Author Topic: Very old photos  (Read 21306 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Very old photos
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 07:51:20 AM »
A picture of Levittown, NY when it was built:

And today:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »
Some of the pictures are incredible, but I personally like to see the modern photos as well. Especially if the photographer has taken the shot in an identical spot to the original.*
A classic example of this is when you see a street (even as not-so-far back as the 70's), and the same street today. Even something as little as the amount of cars parked on the side of the road makes me want to view hundreds more of the same.

Same here, it's a slightly different fascination than the one I started this thread about but I do appreciate it too, Í love trying to point out the things that survived from the older photo in the newer one.

Some pictures of Maori communities in old colonial days

Cool stuff, I love how these people look like they didn't understand what the photographer was doing to them, I doubt their culture knew about cameras at that point.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Drakkhim

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
https://www.shorpy.com is an incredible site for old photographs.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »
Abraham Lincoln inauguration at the White House 1861

The only known photograph of Lincoln giving a speech was taken as he delivered his second inaugural address. Here, he stands in the center, with papers in his hand.

Wikipedia also has a hi-res version of this picture, I've looked at this photo for a long time when I first saw it a couple years ago.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Lincoln_second.jpg
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
Some pictures of Maori communities in old colonial days

Cool stuff, I love how these people look like they didn't understand what the photographer was doing to them, I doubt their culture knew about cameras at that point.
Possibly. It depends when the photos were taken.

I looked for some portrait shots that were taken of the chiefs done up in traditional garb but couldn't find any. Those are really great.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:50 AM »
https://www.shorpy.com is an incredible site for old photographs.

:eek

I like the first one there from 1917, looks like it could have been taken today at lunch!

(For some reason I can't link to the preview pic).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
The only known photograph of Lincoln giving a speech was taken as he delivered his second inaugural address. Here, he stands in the center, with papers in his hand.
Slightly less security back then I see... :P

Offline j

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
Those are some sweet pics of the Alamo, metty.   :tup

I also really like the one of Lincoln's second inaugural address.

-J

EDIT: The Maori settlement pictures that Fluffy posted are really cool too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 09:22:26 AM »
I dunno when smiling was invented but certinly not in the 1800's as far as almost every photo I've seen is concerned heh

You know what, myself being a member of one of those online dating sites, I wish people still didn't smile on pictures. The forced smile just gets on your nerves after a while.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »
This one is painting and photo, but this is another then and now of Unter den Linden in Berlin. I took the photo as close as I could to the position of the painting. Since I was working from memory, I got pretty damn close.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
This one is painting and photo, but this is another then and now of Unter den Linden in Berlin. I took the photo as close as I could to the position of the painting. Since I was working from memory, I got pretty damn close.

Nice! I can count 3 buildings that are still there with the statues still over them.
You'd notice in the new picture you took the buildings look new, my guess is they keep painting them from time to time, which is the same thing they do with really old buildings in Cairo and I really hate it, how amazing would that stuff be if it was left alone? I'd truly feel the years it survived screaming at me.
When I asked this question in Cairo some told me it's because they'd look so ugly when they age that much and some told me it's to keep the building standing and in good shape, I dunno which excuse is more annoying than the other.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2009, 05:43:52 PM »

General Keitel signing Germany's unconditional surrender in WW2.

Offline staveoffzombies

• Mostly Harmless
  • Oversized hats are cute.
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »
I love the old, early color photos.  Makes it seem even more like you're looking at real people if that makes any sense.

You look at black and white and it screams "OLD" at you.  Bring it into color and it seems like they could be people you'd see walking down the street today.

That one someone posted of the WWI soldiers was especially striking in that regard.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:34 AM »
Well then you're in for a treat if you haven't seen these yet:

https://www.fuckthemeat.com/foto2/naziincolor/5.jpg

My favorite set of old colored pictures, Nazi Germany in colors.

Change the picture number in the link from 1 to 100, great stuff.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:08:20 AM by metty »

Offline jasc15

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
Amazing.  The color photos make it seem so much more recent.

Sort of related; I visited a concentration camp last year, and my thoughts as i left were of just how recent it seemed.  You may hear of horrific events like that in history, but they are typically removed from your awareness by centuries.  This was practically yesterday, and that left me really feeling what I saw.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

This is from 1911.  Man that's so awesome.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
Sorry, but it had to be done...

"He went that way"

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »
When you look at pictures like this, it makes you wonder how the hell they lost.

And this is awesome, because I don't think I've seen Hitler laughing/out of uniform before.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »
When you look at pictures like this, it makes you wonder how the hell they lost.

And this is awesome, because I don't think I've seen Hitler laughing/out of uniform before.

Whoa.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »
The "Baker" explosion, part of Operation Crossroads, a nuclear weapon test by the United States military at Bikini Atoll, Micronesia, on 25 July 1946(1946-07-25). The wider, exterior cloud is actually just a condensation cloud caused by the Wilson chamber effect, and was very brief. There was no classic mushroom cloud rising to the stratosphere, but inside the condensation cloud the top of the water geyser formed a mushroom-like head called the cauliflower, which fell back into the lagoon (compare with this image, a photo taken slightly later, after the condensation cloud had cleared). The water released by the explosion was highly radioactive and contaminated many of the ships that were set up near it. Some were otherwise undamaged and sent to Hunter's Point in San Francisco, California, United States, for decontamination. Those which could not be decontaminated were sunk a number of miles off the coast of San Francisco. Full size: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Operation_Crossroads_Baker_Edit.jpg

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2009, 11:36:55 PM »
^ ^
holy... fuck.. DUDE THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »

Lou Salomé, Paul Rée and Friedrich Nietzsche, 1882.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
I live in a town that more than 250 years old. We have a book of the whole history of our town. There are tons of pictures that show places 100+ years ago and how they are today, its really fascinating.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »

WTF?  How has this not been stolen and used as a meme yet?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
I live in a town that more than 250 years old. We have a book of the whole history of our town. There are tons of pictures that show places 100+ years ago and how they are today, its really fascinating.
Please tell me it's Hill Valley?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »
I found this picture of Stalin, FDR, Churchill & Hitler, I thought it was brilliantly excuted, could make a great WW2 movie poster heh

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
The "Baker" explosion, part of Operation Crossroads, a nuclear weapon test by the United States military at Bikini Atoll, Micronesia, on 25 July 1946(1946-07-25). The wider, exterior cloud is actually just a condensation cloud caused by the Wilson chamber effect, and was very brief. There was no classic mushroom cloud rising to the stratosphere, but inside the condensation cloud the top of the water geyser formed a mushroom-like head called the cauliflower, which fell back into the lagoon (compare with this image, a photo taken slightly later, after the condensation cloud had cleared). The water released by the explosion was highly radioactive and contaminated many of the ships that were set up near it. Some were otherwise undamaged and sent to Hunter's Point in San Francisco, California, United States, for decontamination. Those which could not be decontaminated were sunk a number of miles off the coast of San Francisco. Full size: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Operation_Crossroads_Baker_Edit.jpg

That article is very interesting...

Here it is at the moment it exploded
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

WTF?  How has this not been stolen and used as a meme yet?

I know!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2009, 02:56:44 AM »
Premiere night for a Chaplin movie in New York, 1940

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2009, 02:59:58 AM »
Damn that's cool. Must of been chaos waiting to get in.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2009, 03:02:39 AM »
hehe yea, btw I think Police men uniform was much cooler back then!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 07:22:02 AM »
Some of these pictures have been posted but this is a complete collection as far as I can tell. Really interesting!!
https://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/10/21/color-photography-from-russian-in-the-early-1900s/

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »