DT themselves.

You'll probably get some push back from a couple people about this post, but FWIW, I totally agree with every single word.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »

You'll probably get some push back from a couple people about this post, but FWIW, I totally agree with every single word.

Yep, very well said. :tup :tup

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:04 AM »
I will be travelling to Malmö in about a month to see this.... definitely excited about it

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »
This thread was started for those who like the idea of this show, and those attending to create meetups. It wasn't to label it, or say its a cover band I have no interest in attending. Who cares if its a Mike project, a cover band, or Haken playing Dream Theater.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
In case of anyone here that is curious about what it will be played or not in the rest of the set...
SPOILER ALERT:

https://www.metaltalk.net/columns_seventeen/andy_rawll_mike_portnoy_shattered_fortress.php
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »
In case of anyone here that is curious about what it will be played or not in the rest of the set...
SPOILER ALERT:

https://www.metaltalk.net/columns_seventeen/andy_rawll_mike_portnoy_shattered_fortress.php
Damn. I'm glad I read that before finalizing a trip to Mexico to see it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 06:29:49 AM »
If he wants to play ACOS, he should.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:09 AM »
If he wants to play ACOS, he should.

I have already heard it twice this year but would gladly  hear it a third time when attending Shattered Fortress on the 2nd of July in Malmö.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 07:22:32 AM »
Why would it "break his heart" to hear that DT was playing ACOS on this current tour? It's a DT song...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Why would it "break his heart" to hear that DT was playing ACOS on this current tour? It's a DT song...
I kind of simultaneously get it and agree with him while also agreeing with you.  At its core, yeah, it's a DT song, and it's something they've played a bunch, and it's a fan favorite.  It makes sense for them to play it, and there's no reason why they shouldn't.  But I think that where Mike is coming from is that it is a very personal song for him as well, and it just doesn't feel right for them to be playing it without him.  I get that.  I don't agree that they shouldn't play it, but I get it.  And that said, I get that he also feels it would be odd for both bands to be playing it at the same time, but I disagree with his decision to pull it from his set for that reason.  If he wants to play it, he should play it.  But on the other hand, there is plenty of material to choose from, and an epic that long after the 12SS would be exhausting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
I kind of simultaneously get it and agree with him while also agreeing with you.  At its core, yeah, it's a DT song, and it's something they've played a bunch, and it's a fan favorite.  It makes sense for them to play it, and there's no reason why they shouldn't.  But I think that where Mike is coming from is that it is a very personal song for him as well, and it just doesn't feel right for them to be playing it without him.  I get that.  I don't agree that they shouldn't play it, but I get it.  And that said, I get that he also feels it would be odd for both bands to be playing it at the same time, but I disagree with his decision to pull it from his set for that reason.  If he wants to play it, he should play it.  But on the other hand, there is plenty of material to choose from, and an epic that long after the 12SS would be exhausting.

I'm with you. I guess the comment just caused me to pause because I figured MP would have come to terms with this sort of thing years ago. The band is going to play songs he wrote lyrics to, even songs with lyrics he considers very personal. That's part of the repercussions of his actions. I mean, when he left all this stuff got sorted out, so I'd get it if Mike just left like last year and this was the band's first major tour since his departure and they chose to play ACOS. But it's been, what almost 7 years since he left?

I'm totally with you that he shouldn't not play it because they are. If he wants to play it, go for it.

Online Mladen

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 02:23:42 AM »
That was a very balanced comment from MP. Of course, he should play whatever he wants to play, but I get him not wanting to end his shows the same way DT currently does.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
This was the discussion that made Mike shut down any DT related thread on his forum and ban any new threads being set up.  I thought at the time it was because he was pissed that DT would do this when he was probably intending to play it on his tour.

My own feeling is this it totally makes sense and is apt for DT to play ACOS on this tour more than any other.  I also get why Mike may not want them to play this song without him but, if that's the case, he should have negotiated this in his exit agreement as Tate did with Mindcrime. Otherwise he cannot expect DT to ignore what most fans consider to be their greatest ever song for the rest of their career.

I don't think it would be right for DT to play Best Of Times without Mike and I don't think they will as those lyrics are very personal to Mike's relationship with his father and it was written for him and played to him before he died.  ACOS is far more universal though, about life and death in general, so much so that I never realised that it was about the death of Mike's mother until years later when I read it somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I would love Mike to be up there with DT playing ACOS himself and there was a tinge of sadness when I saw it on the tour but it was still awesome to see it again after all these years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
^Yeah, I agree with all of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
Looks like MP has said that this round of SF shows will be the last time he revisits DT material.

https://loudwire.com/mike-portnoy-wont-revisit-dream-theater-shattered-fortress-closure/

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »
I'm curious to know what that means. For certain, it wouldn't be like he'd put together a band just to play only DT material. But, does that also mean that none of his bands/projects will never ever again include a DT song in their set (like what was done on the first tours for both Flying Colors and Transatlantic)? If this new band with Derek is prog-metal, I can't imagine them not at least including a bit of ACoS and/or something from FII in the setlist of the first tour to help fill it out.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2017, 05:54:11 PM »
Looks like MP has said that this round of SF shows will be the last time he revisits DT material.

https://loudwire.com/mike-portnoy-wont-revisit-dream-theater-shattered-fortress-closure/

Not buying it.  This is actually a smart move on his part.  He knows that anything remotely interesting and/or controversial he says spreads like wildfire through the 'net, so now the buzz will be "Come see MP play DT songs for the last time!"  Which could potentially boost ticket sales a bit.  A very calculated, shrewd move.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
  If this new band with Derek is prog-metal, I can't imagine them not at least including a bit of ACoS and/or something from FII in the setlist of the first tour to help fill it out.
Exactly. Neither can I.

