Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83465 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #700 on: June 29, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
I know a lot of people who kinda bailed on Styx when Dennis left.  If Styx did a tour with Dennis, Tommy, and JY, I bet the attendance would be at least double what it's been for recent tours.  Moot point, since we know it'll never happen, but there are still a lot of people my age who would risk the crowds to see Dennis with Styx one last time.

Online pg1067

« Reply #701 on: June 29, 2021, 01:49:27 PM »
Interestingly, I just saw that Styx is playing in Vegas in September -- three consecutive nights at the Venetian (Friday through Sunday).  I know nothing about the venue, but all three nights seem to be sold out, and I couldn't find a ticket on Stubhub for less than $100.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #702 on: June 29, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »
I love the lineup they have now.  I always feel with most bands that they are better live backing new music.  That was my gripe with Styx for years that it took them 16 years to release new music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #703 on: June 29, 2021, 02:12:29 PM »
Just a random musing here, but I was watching the '78 Winterland show the other night, and it dawned on me that Styx is the American Queen. They're not as talented individually or collectively, but they're doing essentially the exact same thing. Opening with TGI you could actually see DDY trying to be Freddie Mercury.

Just thought that was interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #704 on: June 29, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
I've watched that show before, and that is a more than reasonable musing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #705 on: June 29, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »
Interesting observation.  I wouldn't go as far as calling Styx the American Queen, but it does seem that Dennis watched a few Queen videos or saw Freddie a few times and picked up some Front Man Moves from him.  He did a lot to play to the crowd, and it was almost a shame that he had to spend most of his time behind the keyboards.  I don't think Dennis was quite as good as Freddie, but then, very few were, if any.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #706 on: June 29, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »
I think many of the third party you talk about have no clue who is in the band.

Most in there late 40's/50's only go to hear the hits from their past.  They have no clue of the new albums.  Life gets in the way of fandom.

I think this is true. A friend I have known for over 30 years and I were driving somewhere about two years ago, and I had The Mission on in the car and he literally said, "What happened to Dennis' voice?"  This was during the verses of The Outpost, which of course features Gowan on lead vocals. He had no idea that DDY was out of the band (he is a casual music fan at best anymore, although he still loves Rush, Floyd, Styx and Queen).

Online pg1067

« Reply #707 on: June 29, 2021, 03:31:43 PM »
I assume we're talking about this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyOv91RRtq8

It's interesting on the song TGI - on the intro riff, it sounds like they're playing straight sixteenth notes instead of the sixteenth note triplets.  Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen so many white clothes at a rock concert.  Chuck looks like there was a memo he didn't get or something.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #708 on: June 29, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
Chuck always looks like there was a memo he didn't get.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #709 on: June 29, 2021, 07:02:18 PM »
I assume we're talking about this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyOv91RRtq8

It's interesting on the song TGI - on the intro riff, it sounds like they're playing straight sixteenth notes instead of the sixteenth note triplets.  Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen so many white clothes at a rock concert.  Chuck looks like there was a memo he didn't get or something.   :lol

Good to see Mademoiselle on there!  Aside from the snippets of Put Me On Styx has played a few times since the turn of the century, it's like both the current incarnation and DDY have forgotten that the Crystal Ball has other good songs besides the title track.  This Old Man and Ballerina are both killer tunes that are just begging for one of them to play again, maybe, I don't know, sometime, again, ever!!  :lol :lol

Cool to see Midnight Ride on there.  Not my favorite, but the least best song from Equinox is still pretty damn good. That's another album with killer deep cuts that get ignored by both factions. :(

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #710 on: June 30, 2021, 12:09:16 PM »
I saw them with Angel back in 78 79   fun times 

I never saw the Queen comparo, but I guess one could see that...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 12:17:29 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Kram

« Reply #711 on: July 01, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
I'm not a huge Styx fan by any stretch, but did grow up in the 70's & 80's, so had most of their classic albums from that era (I'm not at all familiar with their newer material) -  and just wanted to say that if DDY did rejoin for a tour, I'd go see it for sure.  I also wanted to mention that after reading this thread I went down the YouTube wormhole watching live clips of both Styx and DDY - and I've got to say, that both DDY and Tommy Shaw can still really bring it vocally. Quite impressed by both considering their ages (DDY 74 / TS 67, I looked it up). Very impressive! 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #712 on: July 01, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »
Tommy joined Styx when he was 17 so he's been with the band for 50 years now  :eek

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: July 01, 2021, 12:36:49 PM »
I believe he was 22.  Born in 1953 and joined Styx in December of 1975.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online pg1067

« Reply #714 on: July 01, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »

Yeah...if he had joined when he was 17, he'd have been there for all of the Wooden Nickel albums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: July 01, 2021, 05:42:34 PM »
Still, 22 years old in a touring band is amazing.  Plus, he had writing skills at 22!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #716 on: July 01, 2021, 07:47:48 PM »
I always loved the fact that the band was so welcoming that they allowed the first album with Tommy to be named after one of his songs (Crystal Ball).  The demo of that song sounds like an America song, but then he joined the band and it got Styx-ized!  Still one of my favorite Styx songs ever.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: July 01, 2021, 08:12:52 PM »
I need to listen to the pre Tommy albums. It's been a while.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: July 01, 2021, 08:14:15 PM »
I always loved the fact that the band was so welcoming that they allowed the first album with Tommy to be named after one of his songs (Crystal Ball).  The demo of that song sounds like an America song, but then he joined the band and it got Styx-ized!  Still one of my favorite Styx songs ever.

Crystal Ball is indeed a great tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #719 on: July 02, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »

Crystal Ball is indeed a great tune.

:tup :tup

I need to listen to the pre Tommy albums. It's been a while.

The Wooden Nickel albums are pretty inconsistent, with II likely being the best, but Equinox is fantastic. I am surprised you don't listen to that one more. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: July 02, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
Honestly, I don't know why either.   Got to head up to Vermont for 1 day so it's a 3 hour drive.......

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: July 02, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »

I think I must have confused him with someone else, maybe the drummer in def leppard.  Anyway, that's still 46 years in the same band  :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: July 02, 2021, 01:56:46 PM »
68 and still has the pipes and the energy to tour.  crazy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #723 on: July 02, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »
Yep, Tommy still sounds very good.  He wasn't with the band for a bit in the later 80's and early 90's (Styx was my 3rd concert ever in '90 and he was not in the band then), but has been a mainstay since 1995/1996. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #724 on: July 02, 2021, 02:29:09 PM »
Have you guys seen Tommy on Live From Daryl's House? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTnu27jHz-g 
I apologize if this has already been discussed, I haven't read all the pages in this thread

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #725 on: July 02, 2021, 09:12:02 PM »
Have you guys seen Tommy on Live From Daryl's House? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTnu27jHz-g 
I apologize if this has already been discussed, I haven't read all the pages in this thread

I saw that a while back. Pretty cool.

I really wish the Tommy Shaw name was much bigger as a brand and he could do a tour on his own where he played a bunch of his solo stuff and other songs from his history, but sadly it is not.  The planned Shaw/Blades tour in '95 was canceled due to lack of interest, and I suspect that is when Tommy realized that he needed Styx again, especially since Nugent had gone back to his solo career and Damn Yankees were on (what has turned out to be a permanent) hiatus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #726 on: July 03, 2021, 04:45:07 PM »
Great interview with DDY by Pete Pardo (links below).  It is long, but a great listen.  Whatever you think of DDY, his encyclopedic knowledge of Styx and their history is pretty amazing, and to hear him talk in depth about the Wooden Nickel era is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLL_78dUqc (Part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO8WhXLlQ_8 (Part 2)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: July 04, 2021, 05:36:00 AM »
New Styx album is a very strong contender for album of the year. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #728 on: July 04, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »
New Styx album is a very strong contender for album of the year.

I'm happy that many of you like it so much.  I like the middle section a lot but the album as a while is too samey for me.  "Hold Back the Darkness" through "Our Wonderful Loves" and "To Those" are the ones I like the best.  I am going to rename the band for this and The Mission as Shaw-Evankovich Project.  Dennis' last two are just as good and sound more like Styx.  The Shaw-Evankovich Project doesn't deserve the Styx name any more than Dennis does.

I like both albums.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 08:15:53 AM by BelichickFan »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: July 04, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »
Except Dennis settled and they do have the right. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #730 on: July 04, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »

"doesn't deserve the Styx name" ... "do have the right".

I'm separating them off in my library, they aren't Styx.  Sure they have the legal right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #731 on: July 04, 2021, 10:13:31 AM »
Right, Crash of the Crown is what Styx sounds like now.  Sure, it is very much a "Tommy Shaw with friends"-sounding album, but as he is the man in charge now, it makes sense that he will be the dominant personality on the album, which I am good with.  It worked to a large degree on The Mission, and to a lesser degree on the new album, which has grown on me a little, but still feels like there is too much musical blue balls going on.  A few of the songs do pack a lot into their shorter running times for sure, but too many still feel unfinished.  The finisher, Stream, starts off with this really cool vibe and you think, "Okay, this could be a really good slow burner," and then it changes quickly, busts out a quick guitar solo, and then just ends.  Just strange.   I get taking the "take it as a whole" approach, but with so many songs that feels underdeveloped, the album almost sounds bipolar, like they just bounced from idea to idea before finishing some of them first. But there are some good tunes here.  The Fight of Our Lives is great opener.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: July 04, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »

"doesn't deserve the Styx name" ... "do have the right".

I'm separating them off in my library, they aren't Styx.  Sure they have the legal right.

Doesn't deserve is crap.  Obviously Dennis settled because everyone else in the band was done with him.

So he doesn't deserve anything.   If he acted better than this situation wouldn't of happened. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #733 on: July 04, 2021, 03:43:40 PM »
Damn, BelichickFan is like the Epicview of the Styx thread. :lol

Sounds just like his Queensryche posts.

Joe, I sent you a text. Check out the album I just posted in the Album Thread!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: July 04, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »
Tim. Lol

Geoff Tate
Steve Perry
Dennis DeYoung

All caused their own exodus.   Are the bands better without them?  Nope.  But a band has to move on with them because they choked the life out of other bandmates.  Kev has brought up Tommy is taking over but it seems that are content the last 20 years with his leadership because they are all involved.

So that's why your take is bad. No one person is better in a band and if he believes so, it runs a band to cause a breakup.