Author Topic: KXM (Pinnick, Lynch, Luzier)  (Read 2508 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
KXM (Pinnick, Lynch, Luzier)
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:53:06 PM »
Forgot about these guys, but this video was just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD40-CJljas

I like it.  Release date is today, and I will likely pick this up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: KXM (Pinnick, Lynch, Luzier)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
Same here.  I will be picking this up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
I am all over this.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »
Just randomly found out about this. Sounds really great. Dogman era heaviness with new twists from guitar and drums. The dude from Korn is pretty impressive on drums...

them guitar solos tho:

Relatively new video, from 11/24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syySR57Koi0

This projects rocks  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  Haven't listened to this in awhile.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
I got this cd but never really gave it a proper listening to.  I have to fix that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
No problem.

Bosk, let us know how it's aged for you.

Wolf -- let us know if you like.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
Bosk, let us know how it's aged for you.

I hate to say it, but I haven't listened to it enough to really say how it has aged.  Listening to it now, I do like it.  It's not great, but it's pretty good.  I need to absorb it more. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 04:38:55 AM »
Just randomly found out about this. Sounds really great. Dogman era heaviness with new twists from guitar and drums. The dude from Korn is pretty impressive on drums...

them guitar solos tho:

Relatively new video, from 11/24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syySR57Koi0

This projects rocks  :metal
Yeah, my favourite drums recording of the year. Very impressive indeed!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »
KXM2 due out 2016

Loved the debut KXM and it still gets in the rotation list.  Probably my favorite recent project of George Lynch, including recent Lynch Mob.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:56:24 AM »
Didn't do much for me, but to be honest, I didn't spend a lot of time on it.  Should spin it again.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 06:20:51 AM »
Glad to know! The first was a great album and IMO with the most impressive drum work of 2014!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 06:23:01 AM »
Didn't do much for me, but to be honest, I didn't spend a lot of time on it.  Should spin it again.

Similar - musicianship is great but to me it was too "jammy" .........a bit like Chickenfoot where the sum of the parts wasn't what I might have expected.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 06:27:49 AM »
Chickenfoot I can't even listen to.  I at least can spin KXM.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 07:09:33 AM »
As a big fan of Satchs vocal songs I had high hopes for Chickenfoot. Didn't do anything for me on any level. Can't even say the guitar playing stood out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »

Similar - musicianship is great but to me it was too "jammy" .........a bit like Chickenfoot where the sum of the parts wasn't what I might have expected.

Yeah, kind of the same too.  It was okay I guess, but since it didn't knock my socks off, I just moved on.

Calvin6s

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »
Glad to know! The first was a great album and IMO with the most impressive drum work of 2014!

I loved the drum work immensely as well.  In fact, it would probably improve my songwriting skills if I transcribed Ray's work because it is *busy* but it doesn't feel busy.

Don't remember exactly which clinic/live jam it was, but in the early to mid 90s, Ray was a stable drummer for the Shrapnel guys.  It was probably a jam with Darren Housholder as I recall going to a few of Darren's clinics.  There was something really special about him back then.  I remember hearing he got the Korn gig and thinking "wait, that's the Shrapnel drummer dude.  He's in Korn now?  Strange."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
Cool story! And yes, what is really impressive in Ray's drumming on KXM is the complexity applied in songs not too complex without sounding like he's overplaying.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:22:56 PM by devieira73 »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:38 PM »
I like it a good bit. Its not as -showy(?)- as you'd expect with the parts involved but I thought the songs were just good tunes and the music was quality. I still give it a listen fairly often. Good to see they're doing more work together.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »
Hmm.  Cautiously optimistic.  But I went from really excited to really bored VERY quickly with the last album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
Not played the video yet - the telecaster shape of Lynch's guitar is putting me off. Hate telecasters with a passion.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
Lol, really? They have a song called "Panic Attack" and a song called "Never Enough", back to back in that order.  :lol
Come on Dug, surely that seemed familiar.
Still, very excited for new KXM.  I played the crap out of that first album all throughout 2014.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
I'm a fan of this band just for Ray Luzier alone! ;D
What a performance on the first CD! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »
The new song is different, but good. Much more progressive than anything on the first album. The instrumental section and solo were very good. It's nice to see they're still branching out and not just sticking to a formula.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »
Lol, really? They have a song called "Panic Attack" and a song called "Never Enough", back to back in that order.  :lol
Come on Dug, surely that seemed familiar.
Still, very excited for new KXM.  I played the crap out of that first album all throughout 2014.
Could've at least picked good DT songs. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 11:56:28 PM »
I'm not really a Lynch fan, and couldn't care less about anything to do with Korn, but will give this a shot because of Doug. I'm listening to the first one now.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
bump

The new album is out now, anybody listened to it yet?

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
I preordered it and it arrived a couple days before the official release date. I definitely like it better than the first album. I've never really been a huge George Lynch fan, mainly just because Dokken never did much for me and I never listened to any of his solo stuff, but his playing on this album really blew me away. The solo in Breakout instantly became one of my all time favorites. Breakout, Noises in the Sky, True Deceivers, and Angel are all fantastic songs. I really enjoy this album, there's a lot more to it than the debut album, which I liked, but wasn't blown away by.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
I preordered it and it arrived a couple days before the official release date. I definitely like it better than the first album. I've never really been a huge George Lynch fan, mainly just because Dokken never did much for me and I never listened to any of his solo stuff, but his playing on this album really blew me away. The solo in Breakout instantly became one of my all time favorites. Breakout, Noises in the Sky, True Deceivers, and Angel are all fantastic songs. I really enjoy this album, there's a lot more to it than the debut album, which I liked, but wasn't blown away by.

Similar thoughts. It's a more cohesive album than the debut but man, Lynch's playing is great (and that guitar sounds...sweet!!). I'm definitely enjoying KXM (both albums) a lot more than The Winery Dogs releases.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
Forgot about this coming. I ordered it for $8.99 from Best Buy.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
Just can't get into it. The vocals are horrible. I'm a Lynch fan so always want to check his stuff out. I don't always like it and I'll be giving this a miss.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
Do you not like Pinnick's vocals in general, or is it just the vocals on this album?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Do you not like Pinnick's vocals in general, or is it just the vocals on this album?

Don't like them at all, so it's not a big surprise. He's the reason I could never get into Kings X. Nearly kills Lines In The Sand for me too.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
The first record had good moments for sure. It didn't blow me away, but I like Doug Pinnick's voice, and of course, there is George Lynch. So the second record was on my radar, but I wasn't running out to buy it. I realized it was out today, listened to some clips, it sounds really good -- like you could tell they spent a lot more time. George's playing sounds really cool. So I ordered it. 8.99 -- even if it sucks, it's just 9 bucks, and it isn;'t going to suck. I'll have it Sunday...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!