Not buying it.  This is actually a smart move on his part.  He knows that anything remotely interesting and/or controversial he says spreads like wildfire through the 'net, so now the buzz will be "Come see MP play DT songs for the last time!"  Which could potentially boost ticket sales a bit.  A very calculated, shrewd move.

Maybe. Not sure that's it though. He just seems like a guy that "thinks out loud".

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
I'm curious to know what that means. For certain, it wouldn't be like he'd put together a band just to play only DT material. But, does that also mean that none of his bands/projects will never ever again include a DT song in their set (like what was done on the first tours for both Flying Colors and Transatlantic)? If this new band with Derek is prog-metal, I can't imagine them not at least including a bit of ACoS and/or something from FII in the setlist of the first tour to help fill it out.

I was assuming he meant this was the last time he would put together a group to specifically play DT material. I also assumed that he would still be willing to cover a DT song here or there with the other projects you mentioned.

All just my assumptions though.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 02:11:47 AM »

I was assuming he meant this was the last time he would put together a group to specifically play DT material. I also assumed that he would still be willing to cover a DT song here or there with the other projects you mentioned.

All just my assumptions though.

This is what I'm thinking too...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 01:15:41 AM »

I don't think it would be right for DT to play Best Of Times without Mike and I don't think they will as those lyrics are very personal to Mike's relationship with his father and it was written for him and played to him before he died.  ACOS is far more universal though, about life and death in general, so much so that I never realised that it was about the death of Mike's mother until years later when I read it somewhere.

This was exactly my experience.  I just thought it was a beautifully written song about experiencing loss but had no idea it was specifically about his mother until I read about it. 

I get how he may feel about it but if it is such an emotional song, why did DT play the Simpsons theme and the baseball game "Charge!" melody during the SFAM tour.  I mean, I can't listen to that version because it seems so cheap in an otherwise deeply moving song.

TBOT is much different lyrically though.  It is very blunt with very specific memories and recollections.  That would be pretty awkward for DT to do and for that reason I doubt they'll ever do it.  Instrumentally though or as an excerpt here or there if they ever do a medley is totally kosher as far as I'm concerned. 

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2017, 12:56:12 AM »
Anyone attending tonight's show? I'm excited as hell and I would like to get the setlist and pic from the merchandising.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline ReinoudW

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »
Anyone attending tonight's show? I'm excited as hell and I would like to get the setlist and pic from the merchandising.
The setlist is here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mike-portnoys-shattered-fortress/2017/koko-london-england-53e4cbed.html. I am excited to see the show next week in Holland, but given MP's normal creativity and making sure people hear new things, I would have expected a more varied setlist. Except for Home the SFAM + Awake stuff is exactly what DT played on their 2014 tour. Oh well, I am sure it will be agreat show anyway.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »
Set list is decent even allowing for the fact that I personally wouldn't be that desperate to see the 12 Step Suite.  For those who do like that stuff that's a good set.  Reactions on twitter seem really positive (although I'm only seeing MP's retweets so they would be!) no reason to think this isn't reflective though.  Glad the show went well and people are enjoying it.  According to setlist site, there are 3 guitar players, if that's right that's awesome that they need 3 players to replace JP, he really must be a beast!

Offline NeilWatson

• Voices UK Founding 50 Member
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 07:11:58 AM »
It was an excellent show. Seven musicians, Eric Gillette took most of the lead guitar and could (in my opinion) have carried it on his own - he is quite superb, and sings well too. The keyboard player was excellent. The vocalist was excellent too, could easily front DT.....

As this was the first night, there's no guarantee Mike won't shake the set up a bit?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 07:15:28 AM »
I would say it's a slight possibility, but given that all the rest of the musicians needed to learn these songs, it may be asking much to ask them to learn even more songs.  So my guess is no rotation. 

Also, tickets are still available for NYC, if you are on the fence about going, check out some videos maybe you'll change your mind.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
Click on the thread thinking it's people planning a meetup and instead get... whatever this shitshow of a thread is   :facepalm:

Sheesh, guys  :lol :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »
I think that was the initial intention... but this is DTF  :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
Click on the thread thinking it's people planning a meetup and instead get... whatever this shitshow of a thread is   :facepalm:

Sheesh, guys  :lol :lol :lol
That's the only reason I started this thread. So I'll be in NYC and I look forward to seeing some of you rat bastards if ya go!