Author Topic: 13 Reasons Why (Netflix)  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Shooters1221

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)
« on: April 06, 2017, 04:41:15 AM »
The title caught my a few days ago and I started watching, not knowing this was taken from a book. Three days later I'm finished with every episode. This pulled me in from the start and I just couldn't stop watching. It's about a teenage girl who committed suicide but before she did she made cassette tapes of who and what drove her to that decision. I thought it was well put together, good writing and acting. Maybe a couple of scenes throughout left me scratching my head a little, but it was really solid. Obviously, don't watch looking for laughs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 13 Reasons Why (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:47:52 AM »
How many episodes ? Seems like a thin premise for a serial.

( i'm guessing 1 reason per episode - with that reason acted out and shown in detail for the audience )

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:23:51 AM »
How many episodes ? Seems like a thin premise for a serial.

( i'm guessing 1 reason per episode - with that reason acted out and shown in detail for the audience )

Pretty much - 13 eps. 13 reasons.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:28:03 PM »
Finished it today. Really good. Definitely heartbreaking.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
I loved it. I actually posted a few paragraphs about it and the main subject on my Facebook page.

"I watched the entire season of 13 Reasons Why. It's a heartbreaking show. It's a crushing example of how a society can take something so beautiful and pure and destroy it to the point of self-destruction. I don't pretend to know what it's like to be in the position of a child being tormented to such drastic means that they felt the only way out was to take their own life. Sure, I was name-called in school. We all were. It was never anything that cruel. It wasn't a vicious attack at one's confidence and uniqueness.

I will claim ignorance. I used to think suicide was a coward's way out. I used to say it was a sign of weakness. But we cannot be so capricious to assume everyone has the ability to handle such burdens just because most of us can. You never know what is really going on in someone's life. Anything short of being humble and modest is plain ignorance.

With each episode this poor girl attempted to build a friendship out of the ashes of the previous one. Each person lured her in with their seemingly innocent kindness only to have ulterior motives - self-preservation. This is ubiquitous in schools and each time I read a story of a child taking their own life, a piece of the innocence of childhood is torn away like a baby from its mother.

We need to find means to improve our treatment of one another. We need to take our misguided hate and destructive emotions and find some other means of quelling that animosity. One day you will be parents to a child who could face the unfortunate consequences of the same rough justice you once doled out on someone else. Tell me - how does that feel when you put yourself in that position. Does it make you want to cry? Does it make you want to take it all back? You can't. You cannot reverse the stilled heartbeat of something that you snuffed the light out of.

There is beauty in all of the Hannahs of the world - beauty that deserves to be realized to its fullest potential. Each of us knows a Hannah and each of us brush it aside with blind indifference when all it sometimes takes is the smallest notion of love and understanding. The capacity to listen is one of our greatest virtues. Do not forget that, because sometimes it's all that is needed to save a life. "

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
I'm 11 episodes in, will hopefully watch the rest tonight.

I'm really enjoying it, very thought provoking, although the subject matter is very dark.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:35:33 AM »
Back to say that I finished the last two episodes last night. Wow - they were a really hard watch. Still thinking about it today.

Well said, Snob, some great thoughts in there.

I was thinking about how bad we are sometimes at picking up signals that other people might be hurting, or struggling with something, and how a kind word could make a difference to them. How many times has someone asked us how we're doing and all we say is "OK", when we're not really?

Or how about when we ask someone else how they're doing and we don't really wait to hear the answer, but steam ahead with the conversation? There's some challenges there for me for sure..

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 04:52:58 AM »
People are just usually waiting for their turn to speak. You can tell this because the second you take a breath from what you're saying, they're ready to jump in and get their opinion across. We're selfish people and I think we just need to take a step back, even if once a day, and think about how difficult some people have it compared to us. Think about how we get to come here and converse with each other. We've expanded our circle of friends. Even though some of us get at each other's throats on occasion, at the end of the day there are a plenty of people here who will listen and show genuine concern when the time calls for it. There are plenty of others who don't have that, who feel like they are utterly alone. It's such a visceral melancholic feeling that I, personally, never wish to feel again and would never wish that on anyone.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 05:10:25 AM »
I think that's kind of a vulnerable time in life too, around the 17-18 mark. Everyone's still trying to find out where they fit in. You might feel grown up, but you may not have the financial means yet to stand on your own two feet, or the life experience to be able to handle different situations.

You're also probably in the position of having to make decisions about further education, and career stuff that might affect the rest of your life. If I was to do it all over again, would I choose to do the same course at university, and end up in the same job? Not sure I would.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
I think that's kind of a vulnerable time in life too, around the 17-18 mark. Everyone's still trying to find out where they fit in. You might feel grown up, but you may not have the financial means yet to stand on your own two feet, or the life experience to be able to handle different situations.

You're also probably in the position of having to make decisions about further education, and career stuff that might affect the rest of your life. If I was to do it all over again, would I choose to do the same course at university, and end up in the same job? Not sure I would.

Agreed and also it's that adolescent time where a high percentage of us are "ahead of our time" so to speak, meaning we think we know but we learn later with life wisdom that we don't. That early false confident attitude leads some people to the bullying approach to prove 'something' to themselves or others.

Back to the show. The final 2 episodes were so good. The whole tub scene really got to me as well as time shifting scenes with the school counselor. Just sad. I read somewhere that there will be season 2.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
I read that too. I don't know if there's enough material for a whole season, but I'm definitely interested to see what happened to Bryce, and why Alex did what he did..

Man, that bathtub scene was one of the hardest things I've ever watched on a TV show..

Offline PB1

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:58 AM »
What if it turns out that the girl didn't actually commit suicide? Oh man that would be an EPIC twist  :eek

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:44 PM »

Man, that bathtub scene was one of the hardest things I've ever watched on a TV show..

Yeah. I can handle watching a lot as far as blood and whatnot, but I think because it was more emotional than anything, it was rough to see happen.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »
You're right - the fact that we as viewers were totally emotionally attached to the character by that point was what made it so powerful, and tragic.

Looks like it's definitely been given a second season: https://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/08/entertainment/13-reasons-season-2/

I can't see them being able to use the tapes gimmick this time around, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:36:15 AM »
You're right - the fact that we as viewers were totally emotionally attached to the character by that point was what made it so powerful, and tragic.

Looks like it's definitely been given a second season: https://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/08/entertainment/13-reasons-season-2/

I can't see them being able to use the tapes gimmick this time around, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

They made her character exceedingly likeable. She was a very pretty girl. Then they let you watch her confidence get torn to shreds. They set you up for what was inevitably going to happen.

I am curious to see where they go with this story. It does have lots of possibilities so I hope they don't ruin it.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »

They made her character exceedingly likeable. She was a very pretty girl. Then they let you watch her confidence get torn to shreds. They set you up for what was inevitably going to happen.

I am curious to see where they go with this story. It does have lots of possibilities so I hope they don't ruin it.

Yes, the moment from life to death in that tub was the part that hit me. You could almost feel her as she passes....weird feeling...well written,acted, and filmed.

As for season 2. My initial thoughts were they would just go with a whole new story with different actors similar to True Detective, but I guess not. This looks very interesting.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 02:12:13 AM »
I binged watched this as I currently have shingles (yay!).   I was such a weird show, I kind off enjoyed it.....but it also was complete and utterly stupid.   The biggest problem was Hannah - a no point did I buy the character, or the suicide. There was an annoying quirkiness of the character (F.M.L Forever) and simply she was a drama queen.   Also the huge premise of the 13 reasons was silly, most of the 'reasons' were absolutely nothing at all - and then there was rape.....which everyone who'd heard the tapes seemed to think wasn't worth reporting, in fact they were still happy to hang with Bryce.

The strangest character was definately Tony - who I genuinely believed was a figment of Clay's imagination for a few episodes, because he magically turned up at key moments and looked out of place with his Yoda like wisdom (at least the show mocked this towards the end).  Also again Tony had heard all the tapes first but decided crimes like rape and stalking aren't worth reporting...

Then there is Clay, just listen to the tapes!!  At least just fast forward to your own part - I a real person would, rather than a plot device....

So yeah, I kind off enjoyed it - but it was also dumb as fuck.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:17:21 AM by soupytwist »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 02:54:39 AM »
Bumping because I watched the series too. I was moderately intrigued by the premise, then I was simply hooked in.

I agree that Clay listening with pauses to the tapes is a plot device, but I'm 99% that an even more blatant plot device was his bike accident at the beginning so that you could see Clay without the little scar in his forehead / Clay with the scar to dumb down for the audience which scenes were in the past, and which one in the present.

Also, someone tells him at a point "Why do you wait? I listened to them, like, in a single evening". Unvoluntary ironical meta comment about binge watching?

I also think that the difference between some of the reasons and the rape was too much. It's bad what she went through, no denying it from me, but teenage quarrels like the Alex / Jessica triangle and an actual, brutal, horrible rape??? to quote Pulp Fiction, "they're not even in the same ballpark". Hannah 90% killed herself because she was raped, she went home after that horrible fact and compiled the list of people who hurt her, circling Bryce's name three times, and planned her suicide. Sure, there were aggravations - her sense of being hurt by his other friends, and the counselor not doing all he could do, but the rape was the clear and blatant tipping point.

And poor Clay torturing himself over their intimate moment... I get that a kid in that situation would blame himself, I really do, it's not bad writing or anything. But... they were making out. She stopped. She said FOUR TIMES, clearly and unequivocally to his face while visibly upset, that she didn't want him there. What was he supposed to do but leaving? should a kid in that position magically acquire the wisdom to find the exact right words to confort a girl that told him 4 times straight she wanted to be left alone? poor guy...

Also I found a bit weird how the other guys were discussing Jessica's rape... while seemingly completely ignoring that also Hannah herself was raped. It was like they wanted to save the dramatic twist for the 12th episode, and this required the other guys, who listened to all the tapes, forget that Hannah described two rapes in her tapes.

Her suicide scene was brutal and and gut wretching. I'll admit - I'm a big pussy when it comes to see blood. I actually didn't watch the scene, I turned my head away, and I cried. No girl should die like this, she is a fictional character but there are many girls in her same situation, and if anything, watching this at least gave me a big burst of emotional empathy. Not that of course I didn't care before, but not-really-watching the scene of her death I was thinking something like "No more. No one should die like this. No one". And her mother founding her... horrible.

These terrible moments and plot inconsistencies, I liked it. Also, it's not that I'm right and everyone else is wrong, these are simple cultural differences, but... I scratched my head many times at how certain things work in the overseas schools.

At a point someone says "So Zach is good at sports, who cares?" ... PRECISELY! Why anybody would care how good are some teenagers at school? why everyone is interested in watching them play? why making skinny or unfit kids "unworthy" of the praise and the attentions the jock "deserve" for what they do with a ball in their hands? why there are cheerleaders? why teenage girls have to dress in a uniform which surely is not provoking or revealing, but they have to dance around while girls not picked for the role think they're fatasses while maybe they even aren't? why there are winter and summer dances, and why everybody assumes that any teenager 1) Likes danceable music 2) Enjoys the physical act of dancing and feels comfortable doing it 3) can find a person of the opposite sex wanting to join them?

It's like unwanted awkward situations forced upon kids at their most emotionally vulnerable age. The only thing that lacks here in the old continent (at least in Italy and when I went to school) is a counselor, that is a very good idea... but the specific counselour of 13 Reasons Why basically convinced Hannah she was right to kill herself. D'uh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »
Bumping because S3 is out. I really love the acting and writing here. I went in thinking that they really can’t and shouldn’t continue this show, but after watching this season ep1, I couldn’t stop....again and went all the way until the end as it became a mystery again plus more character depth with each. I think it was a great way to take the story and the final ep was worth it. Great acting and writing and theme. Recommend to all that understand this.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »
S1 was good, S2 ok but S3 was unfortunately a massive disappointment. A few highlights but by all means i would call this season a trainwreck.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 08:32:44 AM »
I really liked season 1. Season 2 was good but felt like a CW show.

I started to watch season 3 but when it started off with a PSA to get an adult if you need one, I suddenly felt old and uncomfortable. Turned it off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com