Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83104 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »
If Dennis Deyoung wasn't such an egomaniac, he'd still be in the band.  Sometimes a band says, enough is enough.  Also Lawrence Gowan is great live and he will not dissapoint.  Though, I'd rather have a new album!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »
Time for more Styx talk!

The talk about Cyclorama in the DT thread the other day has me starting the day with it today. :tup :tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
I found myself a Pieces of Eight Picture-Disc a few months ago at 1 of my local record stores. I pass up on most of the Styx Vinyl I see, as there's loads of it that show in the Used Bins. But Picture Discs look cool and are pretty rare.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
Mad love for Styx. Two albums, Pieces of Eight and Grand Illusion were in my Top 50. Nuff said.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
You know... I was always a 'radio' or 'classic' hit fan of theirs.  It wasn't until RJ's Top 50 that I finally got the full albums.  What the fuck was I thinking??  Why didn't I do that long ago??

:youfail:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
I own 3 Styx CDs:
Pieces Of Eight
The Grand Illusion
Paradise Theater

I saw them twice in the early/mid 90's, on the Return To Paradise (freaking awesome) and The Grand Illusion themed show.

I'm good with that. Don't really have an interest in the current goings on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
Styx was my "gateway" prog band.  As mentioned upthread, I started with The Grand Illusion.  What attracted me was that their songs had synths doing actual synth things alongside the guitars, and the arrangements had some meat to them.  "Fooling Yourself" has the awesome Minimoog intro in 3/4, then the song is 4/4, and the break is in 7/4.  "Come Sail Away" has the synth breakdown where they go from C to Ab, and half the band plays (3+3+2)/8 while the other half plays (4+4)/8.  "Castle Walls" has yet another synth breakdown that turns it into a mini-epic.  As a budding keyboard player, this was some cool shit.

As I worked back through their catalogue I found that, as with many bands, they started off proggier, but had reached a balance between their prog and pop sides to where they could actually sell albums.  I stuck with them through Pieces of Eight and Cornerstone, but they were already starting to lose me.  It was a combination of them going more pop, and me leaning more towards "real prog".  By time Styx actually released their semi-concept album Paradise Theater, I was gone.  The radio hits still sounded good, but I couldn't sit through albums of theirs anymore.  And Kilroy was Here with "Mr. Roboto" finally turned me off of them completely.  I hate that song.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
"Mr. Roboto" finally turned me off of them completely.  I hate that song.

Who doesn't?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
That's the thing.  I don't know a single person who likes that song, but it was a huge hit.  Yeah, it's catchy as hell, but seriously, it should take more than that to be such a gigantic runaway hit.  (I know... it doesn't.)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
If Dennis Deyoung wasn't such an egomaniac, he'd still be in the band.  Sometimes a band says, enough is enough.  Also Lawrence Gowan is great live and he will not dissapoint.  Though, I'd rather have a new album!!!!

I saw them in Lowell, MA on this tour and they were outstanding.   One of the best concerts I've ever seen.  Lawrence Gowan is an incredible musician and performer.  None of us at the show thought it would have been any better or worse with DDY. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »

As I worked back through their catalogue I found that, as with many bands, they started off proggier, but had reached a balance between their prog and pop sides to where they could actually sell albums.  I stuck with them through Pieces of Eight and Cornerstone, but they were already starting to lose me.  It was a combination of them going more pop, and me leaning more towards "real prog".  By time Styx actually released their semi-concept album Paradise Theater, I was gone.  The radio hits still sounded good, but I couldn't sit through albums of theirs anymore.  And Kilroy was Here with "Mr. Roboto" finally turned me off of them completely.  I hate that song.

I enjoyed Paradise Theater quite a bit, but yeah, Kilroy Was Here is a steaming pile of poo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
That's the thing.  I don't know a single person who likes that song, but it was a huge hit.  Yeah, it's catchy as hell, but seriously, it should take more than that to be such a gigantic runaway hit.  (I know... it doesn't.)

Well, it was cool at the time, and remember that it was 1983 when it was big, and that was kind of a, eh, different time for music. :lol

And I don't hate Mr. Roboto.  Sure, the robot thing is rather dumb, but musically it is pretty damn good. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »
I totally agree.  If I were to pick two Styx albums to see in their entirety, The Grand Illusion would be one, and I'd probably take Crystal Ball over Pieces of Eight, but Pieces of Eight is also very good, and from the same "classic" period, so that's cool too.

But doing it without DDY is silly.  I know... he's gone, he ain't coming back, the band has moved on, deal with it.  But it's still wrong to me.

Aw. :heart

You and I have had discourse about this before - you cannot convince me that it isn't JY and Tommy in the wrong here, especially since (at that time) Dennis had a light sensitivity issue that took a long time to diagnose.  JY basically called Dennis a crackpot for going to so many doctors and they (JY and Tommy) pretty much demanded that either Dennis go on tour ASAP for Brave New World or he was out of the band.

And what have they done since?  1 original album.  ONE.  In 10 years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
My gut tells me that Young and Shaw would have given DDY more leeway and time to get better if he wasn't such a pain in the ass in the first place, but they took that as an opportunity to kick him out of the band and move on. 

And yeah, doing only one original album in 10 years since is pretty poor.  They have basically become a nostalgia band with a poor man's Dennis DeYoung doing his keyboard parts and singing now.  If others enjoy him on stage, that is great, but when my brother and I saw them on the Styx/Yes tour two summers ago, we were both almost embarrassed at how corny Gowan's on stage antics were.  I lost count at how many times we looked at each other with that "Holy crap, look at how ridiculous that guy looks" look. :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
That's funny that you say that, because after either the first tour with Gowan or the first few shows JY/Tommy told Gowan to tone his schtick down.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:58 PM »
My gut tells me that Young and Shaw would have given DDY more leeway and time to get better if he wasn't such a pain in the ass in the first place, but they took that as an opportunity to kick him out of the band and move on. 

That's how it looks to me as well.  The band was fractured anyway, but conceivably could have held it together for another album/tour cycle.  There are various versions of how exactly it went down, but basically DDY's illness came up at a time when it made the most sense from a business perspective to hit the road and promote the new album, so that's what they did.  DDY couldn't go, so they got someone else.

Should this have meant he was permanently out of the band?  Probably not.  But there's no question that Styx was not the cohesive unit that they were in the late 70's, early 80's, so hey, it happened.  To Tommy and JY, it probably seemed a positive move for the band and they never looked back.

And yeah, doing only one original album in 10 years since is pretty poor.  They have basically become a nostalgia band with a poor man's Dennis DeYoung doing his keyboard parts and singing now.  If others enjoy him on stage, that is great, but when my brother and I saw them on the Styx/Yes tour two summers ago, we were both almost embarrassed at how corny Gowan's on stage antics were.  I lost count at how many times we looked at each other with that "Holy crap, look at how ridiculous that guy looks" look. :lol

I saw Styx do a live thing on cable TV maybe a year ago, and Gowan (if that's who it was) was very silly.  Made a huge show of playing the solo from "Fooling Yourself" backwards.  The fast 3/4 stuff might have been impressive, but it was the slow 7/4 solo in the middle which, let's face it, most third-graders could play.  Did a lot of overdramatic movements with his arms while playing, but now that I think about it, DDY did the same thing.  I think a lot of keyboard players have trouble "putting on a show" because they're anchored to one spot.  Even if a guitarist stands still, he can do windmills and look pretty cool.  A keyboard player doing exaggerated arm movements and squirming around while he plays just looks stupid.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
I think Cyclorama is a good album, although I haven't felt the need to listen to it in years. To me the great era of Styx starts with "Equinox" and ends with "Pieces of Eight". "Cornerstone" lacks a little to me as does "Paradise Theater", although they are good records.

I saw Styx on the "Pieces" tour and the "Cornerstone" tour, which was great. I then saw them I think in 2007 opening up for Boston. They were a good, well oiled machine then too, even though JY's face has been pulled back so much he looks like he is 15.

I would love to see DDY with them one more time, even though Gowan doees a nice job, it's not DDY.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »
I like a few songs from the first four albums (Ladyyyyyy!), but most of the stuff I like is from Equinox-Kilroy Was Here. I don't really remember liking Edge Of The Century or Cyclorama very much.

Only album I'm missing is Brave New World, and whatever new material was on Regeneration.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
Let me just chime in and say I ****LOVE**** Mr. Roboto....so now you can say you know someone who loves that song. 

I also think KWH gets a bad rap...  I got a little sick of Don't Let It End, but Heavy Metal Poisoning and Cold War are good songs...there are a few others.   I have to go refresh my memory.   I havn't listened to any Styx in a very long time.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
Let me just chime in and say I ****LOVE**** Mr. Roboto....so now you can say you know someone who loves that song. 

I love it too.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
I do agree that it is so disappointing that they've only released that one album.  This line up kicks ass but in this day and age, none of their demographic buys albums anymore.  Sad to say.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline masterthes

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
Count me in as a Roboto fan

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:32 AM »
See... I think I love some of the stuff from the first four albums more than The Grand Illusion, Crystal Ball and Cornerstone combined.  They weren't doing anything earth-shattering, but they had their own twist on prog and it really shows/shines on the older albums.  Their last really true "prog" album was Pieces of Eight. :heart

Okay.  Now.  Let's tackle Kilroy.  Eeeeghhh.... okay.  Other than Mr. Roboto (which I'll explain here in a jif why I've never liked it), Kilroy was a halfway decent album.  The songs jammin isn't remembering are High Time, Double Life, and Just Get Through This Night.  Double Life was SO kick ass, as was Just Get Through This Night.  I could also pretty much tolerate Dennis' scat routine on High Time to a certain degree, plus the horns were more than tolerable in my book thanks to some of my favorites from Cornerstone and Paradise Theater (Why Me and Lonely People, to name just two).

Deb's Roboto story (such as it is)--so... I get into Styx HARDCORE when I was 12, back in the late summer of 1982.  The obsession was so bad I saved up just about all of my allowance so I could get Paradise Theater back to Styx I, minus Man of Miracles.  I DUG just about everything I bought, and was really looking forward to their new album (when I heard about them working on it, that is).  Back in those days, my brother and I would have this silly game that we would play where we would try to predict what a band's new album cover would look like.  I had Kilroy pretty much pegged... except for the robots, that is...

Anyhoo - Mr. Roboto was of course the first single from Kilroy.  I damn near threw my radio out of my bedroom window I was so upset.  THEN, I come to find out after the album comes out that Dennis cut his hair!  OMG!!! :omg: :lol

So... as a 12 going on 13 year old with a MASSIVE crush on Dennis... well, that pretty much threw my world pear-shaped for a while. :lol

Fast forward to 1994.... Dennis was touring as a part of Jesus Christ Superstar (playing Pilate) and he made a morning radio station stop in Houston that a friend of mine taped.  Now, Dennis is a funny fellow anyway.  His short parody of Mr. Roboto had me cracking the fuck UP.  So... since he has a good sense of humor about it AND it was the 80s to boot, I'll give him a pass.  But JUST one. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 07:43:14 AM »
Those early, early Styx albums were interesting.  I'll admit, I don't listen to them very often, but I remember thinking that they wanted to do more than they were truly capable of.  Dennis clearly was always the prog side of the band, things like "Movement for the Common Man", "Krakatoa", and "Little Fugue in G" showed how he was trying to figure out how to fuse classical and rock.  It wasn't always successful, but I'll give him props for trying.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »
The early Styx albums really were ambitious failures; Styx was a band that really benefited from trimming off the excess and keeping songs between 4-6 minutes and making them just pop enough to be accessible but just proggy enough to be interesting. I'll never quite get what happened between Pieces of Eight-which is the closest Styx came to being a heavy metal band-and Cornerstone, where the band is so laid back they're horizontal. That to me was the thing I never got, going from Renegade to Babe in a year. Paradise Theater was a nice compromise between their heavier and poppier sides, and Kilroy Is Here...oh boy.

Here's the thing: I actually didn't MIND the album. Yes, even Mr. Roboto. It's silly and earnest and over the top, but it's a concept album, a full blown ROCK OPERA as they were known back then, when music was basically becoming all about image and four minute music videos, and it deserves some credit for that. But good lord, have you guys seen the concert from that tour? It played on MTV, and, oh, god, was it cringeworthy with all the acting between songs with everyone playing characters. That being said, it also provides me with a lasting memory of my youth. I was at a party as a teenager, and it was, shockingly, one that actually lasted the night, despite having a ton of young people there drinking and playing loud music. You know how most high school parties went; you invited 500 of your closest friends, played music at 120 decibels, and were actually shocked when the police showed up to shut it down. This party, though, was about 40 people, spread out through out the house and the yard, having just enough fun to be a party, and in the den, I fell in with about six people who were watching the Kilroy Was Here concert that they'd taped off MTV. I started chatting with one of them, a kind of bookish looking girl with long hair, big glasses, and a kind of hippy sensibility about her. She'd said something about how she was a little annoyed at her boyfriend because he was outside rather than hanging with her. Whatever, she was fun to talk to and MAN is this Styx concert silly.

Anyway, we talked, bantered, had fun, laughed at the guy air guitaring just like JY playing the end solo on Renegade, started throwing lines from movies at each other, and finally I said, in a flamboyant, movie star fashion, "Kiss me, dahlin'!"

And she proceeded to give young Jaq his first french kiss ever, and continue to do so in various places throughout the house, while her boyfriend was outside, drunkenly pushing a friend of mine's car down the street in an attempt to make him think his car had been stolen, a effort doomed to failure since my friend was outside watching them push the car.

So yeah...despite being silly, I am fond of Kilroy Was Here.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »
-snip-
So yeah...despite being silly, I am fond of Kilroy Was Here.  :lol

These kind of stories are the best reason to read music forums. Thanks Jaq!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »
Then you need to head over to the MTV song thread, where I've become INFAMOUS for those sort of stories.  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »
Jaq, you pretty much win the internet. Your stories are pure gold

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
I'll never quite get what happened between Pieces of Eight-which is the closest Styx came to being a heavy metal band-and Cornerstone, where the band is so laid back they're horizontal. That to me was the thing I never got, going from Renegade to Babe in a year.

Different writers.  Dennis wrote "Babe" and while he was the prog side of the band, he was also the sappy, cheesy love song guy.  Tommy wrote "Renegade".  Tommy and JY have always been the straight-on rockers.  My favorite Styx songs are the ones where you can tell they collaborated on the arrangements, regardless of who wrote it.  They hit a really nice balance from Crystal Ball through Pieces of Eight.  Most songs from that period are pretty great.  Some weak ones, but in general it's prime stuff.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd take the rock over the cheese, which is why DDY leaving was not the death knell that many thought it would be.  By that point, there were plenty of great rockers in their catalogue, throw in the obligatory DDY songs ("Lady", "Come Sail Away") sung by some guy who sounds just like him, and you've got a great concert.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
Jaq, you pretty much win the internet. Your stories are pure gold

This x infinity. :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
I got my frist french kiss during a cheesy 80s concert video

Almost as impressive as me getting my first french kiss during the ultimate cheesy 80s movie: 'They Live.'
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
The best part of that story, which I neglected to point out, was that what I said was merely in the spirit of movie lines we were quoting at each other. I wasn't asking her to kiss me or expecting her to, but man, I enjoyed it while it lasted!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
Those early, early Styx albums were interesting.  I'll admit, I don't listen to them very often, but I remember thinking that they wanted to do more than they were truly capable of.  Dennis clearly was always the prog side of the band, things like "Movement for the Common Man", "Krakatoa", and "Little Fugue in G" showed how he was trying to figure out how to fuse classical and rock.  It wasn't always successful, but I'll give him props for trying.

I so WISH they could've expanded upon "Movement for the Common Man" - IMO, they really had something with that, and I believe it was the longest song in their discog.  And sure - there were hits and misses on the first four albums, but like I said... they sound the most prog there (besides Pieces of Eight, IMO).

Jaq - the man, the myth, the legend. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
/bows. Thank you, thank you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »
I got my frist french kiss during a cheesy 80s concert video

Almost as impressive as me getting my first french kiss during the ultimate cheesy 80s movie: 'They Live.'

SUch a romantic movie! :lol
Was that the movie with Roddy Piper?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol