Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83115 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #630 on: June 16, 2021, 05:38:01 PM »
I spoke with Dennis today...

I love reading stuff like that.  I'll probably never sit down and have a chat with anyone famous, for reasons professional, personal, or otherwise, but I think it would be cool as hell.

I was jamming one time with one of my buddies back in Michigan, and we got into a discussion about some song (I forget which; I think it was by King Crimson), and he goes "Well, I was talking to Bill Bruford the other day, and..."  Asshole.  I say that with a smile, because it's just his way of casually bragging, and he knows I'm jealous.  Apparently he'd been to the King Crimson show a few nights before, and got a chance to go backstage and meet the band.  He'd managed to strike up an online friendship with Adrian Belew (this was back during the double trio era), and saw him outside before the show and introduced himself.  Adrian told him to catch him after the show, so he did, and he got to meet Bruford, Levin, Fripp, and the others.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #631 on: June 16, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »
I spoke with Dennis today...the interview was supposed to last 30 minutes, but we ended up talking for almost an hour. Really cool guy to talk to, very entertaining, funny and endearing. I know he has an axe to grind with the other Styx guys, and he's not shy to say that, but I really enjoyed the conversation.

Nice.   He is always nothing but personable, engaging and funny in literally every interview I have ever seen with him.  You know he is proud of his life's work and he damn well should be.  :coolio :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #632 on: June 16, 2021, 06:15:21 PM »
Smiling while holding an axe.  Perfect. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2021, 06:22:39 PM »
Well, if someone delivers an axe to you first, then you have the right to swing one back, right? (metaphorically of course)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2021, 07:55:58 PM »
You know I was provoking you. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
Honestly, all are to blame. Relationships gone bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #637 on: June 16, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »
Speaking of blah, blah, did you see that Styx released an EP last week with two new songs?  I guess as a precursor to the new studio album coming out this week.  I thought both songs were pretty blah.  My expectations have been tempered big time now for the new album, and I will likely try before buying.  All of these new songs not being very impressive makes me think the lightning in a bottle they captured on The Mission went away as quickly as it appeared.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: June 16, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »
Crap. I missed this.

Btw, one of the old DTF'ERS (Atliator) is in a Styx cover band. Dennis Atlas.  They already play Crash of the Crown live. They sound amazing.

https://youtu.be/zAypw3H2ENQ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #639 on: June 16, 2021, 08:37:24 PM »
Do I need to see a cover band playing a Styx song that sounds blah when played by the actual band Styx*? :P

*Really the fake Styx since there is no Dennis, but we can call them the "actual band Styx" in this instance. ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: June 16, 2021, 08:41:32 PM »
Kev, their band is amazing.   That's only one song.  I'd say 85% is classic.   Check them out. They are great.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #641 on: June 18, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »
Crash of the Crown is pretty boring. I loved the old Styx so much, but their modern stuff.   :\

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: June 18, 2021, 02:34:42 PM »
Crash of the Crown is pretty boring. I loved the old Styx so much, but their modern stuff.   :\

Boring? Nothing about that that song is boring.  The second song released (Reveries) was average.  Like the chorus a lot though.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »

Boring? Nothing about that that song is boring.  The second song released (Reveries) was average.  Like the chorus a lot though.

My bad... I meant the album.... ;D   :'(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: June 18, 2021, 05:51:21 PM »
Ooooh!  I'll let you know when I get it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #645 on: June 18, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »
Not sure what to think of the new record.  Tons of good harmonies, but it seemed like every song ended way too soon.   Feels like one of those albums where I think, "this is pretty good," and then end up never listening to it.  Time will tell.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: June 19, 2021, 06:33:11 PM »
2 listens and I really like it. I do agree with Kev that most songs are very short and some feel like there should be another verse but I think that was done purposely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: June 19, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: June 19, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #649 on: June 19, 2021, 07:23:39 PM »
I may like it more than The Mission (but I didn't like The Mission).  I think over time it will be dragged down by being a bit samey.  I like "Our Wonderful Lives" a lot.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #650 on: June 21, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »
I really like the new album.  Lots of good stuff.  Nothing overstays its welcome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #651 on: June 21, 2021, 10:11:32 AM »
Not sure what to think of the new record.  Tons of good harmonies, but it seemed like every song ended way too soon.   Feels like one of those albums where I think, "this is pretty good," and then end up never listening to it.  Time will tell.

Pretty much.  Just finished my first (and likely last) run through of it.  Pretty enjoyable, but entirely forgettable.  Not a single track longer than 4:00.  I'm really tired of bands releasing 40-ish minutes of music, then charging a full album's price.  This ain't the 70s anymore.  Part of my album buying criteria now includes how much music I'm getting for the price.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: June 21, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
I think they went into making this album with a mindset of short songs. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #653 on: June 21, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
I think they went into making this album with a mindset of short songs.

Then they succeeded!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »
 :lol

I like the album a lot but i can admit i felt there were songs I felt like there was another verse was coming but the song ended.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #655 on: June 21, 2021, 12:25:47 PM »
There's a fine line between leaving them wanting more, and leaving them disappointed that there wasn't any more.  I guess I can understand wanting to get back to shorter songs as a deliberate step away from the semi-proggy stuff, but there's still such thing as a well-written song, and I think a well-written song can push four or five minutes without feeling padded out or trying to be prog.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #656 on: June 21, 2021, 12:46:48 PM »
These songs were definitely semi-proggy IMO. 

I don't know, I'm a little tired of every "proggy" album having to be 2 discs with a 75-minute epic.  Bigger is not always better.  I thought it was nice to get a smaller does with tasteful amounts of progginess.

*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #657 on: June 21, 2021, 02:53:20 PM »
I totally get that, but I think they swung the pendulum too far the other way, and most of the songs end up having that, "Wait, that's it?" feel.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #658 on: June 21, 2021, 06:47:44 PM »
Here's my chat with Dennis DeYoung, guys. If you have any comments, please post them on the YouTube video, and not here: https://youtu.be/8MIdQt5qYng

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #659 on: June 22, 2021, 07:11:15 PM »
Here's my chat with Dennis DeYoung, guys. If you have any comments, please post them on the YouTube video, and not here: https://youtu.be/8MIdQt5qYng

Nice work!  Dennis is still so full of energy, and once he gets going with a thought, best to just let him go. :lol  The Styx fallout will always be in the pink elephant in the room, so I have no issues with asking him about it or his answers.  I always figured that it was JY that had the problem with Dennis and that Tommy went along with it, but it appears evident at this point that it is the opposite.

Sorry, while they can be entertaining to read, I try to avoid posting in the YT comment section at all costs (I think I have maybe 4-5 over like 10 years :lol), so my comments went here.  :biggrin:

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #660 on: June 23, 2021, 06:38:55 AM »

Nice work!  Dennis is still so full of energy, and once he gets going with a thought, best to just let him go. :lol  The Styx fallout will always be in the pink elephant in the room, so I have no issues with asking him about it or his answers.  I always figured that it was JY that had the problem with Dennis and that Tommy went along with it, but it appears evident at this point that it is the opposite.

Sorry, while they can be entertaining to read, I try to avoid posting in the YT comment section at all costs (I think I have maybe 4-5 over like 10 years :lol), so my comments went here.  :biggrin:

Thanks anyway! Yeah, he was great to talk to...I knew very little about him and Styx before I agreed to do the interview, and I'm happy I got to know their back catalogue now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #661 on: June 27, 2021, 06:28:02 AM »
OK, I've now had the opportunity to listen to this new album a few times and it's AWESOME!  I was skeptical that they'd be able to top The Mission which was my album of the year when it came out, but this new one is even better.  This might be the best thing they've released in a couple of decades.  Definitely better than Cyclorama, slightly better than The Mission.  I'd put this album up against anything in their entire catalog with and without DDY.  Right now I've got it at 4 stars but it might go higher.

I don't care that the songs are short, they all kind of blend into each other and this feels more like a long, continuous epic to me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: June 27, 2021, 06:58:24 AM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:43:52 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #663 on: June 27, 2021, 08:11:36 AM »
OK, I've now had the opportunity to listen to this new album a few times and it's AWESOME!  I was skeptical that they'd be able to top The Mission which was my album of the year when it came out, but this new one is even better.  This might be the best thing they've released in a couple of decades.  Definitely better than Cyclorama, slightly better than The Mission.  I'd put this album up against anything in their entire catalog with and without DDY.  Right now I've got it at 4 stars but it might go higher.

I don't care that the songs are short, they all kind of blend into each other and this feels more like a long, continuous epic to me.

Anyone who compares this to the classics like Paradise Theater just loses me, it's not as good and it's not the same band.  They're down to one songwriter and he needs a non Styx co-writer.  I like it, though.  It's too samey and bland to be really good but for this point in Shaw's career it's a solid effort.

Not sure if I like this or Dennis' new stuff better.  The two combined would have been nice :)

I combined the two 26 East Deyoung albums into one.  I deleted "With All Due Respect" - don't need a 70 year old singing about "assholes", 'St. Quarantine" - stupid and Grand Finale as it's just a dumb rehash of The Grand Finale on Grand Illusion.  Too bad Dennis didn't do a true Grand Finale but whatever. 

Then I moved "To the Good Old Days" and "AD 2020" (may rename to AD 2021) to the very end of the now 19 track album.  As this is Dennis' last album those two at the end fit well; not sure why he ended Volume 1 with them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #664 on: June 27, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
I wouldn't put Paradise Theater in the top tier, as for me, their best albums are that 4-album run of Equinox, Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.  Nothing else touches those for me.  That said, The Mission, which I mostly loved, might be my 5th favorite. It really was that good.  No, it didn't touch those classics from the 70's, but it was light years better than anything they had done since then, IMO.  The new one is okay, but just way too much musical blue balls with all of those truncated songs for me to really enjoy.  Too bad, cause they came up with some killer choruses with those harmonies, but just not enough around them in most cases.