Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83426 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #315 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
After watching the dvd, the song "I'm Ok" kind of has a Alice Cooper/Desmond Child vibe to it. Lol, Styx was ahead of their time!    :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline T-ski

« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
It's pretty hard to narrow down Styx favorites, since so many from that time period are so good, but Castle Walls would have to be in my top 5.   Maybe even top 3. Maybe even higher... I love it that much. :hat

don't know a lot of Styx outside the radio songs, checked this one out then had to see which came first, this or the Halloween theme.  Seems John Carpenter may have stolen the keyboard solo from this song.  :biggrin:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
It's pretty hard to narrow down Styx favorites, since so many from that time period are so good, but Castle Walls would have to be in my top 5.   Maybe even top 3. Maybe even higher... I love it that much. :hat

don't know a lot of Styx outside the radio songs, checked this one out then had to see which came first, this or the Halloween theme.  Seems John Carpenter may have stolen the keyboard solo from this song.  :biggrin:

Haha, I remember thinking that the first few times I heard Castle Walls.  It's definitely similar.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #318 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
I don't want to take anything away from the "other" guys. But DDY was the biggest reason of Styx success. The arrival of Shaw gave them an amazing boost because of his youth, is great stage presence and also he came with solid song writing as well as being a solid musician. I don't like to see Dennis out of the band. It's just not the same. Just like it is with Roger Hogson of Supertramp. It just can't be ever the same. But it happened and Styx tours constantly each year giving fans what they want with top notch performances. And Dennis do great shows, he still has a great voice and his popularity is intact.

It's not the same but both are worth it and Styx last album is surprisingly very good.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
I honestly rather watch DDY's band. I saw them live and they were incredible. And the live album he released a couplethree years ago was awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #320 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
No way Jose. Look at the last Styx album with him.  Brave New World.  Tell me one DD song you listen to?

Dennis got too power hungry and it even affected his songwriting.   Shmalty isn't my thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
I've never heard a single note of anything they did after Kilroy. :lol

But his last live album is amazing. And the dude in his band that does Tommy is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #322 on: August 14, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
Shaw didn't exactly bring his 'A' game to Brave New World either (although most of the good songs on it were his).  But it's unfair to criticize any of the members for that album, considering they were totally splintered at that point and the record was anything but a true band effort.

However, red barchetta's point about DeYoung being the biggest reason for Styx's success is dead accurate, and I defy anyone to argue otherwise.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
No one could argue that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #324 on: August 14, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
With the exception of Goodbye Roseland (which has a resonance that is hard not to like), the songs DDY contributed to Brave New World were...not good.  High Crimes & Misdemeanors is laughably bad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #325 on: August 14, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »
There's only one Brave New World anyway...Iron Maiden's!  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »
I absolutely love his work.  At the end. I just thought he was missing his core audience which was us.  I was ready for the change.

I'm just sad thst Styx only released 2 original studio albums in 15 years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: August 14, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »
Yeah. Sad because it's at least one too many.

I know, I know...bitch slap!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #328 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
Yeah. Sad because it's at least one too many.

I know, I know...bitch slap!

Go listen to The Mission with an open mind and prepare to be shocked.

I'm just sad thst Styx only released 2 original studio albums in 15 years.

On the one hand, it is disappointing, but on the other hand, at least they waited till they had something really good to record, instead of churning out a bunch of mediocre albums just for the sake of releasing something new.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
I look at it another way.  They were too busy making money touring every year.  The problem these days with classic rock bands is their revenue is touring.

I just love bands touring behind new music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »

Go listen to The Mission with an open mind and prepare to be shocked.

I was just joking. The Mission is very impressive.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »
There ya go.  :coolio

As for the touring, I actually wonder how well they do touring nowadays.  They always have to tour with one or two other older acts to draw a sizable crowd at all, and often times are not even the main act (they were 2nd billing this summer to...REO Speedwagon, oof).  I mean, I am sure it is enough to make a living, but it's not like they are raking it in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2017, 09:02:50 PM »
But that's the point.   They make a living.  Albums these days don't make money.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
I actually like all the Dennis songs on BNW. While There's Still Time, Fallen Angel, and Goodbye to Roseland are all fantastic ballads, and I even like Great Expectations and High Crimes (even though I totally understand that it is not a very good song). I actually think that with some tweaking (ie, deleting) of some of the weaker tracks off this album (which include Tommy and JY songs), it stands right up with Grand Illusion as a GREAT album. My Grand Illusion-style BNW track list is as follows:

1. I Will Be Your Witness (Tommy)
2. Brave New World (Tommy)
3. While There's Still Time (Dennis)
4. Fallen Angel (Dennis)
5. Everything is Cool (Tommy)
6. Heavy Water (JY)
7. Goodbye to Roseland (Dennis)
8. Brave New World (Reprise) (Dennis/Tommy)

That, to me, balances the album like the classics did. A few from Tommy and Dennis (both doing what they do best), and a rockin' JY song. Succinct and without the fat. I think if they put THAT album out in 1999, there would be less to complain about from fans.

EDIT: 5 replies since I typed this. you guys are fast!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »
Lol.  The DD songs you listed are for me I just don't care for.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2017, 09:10:50 PM »
I actually like all the Dennis songs on BNW. While There's Still Time, Fallen Angel, and Goodbye to Roseland are all fantastic ballads, and I even like Great Expectations and High Crimes (even though I totally understand that it is not a very good song). I actually think that with some tweaking (ie, deleting) of some of the weaker tracks off this album (which include Tommy and JY songs), it stands right up with Grand Illusion as a GREAT album. My Grand Illusion-style BNW track list is as follows:

1. I Will Be Your Witness (Tommy)
2. Brave New World (Tommy)
3. While There's Still Time (Dennis)
4. Fallen Angel (Dennis)
5. Everything is Cool (Tommy)
6. Heavy Water (JY)
7. Goodbye to Roseland (Dennis)
8. Brave New World (Reprise) (Dennis/Tommy)

That, to me, balances the album like the classics did. A few from Tommy and Dennis (both doing what they do best), and a rockin' JY song. Succinct and without the fat. I think if they put THAT album out in 1999, there would be less to complain about from fans.

EDIT: 5 replies since I typed this. you guys are fast!

Oh, good god, no.  There isn't a single song on Brave New World as good as any song on The Grand Illusion (or Pieces of Eight, or Equinox).

And you left off the best song, Number One!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
I missed the highlighted.

GOOD GOD MAN!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
lol. to each his own I guess!

Oh, good god, no.  There isn't a single song on Brave New World as good as any song on The Grand Illusion (or Pieces of Eight, or Equinox).

And you left off the best song, Number One!

Everything is Cool and Goodbye to Roseland are both in my Top 10. Number One is awful, IMO.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Yup.  What do you think about The Mission?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »
The Mission may just be my favorite Styx album of all time.. Right up there anyway  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »
Yup.  What do you think about The Mission?

I think I'm in the minority on both accounts where I think the album is just alright, and one of the better songs is Gonex3. It's pretty good, but it loses a lot of momentum after Gone... doesn't really get it back until about halfway through when there's some better songs... I'm looking at the tracklist now. I do like everything from Radio Silence to Red Storm. Then Outpost is good too. Everything else I could lose and be ok with it. And when I say I "like" everything, that's it, I don't LOVE it. I like it. Not as fun as Edge, or Brave, or Cyclorama (as far as post-reunion albums go). It's probably fourth in that category for me.
WELP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
  Gonex3.

Might be one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »
Number One is awful, IMO.

I like it. It is the best song, to me, on album that is lacking anything great. Number One is my favorite song from it and still wouldn't make my top 50.

Gonex3.

There ya go with the exaggerating again! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
  Gonex3.

What? That is one of the most ridiculous outrageous mindblowing things I've ever heard!  ;D

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »
  Gonex3.

What? That is one of the most ridiculous outrageous mindblowing things I've ever heard!  ;D

Alright Tim, settle down haha  :P

Though I'm actually genuinely curious why you don't like it... Is it the awesome riff? Is it the upbeat tempo? Is it the catchy chorus??  :tup

Number One is awful, IMO.

I like it. It is the best song, to me, on album that is lacking anything great. Number One is my favorite song from it and still wouldn't make my top 50.

I mean, yeah, it's definitely not Top 50 material... we can agree on that. :lol
WELP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »
Gone X3 is a good rocking tune.   But damn the rest of the album slays.   I'd say for me it's the bottom of the tier with the JY song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
Gone X3 is a good rocking tune.   But damn the rest of the album slays.   I'd say for me it's the bottom of the tier with the JY song.

Could not agree more.  Gone X3 and Trouble at the Big Show are both solid tunes.  Everything else is pretty great, with the standouts still being, IMO, Red Storm and Locomotive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
A big hell yeah there.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »

Could not agree more.  Gone X3 and Trouble at the Big Show are both solid tunes.  Everything else is pretty great, with the standouts still being, IMO, Red Storm and Locomotive.
Also, Radio Silence and The Greater Good are placed perfectly on this album.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2017, 06:08:02 AM »
Radio Silence and The Outpost would duke it out for the 3rd best song on this record, for me.

The Greater Good is very good, although I think Time May Bend/Ten Thousand Ways would probably place 5th.