Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83433 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #560 on: March 09, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
I think I listened to it twice myself.  It was good but I doubt I'll ever go back to it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: March 09, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »
Not a fan of Styx

but a huge fan of Todd Sucherman

Oustanding drummer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #562 on: March 09, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »
What I find goofy about Styx, looking at their set lists over the years, is their predictability.  Yes, they have to play most of the hits, and I am good with that, but why not bust out some cool deep cuts once in a while from the older albums not named Pieces of Eight or The Grand Illusion? When is the last time songs like Born for Adventure, Mother Dear, Lonely Child, This Old Man, Jennifer, Love in the Midnight, Never Say Never or Borrowed Time got regularly featured on a tour, or heck, played at all?  Feels like they could be a lot less predictable. The casual fans would still get Renegade and Come Sail Away and the others, and the diehards who live it up with getting a cool deep cut or two.  I saw the set list of the first show where they played all of The Mission, and when looking at the rest of the set list, they played two covers?  WTF?   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #563 on: March 09, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
When I saw them play all of "The Mission" this was the setlist after the break.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #564 on: March 09, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »
What I find goofy about Styx, looking at their set lists over the years, is their predictability.  Yes, they have to play most of the hits, and I am good with that, but why not bust out some cool deep cuts once in a while from the older albums not named Pieces of Eight or The Grand Illusion? When is the last time songs like Born for Adventure, Mother Dear, Lonely Child, This Old Man, Jennifer, Love in the Midnight, Never Say Never or Borrowed Time got regularly featured on a tour, or heck, played at all?  Feels like they could be a lot less predictable. The casual fans would still get Renegade and Come Sail Away and the others, and the diehards who live it up with getting a cool deep cut or two.  I saw the set list of the first show where they played all of The Mission, and when looking at the rest of the set list, they played two covers?  WTF?

That was probably a rhetorical question, but Lorelei, Suite Madame Blue (a top five Styx song in my book), Boat on the River, Light Up and Lights were in regular rotation in 2019-20.  They did I'm O.K. in 2016-17.  Borrowed Time showed up on the regular in 2001-02, and again for three shows in 2010.  Midnight Ride made one appearance in 2019 and, before that, for a half dozen shows in 2007.  Love in the Midnight made one appearance in 2014.

But yeah...they hit the hits hard.  And I don't think they'll be busting out Jennifer for the "me too" generation.  If setlist.fm is to be believed, they only played that song once on the Crystal Ball tour and once as part of a medley in 1996.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #565 on: March 09, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »

That was probably a rhetorical question, but Lorelei, Suite Madame Blue (a top five Styx song in my book), Boat on the River, Light Up and Lights were in regular rotation in 2019-20. They did I'm O.K. in 2016-17.  Borrowed Time showed up on the regular in 2001-02, and again for three shows in 2010.  Midnight Ride made one appearance in 2019 and, before that, for a half dozen shows in 2007.  Love in the Midnight made one appearance in 2014.

But yeah...they hit the hits hard.  And I don't think they'll be busting out Jennifer for the "me too" generation.  If setlist.fm is to be believed, they only played that song once on the Crystal Ball tour and once as part of a medley in 1996.

Okay, but most of the bolded there are not deep cuts (Lorelei used to always get played, Light Up is a classic rock radio mainstay, Suite Madame Blue was always a live mainstay back in the day). However, that is good to see that some of those others have gotten played.

Good point about Jennifer. :lol  Ballerina is a killer tune with some smoking guitar work, but that is likely too much of a Dennis deep cut to play. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #566 on: March 10, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »

That was probably a rhetorical question, but Lorelei, Suite Madame Blue (a top five Styx song in my book), Boat on the River, Light Up and Lights were in regular rotation in 2019-20. They did I'm O.K. in 2016-17.  Borrowed Time showed up on the regular in 2001-02, and again for three shows in 2010.  Midnight Ride made one appearance in 2019 and, before that, for a half dozen shows in 2007.  Love in the Midnight made one appearance in 2014.

Okay, but most of the bolded there are not deep cuts (Lorelei used to always get played, Light Up is a classic rock radio mainstay, Suite Madame Blue was always a live mainstay back in the day). However, that is good to see that some of those others have gotten played.

Good point about Jennifer. :lol  Ballerina is a killer tune with some smoking guitar work, but that is likely too much of a Dennis deep cut to play.

I agree, but in the Styx world, you don't have to go too deep to be a "deep cut," and I was mainly going for stuff not on Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theater (the first two of which were played in their entirety).  Frankly, I'd love to see something from the Wooden Nickel albums that isn't Lady.  Rock & Roll Feeling would be a great way to open a show, and Man of Miracles and a few others would be good too.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #567 on: March 10, 2021, 03:25:33 PM »
Don't forget Plexiglass Toilet. :P

The Grove of Eglantine is a very nice tune, but given that it's about a vagina, I don't see that one happening.  :lol :lol

Best Thing from the debut is very nice as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #568 on: March 10, 2021, 05:29:58 PM »
I personally feel that their all time greatest song doesn’t get enough attention or setlist attention it deserves.

CASTLE FREAKING WALLS

Yes, they pull it out during complete album runs, but I think it needs to be much more prominent in the setlist than just relegating it to only playing it when they feel like playing all of TGI.

Maybe rotate it with Madame Blue in the “epic closer” portion of the set.

EDIT - And while we’re at it...why not bust out Prelude 12 to intro Madame Blue? My local rock station ALWAYS played them together when busting out that song. The first time I heard Madame Blue without the intro, it was quite the letdown.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #569 on: March 10, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »
Don't forget Plexiglass Toilet. :P

Dude...that song is the shit!   :)

I personally feel that their all time greatest song doesn’t get enough attention or setlist attention it deserves.

CASTLE FREAKING WALLS

Yes, they pull it out during complete album runs, but I think it needs to be much more prominent in the setlist than just relegating it to only playing it when they feel like playing all of TGI.

Maybe rotate it with Madame Blue in the “epic closer” portion of the set.

EDIT - And while we’re at it...why not bust out Prelude 12 to intro Madame Blue? My local rock station ALWAYS played them together when busting out that song. The first time I heard Madame Blue without the intro, it was quite the letdown.

Honestly, I hadn't given Prelude 12 any thought in AGES, but yeah, that would be cool.  The only reason I can think of for not doing it is that it was a JC thing, but whatever.

As far as Castle Walls....  Great song?  Absolutely.  All time greatest?  Nah....  But again, yeah, bust out some more obscure tracks for sure!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #570 on: March 10, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
Castle Walls is definitely most awesome. Glad I got to see it two years ago when DDY was here and played all of The Grand Illusion. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #571 on: May 02, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
New album coming in June, called Crash of the Crown.  If it's even close to as good as The Mission, I will be ecstatic.  :hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: May 06, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: May 06, 2021, 01:54:44 PM »
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new song!! Fuck yes  :hat

The opening part in 5/8 is awesome. 

This has to be another concept album

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #574 on: May 06, 2021, 02:00:16 PM »
I may have posted this before.  But, I was driving behind this car a few years ago and actually pulled into the parking lot behind it because I needed to get a picture.  There are certain bands you think of with people doing customized plates or stickers on their cars to celebrate.  I'm not knocking Styx because I enjoy their music.  But, in the mid 2010's, I never expected to see this.  Good on them for flying the Styx flag!

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #575 on: May 06, 2021, 02:01:35 PM »
Dueling Styx with Dennis' new CD close to release also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzp4FJ0tCM

I don't like The Mission at all.  No reason to listen to it, I hope to like this one better.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: May 06, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
Loved "The Mission" and it's still in rotation. 

DDY's last solo album was pretty good too, although I admit I put it away after a couple of spins and haven't really felt compelled to go back to it.   

I'll probably check out the new one on Amazon.com music but I didn't care enough about the last one to buy it and where this one is "Part 2" I have a feeling it's going to end up the same way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #577 on: May 06, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »
James Young drives a Honda?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #578 on: May 06, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »
JY's voice is starting to sound like a parody, but still an interesting tune.  I am expecting a lot of songs with Tommy on lead vocals still to come. I expect this to be another good one.  :coolio

Offline pg1067

« Reply #579 on: May 06, 2021, 05:51:46 PM »
OH HELL YEAH!!  1ST SONG!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtCpmFDVhII

VERY cool.  Very much a Queen vibe toward the end and definitely has an "overturish" feel to it.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #580 on: May 15, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfL2jy7-Ic

Second Dennis single, this one with Tom Morello.

I liked the first Styx single better than what was on The Mission so hopefully the album will be good.  I know most disagree but for me, No Dennis = No Styx.  Gowan is a solid journeyman, Dennis is an all timer.  Taking Dennis or Tommy out of Styx is like taking Bruce or Steve out of Maiden for me; still good but not the real band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: May 15, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
Dennis took himself out of Styx with his actions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #582 on: May 15, 2021, 09:27:47 PM »

Yep. Even though I am not a fan of the way JY has dogged him at times over the years, and Tommy to a lesser degree, Dennis not being in the band anymore is his own fault. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: May 15, 2021, 09:47:24 PM »

Yep. Even though I am not a fan of the way JY has dogged him at times over the years, and Tommy to a lesser degree, Dennis not being in the band anymore is his own fault.

And he absolutely was the music linchpin.  But, sometimes power gets to bandmates.   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: May 16, 2021, 05:32:32 AM »
It's too bad they can't all kiss and make up.  Hell, let Gowan stay AND bring back DDY.  What a live group that would be.  Gowan could play supplemental keys and piano and sing backing vocals on the DDY material and lead vocals on the stuff from Cyclorama and The Mission and the new album.  It would be a win/win/win.

I don't see it happening, though. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #585 on: June 03, 2021, 09:01:51 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-tommy-shaw-said-no-to-styx-reunion-tour/

Ugh.

At this point, I wish Dennis would just shut up about it. It's been 20+ freaking years.  The band has moved on.  You need to as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: June 03, 2021, 09:13:39 PM »
Dennis made his bed.  Go back to you JY & Tommy actors for your tour.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: June 03, 2021, 09:26:50 PM »
Cause everybody, every STYX fan would like to see that one more time.

I wonder if how true this is.

Shaw went on to say that he is content to let the past remain in the past, choosing instead to surround himself with positivity as he enters the next part of his career. He continued: "Personality-wise, at this stage in my life, I want to be happy. I want to be around people who love me and that have my best interest at heart, and I don't have to fight with.

Amen, Tommy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #588 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:16 PM »
Anyone notice the ship-leaving-the-atmosphere stock footage in the new lyric video?

On the left are screen caps from Transatlantic's "Reaching For The Sky" and on the right, screen caps from the new Styx video.

Guess it's a popular clip to use!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #589 on: June 04, 2021, 05:30:41 AM »
Cause everybody, every STYX fan would like to see that one more time.

I wonder if how true this is.

Shaw went on to say that he is content to let the past remain in the past, choosing instead to surround himself with positivity as he enters the next part of his career. He continued: "Personality-wise, at this stage in my life, I want to be happy. I want to be around people who love me and that have my best interest at heart, and I don't have to fight with.

Amen, Tommy.

I am sure not EVERY Styx fan wants to see it, but I am sure there are plenty of fans who do not see the band anymore who would again if Dennis were back in the band.  I can say I am one of them, while acknowledging that it's Dennis' own fault that he is not in the band anymore and that he needs to get over it.  That said, he is now 74 (I looked it up :lol), so in his mind he has to be thinking he doesn't have many tours or years left, so if a Styx reunion is going to happen, it needs to happen ASAP. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #590 on: June 04, 2021, 06:13:04 AM »
Another new song from the forthcoming Styx record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkR4ZuaSRpI

Seems a lot better than the first one, even with Gowan on lead vocals. ;)

We need some new Styx songs with Tommy on lead vocals soon, though.  :hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: June 04, 2021, 07:12:40 AM »
I like the new song as well. 

Tommy just sounds adamant that it will never happen again.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #592 on: June 04, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
They spent a bit of time discussing this when Tommy and James were on Dan Rather's Big Interview, so Dennis saying he doesn't know why seems disingenuous.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 04, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »
They spent a bit of time discussing this when Tommy and James were on Dan Rather's Big Interview, so Dennis saying he doesn't know why seems disingenuous.

Very true.  It was odd to see Lawrence there when they were getting asked about Dennis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #594 on: June 04, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »

Feels like he is trying to portray himself to the public as the good guy here, like, "Hey, I want the reunion, but the guys won't budge."  And the odd thing, too, is that of the classic lineup, it's not like the rest is intact.  Drummer John died 25 years ago, and bass player Chuck only makes the occasional appearance.  And I am pretty sure the current bass player came into the band after DDY's departure, so they have no prior working relationship.