Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 82004 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #420 on: February 18, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
Tommy Shaw was the opener for the first Rush concert I attended in 1988, the Hold Your Fire tour, before they did the Evening With thing. Did 4 Styx songs and 4 from a his solo record, I think.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: February 18, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »
Michael Schenker opened the HYF show that I saw.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #422 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
That's a nice setlist!

It is!

The guy playing the Tommy Shaw role was definitely really good. 

His band was awesome, especially the "Tommy Shaw" dude.

:tup :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #423 on: February 19, 2019, 08:30:05 AM »
Going to see Styx for the first time this summer. Really looking forward to it. Night Ranger is opening, so hoping for some Damn Yankees love....
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #424 on: February 19, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »
I was at the first show that Dennis did The Grand illusion in its entirety. 7/7/17 at The Arcada in St. Charles, IL. Exactly the 40th anniversary of the album. I had taken my Dad for his 65th and raved about the show the next day on MP's old place. It was a spectacular show and I also raved about his Tommy Shaw.

My Dad has already mentioned they are playing the Rosemont Theater sometime soon but I don't think we'll make that show.

Either way, Dennis puts on an amazing show.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #425 on: February 19, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »
For sure. He has a camaraderie with the other members of the band that wasn't there with Styx the three times I saw them in the 90's, so that was cool to see.  Mr. Roboto is easy to make fun of, but it sure is fun live, and he had the whole crowd singing "I'm Kilroy!" at the end.

And hearing those classic songs like was a good reminder of how well they worked together in their prime. It wasn't "DDY's song is all DDY with the others," or, "Tommy's song is all Tommy with the others." 

-Tommy's Blue Collar Man has the lead organ.
-DDY is all over the place with synth leads and solos in Tommy's Fooling Yourself.
-Tommy has a great guitar solo in DDY's Castle Walls.
-DDY has that great synth intro in JY's Miss America.
-etc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #426 on: February 19, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
Styx was just here.  My bandmate John and his wife went, said it was a great show.  I saw some camera vids, not bad.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #427 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
I would really like to see Styx perform their new album "The Mission" in it's entirety. This may be my favorite Styx album of all time!
 Anyone else on the same page?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #428 on: February 19, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
It's really good, but it can't touch the 4-album run of Equinox through Pieces of Eight.  That said, I might put it in the 5th spot if I had to rank the Styx records.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #429 on: February 19, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
I detest The Mission.  First, the songwriting is generic.  I don't know how much of it was done by Will Evankovich but he was a co-writer on every song.  I don't think Shaw has many good ideas left either.
 I tried but the songs just aren't that good.  It's been a year or so since I bothered so maybe I'll try again with a clean slate.  No way is it touching the classics though.

I also can't get past the irony of Shaw and JY laughing at DDYs robots in Kilroy and now Shaw and JY are part of a mission to Mars?  Seriously?

For me there's not been a good Styx album since Kilroy.  Some good songs since then, for sure, but no good albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #430 on: February 19, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
The hypocrisy of Tommy and JY goes without saying, but Locomotive, Radio Silence and Red Storm are all great songs (and most of the rest is good).

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #431 on: February 19, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »
The hypocrisy of Tommy and JY goes without saying, but Locomotive, Radio Silence and Red Storm are all great songs (and most of the rest is good).
I do like Radio Silence a lot.  And some others are fairly good.  But compared to The Grand Illusion through Kilroy Was Here?  It's not even close in quality for me.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #432 on: February 20, 2019, 02:26:10 AM »
For me there's not been a good Styx album since Kilroy.  Some good songs since then, for sure, but no good albums.

Comments like this always make me wonder:
1. Are you aware of Cyclorama?
2. Have you listened to it
3. Really, are you sure?
4. Did you check that you didn’t accidentally put some other CD in the player and listen to that and not Cyclorama?

That album has always felt to me like the epitome of the perfect rock album. It just captivates you and blows you away from the first listen and then only gets better every time you hear it. Just one undeniably knock-out song after another.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #433 on: February 20, 2019, 02:35:34 AM »
I only meant for that comment to be funny, not condescending in any way haha

Just baffled how anyone can not love one of my favorite albums  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #434 on: February 20, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
No kidding Dennis.  Man I wish it didn't take so long to get another album after Cyclorama.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #435 on: February 20, 2019, 08:04:08 AM »
I detest The Mission.  First, the songwriting is generic.  I don't know how much of it was done by Will Evankovich but he was a co-writer on every song.  I don't think Shaw has many good ideas left either.
 I tried but the songs just aren't that good.  It's been a year or so since I bothered so maybe I'll try again with a clean slate.  No way is it touching the classics though.

I also can't get past the irony of Shaw and JY laughing at DDYs robots in Kilroy and now Shaw and JY are part of a mission to Mars?  Seriously?

I didn't like the album on the first spin, but I was busy cleaning house with dishes clattering and other distractions. Once I finally sat down and gave it my undivided attention, the light came on.  The songs are really good throughout, and the sound is very well done.
  They recorded this album using nothing but analog so it has that classic rock sound and the mixing and production is top notch. This album is a grower, so I do recommend giving it another chance. Radio silence, The Locomotive, For the Greater Good, The Depot, and Red Star, are all great tracks. The whole album tells a fun story that isn't cheesy at all. Each song stands alone even though it's a concept album. The songs actually have double meaning which can be symbolic to situations in life.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #436 on: February 20, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
I do like Radio Silence a lot.  And some others are fairly good.  But compared to The Grand Illusion through Kilroy Was Here?  It's not even close in quality for me.

That is interesting that Cornerstone through Kilroy Was Here is part of what seems to be your favoite run, but not Crystal Ball and Equinox. 

3. Really, are you sure?
4. Did you check that you didn’t accidentally put some other CD in the player and listen to that and not Cyclorama?

That album has always felt to me like the epitome of the perfect rock album. It just captivates you and blows you away from the first listen and then only gets better every time you hear it. Just one undeniably knock-out song after another.

Cyclorama is about 4-5 tracks too long (most of which are on the back half of the record), and the childish swipe song at DDY (that completely rips off the Damn Yankees Where You Going Now? melody) should have been discarded, but there are some really good songs on it for sure, and of course one great one in One with Everything.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #437 on: February 20, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
3. Really, are you sure?

Cyclorama is about 4-5 tracks too long (most of which are on the back half of the record), and the childish swipe song at DDY (that completely rips off the Damn Yankees Where You Going Now? melody) should have been discarded, but there are some really good songs on it for sure, and of course one great one in One with Everything.

Speaking of Cyclorama...

I was not pay attention to Styx when this album came out, and I didn't hear "One with Everything" until a few years ago.  I immediately tried to buy Cyclorama, but it's not available on either Amazon or iTunes.  Seems to be the only Styx album that's not available.  Am I missing something or what's the deal with this?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2019, 11:40:27 AM »
I have Cyclorama, but haven't spinned in a while. It is a good album and "These Are the Times" is easily my favorite track on the album, such a cool catchy chorus and break section! 
 The Mission is a overall better record, but Cyclorama has it's moments.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #439 on: February 21, 2019, 08:02:47 AM »
I like Cyclorama more than The Mission. To the best of my memory it has about half an album's worth offer really good stuff but also a lot of filler. To better fair to it comparing it to the 70s and 80s albums maybe I should chop it down to 40-45 minutes and I'd like it more.

I'm also biased against it do to the lyrical content (Do Things My Way, Bourgeois Pig, Kiss Your Ass Goodbye) which I believe are u necessary slams against DDY.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: February 21, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
Cornerstone is an interesting album.

It was definitely a drop-off, but it is still a good album.  Love in the Midnight, Borrowed Time and Boat on a River are all very good songs, and I like Why Me and Never Say Never both quite a bit as well.  Lights is solid, and even though it's a wuss bag song, Babe is very nice.  First Time and Eddie are throwaways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #441 on: June 02, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
Rumor has it that Styx is working on a new album. If it is even close to as good as The Mission, I will be pleased.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #442 on: June 02, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »
Rumor has it that Styx is working on a new album. If it is even close to as good as The Mission, I will be pleased.
well, AFAIK they currently are on tour until the beginning of September, so I'm sure they're not making one now. (I'd welcome a new album though nonetheless, if it's played well)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: June 02, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »

It was far too long between the last 2 albums. I look forward to it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2019, 05:01:16 PM »
Agreed, The Mission is fantastic!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #445 on: July 29, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
Went to go see Styx for the first time this weekend, with Night Ranger opening. It was a great bill!

With Night Ranger, I knew what to expect. I had seem them headline a club show about 10 or 11 years ago, and it was just a great hard rock show of hits and covers. This time around, it was all their stuff in a 45-minute headline set. The stuff everyone knew. The nice additions, however, were a performance of the actual song "Night Ranger," from their first album, Dawn Patrol, and a great performance of "High Enough" by the Damn Yankees. I had suspected they'd ask Tommy Shaw from Styx to come up and do it, and he did. It was a lot of fun, and great to see Tommy Styx and Jack Blades together doing the song. I really miss Damn Yankees. They were a great band. Here's "High Enough" from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvAu802z6cg

I was familiar with Night Ranger, but the last time I saw them, they had Joel Hoekstra on guitar next to Brad Gillis. This time it was Keri Kelli. I forgot just how good he is. He took about half the leads, and I was really impressed with his chops. Brad was great, as he always is.

And a note for those who haven't watched my vids. I don't really care about quality all that much, etc. All my vids are me enjoying the show, and I try to capture moments that mean something for me. Its a little jumpy, but the audio is fine. You catch me singing at points, deal with it.  :lol  I'm not off key or anything. Just having a blast singing along to my favorite tunes.

Styx came on next, and man, what a solid 90 minutes of classics, and some more recent material to boot. Here was the set (SPOILERS BELOW):

Gone Gone Gone
Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
The Grand Illusion
Lady
Radio Silence
Miss America
Crystal Ball
Red Storm
Light Up
Rockin' the Paradise
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
Too Much Time on My Hands
Khedive
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) - partial cover
Come Sail Away

Encore:

Mr. Roboto
Renegade

I didn't take any video, as this was my first time seeing Styx, and I wanted to take it in. I came away really impressed by them. The set list, for a newb, was well balanced with stuff I remember from the radio, and well chosen other cuts. As someone who really appreciates a band finding that sweet spot with classics and support of new material, I think Styx nailed it. It all worked together well.

The vocals were just incredible. Just a clinic on harmony. I knew that DDY has been gone for 20 years, and Larry really delivered. I mean, in retrospect, I can hear small differences, but he was full of showmanship and great range. And his showmanship didn't appear TOO over the top. It was what I was expecting it to be. JY was much more flamboyant and cheesy than I thought he'd be (remember, I have no frame of reference), but it worked, and it was funny. And Tommy, man, Tommy F'ing Shaw. I've been a big fan of Damn Yankees for decades. Loved his voice and playing, and he didn't disappoint whatsoever. That voice hasn't lost a thing. I didn't realize Ricky Phillips was such an accomplished musician on bass either.

I had a great time, and would absolutely see Styx again. As I said, I'm a newb, and don't own ANY Styx material, so I ordered up Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, and Mission. I considered going to see DDY when he plays in the general vicinity in October, but looking at his current set, and the one from Styx, I think there is too much overlap for me to really be into it. But I was extremely pleased by Styx (and of course, Night Ranger), and look forward to seeing them again, and being a bit more familiar with the catalog by then.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:12:29 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #446 on: July 29, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
Awesome!  I haven't seen Styx since 2003, and I saw Dennis twice in 2008 and 2010.  They're one of my all time favorites, having seen the reunion tour in 1996 and the 20th anniversary of the Grand Illusion tour in 1997.  I then saw them twice without Dennis and thought that they were a much harder rocking band, playing the tunes with a bit faster tempos.

I'm not sure I'd go see Styx again, unless it was a Styx/Night Ranger/Nugent tour, because that would guarantee 3 of the four Yankees would likely do a song or two.   I can say that I've seen them 4 times, plus Dennis twice.  That's enough for me, unless Dennis comes to another one of my local, free summer festivals again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: July 29, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »
Awe man, Red Storm must have been amazing to see live!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
WOOOT!  Seeing Styx on a Saturday night in November playing all of The Mission!! :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: November 10, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #450 on: November 10, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »
Nice. Gowan's blah vocals and embarrassing stage presence aside :P, good show?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: November 10, 2019, 07:42:53 AM »
Lol. He was great. Bonus was Chuck Panozzo played that night and I got to see in full "The Mission."

Only a handful of shows they played it in full.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #452 on: November 10, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »
Seeing all of The Mission would be cool.  And it's not a long album, so plenty of time left for them to play most of the hits, I am sure.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »
Yup. 43 minute first set then hit after hit after hit.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #454 on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:15 PM »