Author Topic: The Civil War - Ken Burns Documentary  (Read 762 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The Civil War - Ken Burns Documentary
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »
Has anyone ever watched the Ken Burns Documentary on the Civil War? I've seen it a couple times, last time being easily 10 years ago. Well, it's on Netflix now.

I was thinking a 'watching party' or something would be cool as the discussion could get interesting? It's only (9) episodes...what if we were to do something like 'we' would need to watch an episode or two a week...then each week we could talk about them? The viewing schedule would be just to keep us all on the same page or something? I don't know?

Anyone interested in this?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Civil War - Ken Burns Documentary
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
I watched it at the shop a few years ago. I"m kind of torn on Ken Burns's style. It's not what I want in a documentary, really, but what he does is interesting. I've seen Jazz, Baseball and The Civil War, and they all work the same way. He doesn't provide many details, which is what I'm mainly interested in, but does a great job of conveying what it was like. Given the amount of time he has to work with I'd like to see him combine both approaches. Read us the soldiers' letters home, that's fascinating insight,  but also tell us how the battles went down and how they were fought.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson