Author Topic: Where does the best Pizza come from?  (Read 20042 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Where does the best Pizza come from?
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »
The one thing about pizza, it's almost always good.  Some are just better than others, but I really enjoy pizza in every form I've had it in.  It's definitely the one food that I always answer when asked "What food would you choose if you could only eat one thing the rest of your life?" 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
The one thing about pizza, it's almost always good.  Some are just better than others, but I really enjoy pizza in every form I've had it in.  It's definitely the one food that I always answer when asked "What food would you choose if you could only eat one thing the rest of your life?"
Yeah, only once do I recall pizza that was so awful I couldn't eat it. That was in Pittsburgh. Not sure what's wrong with those people but they're clearly not right somehow. Pizza from buffets is usually pretty weak, but never terrible. I'll certainly still eat it if that's what's available. Down here most of the takeout is generic takeout pizza, but we have plenty of places cranking out Italian style pizza that are very good. Seems a new wood fired, brick oven place is opening every week.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
NYC, and here's why:   every City has at least one or two great pizza joints, but NY, even the late-night, by-the-slice pits are at least very good. 

You need to go to a Lombardi's or something like that - with the brick oven that has been in place since 1935 or so, and let them make the pie the way it's supposed to be made (none of this "chicken ranch BBQ" crap).   

When you're cooking "good" pizza (meaning, fresh dough, not frozen in a hot, brick oven) the difference between "soggy" and "crispy" is literally 60 or 90 seconds.    For me, there is nothing better than walking down the street in NYC with a slice of fresh pizza.   Nowhere better (and I'm sorry, but while I've not been, I've heard from multiple people - some with family still in the old country - that for all Italy's charms - and there are many - pizza is not one of them.  it's more an American thing).

You're from Connecticut, man. New Haven holds 2 or the top 25 pizzas in the country. Where's your pride?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Yeah, only once do I recall pizza that was so awful I couldn't eat it. That was in Pittsburgh. Not sure what's wrong with those people but they're clearly not right somehow. Pizza from buffets is usually pretty weak, but never terrible. I'll certainly still eat it if that's what's available. Down here most of the takeout is generic takeout pizza, but we have plenty of places cranking out Italian style pizza that are very good. Seems a new wood fired, brick oven place is opening every week.

Yup I pretty much feel the same, including your view on Pittsburgh pizza.  Like Dominos gets shit on a lot, rightfully so, it's low end pizza.  But I still enjoy it as a cheap and easy alternative.  Sort of like how I enjoy a Big Mac, but I'm not going to be comparing it to a legit burger.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
Barto and Adami nailed it.  No surprise there.  :lol

Specific to pizza, I can really enjoy and appreciate a lot of different styles.  There is a fantastic Chicago style joint near my office that is some of the best pizza I have ever had.  Very authentic, from what I'm told.  But more importantly to me, very yummy.  There is also a fantastic NY style place in my town, and a buddy of mine from NY says it is authentic and is the only place in the area where he will order pizza himself.  But by the same token, I can also enjoy a pizza from the snack bar at Costco.  All very different.  But all yummy enough, so all good.

And Barto, I hear you on authentic foods.  I have always been pretty adventurous and pretty open minded when it comes to trying foods, and learned very early on that we often have no clue when we label certain foods as belonging to a certain culture.  I am regularly reminded of that fact whenever we invite people over for dinner and in response to my wife asking what they like, we get a response along the lines of, "Oh, can you make Chinese?"  My Chinese-born wife then smiles, asks what specific dishes they have in mind, and simultaneously resigns herself, before even hearing the answer, to the fact that whatever common restaurant dishes they mention next will be nothing that anyone actually eats in China.  :lol  Having been to China myself, I can vouch for that.  For the most part, the places where you can get the real, authentic Chinese food are the places where I am the only (or among very few) non-Chinese in the place and the menu is not written in English. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »
Hef and I would probably beat each other senseless over what constitutes good BBQ.
Obviously my heart is with pulled pork, but I've gotta say, I love some good brisket.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »
I agree with ElBarto on that for the most part these threads devolve into "the best X is where I grew up", which is essentially a variation on "my mom's oatmeal is the best". I have seen people defend their local Chili's menu in their Podunk town, even though they knew very well that it was shoddy chain food made from stale ingredients.

That's why I'm saying from a *culinary* perspective, actual Italian pizzas are probably the best because fresh ingredients is expected, not a bonus.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »

Yup I pretty much feel the same, including your view on Pittsburgh pizza.  Like Dominos gets shit on a lot, rightfully so, it's low end pizza.  But I still enjoy it as a cheap and easy alternative.  Sort of like how I enjoy a Big Mac, but I'm not going to be comparing it to a legit burger.

Yeah, but you can still go much lower than Dominos too.  If you have Little Caesars, you know what I am talking about.  Or the pizza at Chuck E. Cheese.  That makes some buffet pizza seem gourmet by comparison.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
I don't think people really argue about whose Mom makes the best oatmeal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
My mom used to put raisins in oatmeal, so, your mom wins, Hef.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
My mom used to put raisins in oatmeal, so, your mom wins, Hef.
My Mom never made oatmeal.

But I like almonds, Craisins, and brown sugar in mine.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
Yeah, I agree with everyone saying that "the best" is going to be where you're from most of the time. And in the end, the difference between top place might be mostly subjective. I think the whole pizza gatekeeper/elitism thing is dumb honestly, so I don't honestly make statements about it without a touch of irony.

But also, sometimes getting into pointless arguments like whose mom makes the best oatmeal is fun.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
For the most part, the places where you can get the real, authentic Chinese food are the places where I am the only (or among very few) non-Chinese in the place and the menu is not written in English.

Yeah, that's usually a good indicator. Once a place gets visited regularly by tourists they often start adjusting their menu, for the worse usually.
Really annoyed me when I was in India, where there was a buffet for Indians, but I was immediately handed the "Western menu", full of bland adaptation for the "Western palate". Eventually I just started going to the buffet. Ok, it burned going in (and out) the first few days, but eventually I adapted.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »

As a life long Pittsburgher I'd agree with this.  :lol

Luckily there are a couple really good mom and pop places in my town about 30 minutes away from the city.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »
I have seen people defend their local Chili's menu in their Podunk town, even though they knew very well that it was shoddy chain food made from stale ingredients.

Totally that.  :lol  I have had that specific experience a few times.  One notable one that stands out in my mind is when my wife and I were visiting one such Podunk town years ago on a weekend getaway.  This was prior to smart phones and being able to look things up on the fly.  We had stopped at some store or the other, and stopped a local in the parking lot to ask where the locals ate.  As in, what is the best local, off-the-beaten-path, home-cooked eats place in town?  The conversation went something like:

Us:  Excuse me.  We're from out of town and are looking to go out for a nice dinner.  Can you recommend us a good local, down-home type place?
Local:  Oh yeah, definitely!
Us:  :caffeine:
Local:  And close by, too. 
Us:  :caffeine: :caffeine:
Local:  One of my favorites, in fact.
Us:  :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:
Local:  They just built a Red Robin.  It's right over yonder.  Best food in town.
Us:  :|

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 12:14:23 PM »
I predict a massive rush on pizza joints in DTF cities.

I'm going to call The Pie in my local town. Not authentic Italian for sure, but fresh ingredients and moderate cheese.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
I have seen people defend their local Chili's menu in their Podunk town, even though they knew very well that it was shoddy chain food made from stale ingredients.

Totally that.  :lol  I have had that specific experience a few times.  One notable one that stands out in my mind is when my wife and I were visiting one such Podunk town years ago on a weekend getaway.  This was prior to smart phones and being able to look things up on the fly.  We had stopped at some store or the other, and stopped a local in the parking lot to ask where the locals ate.  As in, what is the best local, off-the-beaten-path, home-cooked eats place in town?  The conversation went something like:

Us:  Excuse me.  We're from out of town and are looking to go out for a nice dinner.  Can you recommend us a good local, down-home type place?
Local:  Oh yeah, definitely!
Us:  :caffeine:
Local:  And close by, too. 
Us:  :caffeine: :caffeine:
Local:  One of my favorites, in fact.
Us:  :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:
Local:  They just built a Red Robin.  It's right over yonder.  Best food in town.
Us:  :|

Same. Exact. Experience. "Downtown" Palatka, Florida. Figured I'd make a stop because a sign said "historic downtown". Apparently they confused "delapidated and run down" with "historic". So, I looked for a restaurant, but none to be found. A local gave me glowing reviews for the Chili's on the main strip. Yeah.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
Sweden, because they were the only people ingenious enough to put donner kebab on a pizza.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
Same. Exact. Experience. "Downtown" Palatka, Florida. Figured I'd make a stop because a sign said "historic downtown". Apparently they confused "delapidated and run down" with "historic". So, I looked for a restaurant, but none to be found. A local gave me glowing reviews for the Chili's on the main strip. Yeah.

:rollin  Sometimes I wish I lived in your neck of the woods so we could just forget about debating politics and religion (or debating on the Internet at all) and just hang out and enjoy a good meal and some good real life banter.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
For the most part, the places where you can get the real, authentic Chinese food are the places where I am the only (or among very few) non-Chinese in the place and the menu is not written in English.

Yeah, that's usually a good indicator. Once a place gets visited regularly by tourists they often start adjusting their menu, for the worse usually.
Really annoyed me when I was in India, where there was a buffet for Indians, but I was immediately handed the "Western menu", full of bland adaptation for the "Western palate". Eventually I just started going to the buffet. Ok, it burned going in (and out) the first few days, but eventually I adapted.
And how was it? I was curious about it when you were reporting on your trip. Same food but spicier? Different stuff altogether? And just how hot was it?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »
Price/Quality wise definitely Dominos, there pizza's aren't super amazing but you can combine discount codes. Sometimes you can get two extra large pizza's delivered for about 10 euro's   :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
Sometimes the chain places are actually just fine, particularly the regional ones. The original Chili's (about a mile from where I reside) was fantastic. Great burgers. They made soft tacos out of their chili which were great. They were pioneers in seasoned fries, which came in a giant basket. Even when there were 10 or 12 locations they were good. Eventually they expanded to the point that they had to keep mucking with their menu and it was never the same. Nowadays it largely comes down to what they're trying to do any given quarter.

Down here we have El Fenix, which has been serving the same enchilada special since 1918 (and some Wednesday next year is going to be a monumental event in Dallas). Plenty of places have opened up that make them come across about as well as Taco Bell, but it's still reliable tex-mex as it has been for ages. If someone were in Dallas for just one night it's not where I'd take them, but if they were here for a week I'd suggest hitting it for the lunch special.

Gene Street, founder of Black Eyed Pea, pretty much perfected and popularized the chicken fried steak. While they existed it was still a damned reliable place to eat down here. Even though they're gone, you can still find his CFS at places that splinted off from his BEP venture.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
mmm chicken fried steak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »
Sometimes the chain places are actually just fine, particularly the regional ones. The original Chili's (about a mile from where I reside) was fantastic.

Oh, sure.  I'm not hating on chains at all.  See my comment on Costco pizza.  If it's good, it's good.  We have a Chili's in town, and yeah, the burgers are pretty good, as are other things on the menu.  I like their ribs a lot, even though they can't compare to some good, home-cooked ribs.  My point was just that the chains are a far cry from authentic, home-cooked food.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »

:rollin  Sometimes I wish I lived in your neck of the woods so we could just forget about debating politics and religion (or debating on the Internet at all) and just hang out and enjoy a good meal and some good real life banter.

I have often suspected that were we to meet in real life, we would get along swimmingly.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »

And how was it? I was curious about it when you were reporting on your trip. Same food but spicier? Different stuff altogether? And just how hot was it?

Distinctly different for sure. And yeah, in terms of hotness, I certainly like things hot, but it pushed my limits at least in the beginning. It's probably for the better that they create Western menus, because a lot of people don't really like spicy.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »

I have often suspected that were we to meet in real life, we would get along swimmingly.

I was going to ask to join, but if you guys are going to go swimming......maybe not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »

I was going to ask to join, but if you guys are going to go swimming......maybe not.

Aww.  :(  But I hear that if you haven't been swimming in Boston Harbor in March, you haven't been swimming.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 01:24:08 PM »
Oh I just don't swim. I can swim, I think (it's been a long time) but I just do not swim.

I'll put my feet in though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »

Distinctly different for sure. And yeah, in terms of hotness, I certainly like things hot, but it pushed my limits at least in the beginning. It's probably for the better that they create Western menus, because a lot of people don't really like spicy.
I guess what I was wondering is if it's the same dishes prepared differently, or if they cook completely different dishes for themselves. A person in China wouldn't know WTF orange beef is. Are the Indians still eating saag paneer and vindaloo, just prepared differently?
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
I just had orange beef for the first time last weekend, it was delish.  My chinese coworker gets so mad when I talk about "chinese food"  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »
Sometimes the chain places are actually just fine, particularly the regional ones. The original Chili's (about a mile from where I reside) was fantastic.

Oh, sure.  I'm not hating on chains at all.  See my comment on Costco pizza.  If it's good, it's good.  We have a Chili's in town, and yeah, the burgers are pretty good, as are other things on the menu.  I like their ribs a lot, even though they can't compare to some good, home-cooked ribs.  My point was just that the chains are a far cry from authentic, home-cooked food.

Don't laugh, but for me, Olive Garden would be a consideration for my last meal.   I used to love Outback too, but they got expensive and the last couple of steaks were REALLY salty.  Like, TOO salty. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
NYC, and here's why:   every City has at least one or two great pizza joints, but NY, even the late-night, by-the-slice pits are at least very good. 

You need to go to a Lombardi's or something like that - with the brick oven that has been in place since 1935 or so, and let them make the pie the way it's supposed to be made (none of this "chicken ranch BBQ" crap).   

When you're cooking "good" pizza (meaning, fresh dough, not frozen in a hot, brick oven) the difference between "soggy" and "crispy" is literally 60 or 90 seconds.    For me, there is nothing better than walking down the street in NYC with a slice of fresh pizza.   Nowhere better (and I'm sorry, but while I've not been, I've heard from multiple people - some with family still in the old country - that for all Italy's charms - and there are many - pizza is not one of them.  it's more an American thing).

You're from Connecticut, man. New Haven holds 2 or the top 25 pizzas in the country. Where's your pride?

No doubt; Pepe's, Sally's (they're right next door to each other) and Moderne (right down the road, with an AWESOME Italian bakery in between) are all stellar, but they're variations on the NY pizza, and, well, yeah. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2017, 02:16:57 PM »
The best pizza I think I've ever had was in a strip mall in Queens. I can't remember the name, though I think I would recognize it. It was right off the main street.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »

No doubt; Pepe's, Sally's (they're right next door to each other) and Moderne (right down the road, with an AWESOME Italian bakery in between) are all stellar, but they're variations on the NY pizza, and, well, yeah.

I saw both of them on a TV show.  I think it was Food Paradise.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC