Author Topic: Mangini praises Portnoy for coming up with cool drum parts  (Read 4731 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Mangini praises Portnoy for coming up with cool drum parts
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »
Can I pass as a Blabbermouth headline writer?

https://noisefull.com/interviews/dream-theater-mike-mangini

Other notable things:

He felt like an observer during The Astonishing. Never got the prep time he wanted and had to improvise a lot of parts.

He's enjoying the current tour more than last year's.

He talked about the balance between doing his thing and being faithful to MP drum parts.

He hated lying for six months about being accepted to DT.

He misses teaching and it's something he sees going back to when he gets older.

-----

I really like how noisefull does interviews. The interviewers always seem to do their assignment beforehand.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:55:26 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Mangini praises Portnoy for coming up with cool drum parts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
That was a really good read, thanks for posting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:04:42 AM »
Great interview.  Mangini has such a different perspective on things.  It's always entertaining to read his thoughts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »
Great interview! I'm reaaaaaally looking forward to the next DT album, to see how Mike is going to be involved in the writing process. I'm sure it'll be amazing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Yet not......Astonishing....   ;D

I'm sure it will be great!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »
Great interview! I'm reaaaaaally looking forward to the next DT album, to see how Mike is going to be involved in the writing process. I'm sure it'll be amazing.

I do wonder if him being pretty vocal now about being apart of the writing process will actually lead to it happening. 

I also do think it's interesting that he enjoys playing I&W more than TA and wonder if that has to do with the music itself or the reaction of the fans.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Yet not......Astonishing....   ;D

I'm sure it will be great!

:lol

I do wonder if him being pretty vocal now about being apart of the writing process will actually lead to it happening. 

I also do think it's interesting that he enjoys playing I&W more than TA and wonder if that has to do with the music itself or the reaction of the fans.

We only need JP to read this interview  :lol

About liking one tour vs the other, I think it's because TA live was a very note - for - note approach to the songs, playing them the same exact way every night, vs the IWAB set where they're improvising some things, each one gets a solo spot, etc.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 01:09:40 AM »
Probably the difference is the approach. The Astonishing was just that album and nothing else, and it all had to be very theatrical, scripted and synchronized. Playing I&W is more "freestyle".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
Well, that, and I think he also answered the question earlier on in the interview where he said that, with the Astonishing, he felt like he didn't really have time to write "good" drum parts the way he wanted.  There was a very short window in which he was introduced to the songs, improvised parts, and recorded them.  So, if he isn't really satisfied with his drum parts on a 3-hour piece of music, it isn't surprising that he is happier playing other music where he feels the drumming is more complete.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
What I really really don't understand, and what frustrates me no end, is:

Why did JP and JR spend nearly a year writing this amazing piece of music, clearly a labour of love for them, and a project they were passionate about... and then shortchange the drum composition and performance in this way? It seems to make no sense to put so much time and effort into a project, and then rush the drum recording sessions in this way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
What I really really don't understand, and what frustrates me no end, is:

Why did JP and JR spend nearly a year writing this amazing piece of music, clearly a labour of love for them, and a project they were passionate about... and then shortchange the drum composition and performance in this way? It seems to make no sense to put so much time and effort into a project, and then rush the drum recording sessions in this way.

My guess and my guess only, maybe it has to do with how long the process overall was taking?  The fact they went in the studio and didn't finish before that summer tour and had to come back put pressure on them to finish the recording quickly?   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »
Probably something along those lines.  And that kind of thing happens all the time.  We're just hearing about it with this album in a context where many will make it out in their minds as being a problem, when it really isn't. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
Yea, it's likely they had a label deadline and just happened to find themselves in a position that, due to however many circumstances, caused MM to just not have much time to do his thing.

Though, this wasn't a bad performance by MM at all. I liked it much more than much of his DT12 stuff.

Let's not forget he also recorded James' Elements album in like a week too. Dude doesn't do too bad in those situations.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
^Exactly.  "Less than ideal circumstances" for a musician that can clearly handle his business is not the same thing as "shortchanging."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
Yea true and I also really like MM on TA so while maybe if he had more time, he could have come up with something better, the end result is still really awesome.  If anything, it says MM can handle the less than ideal situations very well.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
MM may have done a good job, but the fact that he has complained about the severe time restrictions on more than one occasion tells me that he believes he was capable of doing much better.

My point was: "good enough" is not good enough for a project that was a year or longer in the making, and for which the composition process was clearly more painstakingly undertaken than the usual DT album.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
I'm one of the biggest defenders of this era of DT.  It's actually my favorite....

...but I'm going to be pissed if Mangini isn't included in the writing process for the next album. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
I'm one of the biggest defenders of this era of DT.  It's actually my favorite....

...but I'm going to be pissed if Mangini isn't included in the writing process for the next album.

Agree 100%

Offline jessicajr

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
Great interview, I'm looking forward to the next DT album,  :metal

Online Dream Team

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
Unfortunately the rock n roll highway is littered with the corpses of drummers who never got to be involved in the writing process.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 02:06:13 PM »
This "being involved in the writing process" thing comes up every time. What does that actually involve? What do you want from him on that front?

For the record, I'm not against that at all. I'm just confused by what that statement actually means in this case. Like, does it mean writing lyrics? If so, that brings questions about his past history and desire to write lyrics? If it's drum parts, did he have any involvement in drum parts for DT12? There you go.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
He wrote all his own drum parts on ADTOE, DT12 & The Astonishing...

I guess what he wants is to be there on Day 1 writing and arranging with the others and not given 3 days to learn & record 80 mins of music.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
This "being involved in the writing process" thing comes up every time. What does that actually involve? What do you want from him on that front?

For the record, I'm not against that at all. I'm just confused by what that statement actually means in this case. Like, does it mean writing lyrics? If so, that brings questions about his past history and desire to write lyrics? If it's drum parts, did he have any involvement in drum parts for DT12? There you go.

That's a valid question.  I just want him to have at least as much input as John Myung and James LaBrie.  That doesn't mean he will have much of a role but for him to just be there and be able to bounce ideas off everyone would definitely make it feel more like a band. I do believe Mangini has submitted some ideas in the past.  What that entails, I don't know.  It sounds as if he does have some riff and melody ideas.  In a skype chat done through this forum, Petrucci almost accidentally played a file of one of Mike's ideas and then said something like, "Oops, I didn't mean to play that file. That's one of Mike's ideas we didn't use.  Sorry Mike."  Wish we knew what it was. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »

He wants to be involved in the actual composition of the pieces, rather than being handed demos of already written music and told to make up some drum parts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Cool interview. Long story short, if DT wants to keep Mangini around, they need to make him involved in the songwriting process. period.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
Cool interview. Long story short, if DT wants to keep Mangini around, they need to make him involved in the songwriting process. period.

This.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 08:50:09 AM »

Mangini's problem is his sense of entitlement. He can't expect to be able to have equal rights or privileges like the other guys do. It isn't his band. He didn't spend 25 years working his ass off to get DT to where it is now. He was hired to play drums. Period.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »

Mangini's problem is his sense of entitlement. He can't expect to be able to have equal rights or privileges like the other guys do. It isn't his band. He didn't spend 25 years working his ass off to get DT to where it is now. He was hired to play drums. Period.

I have never gotten a sense of entitlement from MM. He has actually gone out of his way in interviews to praise JR and JP and their composition abilities, I haven't gotten the sense he feels entitled to be a part of that process, just merely that he wants to be a part. I don't see anything wrong with him wanting to be more involved. He is a member of the band, not a hired gun.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »

That's ridiculous.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »

Did you even read what Mangini said in the interview?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »

MP, is that you? :lol :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »

Did you even read what Mangini said in the interview?

Yeah, I don't get this kinda of answer either (I mean Stewie's of course, not Erwin's).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline PetFish

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
This thread is a great example of how ugly the Internet can be with out-of-context sound/text bites.

People are making some pretty harsh assumptions and theories about a great guy and making mountains out of molehills for no reason.  Just like that James LaBrie pissed-off nonsense thread.  It's embarrassing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 02:10:54 AM »
This thread is a great example of how ugly the Internet can be with out-of-context sound/text bites.

People are making some pretty harsh assumptions and theories about a great guy and making mountains out of molehills for no reason.  Just like that James LaBrie pissed-off nonsense thread.  It's embarrassing.

My thoughts as well.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 03:48:17 AM »
Yeah wanting to feel like he's " in the band " does not = feeling entitled.

If he asked to co-produce every album and write lyrics from day 1 then MAYBE.

As someone else said - he just wants to feel like he's a member of the band and not just a session guy bought in to just play drums and that's it.