Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83434 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #595 on: June 04, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »
yeah they never worked together.  When Dennis was out they brought Glen back in the band and he played bass and they brought Lawrence in.  They toured a year and made Cyclorama.  Glen left and they brought Ricky in and did the cover album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #596 on: June 05, 2021, 05:44:39 AM »
Another new song from the forthcoming Styx record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkR4ZuaSRpI

Seems a lot better than the first one, even with Gowan on lead vocals. ;)

We need some new Styx songs with Tommy on lead vocals soon, though.  :hat :hat

It's OK in a minimalistic kind of way.  I like the keyboard, there's nothing much in the vocal melodies though.  I hope there's much better on the album, this sounds like a throwaway track that is album worthy but in the bottom 50% of quality of a good album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #597 on: June 05, 2021, 07:21:25 AM »
Another new song from the forthcoming Styx record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkR4ZuaSRpI

Seems a lot better than the first one, even with Gowan on lead vocals. ;)

We need some new Styx songs with Tommy on lead vocals soon, though.  :hat :hat

It's OK in a minimalistic kind of way.  I like the keyboard, there's nothing much in the vocal melodies though.  I hope there's much better on the album, this sounds like a throwaway track that is album worthy but in the bottom 50% of quality of a good album.

I agree, but the first song we heard from The Mission was Gone, Gone, Gone, which was easily one of the two or three least best ones from that one.  Most of the best songs from it were album cuts that were unheard till the album dropped, and I am hopeful that will be the case again this time.  I am not overly optimistic, as releasing an album as good as The Mission at this late stage of the game was pretty shocking, and it might be unrealistic to think that they can catch lightning in a bottle again this quickly, but I am hopeful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #598 on: June 08, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-tommy-shaw-said-no-to-styx-reunion-tour/

Ugh.

At this point, I wish Dennis would just shut up about it. It's been 20+ freaking years.  The band has moved on.  You need to as well.

After hearing the actual interview (below), I rescind my earlier post.  Dennis was asked about it, and just gave an honest answer.  And as I said to Joe offline earlier, the more I think about it, the more I realize that Dennis' story throughout the years has never changed, while Tommy and JY are always being evasive or giving answers that do not necessarily line up with prior ones, making me think that maybe Dennis isn't the bad guy that they have portrayed him to be.  Not saying he is blameless, but this "Tommy and JY are the good guys and had to rid themselves of Dennis and his Broadway shlock" narrative really sounds like a load of crap when you really dig into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1tMw50k5Y

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: June 08, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »
I agree that Tommy & JY have acted childish with their verbal jabs over the years.

I do think that Dennis and his actions lead to both guitarists jabbing for 2 decades.

In the end, he wants one more day in the son for the 50th, and the band wants nothing to do with him.

I love Styx and loved their greatest output un the 70's but sometimes a marriage goes sour.  This is the reality.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #600 on: June 08, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »
Yep, a reunion would not work well since there'd be too animosity.

It's a small comfort, but Dennis should rest easy knowing that, decades after he and the rest of the Styx lineup are dead and gone, most of the songs they will be remembered for will be ones he wrote.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: June 08, 2021, 06:32:44 PM »
I'm glad he finally woke up and made the music he should have.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #602 on: June 08, 2021, 06:38:52 PM »
It's a small comfort, but Dennis should rest easy knowing that, decades after he and the rest of the Styx lineup are dead and gone, most of the songs they will be remembered for will be ones he wrote.

I could've sworn I said something along these lines earlier in the thread and got attacked by the Tommy Police.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: June 08, 2021, 06:46:58 PM »
Because Dennis is his own problem.  His actions in the past lead to this. This is why I side with Tommy,  why I side with Neal Schon ect.

Power corrupts.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #604 on: June 08, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
I just think there is likely plenty of blame to go around. 

I still think it's funny that Dennis' replacement, in over 20 years with the band, is the sole writer of a grand total of, wait for it, zero Styx songs (we'll see if that changes when the new album is out).  :eek :eek  But hey, he can twirl his keyboard a lot.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #605 on: June 08, 2021, 08:05:33 PM »
Kev-Team Dennis

Joe-Team Tommy

Is this right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #606 on: June 08, 2021, 08:07:57 PM »
I am not anti-Tommy by any means.  I still love the Damn Yankees records (shut it! :P), still listen to his Girls with Guns album from the 80's, which I had never heard until a few years ago, often, and the Shaw/Blades stuff is great.  I just don't think this is black and white situation. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: June 08, 2021, 08:13:12 PM »
I am not anti-Tommy by any means. 

Just because you're Team Dennis does not make you anti Tommy.

Pick a side. Have a spine! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #608 on: June 08, 2021, 08:16:44 PM »
Fine, I am Team Panozzo brothers.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #609 on: June 08, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
Fine, I am Team Panozzo brothers.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

That's another cop out.

Team John OR Team Chuck? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #610 on: June 08, 2021, 08:20:05 PM »
Team Panozzo brothers!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #611 on: June 08, 2021, 08:21:53 PM »
I see Kev tailors a swift response.

I don't get it, but...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #612 on: June 08, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: June 08, 2021, 08:23:47 PM »
Team Tommy representing.   I like Dennis  but obviously there was a band revolt for a reason.   Just like why Journey went on with different singers. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #614 on: June 08, 2021, 09:02:36 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-tommy-shaw-said-no-to-styx-reunion-tour/

Ugh.

At this point, I wish Dennis would just shut up about it. It's been 20+ freaking years.  The band has moved on.  You need to as well.

After hearing the actual interview (below), I rescind my earlier post.  Dennis was asked about it, and just gave an honest answer.  And as I said to Joe offline earlier, the more I think about it, the more I realize that Dennis' story throughout the years has never changed, while Tommy and JY are always being evasive or giving answers that do not necessarily line up with prior ones, making me think that maybe Dennis isn't the bad guy that they have portrayed him to be.  Not saying he is blameless, but this "Tommy and JY are the good guys and had to rid themselves of Dennis and his Broadway shlock" narrative really sounds like a load of crap when you really dig into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1tMw50k5Y

I love a lot of Tommy's stuff.  My opinion, totally conjecture:

Tommy wanted nothing to do with Dennis after Kilroy.  Ironic that the man who couldn't write about robots could write about a mission to Mars.  Though, admittedly it was 30+ years later.  Tommy realized that the Styx name was the cash cow.  So he "made up" with Dennis and rejoined.  JY doesn't care who is in Styx as long as he is but he has more in common musically with Tommy than Dennis.

Tommy bides his time until the time is right to dump Dennis.  He's rid of the guy he doesn't like and he gets the Styx name to fill the arenas.  It was Tommy or Dennis but Tommy had to get back in to get Dennis out.

I don't like The Mission that much, I think it's medicore.  On the other hand I didn't want Styx to become Barry Manilow with harmonies (and I love Barry) so I'm not all in on Dennis.  I love Girls with Guns and What If.  And I love Tommy's Kilroy and prior stuff.  I am not anti Tommy.  But I think this was the plan all along.  Get back in Styx, get JY to agree to boot Dennis and, voila, it's Tommy's band and sold out arenas.

I hope the new Styx CD is great.  So far I prefer the two Dennis singles to the two Styx singles.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:08:51 PM by BelichickFan »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #615 on: June 08, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »
Either I never realized it, or I totally forgot, that Tommy left the band for a while.  When was this?  I was a pretty big Styx fan in the 70's, but they lost me around Cornerstone and I never picked up Paradise Theater.  They seemed to be mostly repeating themselves, cashing in on the formula, and the occassional ventures into new territory didn't work for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #616 on: June 08, 2021, 09:16:02 PM »

I love a lot of Tommy's stuff.  My opinion, totally conjecture:

Tommy wanted nothing to do with Dennis after Kilroy.  Ironic that the man who couldn't write about robots could write about a mission to Mars.  Though, admittedly it was 30+ years later.  Tommy realized that the Styx name was the cash cow.  So he "made up" with Dennis and rejoined.  JY doesn't care who is in Styx as long as he is but he has more in common musically with Tommy than Dennis.

Tommy bides his time until the time is right to dump Dennis.  He's rid of the guy he doesn't like and he gets the Styx name to fill the arenas.  It was Tommy or Dennis but Tommy had to get back in to get Dennis out.

I don't like The Mission that much, I think it's medicore.  On the other hand I didn't want Styx to become Barry Manilow with harmonies (and I love Barry).  I love Girls with Guns and What If.  And I love Tommy's Kilroy and prior stuff.  I am not anti Tommy.  But I think this was the plan all along.  Get back in Styx, get JY to agree to boot Dennis and, voila, it's Tommy's band and sold out arenas.

I hope the new Styx CD is great.  So far I prefer the two Dennis singles to the two Styx singles.

Some interesting points.

Regarding biding his time, it is interesting to note that the Styx reunion in '96 came right after the Shaw/Blades project went belly up.  I really liked the album, but I remember that the planned tour was canceled due to lack of interest.  And Ted Nugent had made it clear that he wanted to stick with solo career again, so the Damn Yankees was not an option.  So hey why not make up with Dennis. And to Tommy's credit, he took another crack at the solo career with 7 Deadly Zens (an album I still love to this day), but that failed to make much of a dent.  And then Damn Yankees attempted a 3rd album in the late 90's, but the magic was not there and they abandoned the idea, so Tommy basically had nada left except Styx, so once Dennis could not tour to being sick (it's not like he just didn't want to do it), Tommy saw his chance to snag control of the Styx name and executed a major power move, which had paid off.  Props to him.

As for the Kilroy era, I have always chuckled at revisionist history of that album by Tommy and JY.  Check the songs.  JY and Tommy wrote the majority of that album, not Dennis.  :lol :lol  I am sure the tour wasn't fun, and I totally get that, but for them to slag the album is basically them slagging themselves.

I can't get a lot of love to Tommy's What If album, but Girls with Guns is damn good from start to finish, and Ambition is mostly very good as well, despite the more 80's sounding drum machine bits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #617 on: June 08, 2021, 09:17:12 PM »
Either I never realized it, or I totally forgot, that Tommy left the band for a while.  When was this?  I was a pretty big Styx fan in the 70's, but they lost me around Cornerstone and I never picked up Paradise Theater.  They seemed to be mostly repeating themselves, cashing in on the formula, and the occassional ventures into new territory didn't work for me.

Tommy was not in the band for the 1990 album or that tour.  That was the first time I saw Styx (my 3rd concert ever).  I think he departed shortly after the Kilroy tour and did not return till the mid 90's.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #618 on: June 08, 2021, 11:00:19 PM »
I can't get a lot of love to Tommy's What If album, but Girls with Guns is damn good from start to finish, and Ambition is mostly very good as well, despite the more 80's sounding drum machine bits.

I love "What If".  I never liked Ambition or 7 Deadly Zens.  The former sounded too "generic rock" without the signature Shaw sounds and the latter was just inconsistent and mediocre.  That said, it's been a few years, I need to give them both another shot.

I just listened to Girls With Guns and What If and very definitely love those.  Listened to the whole Styx discography with the albums out soon.  Tommy albums were amazing except too much schmaltz on Cornerstone.  Not a single album I like since Kilroy.  Brave New World is the worst.  I hadn't listened in years.  Thought it would be fun.  Good God that was bad.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #619 on: June 09, 2021, 06:53:04 AM »
I've seen Styx 4 times (twice with Dennis in 1996 & 1997 and twice without in 2001 & 2003).  I've also seen Dennis' solo band twice around 2010 & 2011 or so.  All of the shows were enjoyable and fun for their own reasons.

I have no desire to see Styx again unless Dennis is there.  I do think there was a difference - in 2001 & 2003, they seemed much more up-tempo and "rockin," which at the time, I loved.  But Dennis just has that untouchable voice.  He hasn't lost a step, and I much prefer hearing him sing those classic songs than Gowan. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #620 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:55 AM »

I love "What If".  I never liked Ambition or 7 Deadly Zens.  The former sounded too "generic rock" without the signature Shaw sounds and the latter was just inconsistent and mediocre.  That said, it's been a few years, I need to give them both another shot.

I just listened to Girls With Guns and What If and very definitely love those.  Listened to the whole Styx discography with the albums out soon.  Tommy albums were amazing except too much schmaltz on Cornerstone.  Not a single album I like since Kilroy.  Brave New World is the worst.  I hadn't listened in years.  Thought it would be fun.  Good God that was bad.

Brave New World has a few good songs (I like Heavy Water a lot), but the majority of it sucks dirty swamp water.

Cyclorama is more miss than hit, but the good ones are excellent.  One with Everything and These Are the Times are both killer songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #621 on: June 09, 2021, 08:21:52 AM »
I like the new singles.  Looking forward to the new album.

But I can't lie, I wish the major players would kiss and make up for the sake of a final tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #622 on: June 09, 2021, 04:29:23 PM »

Tommy was not in the band for the 1990 album or that tour.  That was the first time I saw Styx (my 3rd concert ever).  I think he departed shortly after the Kilroy tour and did not return till the mid 90's.

Thanks for that.  I guess I had forgotten that.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #623 on: June 09, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »

Brave New World has a few good songs (I like Heavy Water a lot), but the majority of it sucks dirty swamp water.

Cyclorama is more miss than hit, but the good ones are excellent.  One with Everything and These Are the Times are both killer songs.
Agreed!  These Are the Times is a top tier Styx song.   :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #624 on: June 09, 2021, 07:29:30 PM »
I haven't done a top 50 list that I count down in a long while...might be time to scrape one together for Styx. :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: June 09, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »
The definition of scrape...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:46 PM »
The definition of scrape...

Go to bad old man.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #627 on: June 09, 2021, 08:46:27 PM »
Yeah!! Bad old man!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: June 09, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »
Duh.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #629 on: June 16, 2021, 05:22:15 PM »
I spoke with Dennis today...the interview was supposed to last 30 minutes, but we ended up talking for almost an hour. Really cool guy to talk to, very entertaining, funny and endearing. I know he has an axe to grind with the other Styx guys, and he's not shy to say that, but I really enjoyed the conversation.