Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83121 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
He is.  His voice in lead vocals are more annoying than Gowan.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #386 on: August 01, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
I'm not saying Tommy Shaw blows or anything like that. I actually like him, although I do think Damn Yankees blow big time.

It's just that we are not even talking about Styx if it weren't for Dennis DeYoung.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: August 01, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
And I agree Tim but at some point,  even a leader hijacks a band to the point that it's unbearable.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #388 on: August 01, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
I'm just butting my nose into your conversation. Yeah, he seemed like a douche Styx-wise.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2018, 09:20:55 PM »
Here is a comparison Joe will get: DDY reminds me of Andy Partridge. Both are funny and charming when you hear/see them in interviews, yet both are/were most likely complete nightmares to work with at times because of their insistence of getting their way.  And getting their way was almost always for the betterment of the band, as history has shown in the cases of both Styx and XTC.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2018, 05:17:38 AM »
Absolutely.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2018, 05:50:12 AM »
No idea who Andy Partridge is. Is he part of the family?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »
Main songwriter of the band XTC. One of very few musicians I can call 'genius'.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2018, 05:52:45 AM »
I don't think I've heard a single note of XTC.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: August 02, 2018, 06:21:42 AM »
I don't think I've heard a single note of XTC.

Since you won't branch out musically, you'll hate it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #395 on: August 02, 2018, 06:24:42 AM »
Did they have anything popular I might know? Ever?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: August 02, 2018, 06:56:22 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: August 02, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
No idea who Andy Partridge is. Is he part of the family?

This was my first thought as well.

If I have ever heard any XTC, I am not aware of it. I think I get them mixed up with the band with the three black girls, one of them was married to Andre Rison and tried to burn down their house.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: August 02, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
That's Tender Loving Care.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: August 02, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Something else I am unfamiliar with.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #402 on: August 02, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
I remember the name XTC, and I remember "Senses Working Overtime" from the heyday of MTV, but I probably haven't heard the song in 35 years and wouldn't have connected it as an XTC song if I hadn't just googled it.

Anyway, interesting discussion about Styx.

When I first got into the band, I naturally gravitated to JY because he was the "rocker" of the group, and "Miss America" was (and still is) catchy.  "Put Me On" also kicks ass (although that's credited to DDY, Shaw and Young, so who knows who wrote what).  My favorite all time Styx song -- "Queen of Spades" -- is also a Young/DDY composition.  But that's pretty much it in terms of JY contributions -- either vocally or songwriting.  My list of five star Styx songs would be the following:

Suite Madame Blue                 DDY
Put Me On                              DDY/Shaw/Young
Crystal Ball                             Shaw
The Grand Illuision                  DDY
Fooling Yourself                       Shaw
Come Sail Away                      DDY
Man in the Wilderness              Shaw
Castle Walls                            DDY
Sing for the Day                      Shaw
Blue Collar Man                       Shaw
Queen of Spades                     Young/DDY
Renegade                               Shaw
Pieces of Eight                         DDY
The Best of Times                    DDY
One with Everything                 Burtnik/Gowan/Shaw/Sucherman/Young

JY was/is sort of the Ringo Starr of the group, and a lot of his songs are sort of comic relief.

I don't know much about who contributed what beyond the writing credits as shown on the album (the only thing beyond that I've ever heard was the story about DDY suggesting that "Renegade" be made into a rocker), but I don't think anyone would seriously disagree that Styx wouldn't have succeeded without DDY.  It would be interesting to see what might have been if JC hadn't left the band, but I doubt it would have been anything significant.

The other interesting thing to think about is the Panozzo brothers.  Neither had a single songwriting credit (I don't think), which means that, when Styx stopped selling albums and wasn't playing live, they had no income (unless the band organization was set up to distribute songwriting income).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: August 02, 2018, 11:41:04 AM »
One with Everything is such a killer tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #404 on: August 02, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
The Panozzo brothers get cred for being original members, but that is where it ends.  You could have swapped them out with just about any other average drummer and bass player and we would've never known the difference.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0invUXXsRAQ

Good grief. I'd rather listen to David Partridge.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Sam, you know that's a lie.  David Partridge isn't metal enough. :lol

True. You know Tim and his metal. But that was one damn funny quote.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: August 02, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
 :lol

I guess that lets everybody know how old we are. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #409 on: August 02, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
The Panozzo brothers get cred for being original members, but that is where it ends.  You could have swapped them out with just about any other average drummer and bass player and we would've never known the difference.

I always thought John was a pretty good drummer.  Too bad he couldn't get help before it was too late.  I remember when DDY, Shaw and Young started putting out solo albums, my friend and I jokingly talked about what a Chuck Panozzo album might sound like.  It always baffled me that never ever had a single songwriting credit.

Also, who the heck is David Partridge?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »
Secured great seats to see Dennis DeYoung in February where he'll be playing all of The Grand Illusion. :coolio

Meanwhile, Styx is going to tour with Larry the Cable Guy.  For real.

At this rate, DDY should never want back in the band after what is sure to be an embarrassing debacle.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #411 on: November 29, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
Wow, that's actually a good idea. Should increase ticket sales.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: November 29, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »
Wow, that's actually a good idea. Should increase ticket sales.

Agreed.  DDY playing all of The Grand Illusion will definitely bring out more fans. :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #413 on: November 29, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
Secured great seats to see Dennis DeYoung in February where he'll be playing all of The Grand Illusion. :coolio

Awesome. Saw him in....um...EPCOT  :lol  a few years ago. His band was awesome, especially the "Tommy Shaw" dude.

Meanwhile, Styx is going to tour with Larry the Cable Guy.  For real.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #414 on: November 30, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
Hmmm...doesn't look like Mr. The Cable Guy will be on the bill at the venue near me.  That's a good thing.  Given the prices, I think I'll maintain my position that I don't really want to see Styx without DDY.

And DDY isn't playing near me, so I don't have to make that decision.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2019, 07:26:36 AM »
The DDY show last night was really good!  His band is damn good and getting a 2nd keyboard player was really smart as it allows DDY to really play the front man role at times while the 2nd keyboard player handles the keyboard parts, instead of DDY being stuck behind his the whole show.  The guy playing the Tommy Shaw role was definitely really good.  DDY can still sing his ass off. Not bad for a guy who is now 72! :eek :eek

Set list:

The Grand Illusion
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) - w/ Sing for the Day teaser at the end
Superstars
Come Sail Away
Miss America
A Man in the Wilderness
Castle Walls
The Grand Finale
Lady
Lorelei
Blue Collar Man (preceded by a short organ solo by DDY)
Mr. Roboto
Too Much Time on My Hands
Babe
Suite Madame Blue
The Best of Times (segued into next song)
A.D. 1958 - w/ final vocal excerpt from The End (The Beatles)
Renegade
Come Sail Away outro reprise

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
That's a nice setlist!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #417 on: February 17, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
For sure. The only glaring omission was Crystal Ball, but even though he played a handful or so of Tommy songs, that one seems like much more of a Tommy song than the others, so I get its exclusion.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #419 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »
That's a nice setlist!

It is!

The guy playing the Tommy Shaw role was definitely really good. 

His band was awesome, especially the "Tommy Shaw" dude.